Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

What was the first comic you bought?10027

Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Mine was a choice between these 2:
A Near Mint Fish Police #1 for $40 or a Poor Fantastic Four #1 for $60.
I bought the Fish Police...sigh
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I honestly don't recall. It had to be either a Harvey title (Richie Rich, Casper, Hot Stuff, etc) or an Archie title. I also don't recall the first superhero comic, but it was probably Captain America or an Avengers. In the early days, I enjoyed both DC and Marvel. I like Green Lantern, Teen Titans, Sgt Rock, and G.I. Combat with the Unknown Soldier and the Haunted Tank from DC. Marvel was Captain America, the Avengers, X-Men, Punisher, Invaders, Defenders and Thor. I never got into Spidey or Hulk. Although She-Hulk was great!!! I remember when Moon Knight hit the scene. I remember the Secret Wars being the biggest thing in comics. But I do remember the first Indie comic that I bought. It was Warp #5 and I hid it from my mom for a while because of the cover. I actually bought another one this last year just to have a copy.

Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
FF 186 had a lasting effect on me:

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Mine was Batman #291.

Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
my first book.

Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Mine was Batman #291.

I really have to get me another copy of that!!! Sold mine awhile ago!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker
Quote:
Mine was Batman #291.

It's a great cover. I bought a couple other copies of this book since my original copy was little beat up. I still have it and funny enough, the book has a spot in my safe even though my original copy isn't very valuable.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
FF 186 had a lasting effect on me:

Same for me...recall buying FF #184, 186 in one of those Whitman sealed packs as a kid. Those 2 issues stand out for me, not sure if they were in the same pack or separate ones.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker
Quote:
Mine was Batman #291.

It's a great cover. I bought a couple other copies of this book since my original copy was little beat up. I still have it and funny enough, the book has a spot in my safe even though my original copy isn't very valuable.
but your original copy IS valuable...it may not have cash value, but by sentimental value its priceless, and sometimes that means even more
Post 34 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure what my first book was but this is the first book I paid more than $2 for. I bought this for $20 about 27 years ago. It's also the first comic I've ever had graded and the only comic in my collection that I would never sell.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@X51

Does dramamine work the same as benadryl? I wish I learned about benadryl when I was left alone in workplace kitchen with coffee pot....

No. If the inner ear gets shook up, you'll get what's called motion sickness. Dramamine pretty much fixes the problem. Motion sickness is a high risk if you are trying to read a book while the car is moving.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
a few weeks ago someone posted a link to a website that shows all comics printed in specific years and months. Anyone have that link?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
a few weeks ago someone posted a link to a website that shows all comics printed in specific years and months. Anyone have that link?

This might be what you are looking for:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/newsstand.php
Post 38 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
The Dark Knight Returns #1 CGC 9.8 SS Miller/Janson was the first individual comic that I bought myself.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
No idea the first comic I bought. My first comics were given to me by a guy in my neighborhood who was moving and so gave me a bunch of comics when I was 5ish. there was a story arc in Green Lantern included that I really took to issues 133-135 involving Dr. Polaris. Issue 134 has what I call the first "just do it" Nike campaign. Where Hal is in the Arctic powerless; one of these "kept walking even though he couldn't, stood, even though he couldn't" moments. Then in 135, just through the power of will took his ring back from Polaris. I always liked the idea that the GL powers were based on strength of mind and resolve and simply channeled through a weapon. Instead of being rich, or a God, or an alien, or imbued by an accident etc.. I also dug the "mini-stories" which in these issues was Adam Strange. I probably didn't buy my first comics until 1988-1990 range and it was likely either X-Men or GL.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user

My First Comic was Aliens colonial Marines #1 bought at a LCS, a few months later I bought Marvel Tales #272 off the spin rack at a gas station which started my life long passion for Spiderman.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
My first book was Fantastic Four 122, pulled it off a circular rack in a drugstore in Birmingham, Alabama. My grandmother was helping me kill time while we were waiting for a dinner reservation.

I actually wrote about it a few years ago in a financial blog I do if anyone is interested:

https://advisor.morganstanley.com/guerry-kinney-group/documents/field/g/gu/guerry-kinney-group/GuerryKinneySep16.pdf

Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for sharing everyone!

these are all awesome books!
Post 43 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
The first comic books I remember "reading" were coverless science fiction comics (maybe DC's Tommy Tomorrow or Adam Strange?) that a barber would let me look at during haircuts when I was 5 or 6 years old. I know my Grandfather would take me and my older sister on walks when we were little kids to get candy or ice cream, and I am pretty sure I had him pick me up a comic every now and then at the candy store. For years I thought that maybe Teen Titans #5 was the first one he bought me, but my copy of that book seems to be in a little too good condition to have been owned by a 6-year old who was more interested in the candy and ice cream at the time. When I was a little older, my dad would take me to a used book store that smelled like, well, old musty books that also sold used comics for 10 cents and up. The guy that ran the shop was pretty scary looking - he was always smoking a pipe and had an eye patch, and his one good eye always seemed to be watching you. There I would pick up mostly DCs - anything that had Superman or Batman in it. By the time I was 9, I was hooked on comics big time, and my dad would drive me to various stores that sold new comics (they were everywhere back then) once or twice a week. A comic that stands out in my mind is seeing Green Lantern #72 (October 1969 cover date) on the spinner racks. The pink, orange, green, and yellow colors on that cover seemed almost fluorescent to me and I had to buy it. About six months after that, I purchased the ground-breaking Green Lantern #76, which signaled the start of the Bronze Age. I had my copy signed by Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil last year. Here's a scan of my copy of that issue:

Wow, looking at this scan, I just realized that CBCS spelled Denny O'Neil's name wrong!
Post 44 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Savage Sword of Conan. Kept it to this day, sent in a few years ago to be encased for protection, and waiting for the day CBCS does magazines so I can send in for Press & Grade.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector MarvelousComics private msg quote post Address this user
As a kid, I have no idea.

As a grown up introducing my son to comics, I bought the entire Cosmic Spider-man series. It was one of my favorites in my youth so I wanted to pass that on.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
For me Peter Parker the spectacular Spiderman issue 124. And even after I sold 90% of my collection over five years ago. I still have to this day kept that first book. Bought in Australia where the newstands just doubled the U.S cover price so it cost me $1.50 AUD. Couple of days later I bought Avengers 277. Last issue where the Masters of Evil invaded the Avengers mansion.

Post 47 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
First ones we read were mostly early seventies Marvel, DC and Archie. Although we didn't have no money to buy them.. Always just tried to sneak a few free reads in down at the soda /candy store. At least until ole man "Pinky" would run us off.

Years later I found myself reading reprinted Spidey sories in Marvel Tales. It was the "If this be my destiny" that really made a profound effect on me.

The earliest book I remember actually "buying".... became the book that really brought me back into comic collecting.

Post 48 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944,
Grim Jack and Evangeline (First Comics) where amongst my favorites upon my first return to comic collecting. They were great books with great stories.
Post 49 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
@BigRedOne1944,
Grim Jack and Evangeline (First Comics) where amongst my favorites upon my first return to comic collecting. They were great books with great stories.

Sure Were! I was in my late teens by this point and the more mature story lines was very appealing, not to mention the Gritty Dirty Tim Truman Artwork that really pulled it all together.

The 80's Indies was indeed a special time that really moved the comic book industry forward. There was a thread on the board here where we were discussing the topic of the 80' independent titles and their impact on the median. I'll see if I can find it and bring it back to the top.

Post 50 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944, Neato!
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I checked and the 1980s indie comics thread has been archived. I think you can still view it if you search it.
Post 52 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp, is that the title I'm looking for "1980s indie comics"?
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Yes
Post 54 IP   flag post
cool, thanks.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601195 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?