Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

House of X prices inflated?10026

Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
so I went to MCS to see if I could grab some House of X, but number 1 is already $20!!!

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=48865703
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Totally inflated.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't powers of x 1 the better?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
The series is really good but totally inflated.

Venom 18 just came out and it's already $10 b/c the possibility of Venom's son merging with a symbiote...
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If the series sells out each week it is clearly hot but that does not necessarily mean it is inflated.

You have the X-Men reboot leading into their introduction to the MCU.

With good writing, first appearances and no further reboots this thing might just have legs.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic
so I went to MCS to see if I could grab some House of X, but number 1 is already $20!!!

I might have an extra #1.
I'd sell it to you for cost and shipping, if I have it.

Give me five to look.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic

I might have an extra #1.
I'd sell it to you for cost and shipping, if I have it.

Give me five to look.

Well, I had two copies of #3, but not #1.

Sorry. I was hoping I could help you out.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Maybe this helps?

clickable text

It's only $6.99.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
MCS over the last month has been getting into the after market game of upping their prices of hot books before and on the Wednesday they are released. They seem to have a close eye on eBay selling prices.

This seems to have started with house of X and powers of X.

Venom 18 A and B covers are still available at midtown for cover or less (limit 1 ea.) if people are interested.
Post 9 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
LCSs are doing themselves no favors if they are price gouging. Do they want people to enter the hobby, and patronize the shop, or not?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Yes inflated- I am finally one step closer to forgoing new books altogether. Between $7 cover prices and apparently books that are "hot" and "sold out" before anyone has read, or has them in their hands, Im just about to throw in the towel...My modern collecting is approaching life support. I'm down to about 7 titles, I was giving house of x and powers of x a shot, but I didn't have it on my pull list because I thought it would not be very good...then i missed an issue and I refuse to pay $20 for something that just came out 2 weeks ago....

A buddy of mine stopped collecting weekly releases years ago, and now he just waits 6 months for "lots' to appear on ebay. I'm thinking he has the right idea, nearly every marvel event or mini can be had for about $1 a book the month after its completed. If you doubt this- go to ebay and type "war of the realms lot" and buy a 5.99 a book series of 6 issues and minis for about $25 shipped.

I have finally cured my FOMO
Post 11 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
...A buddy of mine stopped collecting weekly releases years ago, and now he just waits 6 months for "lots' to appear on ebay. I'm thinking he has the right idea, nearly every marvel event or mini can be had for about $1 a book the month after its completed. If you doubt this- go to ebay and type "war of the realms lot" and buy a 5.99 a book series of 6 issues and minis for about $25 shipped.

Yup. I just wait for the TPBs to get printed. I halted my pull list for AC/DC/Superman/Batman and just bought up all the 6-issue TPBs.

It's kinda like DVRing a show for a month and binge-watching a few episodes.

I bought my New 52 Justice League in a lot. There are certain titles or stories that I prefer the individual-issue aesthetic of, over TPBs.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Not me.

Off to the LCS in search of Batman, Captain Marvel, Gouse of X some variant covers and anything Carnage related.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Everything now is essentially written for the TPB market. It's pretty much a guarantee that a storyline goes six issues, then the TPB comes out soon after and costs less than the individual issues combined. It's also not just LCSs doing the gouging. The flippers that raid the LCSs are to blame as well, in addition to the online shops trying to keep up with ebay. The whole hobby is a racket at this point.

I'm close to getting out of the modern comic game. Cover price is one thing, but inflated prices because Joe the Janitor makes a first appearance, some other speculative first appearance of a jabroni character, or because people think they'll hit the next Walking Dead #1 are why I consider not buying anymore. I'm down to four titles right now. I probably won't stop but I've definitely scaled back.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Maybe this helps?

clickable text

It's only $6.99.

Thanks!
Post 15 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
To be honest, my current collecting habits feel a bit more ironic right now.

Especially with today's market where hype and digital are the two biggest factors.

What I am currently "investing" in are modern Japanese Transformers. I mean what makes it feel ironic is the fact that they are modern. So telling them that I have paid $59.99 with free shipping for a MOC toy that debuted in 2015 might make little to no sense to some. Even less when you account how much I plan to spend to have it be graded by AFA. And this is #3 of 5, out of a proposed 10 I aim to get.

But to pay more than double for a comic that just came out? If it was a retailer incentive cover that was looked to be in NM+ condition, I would agree. But selling it because of some proposed hype that does not guarantee a long-term or permanent effect on the series is another thing. I mean the item I have mentioned had me find only 7 sellers (eBay: 5, Amazon Japan: 2) when it came to these being MOC. And the proposed value/rarity is more-or-less based on the character's alt-mode.

So... Yeah. Any thoughts of me going back to comics is over. I'll consider maybe seeking out an older Marvel Comics issue that was graded. But like the rest I think I'll pick up a TPB of a series that I like reading. If that ever happens for me.

Oh, and the figure I was referencing is "QT-11" Jazz (Autobot Meister). You can get what others are asking for on eBay by searching the following: Transformers QT-11
Post 16 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Maybe this helps?

clickable text

It's only $6.99.

purchased.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
while I hate the hype and the pricing children out of collecting, I like collecting number 1's of my favorite super-heroes. so I bought one. this doesn't mean that I agree with the overcharging of already super expensive books on the contrary this is why I stopped buying comics in the 90's (and what helped the business come crashing down).
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm sorry @Studley_Dudley, what issue of Uncanny X-Bots from Jupiter is Jabroni's first appearance?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I was really turned off by the gimmicks and games played in the early nineties to the point I dropped out of comics for about 20 years. Having returned nothing has really changed, multiple variants, and gimmicks.
Nowdays I buy a few new titles I enjoy and I do admit sometimes the variant covers give me a nice piece of art featuring a character I otherwise seldom see on a cover....a good example would be the Female Furies 1 variant with Barda...another being some of the white queen variants happening in the House and power storylines. I dont buy variants based on stated ratios, or by price, but rather according to if they have artwork of a character I find I like.

There are two schools of thought on this new issue overpricing thing from what I see...when I visit a site like Unknown comics, every back issue of a title is sold out, and even the most current one and perhaps even the one about to be released....pre-ordered and sold out.You have to practically order 2-3 issues ahead if you want something from them
When I glance over at MCS I see them charging a premium the day of release on some of these titles...I am guessing they judge by their own pre-sales if that is justified or not. If the book is drawing heavy speculation and pre selling heavily, I am not surprised at the price raising...but it equally infuriates me that once they do raise the price, they sit and parcel out copies one or two at a time.....if you charge a premium for copies, you might as well sell them first come, first serve as well.I woul rather have the freedom to buy ten copies at fifty cents over cover than one copy at the same fifty cents over cover, so I can recoup some of the cost

Edit, secondary question: Does anyone ever actually buy those odd looking action figure variants?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
I'm sorry @Studley_Dudley, what issue of Uncanny X-Bots from Jupiter is Jabroni's first appearance?
It's in the 13th reboot of the series, #12 of the overhyped variant edition.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:

Its crazy....I used to LOVE xmen...I was even fine with the vampire reboot...but seriously how many times have the x series been rebooted now. I know that's supposed to be something Hickman is sorting out, but I just don't know... the other thing this forum has helped me realize is that if I fight the urge to overspend on a "hot" new book, I can put that towards an actual key book with lasting value
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Edit, secondary question: Does anyone ever actually buy those odd looking action figure variants?

When the Star Wars books first came out with the action figure variants I thought they were awesome.

I also bought 10 of the Darth Maul # 1 covers and had them signed and graded.

Now they are all too common.

I bought one yesterday only because it was House of X 4 and the character was Rogue from the X-Men.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

scouring the interweb now! Fingers crossed.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Its crazy....I used to LOVE xmen...I was even fine with the vampire reboot...but seriously how many times have the x series been rebooted now. I know that's supposed to be something Hickman is sorting out, but I just don't know... the other thing this forum has helped me realize is that if I fight the urge to overspend on a "hot" new book, I can put that towards an actual key book with lasting value

Yeah, the X-Men are a mess, and honestly, as much I enjoy the story, it's not anything I see really making them what they were.

I don't know what it is, but the X-Men just aren't relatable lately. They aren't the team of misfits. They area race with it's own island and army. I applaud the effort, but I'm not sure it's going to fix anything.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Here's what I think:

Do y'all remember ASM #796? Alex Ross cover - beautiful - and it was shorted all up and down the east coast. That caused it to immediately jump to $20-$30 on eBay. And that shortage goosed demand for the whole Red Goblin storyline, leading up to a shit-ton of variants for issue #800.

Whether Marvel shorted #796 by accident or on purpose doesn't really matter ... I think they learned how effective it is for motivating short-term sales spikes and buzz.

Now we have Powers of X and House of X. I've ordered a couple copies of each, but I just picked the covers I liked. (I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things, so I look forward to that.) But even though I ordered WELL in advance - before FOC, even, for most of those covers - I was shorted some. I was shorted because Atomic Empire was shorted. And I talked to the owner of my LCS, and he said his orders were short, too, on some of those. Especially issues #3. On issue #3 you have this weird situation where the A covers are actually harder to get than the 1:10 RI's. Crazy.

So what I think happened is, Marvel is still experimenting - with Diamond's help - on strategically shorting some comics and spiking demand for key events. I think they did that with the early issues of House and Powers. (Not #1's, which had plenty of variants, but #2's and #3's.) I also think, if you have a bunch of copies and variants of these - and I have a moderate amount - you should sell them sooner rather than later. I'm going to send a shipment for grading fast-track on Monday, and cash in quickly (I hope!)

I don't know if it started with ASM 796 or if they've been doing this crap for years, but no other explanation really makes sense to me regarding the chronic shortages. How can printers keep messing that up? How could Diamond? Is it connected to the cheap paper and printing Marvel's been using for the last few years? Not sure.

Anyway, maybe I'm just paranoid. Doesn't matter that much. Whether artificial, accidental, or just today's environment of Flash in the Pan collecting, I don't think prices will stay elevated for long on these, no matter HOW good the story is. I just looked ... ASM 796 graded 9.8 you can buy right now for about $50 shipped. Another sold on eBay at auction recently, went for barely over $30 shipped. Not a great long-term hold, that one.

So I'm getting out very soon. I look forward to reading the trade edition in a couple months. And I might pick one favorite cover to keep. We'll see.

Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I keep an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper right here next to my computer. It contains every new comic I want, but refuse to give into FOMO for. In fact, if you wait (about a year), you can get the comic for what you want to pay for it.
Stay away from FOMO. List the books on a sheet of paper or electronic device you want and just wait. 95% will come down to the appropriate level. Don't buy when every FOMO nut "has to have it" and prices are elevated.

It works
Post 27 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I keep an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper right here next to my computer. It contains every new comic I want, but refuse to give into FOMO for. In fact, if you wait (about a year), you can get the comic for what you want to pay for it.
Stay away from FOMO. List the books on a sheet of paper or electronic device you want and just wait. 95% will come down to the appropriate level. Don't buy when every FOMO nut "has to have it" and prices are elevated.

It works

I think this is both awesome and hilarious. It's awesome because someone was actually organized enough to test this theory and keep track of it, and share the results with us. And it's hilarious because: keeping a written piece of paper? NEXT to your computer? That's so analog.

If only we had some sort of machine, built for easily storing data...
Post 28 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid “If only we had some sort of machine, built for easily storing data...”

That sounds like witchcraft to me.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Gamecube2482 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

It works

My friend does this. He says if its a hot book or a variant he waits 8 months to a year before getting it. He said there might be one out of 20 that will hold its value. I wanted the Joe Mad variant of House of X #1. He told me to wait because he said I can probably get it for 20 bucks of less at the Heroes Con next year. I was at a small con a few months ago and they had about 4 long boxes of variants. Most of those were 5 bucks each and i looked at some that I paid over 30 bucks for not even a year ago. He makes a list of what he would pay for the book when it comes out and then what he pays for it months later. He said that he saved over a grand doing it this way. I just started doing this.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600869 61 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?