Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

What was the first comic you bought?10027

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Mine was Peter Parker, the spectacular Spider-Man #22.

I didn't even know what a Moon Knight was. I no longer have it. Crazy ex either destroyed my collection or sold it.

How about you all? And do you still have it?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
It was a copy of Amazing Spider-Man 290-ish
Post 2 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Mine may have been Hulk 191 (Hulk against the Abomination) in 1976. I still have it. I bought it for a quarter and today it's worth a cool 4 dollars! that's a 1500 percent increase in value! Early retirement, here I come!

Eat it life! woo hoo!

4 bucks...? aww, crap!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure what the very first comic I ever bought was. I would have been about 7 years old. The earliest comic book that I remember purchasing specifically is Captain America #200. The reason I remember purchasing this particular issue is because the price of comics had just increased from 25 to 30 cents and my mom had given me a quarter to go up to the corner store. I begged her for the extra nickel but she would not give it. As I looked over the spinner rack, lamenting the books I would not be buying, I stumbled across Cap 200. It was literally the last 25 cent comic on the stands. I don’t know if they left it on the racks a little longer because it was a bi-centennial issue (a big deal in 1976) or if it was just overlooked. All I know is that I left that drug store very happy! I am pretty sure that I have a copy of that book today, although it is definitely not the same copy I bought back at age 7.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Mine may have been Hulk 191 (Hulk against the Abomination) in 1976. I still have it. I bought it for a quarter and today it's worth a cool 4 dollars! that's a 1500 percent increase in value! Early retirement, here I come!

Ha ha! Remember when people would tell you all old comics were valuable?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Not sure what the very first comic I ever bought was. I would have been about 7 years old. The earliest comic book that I remember purchasing specifically is Captain America #200. The reason I remember purchasing this particular issue is because the price of comics had just increased from 25 to 30 cents and my mom had given me a quarter to go up to the corner store. I begged her for the extra nickel but she would not give it. As I looked over the spinner rack, lamenting the books I would not be buying, I stumbled across Cap 200. It was literally the last 25 cent comic on the stands. I don’t know if they left it on the racks a little longer because it was a bi-centennial issue (a big deal in 1976) or if it was just overlooked. All I know is that I left that drug store very happy! I am pretty sure that I have a copy of that book today, although it is definitely not the same copy I bought back at age 7.

Great story!

Those were definitely the days. A kid with $3 could live like a king on comics and penny gum.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort

Ha ha! Remember when people would tell you all old comics were valuable?

did you even read my post @jaberwookie? Clearly they were right...NOT!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I’m not sure...I was big into transformers when I got into comics, off the rack it was Transformers #31. The first back issue I bought with my own cash was transformers #2.

I still remember the excitement I had walking into that shop on that day too....

memories....

Post 8 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Not a hundred percent it was my first, but it's my first I remember owning. I remember looking at a comics value monthly and trying to explain my beat up comic was worth more than cover price to my mom.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
My very first superhero comic was Amazing Spider-Man #77 (1969), and the only reason I bought it was because of the awesome cover. Prior to that, I was reading practically all Archie series, so I really can't be specific as to my very first comic. After reading the ASM, I was delivered to a new realm (for me) of comic entertainment and I went hog wild on everything Marvel,... FF, X-Men, Hulk, Thor, Avengers,... you name it!

Puberty has arrived!

....well, Betty and Veronica may have played a role.

EDIT

Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
My very first superhero comic was Amazing Spider-Man #77 (1969), and the only reason I bought it was because of the awesome cover. Prior to that, I was reading practically all Archie series, so I really can't be specific as to my very first comic. After reading the ASM, I was delivered to a new realm (for me) of comic entertainment and I went hog wild on everything Marvel,... FF, X-Men, Hulk, Thor, Avengers,... you name it!

Puberty has arrived!

....well, Betty and Veronica may have played a role.

That is too funny. I felt the same way when I bought my first Avengers comic (199.) It was a whole new world.
I'd go spend a few weeks in the summer with my grandmother, and she knew I liked comics and she'd always go buy some. She just couldn't do super heroes for some reason, so she bought Archie comics out the wazoo.

I won a $200 in a trivia contest a few years ago because I knew the principal's name was Mr. Weatherbee.
Thank you, grandmother!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
I got comics and magazines from my Dad when I was a kid, but the first one I bought with money I worked for was at a grocery store. It was Alpha Flight #1.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

Not a hundred percent it was my first, but it's my first I remember owning. I remember looking at a comics value monthly and trying to explain my beat up comic was worth more than cover price to my mom.

I had that same book. I have to say that I miss those old reprint comics. It was such a great way to learn the history.

I wish they'd do that now for all the kids into the Marvel movies.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
Challengers of the Unknown 54, and I still have it!
Post 14 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie

Problem is that all those kids exposed to the marvel films are already tainted. Meaning things have become so politically correct or times have changed so much that the original stories arent as plausible as the new and improved origin stories and such.

Whose to say which is right or wrong? The only thing we can say is things will never be as simple as they were before.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I have to be older than everyone here. Pre-coder might be close.

My first comic book purchased was Superman Annual 7. 1963. I was nine years old.

Post 16 IP   flag post
@Bronte
To be fair, some of those old comics have some terrible stereotypes in them.

I read the Avengers Masterworks recently, and it was painful when the way they spoke of females and other nationalities.

I think it's why I liked the Ultimate line. It was a good way to clean up some of that, and update the origins some. I mean Peter Parker getting bitten by a radioactive spider doesn't make as much sense in this day and age.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
The first comic I remember owning was a Road Runner comic. My parents would buy us comics on road trips to keep us quiet and occupied with something to do. That may be why they bought Dramamine too. I had some comics stolen from me, so I don't know what was in that bunch. I remember one was Iron Man. It would have been an issue number lower than #49.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
I had trouble reading as a kid, so our family went on a road trip to who knows where for vacation. My mom picked me up a few comic and this is one that sticks out in my head! I’ve been hooked ever since!
Post 19 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user

Post 20 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie

You are correct. Although I dont specifically remember any derogatory female comments the racial ones I do.

Some of the Japanese portrayals in old submariner books make me glad we "somewhat" evolved past racial stereotypes.

As for the Ultimates, I have not read comics in ages. Last book I read was incredible hulk 4. (I bought the book on a whim and wanted to see if it had any redeeming value)

1st "thunder clap" if I recall correctly.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector nik private msg quote post Address this user

Post 22 IP   flag post
@X51

Does dramamine work the same as benadryl? I wish I learned about benadryl when I was left alone in workplace kitchen with coffee pot....
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
When I was about five years old my mother and father took a busload of girl scouts to Washington DC and New York to see the sights and meet our state Governor.
Somewhere in a New york subway , my mother bought me two comic books. I am sure I loved those books and did as most kids do, destroying them thoroughly or losing them in the process.I always remembered the artwork and images from the New gods book though.

Years later, when I was perhaps 21 I wandered into a local comic book store, looking for Transformers comics to backfill the sets I had begun around issue 9 for my brother and I. I was able to fill in the missing issues and continue buying new ones as they were issued.The shop owner and I struck up a conversation and I asked if he knew perhaps what the missing books I had owned as a kid were.He tried comic after comic...sectaurs, micronauts, Eternals, and nothing matched the comics I remembered. Kamandi was easier to figure out, with the first issue cover and statue of liberty...but the other eluded us until the day he showed me a set of New gods....Bingo issue 7!!!Of course, I bought the comic and read it...and then the rest of the series...but of course, if you read New gods, you have to buy Mister Miracle, Forever People, and then Jimmy Olsen and finally the related lois lane issues....and I was off and running. From there I announced my intention to get all the comics Jack Kirby had done.....never quite managed that feat, but here I am 35 years later still knee deep in comics.
I normally buy any copy of new gods 7 I find cheaply, although with the recent price escalations due to Steppenwolf's first appearance that has become ....difficult.
Recently my friend here on the boards attended SDCC and managed to purchase Inker Mike Royer's comics...Through negotiating and the kindness of Mr. Siggy I obtained Mr. Royers personnal copy of New gods 7 signed on the cover, and inscribed inside as well by the famous inker. When it arrives I will throw up a few scans but....here is the legend inscribing the comic for me. Thanks to Mr Siggy, he inscribed it for me..."May the Source be with you" and his name .(Thanks again Siggy!)

Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
My mother was a Vampirella fan.She bought #1 and almost to #15 then gave the set to me.I was around 8.I was a big artist at the time so she thought that would help my art.Strange for a 8 year old but she was the greatest.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Mine was a choice between these 2:
A Near Mint Fish Police #1 for $40 or a Poor Fantastic Four #1 for $60.
I bought the Fish Police...sigh
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I honestly don't recall. It had to be either a Harvey title (Richie Rich, Casper, Hot Stuff, etc) or an Archie title. I also don't recall the first superhero comic, but it was probably Captain America or an Avengers. In the early days, I enjoyed both DC and Marvel. I like Green Lantern, Teen Titans, Sgt Rock, and G.I. Combat with the Unknown Soldier and the Haunted Tank from DC. Marvel was Captain America, the Avengers, X-Men, Punisher, Invaders, Defenders and Thor. I never got into Spidey or Hulk. Although She-Hulk was great!!! I remember when Moon Knight hit the scene. I remember the Secret Wars being the biggest thing in comics. But I do remember the first Indie comic that I bought. It was Warp #5 and I hid it from my mom for a while because of the cover. I actually bought another one this last year just to have a copy.

Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
FF 186 had a lasting effect on me:

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Mine was Batman #291.

Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
my first book.

Post 30 IP   flag post
601442 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?