Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleFor Sale

Looking to trade for a Tank Girl #1, 1991, Dark Horse10028

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I just bought a copy off of eBay. I'm a bit nervous as it looks like the seller has not done much on eBay. He had a two star rating.But he had clear pictures and it was affordable. It's not near mint, but it's decent. It has non color breaking creases on the cover. (Looking closer, there may be some color loss on some of them, maybe.) It's like someone had a grocery list laying on top of the comic and crossed off some items. I'm thinking they will press out if I want to get it graded. Regardless, I got a copy!!!! I want to thank everyone for the offers of helping me find one!!!! I really do appreciate it!!! So, with that, I'm no longer offering any of these books up for trade. Thanks again!!

And for some reason, eBay hasn't marked it as paid yet on "my eBay". When I check the Paypal transaction, it says the seller hasn't accepted the payment yet. Anyone ever run into this? I got an email from eBay saying that the sale is confirmed and one from Paypal with a receipt.

I'm hoping this goes through. I've not run into this before.

Anyways, here are the pics.

Congrats on getting your book!! Its looks great!! Its always great to see collectors acquiring their desired prize. 🍻
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke I hope you aren't referring to me. My kids are millennials!!! LOL!! In fact, most of my kids were born before the movie came out. Me, I've always loved the movie and I'm very much enjoying the new Tank Girl comics. I'm late to the show for Tank Girl, but I wasn't actively collecting comics when my kids were in diapers. The diapers kind of took priority. So now I'm getting into TG.

I think another movie is a great idea!!!! Yes, the first one was very campy and corny, but that's what it was meant to be. I'm hoping that they do another movie and make it a big budget one. I think there is a lot of freedom with the characters to really do just about anything with them.

And everyone knows who Ozzy is!!!! My kids know who Ozzy is!!!! The real question is, do you know who Randy Rhoads and Jimi Hendrix are??? Or actually, since we're talking Tank Girls, do you know who Sid Vicious and Johnny Ramone were?
Post 27 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yes I know who all of those people are. No, I was referring to the millenials who cause the comic book market to go up when a reboot is rumored or optioned, and they lay claim that Post Malone jumpstarted Ozzy's career.

Since we are on the topic of corny, cheesy, and campy - here are some movies that deserve the modern reboot darker take:

Flash Gordon
The Phantom
The Rocketeer
Post 28 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I agree that those movies do deserve a remake!!!! I'd love to see what they could do with Flash Gordon with all the technology today!!

As for millenials driving the hype, yeah, it is frustrating!!!! But it is what is. I think we always secretly craved that comics would be more mainstream, but we never thought it all the way through to the consequences. Now we're seeing it!!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That's very insightful, @Jesse_O.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O I hope you get the book. CBSI just put that book #1 on their weekly top ten list this past Friday.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Just mentioning but MCS has a copy listed for their upcoming prime auction in October,

as seen here

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=47603909
Post 32 IP   flag post
@Hcanes Thanks for that info!!! I kinda figured someone had said something somewhere. Last night, a nm raw got posted on eBay that had a starting bid of $50 or a BIN of $105. I was the first watcher. When I woke up this morning, The copy that I bought had been posted with a $50 start or a $65 BIN. The nm copy already had bids on it and I didn't want to chance losing out, so I bought the second copy at $65 plus $10 shipping. That was stretching my budget a bit, but I can live off of tuna sandwiches for a day or two instead of hamburgers or pork chops!!!

I just got confirmation that the buyer finally received my payment, so I'm breathing a little bit easier. BTW, he has been an eBay member since 2015 and he has a few slabs on auction right now. So it's just the 2 star feedback that I am concerned about. I'm hoping he knows what he is doing and is just now getting started selling on eBay. Time will tell.

The nm copy is now up to $72 with 7 bids and just about 4 days left. So it's already at the max of what was my budget. It ends Wednesday evening. I have a feeling it will pass the $105 BIN that was listed at the beginning. I think the seller will be very happy by the end of his auction.
Post 33 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town Yep, I saw that. I expect slab copies in the 9's to go for $200 minimum in an auction. The 9.8 that MCS had listed at $800 sold that first night/next morning after the announcement by Tank Girl.
Post 34 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O - Glad you were able to get one, Jesse. I was watching an auction for an 8.5 graded one on ebay to see how high it would go, and that one’s up to $132.50 with over 19 hours left.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@esaravo Yep. If anyone has a copy, now is the time to get it graded and sell it!! CGC lists 93 total graded copies with only 18 9.8. This is going to be a book that will be worth money in basically any grade. There just wasn't that many printed. I've looked but can't find any data on the print run size. Even the raw copies of 2, 3 and 4 from that first series are nothing to sneeze at. Tank Girl has always had a subculture following. I never really looked into TG until this year, but I'm glad I did. I really didn't think I'd enjoy it, but I was surprised.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

I found these- I think a couple might be missing, I'll keep looking if you're interested
I guess the longest story is "Skidmarks"

Post 37 IP   flag post
@esaravo Did you see that the 8.5 ended at $137.05? I thought it'd get over $150. The next one ending is a 9.2 that is already at $325 and ends tomorrow night.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@esaravo Did you see that the 8.5 ended at $137.05? I thought it'd get over $150. The next one ending is a 9.2 that is already at $325 and ends tomorrow night.

Yes, I almost threw in a bid myself, only because you now have us all watching this book.
Post 39 IP   flag post
LOL!!!!
Post 40 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Wasn't there already a movie with Lori Petty?
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Wasn't there already a movie with Lori Petty?

Yep, in 1995. But supposedly, this is going to be a different script. However, the creators have not been contacted yet for input. It seems they may not be. They sold all their movie rights to MGM.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector emme_jay private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Darkseid_of_town Yep, I saw that. I expect slab copies in the 9's to go for $200 minimum in an auction. The 9.8 that MCS had listed at $800 sold that first night/next morning after the announcement by Tank Girl.
Post 43 IP   flag post
So I should get my #1 Tank Girl graded and slabbed? I'm pretty sure it's in the 9s.
I took a break on researching/selling my comics. Maybe I came back at exactly the right time!
Post 44 IP   flag post
If it's in the 9's, this would be the time to get it graded if you are looking to sell it. Last night, I said it was a 9.2 at $325 on auction, it is actually a 9.4. It's still at $325 but ends tonight. Mind you, the movie is just in development right now. If it doesn't get made, then everything will crash like a house of cards. If it gets made, I expect demand will continue to climb until it comes out.

Here is an article from Screenrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenrant
The Tank Girl movie reboot has reportedly found its director in Miles Joris-Peyrafitte, with Margot Robbie producing and potentially starring. In the years since her breakout performance in The Wolf of Wall Street, Robbie has quickly ascended to the rank of a Hollywood A-lister. She now has an acting Oscar nomination under belt from playing Tonya Harding in I, Tonya, and will reprise her fan-favorite Suicide Squad character, Harley Quinn, in 2020's Birds of Prey movie. Robbie is also expected to reprise her role as Harley for a third time in James Gunn's upcoming DC film, The Suicide Squad.

Created by Alan Martin and Jamie Hewlett, Tank Girl is a comic book antihero with a distinctly punk-rock style (including, dyed hair and partly-shaven head) and demeanor who lives in a tank, and makes a living working one-off jobs in a post-apocalyptic world. Martin surprised the character's fans this week when he claimed Robbie's LuckyChap Entertainment banner is developing a Tank Girl film reboot. It appears that is, in fact, the case, with the intention being for Robbie to star in it.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Yes, I am selling. I Googled Tank Girl as soon as I read this post.
What about getting it graded without getting it slabbed? If time is of the essence and getting it slabbed takes a few months, can I get it graded at a con? I know on-site grading is done but I'm not sure if they only more current books.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Well, CBCS is at 4-6 week turn around time right now. You can do a fast pass which will cut that down to 2-3 weeks. Pressing is where it could spend a lot of time if you decide to do that. I THINK CBCS pressing is at 12-14 weeks. Again, that could be cut in half with a fast pass. But honestly, I think even with regular times, you'd be alright. This is all talk, rumor if you will, about a movie. It's been said that Robbie wants to see the script before she decides if she will act in it. If she does, demand will spike even more. But even if this all dies down, a TG#1 graded in the 9's is still going to easily be a $150+ book. There is still a demand for it and this hype is just drawing in more fans.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Hcanes Thanks for that info!!! I kinda figured someone had said something somewhere. Last night, a nm raw got posted on eBay that had a starting bid of $50 or a BIN of $105. I was the first watcher.

The nm copy is now up to $72 with 7 bids and just about 4 days left. So it's already at the max of what was my budget. It ends Wednesday evening. I have a feeling it will pass the $105 BIN that was listed at the beginning. I think the seller will be very happy by the end of his auction.

I called it!!!!! Final sale price of $153.01 plus shipping!!!

And I just got shipping confirmation on my copy today!!! I was getting nervous, but he stated that he would ship in 3 business days or less. Today was the third day. Now I just have to be patient and hope USPS doesn't destroy it. To top it off, guess what. it's coming media mail!!!! aaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
but he stated that he would ship in 3 business days or less. Today was the third day. Now I just have to be patient and hope USPS doesn't destroy it. To top it off, guess what. it's coming media mail!!!! aaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!

Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
To top it off, guess what. it's coming media mail!!!! aaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!22 days ago Post 48 • IP  flag post

I thought comic books couldn't be shipped Media mail?
Post 50 IP   flag post
I just double-checked. Because comic books contain advertising, they can't be shipped Media Mail.
USPS can open and inspect the package. It could get damaged during the process. Apparently, the post office doesn't even reseal it. You could also be charged additional for shipping.
Post 51 IP   flag post
@emme_jay - This topic (media mail) has been talked about to death. No, way past death, to zombie and beyond. Google the topic and you will find numerous threads about it.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Google the topic and you will find numerous threads about it.

I did Google it to make sure I remembered the what the criteria was for media mail and I specifically read a few threads about sending comics since it was a different kind of periodical from a regular magazine.

Regardless of whether people send it media mail way or not, I'd never send nor would I let someone send me anything that costs $150 with this shipping method. One un-slabbed comic weighs less than 16 oz. Priority Mail costs maybe $5 more and it's insured. Yes, you can insure media mail, however, it is the least prioritized way to send an item. I wouldn't want anything I bought or sold for $153, rolling around the post office for 5-9 days. I sold a record to someone in Ohio earlier this year. Because of flooding, the post office was closed for a few weeks and mail was redirected. It took over six weeks for him to get his record. The record only cost $25 and it arrived without damage but if it wasn't sent media mail he would've gotten it much quicker.

Maybe this has been discussed ad nauseum, I didn't read every thread, but I've mailed enough high value items to understand certain differences between different shipping methods. I don't know if I'd even buy from someone who sent a valuable comic media mail. Either they don't know the difference or they don't care what happens to your purchase once it leaves their possession.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Well done Jesse, I tend to not care too much about seller ratings, or how a book is shipped, although in a bag and cardboard wrapped seems like a minimum to expect. Been lucky with several hundred purchases, only had a couple arrive damaged.
I picked up the 4 issue tank girl set 10 years ago for about $75. I think they are all 9.8 candidates. I gave the set to my daughter for Christmas about 5 years ago. Comics make great gifts. I’ll gift her with getting them graded sometime. Being a sexist, I give her stuff like She Hulk 1. Mopsy 1, What if 10, Saga 1 and the like, over the years. I like to think I sneak her a bit of a retirement or play fund that way. She never sells anything though, so far.
She is a millennial who reads tons of comics, but prefers graphic novels for reading material.
Once a book gets too hot, I tend to not hunt for it anymore myself. Sometimes they drop again, but still many 1st appearances I do not own, that are not so hot right now. Strange Tales 110 comes to mind.
Post 54 IP   flag post
600892 54 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?