Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleFor Sale

Looking to trade for a Tank Girl #1, 1991, Dark Horse10028

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I've been looking for a decent, affordable copy of Tank Girl #1 for a while now. I decided to get serious a couple weeks ago. The ones I found that were decent priced, got snatched up before I had the funds. I made offers on ones that I felt were overpriced and none of my offers were accepted. Last night, Tank Girl on facebook announced that a movie may be in the works with Margot Robbie. Overnight, 6 or 7 slabs got sold between MCS and eBay. A copy on eBay that was had a tape pull on the cover and was overpriced (one that I made an offer on) also got sold. So, now I'm looking to trade. I'm more than happy with a raw copy. I'd prefer that the cards were still attached inside. Overall condition is negotiable.

What do I have to offer?? I have a Doctor strange #169 CBCS 5.0. I also have a Wolverine #1 9.2 CBCS. I also have a Captain America #100 4.5 CBCS. I also have some original art that I'd part with. I have a few Captain America published pages, a Black Panther pinup by Ken Landgraf and a few other pieces. I have a bunch of raw comics, mostly Marvel (no Spidey or Hulk though). I have some Strange Tales and a few Avengers from issue 90ish to 110ish (not 100). Let me know what you are looking for and I'll see if I have anything.

I'm willing to work a fair trade with multiple books or book and cash going either way. Shipping will probably be close to offsetting, but that can be discussed also. Any cash would have to go through Paypal goods and services. Here are pictures of what I mentioned above starting with the TG that want.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ninjarobert private msg quote post Address this user
Hope you get one.

The initial hype was crazy. My dreams of acquiring Deadline #1 died (for a while) after that announcement.

Hope it dies down fast!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I had 1, 2 & 4 (all bought off of Ebay) but they have all been sold off.

I usually check them out when I see them on dealer's walls at shows but far too many have spine ticks and other problems.

I am not sure if I ever bought any raw copies.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector nik private msg quote post Address this user
If I may make a suggestion. Try conventions with some of the vendors, got my copy of Tank Girl #1 at a con via Four Color Collectibles that are based in Ottawa
Post 5 IP   flag post
@nik I'd love to, but I don't make it to conventions.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Why not? Found some real "jems" at conventions. Plus when you get to know the vendors you can strike up deals; like I have with Four Color Collectibles. You could look them up on facebook though, might be able to help you out, just a thought
Post 7 IP   flag post
@nik There are a number of factors.

First, I live in rural Minnesota. I'm about two and a half hours west of the Twin Cities near the South Dakota border. So even going to one of the "local" cons in the Cities is an all day event.

To complicate it, I became disabled about 10 years ago. So transportation is an issue as I'd need to bring a walker as well as a wheelchair. I'd never be able to walk around a convention on my own.

Plus, being disabled, my only source of income is Social Security Disability Insurance. So, finances are limited.

I'm not complaining and I don't want sympathy, but those are the facts of my situation. I went from walking and working to being crippled and unemployed in about 4 hours due to an allergic reaction to shots that I got in my knees. My knees are now bone on bone.

Still, I am more fortunate than some. My SSDI is enough to pay my bills and let me enjoy this hobby of ours. I'll never be in the "big leagues", but I'm completely comfortable with that!!! I hope that explains why cons are not really an option for me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Just remembered, I may be going to a con at the end of the month will keep an out for a good deal on nice copy!
Post 9 IP   flag post
@ninjarobert Thanks. I've got a number of feelers out, but I'll keep this thread updated. I don't want anyone to go out of their way, but if anyone does come across one, I'd appreciate it!! Even if they just get the dealers name, I can always contact them and try to work something out.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O my bad. I could ask my buddy who runs Four Color Collectibles if you wish
Post 11 IP   flag post
@nik No worries. It's my reality right now. One bonus is that I now have the time to spend all day on comic book forums!!! LOL!!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

I will keep a look out as well.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
If your a fan, and just want to complete other parts of the run, I have been getting Judge Dredd Megazine for about 25+ years and they serialized another tank girl story a few years ago. They are magazine size and would have been read, but would be in good condtion- and since its an anthology, theres always great Dredd, and Dredd world stories. If your interested I can track them down the lot. I think it was 12 issues.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
This one seems reasonably priced. They categorize as 9.4 & it has a best offer option.

clickable text
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Enelson I'd definitely be interested in those Dredd magazines!! Is that 2,000 AD??

I appreciate everyone sending me leads!!! The copies that are $100 and over are why I thought I'd try the trade route. That's a bit beyond my budget. Before the announcement, they sold for $35-$50 in raw nm condition. I always figured I could pick one up for around that price since there was no hype around Tank Girl. And, as is my luck, when I decide to finally track one down, they make a new movie announcement!!!

I'm still hopeful that I can pick one up for the old price. I have a couple leads that I waiting to hear back from. I'll keep everyone here up to date.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@Enelson I'd definitely be interested in those Dredd magazines!! Is that 2,000 AD??

I appreciate everyone sending me leads!!! The copies that are $100 and over are why I thought I'd try the trade route. That's a bit beyond my budget. Before the announcement, they sold for $35-$50 in raw nm condition. I always figured I could pick one up for around that price since there was no hype around Tank Girl. And, as is my luck, when I decide to finally track one down, they make a new movie announcement!!!

I'm still hopeful that I can pick one up for the old price. I have a couple leads that I waiting to hear back from. I'll keep everyone here up to date.

Wow, didn't realize prices on this one went up that high. Good luck on your hunt for a reasonable price. I'm sure there out there to be had!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

No there are two dredd titles in the UK, they have 2000ad and they have the Judge Dredd Megazine. I'll track them down and get back to you with pics, condition.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Well, I wouldn’t get too worried. In my experience, the rumor of a movie can spike the price of a book as much if not more than an official announcement.

Since it’s not the official first appearance, the price on this issue should settle down quicker than Deadline #1 (which, to me, though expensive, seemed undervalued for a while now).

#1 will probably be a $50 book after the movie, or 6 months to a year from now if now further announcements happen.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@00slim part of me hopes that is true and another part of me wants TG to take off and stay up there!!! LOL!!! And actually, Deadline #1 wasn't even her first appearance. Her first appearance was in a fanzine. I forget the name of it right now, but I do have a picture of the page where she was introduced. But the thing about the Dark Horse copy is that it is her first US appearance.

Post 20 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Yeah, it’s one of those things like Spawn in Malibu Sun VS. Spawn 1, or Hellboy and his preview appearance even before SDCC Comics.

Wasn’t she like “Rocket Girl” or something in the Fanzine?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Close. I just copied this from wikipedia. The fanzine was Atomtan.

"Martin and Hewlett first met in the mid-1980s in Worthing, while studying at The West Sussex College of Art and Design (WSCD, later renamed Northbrook College). Martin was in college band The University Smalls with fellow comics enthusiast Philip Bond. One of their songs was called "Rocket Girl". They had started adding the suffix 'girl' to everything habitually after the release of the Supergirl movie, but "Rocket Girl" was a student at college who Bond had a crush on and apparently bore a striking resemblance to a Love and Rockets character. They began collaborating on a comic/fanzine called Atomtan, and while working on this, Jamie had drawn

"a grotty looking beefer of a girl brandishing an unfeasible firearm. One of our friends was working on a project to design a pair of headphones and was basing his design on the type used by World War II tank driver. His studio in Worthing was littered with loads of photocopies of combat vehicles. I pinched one of the images and gave it to Jamie who then stuck it behind his grotty girl illustration and then added a logo which read 'Tank Girl"."
Post 22 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

Here’s some more info from tank-girl.com:

“[On] 7th June 1987, we launched our photocopied fanzine Atom Tan, which featured the first printed appearance of Tank Girl”.

Post 23 IP   flag post
I just bought a copy off of eBay. I'm a bit nervous as it looks like the seller has not done much on eBay. He had a two star rating.But he had clear pictures and it was affordable. It's not near mint, but it's decent. It has non color breaking creases on the cover. (Looking closer, there may be some color loss on some of them, maybe.) It's like someone had a grocery list laying on top of the comic and crossed off some items. I'm thinking they will press out if I want to get it graded. Regardless, I got a copy!!!! I want to thank everyone for the offers of helping me find one!!!! I really do appreciate it!!! So, with that, I'm no longer offering any of these books up for trade. Thanks again!!

And for some reason, eBay hasn't marked it as paid yet on "my eBay". When I check the Paypal transaction, it says the seller hasn't accepted the payment yet. Anyone ever run into this? I got an email from eBay saying that the sale is confirmed and one from Paypal with a receipt.

I'm hoping this goes through. I've not run into this before.

Anyways, here are the pics.

Post 24 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This movie hype with comic books is dumb. Tank Girl is already a 1995 movie with that ugly chick Lori Petty.

Why would a reboot 25 years later make comics go up suddenly? This makes no sense. I see this time and time again. Millennials. Am I right? I bet you guys never heard of Ozzy Osborne either.

I appreciate the love for Tank Girl. I love that movie and original comics personally. I made a ton of money off my Tank Girl vintage t-shirts, specifically "Water and Power" logo t-shirts back in the day.
Post 25 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I just bought a copy off of eBay. I'm a bit nervous as it looks like the seller has not done much on eBay. He had a two star rating.But he had clear pictures and it was affordable. It's not near mint, but it's decent. It has non color breaking creases on the cover. (Looking closer, there may be some color loss on some of them, maybe.) It's like someone had a grocery list laying on top of the comic and crossed off some items. I'm thinking they will press out if I want to get it graded. Regardless, I got a copy!!!! I want to thank everyone for the offers of helping me find one!!!! I really do appreciate it!!! So, with that, I'm no longer offering any of these books up for trade. Thanks again!!

And for some reason, eBay hasn't marked it as paid yet on "my eBay". When I check the Paypal transaction, it says the seller hasn't accepted the payment yet. Anyone ever run into this? I got an email from eBay saying that the sale is confirmed and one from Paypal with a receipt.

I'm hoping this goes through. I've not run into this before.

Anyways, here are the pics.

Congrats on getting your book!! Its looks great!! Its always great to see collectors acquiring their desired prize. 🍻
Post 26 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I hope you aren't referring to me. My kids are millennials!!! LOL!! In fact, most of my kids were born before the movie came out. Me, I've always loved the movie and I'm very much enjoying the new Tank Girl comics. I'm late to the show for Tank Girl, but I wasn't actively collecting comics when my kids were in diapers. The diapers kind of took priority. So now I'm getting into TG.

I think another movie is a great idea!!!! Yes, the first one was very campy and corny, but that's what it was meant to be. I'm hoping that they do another movie and make it a big budget one. I think there is a lot of freedom with the characters to really do just about anything with them.

And everyone knows who Ozzy is!!!! My kids know who Ozzy is!!!! The real question is, do you know who Randy Rhoads and Jimi Hendrix are??? Or actually, since we're talking Tank Girls, do you know who Sid Vicious and Johnny Ramone were?
Post 27 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yes I know who all of those people are. No, I was referring to the millenials who cause the comic book market to go up when a reboot is rumored or optioned, and they lay claim that Post Malone jumpstarted Ozzy's career.

Since we are on the topic of corny, cheesy, and campy - here are some movies that deserve the modern reboot darker take:

Flash Gordon
The Phantom
The Rocketeer
Post 28 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I agree that those movies do deserve a remake!!!! I'd love to see what they could do with Flash Gordon with all the technology today!!

As for millenials driving the hype, yeah, it is frustrating!!!! But it is what is. I think we always secretly craved that comics would be more mainstream, but we never thought it all the way through to the consequences. Now we're seeing it!!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
That's very insightful, @Jesse_O.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601434 54 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?