3 Year Speculation Test10059

Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
If you have to depend on the sale of some comic books in a financial emergency you most certain need to seek the help of a financial planner. If a few thousand dollars is all that stands between financial ruin I would suggest you start allocating your money to a good mutual fund and make sure your 401k is fully funded.

Any comic books I purchase are with disposable income only.

An article in 2017 stated "An estimated 69% of U.S. adults have less than $1,000 in savings, while 34% have no savings at all." and "16 million households have a negative net worth"

A financial planner can help you focus on how and where to spend money, but they can't do much planning with something you simply don't have.

It's a simple fact that people who "have" a lot of money, have no understanding what it's like to live week to week with no money.

At work, people tell me I'm rich. I loan people $200 or less with no interest just to get through to the next week. I do it because I used to be struggling from week to week and I know what it's like.

As odd as it sounds, comics were actually a significant source of income for me in the years I struggled the most.

Not to get too off topic or bog things down, but it sounds like, and seems like a lot of people here do what in the finance world would be called "day-trading." Essentially, you're making a lot of transactions for small profits, rather than the buy and hold and then selling for a big profit.

I say this as someone who has been in the finance business for 14 years, and is licensed.
Now before you ask my advice, keep in mind I still own blockbuster stock.

But, I only mention it because While I see the argument for "don't spend money on comics if you don't have it," I can also see people spending $4 to make $5 really quickly.

Profit is profit.

There are different types of people, but I agree with your observation here.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@EbaySeller @Steverogers11 You both have Cap 117 on your list. Is there more speculation out there on the Falcon? Or do you just think the book has more room to appreciate in value?

In the MCU the character has wide audience appeal. Falcon is entertaining, well-liked and well, uh, ahem, um, well...black. I think the character has a long future in the MCU and $300 for a 7.0 range book seems pretty low relative to first appearances like black widow and hawkeye, although I'm sure the book is easier to find.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Not to get too off topic or bog things down, but it sounds like, and seems like a lot of people here do what in the finance world would be called "day-trading." Essentially, you're making a lot of transactions for small profits, rather than the buy and hold and then selling for a big profit.

But, I only mention it because While I see the argument for "don't spend money on comics if you don't have it," I can also see people spending $4 to make $5 really quickly.

Profit is profit.

I think a lot of us sell to pay for our buying habits. I want to make sure that in any given year or even month my sales amount is greater than my purchase amount. I know that I would have been better off to buy-and-hold, but I would have had a lot less money to buy with and I would have a lot less fun. I don't really make meaningful amounts of money but I enjoy buying enough to make me sell. Like a catch-and-release fisherman I guess.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I think he said it well, Anything I buy for speculation really is for me a way to defray future purchases for my collection. Sometimes that goes rather well and sometimes you wind up holding the bag.....
I do fairly well buying books and rehoming them over time, often I also take advantage of MCS and their grading methods. Their auction sales tend to undergrade, and you can often spot books well worth the effort to clean up a bit and retrade or resell.Works for me.....I don't need comics to provide me peanut butter and jelly for my sandwiches, but it is nice sometimes to read a free comic while I am eating them
Post 29 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I have an illogical issue against selling my books. I’ve sold a handful over the past few years, most I end up with profit. Most recently I’ve done some trading with ppl here. It’s easier psychologically to trade.

I imagine I’d the time comes where I am ready to let them go it will be nearly all of them within a very short amount of time.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
House of Secrets 92 8.0
Tales of Suspense 52 8.0 (White Pages)
Hulk 181 6.5
Fantastic Four 48 4.0
Giant Size X-Men 1 4.0
Amazing Spider-Man 14 4.5 (White Pages)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (2nd print) signed & sketched by Kevin Eastman) (White Pages)
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I think a lot of us sell to pay for our buying habits. I want to make sure that in any given year or even month my sales amount is greater than my purchase amount. I know that I would have been better off to buy-and-hold, but I would have had a lot less money to buy with and I would have a lot less fun. I don't really make meaningful amounts of money but I enjoy buying enough to make me sell. Like a catch-and-release fisherman I guess.

I totally get it. Just to clarify, I wasn’t passing judgement; just mentioning there are different strategies to collecting.

I buy and hold, but that’s because I’m not smart enough to flip for profit that quickly.

Plus, I’m a fan and can’t easily get rid of a comic. You should see my runs of Exiles and Thunderbolts. No one ever clamors for those! : )
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Captain Victory run, Amethyst run, I get you. Likely poor investments
Post 33 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
This was tough.. I have more than 5 or 6 I'd keep but here goes

Captain America #1 a page with all three first appearances on it Cap, Bucky & Red Skull

Ditko package #1 signed Steve Ditko and verified by CBCS

House of Secrets #92

Fantastic Four #48

Vampirella #1

Hulk 180

yep I Know there's 6 but there could be 6 more.. I have some books from the early 40's I'd never part with
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
I approached my list a little different. Certainly some keys that are heating up, but comparatively have, I believe, much room to grow, particularly when evaluating the potential pop culture impact of some of the characters. Books that can be had in nice grades at reasonable price points at this time, compared with where I believe they ultimately could end up once introduced to the general public (or properly done finally, e.g. Batgirl, Medusa) The last, TOD 3, is the first appearance of Rachael Van Helsing, purely speculative, but would not surprise as a key figure in the Blade relaunch.

Mister Miracle 4

Hawkman 4

Batman 139

Detective Comics 359

Fantastic Four 36

WWBN 32

Tomb of Dracula 3
Post 35 IP   flag post
A few more books that may not have huge upside but I consider to be under-valued currently and pick up when I find a great deal:

Daredevil 131 first Bullseye
Daredevil 168 first Electra
Marvel Super Special #16 true First Bobba Fett
Swamp Thing #2, first Anton Arcane and #3, first Daughter Arcane
Shazam #28 First Silver Age Black Adam...I really believe in this one given the success of Shazam movie.
X-men Annual 14, true first Gambit
Strange Tales #180 first Gammora, especially cheap right now.

I continue to hold out hope that DC will figure out that Legionnaire Lone Wolf is the original Wolverine and do something with the character that would cause his first appearance in Adventure Comics #327 to pop in value. I have like 8 copies!
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
At some stage I am going to liquidate most of my storage. I intend to sell those below $1500 and keep those above
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
At some stage I am going to liquidate most of my storage. I intend to sell those below $1500 and keep those above

And when that time comes I hope I will have the finances available to assist in that liquidation!!
Post 38 IP   flag post
601511 38 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?