Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeQuestions

Comic collector questions10013

I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone! My name is nick and im brand new here. I started collecting again about 3 and a half years ago so i joined CBCS to help get some books graded (cheaper rhan those other guys) and ask some new collector questions.

I keep my books in my bedroom year round, i have a fan and A/C in there with them . Sometimes however the temp cant get a bit high (out of the normal range) . The highest i have ver seen my gauge is 82 degrees Fahrenheit. They are never kept at this range for longer than a short time and this isnt year round. The average range is 70 to 77. My question is how bad will this ompact my books over time and will i risk more damage to them by having them in my room? All of my silver age books are mylar as well as my more current books. Thanks everyone for accepting me and om very much looking forward to your feedback!

P.s i couldnt gwt anything out of anyone on the CGC boards hehe.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicninja0215
Hey everyone! My name is nick and im brand new here. I started collecting again about 3 and a half years ago so i joined CBCS to help get some books graded (cheaper rhan those other guys) and ask some new collector questions.

I keep my books in my bedroom year round, i have a fan and A/C in there with them . Sometimes however the temp cant get a bit high (out of the normal range) . The highest i have ver seen my gauge is 82 degrees Fahrenheit. They are never kept at this range for longer than a short time and this isnt year round. The average range is 70 to 77. My question is how bad will this ompact my books over time and will i risk more damage to them by having them in my room? All of my silver age books are mylar as well as my more current books. Thanks everyone for accepting me and om very much looking forward to your feedback!

Welcome to the forums. I have been collecting off and on (mostly off) since 1976. But have only had a very small number of books graded, probably 11 or so. I live in the desert in Southern California and have always kept my books in my garage, probably the worst place you can keep them, but I have no choice as my wife wouldn't understand if I moved them into the house.to your question, temperatures should be between 65 and 72 degrees Relative humidity should be between 40 and 55 percent. Even though your temps and humidity may not be ideal, it is way better than mine. while people have 1940's books with white pages all of my 70's and 80's books are off white due to the temperatures here. I would be glad if I had your situation for my books (except the comics in bedroom part) so, Congrats.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
"Adventures in Collecting: 6 Tips for Storing Comic Books"

Comic books should be kept in an area that’s dry and maintains a steady temperature, preferably between 60 and 70 degrees.
clickable text
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
You should be fine. I had my books stored in my garage for a few years. The temperature ranged from 40 to 100+ degrees. I had a few books graded, modern, and they all came back with white pages. The books weren't kept in mylars, just regular poly bags so once I move my collection back into the house, I had to peel the books off of one another since they were clinging onto one another. It didn't affect the books at all since most came back 9.6 or above.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicninja0215 - Welcome to the CBCS forums, Nick. Regarding temperature, if you are comfortable, then your books are comfortable. I seriously doubt that a few hours now and then in the low 80's would hurt you or your collection. I have owned some books for over 40 years and over that time period they have probably had to endure a few days every now and then in the 80's (sometimes even high 80's). I am happy to tell you that they survived and many have come back from grading with high grades and white pages (but not all of them). It sounds like you are taking good care of your collection.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ty so much!! I've been pretty lucky with my wife understanding about my hobby. I've also been pretty lucky that she hasn't thrown them out yet lol. On a serious note, that's the best I can do with my current situation so im just trying to go with it. Last winter I moved them into our family room downstairs and well it was just a little too humid there. Maybe in time I can rectify that.
Hopefully your situation changes and you can have a room to store your books in! Good luck and ty again.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Comicninja0215 - Welcome to the CBCS forums, Nick. Regarding temperature, if you are comfortable, then your books are comfortable. I seriously doubt that a few hours now and then in the low 80's would hurt you or your collection. I have owned some books for over 40 years and over that time period they have probably had to endure a few days every now and then in the 80's (sometimes even high 80's). I am happy to tell you that they survived and many have come back from grading with high grades and white pages (but not all of them). It sounds like you are taking good care of your collection.
I figured they would be okay however I love comics and I love collecting that I almost felt it would have been a waste to buy them and just let them deteriorate in a box over months. Thanks so very much for your feedback! Always love talking to other collectors. πŸ‘
Post 7 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum, @Comicninja0215. As you seem to know, and as folks here have mentioned, cooler is better. With that said, I doubt you'll see any negative impact to storing your comics in your room.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Ty so much!! I've been pretty lucky with my wife understanding about my hobby. I've also been pretty lucky that she hasn't thrown them out yet lol. On a serious note, that's the best I can do with my current situation so im just trying to go with it. Last winter I moved them into our family room downstairs and well it was just a little too humid there. Maybe in time I can rectify that.
Hopefully your situation changes and you can have a room to store your books in! Good luck and ty again.

my situation hasn't changed in 34 years of marriage so I will not be holding my breath but thanks.

Hope you hang around for a long time.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
You should be fine. I had my books stored in my garage for a few years. The temperature ranged from 40 to 100+ degrees. I had a few books graded, modern, and they all came back with white pages. The books weren't kept in mylars, just regular poly bags so once I move my collection back into the house, I had to peel the books off of one another since they were clinging onto one another. It didn't affect the books at all since most came back 9.6 or above.
spectacular!!!!! Love hearing along the positive reactions. Even if it's not ideal atleast we're trying to protect our investments. Excellent job sir!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Welcome to the forum, @Comicninja0215. As you seem to know, and as folks here have mentioned, cooler is better. With that said, I doubt you'll see any negative impact to storing your comics in your room.
I had to be sure, there's always the seed of doubt that lingers when you think about it. Best place was to come to here soni can get some real advice. I'm the only guy I really know that collects a lot so I just have myself to rely on, I'll be here for life for sure. πŸ‘
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
"Adventures in Collecting: 6 Tips for Storing Comic Books"

Comic books should be kept in an area that’s dry and maintains a steady temperature, preferably between 60 and 70 degrees.
clickable text

My house is older and supe sucks but I'm working on his now. Ty for the feedback!πŸ‘
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:

Welcome to the forums. I have been collecting off and on (mostly off) since 1976. But have only had a very small number of books graded, probably 11 or so. I live in the desert in Southern California and have always kept my books in my garage, probably the worst place you can keep them, but I have no choice as my wife wouldn't understand if I moved them into the house.to your question, temperatures should be between 65 and 72 degrees Relative humidity should be between 40 and 55 percent. Even though your temps and humidity may not be ideal, it is way better than mine. while people have 1940's books with white pages all of my 70's and 80's books are off white due to the temperatures here. I would be glad if I had your situation for my books (except the comics in bedroom part) so, Congrats.
damn, sorry brother. Hoping for the best forntoyr books, hang in there man.πŸ‘
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicninja0215

Hey, Welcome aboard! I just joined last week for pretty much the same reasons. I hope we'll get to hear/ see some of your collections.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@Comicninja0215

Hey, Welcome aboard! I just joined last week for pretty much the same reasons. I hope we'll get to hear/ see some of your collections.

Most definitely! Speaking of which, is anyone going to Manhattan next month?? Nycc is my favorite time of year! 🀟
Post 15 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I have always understood that light is worse than heat.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I have heard that as well but few and far between. It's pretty dark in my room so I'm very lucky on that front.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
This might have already been mentioned, so apologies if this treading over old ground, but the era of comics matters, too, right?

Golden, Silver and Bronze age can turn off-white yellow easier than most moderns because of paper quality. Some of the new ones would have to be in a kiln to change page color.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
This might have already been mentioned, so apologies if this treading over old ground, but the era of comics matters, too, right?

Golden, Silver and Bronze age can turn off-white yellow easier than most moderns because of paper quality. Some of the new ones would have to be in a kiln to change page color.

I agree with this 100% all of my silver age stuff is mylar or mylites and acid free. Boards. Even my modern stuff is mylar. Probably not super necessary bit hey whatever works!πŸ‘
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I keep my books in my bedroom year round, i have a fan and A/C in there with them.

Just for clarity; Does this mean the room they're in has a fan and is airconditioned through floor or ceiling ducts, or there's some kind of cooling unit "in [the room] with them"?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

My books have always been in a garage that i don't use for cars and only open once every couple of years and my pages are white to off white or completely off-white, they are from mid-70's forward. so it seems that heat I live in the desert where it's hot 9 mos a year and at times well over a hundred for a month straight.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
I keep my books in my bedroom year round, i have a fan and A/C in there with them.

Just for clarity; Does this mean the room they're in has a fan and is airconditioned through floor or ceiling ducts, or there's some kind of cooling unit "in [the room] with them"?

Cooling unit in there with them. Sorry should have been more specific. Sp I have those tongues of the room feels too warm
Post 22 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing some of your books!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing some of your books!

Thank you so much!!! Feels good to be here!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome! As others have said, if you're OK with the temperature, so are your books.

I live in Texas, where it gets hot as hell. If I tried to keep my comics below 70 degrees, I'd be spending too much money in electricity to afford comics.

Recently, I had a chance to rummage through a collection in Portland, Oregon that had been kept in a completely not-climate-controlled building for 25 years. Despite the temperature changes and the humidity, they were all fine. Pulled a lot of 9.8s and 9.6s out of those boxes.

To sum up, I wouldn't worry too much about minor swings in temperature. Keep them bagged, boarded and boxed (and dry!) and you should be fine.

I keep mine in a downstairs walk-in closet. Last fall, I built a set of shelves to hold them.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Welcome! As others have said, if you're OK with the temperature, so are your books.

I live in Texas, where it gets hot as hell. If I tried to keep my comics below 70 degrees, I'd be spending too much money in electricity to afford comics.

Recently, I had a chance to rummage through a collection in Portland, Oregon that had been kept in a completely not-climate-controlled building for 25 years. Despite the temperature changes and the humidity, they were all fine. Pulled a lot of 9.8s and 9.6s out of those boxes.

To sum up, I wouldn't worry too much about minor swings in temperature. Keep them bagged, boarded and boxed (and dry!) and you should be fine.

I keep mine in a downstairs walk-in closet. Last fall, I built a set of shelves to hold them.

That is an amazing setup!! And thank you for your kind words! I drive. My wife crazy with. Being nitpicky lol.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Easy rule of thumb: Comic books are like people. If you are uncomfortable, they are uncomfortable.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Easy rule of thumb: Comic books are like people. If you are uncomfortable, they are uncomfortable.

So I have been told lol I just was worried about melting them. At least it isnt a hundred degrees πŸ‘
Post 28 IP   flag post
597867 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?