Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

EBAY SELLER m00nknight31- proceed at your own risk10009

Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I don't usually post poor seller information but decided I would this time due to just how silly the seller has acted.
My son won an auction for some books for $1 plus $ 4 shipping. The books arrived damaged (see pic) and my son sent the seller a message letting him know. NOTE: my son wasn't looking for anything and didn't really care as the books were cheap and he was planning to read them / wasn't terribly worried about the condition. He was just trying to be nice and let the guy know. The seller didn't respond to three separate messages my son sent and now doesn't have anything listed for sale anymore. The guy has 20 negative feedback in the last year so at least my son learned a lesson without it costing him very much.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Some cardboard would have been nice. Or the comic mailers are cheap enough then send them media mail to keep the cost down. Or take the cardboard mailer and stick it in a priority bag if you want it faster.
I have to look at the shipping choice box that some sellers use on eBay. It gives you a choice either media or priority at a increased price. I need to find out how to do this because some people are in a hurry and some not. I always note packaging in the feedback box and if it’s really bad I send a email with a polite but firm note.
But some people just don’t care. 🤪🖖
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
Some cardboard would have been nice. Or the comic mailers are cheap enough then send them media mail to keep the cost down.

Please note to anyone reading this. Comics are NOT valid media-mail products. It violates USPS regulations to send anything that includes advertising on the inside of the book. If USPS finds a comic in media mail they send a "payment upon receipt" to the recipient holding the material until it's paid. Because of all the small-press comics that don't have advertising in them the USPS is actually pulling comics out and looking through them to verify presence of advertising. Just don't do it. It's not worth the couple of bucks you save in shipping.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 I don’t know if this has been discussed before. But if a slabbed comic were sent media mail couldn’t they (in theory at least) crack the slab to investigate if the comic had advertisements? Have you heard of this ever happening?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEwan
@etapi65 I don’t know if this has been discussed before. But if a slabbed comic were sent media mail couldn’t they (in theory at least) crack the slab to investigate if the comic had advertisements? Have you heard of this ever happening?

Yes they could, and no I haven't. But I've also never heard of anyone sending a slabbed comic media mail. You'd be asking them to destroy your investment imo.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Please note to anyone reading this. Comics are NOT valid media-mail products. It violates USPS regulations to send anything that includes advertising on the inside of the book......

That's funny. I was returning a comic book before (damaged) and the return address header had the companies name in it. (Comics was one of the words) & I was using a small cardboard box, much like the Gemini Comic Book Mailer, to return it. I was going to use Priority Mail and the Post Office employee asked me "what's are you sending? A comic book?" I replied, "Yes." She then said, "You can ship it with Media-Mail to save yourself money, and will arrive around the same time." I said, "ok, thanks!" This lady that helped me that day has been working for the USPS for over 18+ years.

So I guess what they don't know (or do know) won't hurt them. Thought I'd share that experience with you guys.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Comics used to be listed as an example of what could be sent media mail. They changed it a few years ago.

I used to be able to ship a long box of comics for $25. Those were the days.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
There have been numerous debates on Media Mail on the forums here (and elsewhere). So feel free to Google the topic if you want to see what has already been said. Anyway, here's my two cents.

In my opinion, one of the major problems is that every Post Office seems to have a different opinion as to whether or not we are allowed to use it to ship comics. So while the PO that you ship from might be okay with it, what about the one it ends up at (or any along the journey)? Personally, I will not take the risk that a package containing a comic or comics (or slabs) that I carefully and deliberately packaged in a way to try to avoid possible damage during shipping gets opened, causing delays, potential damage to the book(s), and/or additional fees. If you feel differently, that's fine, but for me it's not worth it. If you want to save money shipping, get a digital scale, use weight and zone charts, utilize online postage calculators, and then decide what's the best method to use.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo is spot on.

The confusion has to do with some employees being unaware of the policy change.

Comics are no longer listed among the approved items for media mail.

Since it’s against their policy, there isn’t much debate to me. Ship media at your own risk.
Post 9 IP   flag post
comic books are explicitly listed as not eligible for media mail. https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

Also note: "upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage"

They have the legal right to remove, take out of bag/board, inspect the item and levy costs appropriately. But, media mail is not insured, so...good luck with the product arriving where it's supposed to in one piece. Complain about shipping costs all you want, I'm not sending anything that isn't insured for full value and media mail is asking for trouble.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:
Please note to anyone reading this. Comics are NOT valid media-mail products. It violates USPS regulations to send anything that includes advertising on the inside of the book......

That's funny. I was returning a comic book before (damaged) and the return address header had the companies name in it. (Comics was one of the words) & I was using a small cardboard box, much like the Gemini Comic Book Mailer, to return it. I was going to use Priority Mail and the Post Office employee asked me "what's are you sending? A comic book?" I replied, "Yes." She then said, "You can ship it with Media-Mail to save yourself money, and will arrive around the same time." I said, "ok, thanks!" This lady that helped me that day has been working for the USPS for over 18+ years.

So I guess what they don't know (or do know) won't hurt them. Thought I'd share that experience with you guys.

The person at USPS not knowing what they're talking about doesn't let you off the hook. You are responsible for what you put in the mail.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:

The person at USPS not knowing what they're talking about doesn't let you off the hook. You are responsible for what you put in the mail.

That is absolutely true. We are responsible for our actions and whatever we mail in the postal system. No one was disagreeing with you.

I was simply sharing my experience where the USPS actually condoned the action of using the media mail for the mailing of a/an comic book(s).
Post 12 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Look at it this way, at least you got a brand new envelope.

And they sent you the right item you paid for.

I got the wrong item, used envelope, and just one back board.

Post 13 IP   flag post
@JustThatGuy lmao
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEwan

Why bother, the back covers are normally all ads?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
comic books are explicitly listed as not eligible for media mail. https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

Also note: "upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage"

They have the legal right to remove, take out of bag/board, inspect the item and levy costs appropriately. But, media mail is not insured, so...good luck with the product arriving where it's supposed to in one piece. Complain about shipping costs all you want, I'm not sending anything that isn't insured for full value and media mail is asking for trouble.

He is spot on correct here, I was discussing this with our local postmaster last week while mailing some things. It is expressly against policy to ship things with ads, media mail ….period
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
But, media mail is not insured, so...good luck with the product arriving where it's supposed to in one piece. Complain about shipping costs all you want, I'm not sending anything that isn't insured for full value and media mail is asking for trouble

Well maybe the Post Office is more inconsistent than we thought because every time I ship media mail I pay $1 for $50 of insurance. I do this not because I think it will ever be claimed but because it gives me a tracking number and I believe it probably cuts down on the chance of internal theft in the postal system if the potential thieves know that it will result in an investigation that can verify when and where the item disappeared.

For those who regularly buy postal insurance, have you ever had a situation where it paid out?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
But, media mail is not insured, so...good luck with the product arriving where it's supposed to in one piece. Complain about shipping costs all you want, I'm not sending anything that isn't insured for full value and media mail is asking for trouble

Well maybe the Post Office is more inconsistent than we thought because every time I ship media mail I pay $1 for $50 of insurance. I do this not because I think it will ever be claimed but because it gives me a tracking number and I believe it probably cuts down on the chance of internal theft in the postal system if the potential thieves know that it will result in an investigation that can verify when and where the item disappeared.

For those who regularly buy postal insurance, have you ever had a situation where it paid out?

Yes. Shipped a slabbed fully insured and it arrived damaged. I sent the USPS images of the damage and got refunded.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Yes. Shipped a slabbed fully insured and it arrived damaged. I sent the USPS images of the damage and got refunded.

Good to know, what did they pay for? Full cost of re-slabbing?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller I also have had to make a claim through the USPS on a slabbed comic I sent. The box was 3" deep with 1/2" to 1" spare room on all sides of the slab and well bubble wrapped and popcorned. Low and behold...cracked corner. Claimed $75 to cover shipping and reslab fees. USPS paid within a week.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, sorry for the inaccurate statement. It doesn't come with insurance. I think you can add insurance to pretty much anything.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Wait...is it a media mail debate?

Or is it over already...
Post 22 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
The problem is that a lot of people do not like paying the price of priority mail. Unless they ask specifically for a certain shipping service I always ship media mail. Ship raw and graded insured and not insured for over 25 years with no problems or damage.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson

That's like debating if people who aren't handicapped should park in handicapped spots. It's 100% clear they should not, but they do it anyway for convenience (with obviously less societal impacts).
Post 24 IP   flag post
wait....now we need that little clip of yours with the dead horse, Enelson
Post 25 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

That's like debating if people who aren't handicapped should park in handicapped spots. It's 100% clear they should not, but they do it anyway for convenience (with obviously less societal impacts).

I don't think that is a relevant comparison. It's not really any more convenient to ship media mail, ground, or priority. You still have to box it up, print labels, go to the post office, etc. It's about the price...
Post 26 IP   flag post
Regardless this is...
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think that is a relevant comparison. It's not really any more convenient to ship media mail, ground, or priority. You still have to box it up, print labels, go to the post office, etc. It's about price...
Uh, yeah, i just picked an issue of public policy that people commonly ignore. I'd also argue it's much easier (and therefore convenient) to sell when you have lower shipping costs. All of this is still off-topic. I was just trying to make certain people had appropriate information regarding an early post that suggested using media mail. To do so is to ignore very clear guidelines from the USPS. I don't really care whether or not you (the collective you) follow said guidelines. We just need accurate information.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:

I know this is not a popular opinion but if I'm making a stop of less than 5 minutes and the regular spots are full, I actually think it's a bit condescending to handicap folks if I were to not use the available handicap spot. A handicap person is no less capable of waiting momentarily for a spot to open up than I am.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I know this is not a popular opinion but if I'm making a stop of less than 5 minutes and the regular spots are full, I actually think it's a bit condescending to handicap folks if I were to not use the available handicap spot. A handicap person is no less capable of waiting momentarily for a spot to open up than I am.

Amen brother 😁
Post 30 IP   flag post
601228 47 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?