Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Comic grading interviews10006

Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, awesome!!! Some great segments coming up. Props @antoniofett!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
EGS is a hard pass for me.
I just looked at their website and it seems like a slicker version of PGX.
Can't believe I'm saying it, but they might even be below PGX.

I actually had that same thought. I wasn't going to go down this road, but I have a few concerns about them. The least of which is that it looks like their "slab" is a comic skin holder with tamper resistant (or evident) seals on the sides. They even state on their website "EGS has partnered with Comic Skin to provide a case ..."

Some other concerns that I have are: experience of the graders, experience of their signature verifier, the lack of forensic equipment for signature verification, their honoring COAs, the option of choosing your own colored label and the fact that the main grader and signature verifier claims a 30 hour class as his credentials for being qualified to grade and verify signatures. I'm sure he did his own grading before this, but it's not like he ever worked for cGC or CBCS and is starting up his own company. It sounds like he did work at a comic store and was taught to grade by the owner there. But he didn't emphasis that, so I don't know how good he is. He may be an excellent grader, but I'm not about to pay him to grade any comic that I have. The company is two people and it sounds like the guy being interviewed was training the second guy.

I don't know what course the main guy took, but he stated that it was 30 hours long and covered grading, restoration and signature verification. It was all based on Overstreet guidelines. One thing he stressed was that they put their grading guidelines on their website for everyone to see. I pointed out that CBCS does the same thing, but time didn't allow that to be mentioned in the broadcast. Or at least, not before I left it. I would just caution people about this service. Study the website, watch the interview and decide for yourself. But for me, it is an easy pass.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O you had some great points! But in the end you and I are on the same page, pass on EGS. Once I interview the others I'll go in to detail as to why.

Up next I still have

PGX

CBCS

CGC
Post 28 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I saw the interview with EGS. Do like the fact the slabs are UV resistant. But that's all. I know they have only been in business for 7 to 8 months. But only have graded about 165 books and the coolest book when asked with a twenty second pause was Spidey 300. Halo had graded far more then that and as for coolest books they graded. I helped out with their grading on the weekends for the first 6 months they started and I had graded timely world war 2 cover books and a perfectly square bound GSX 1 that I graded 9.2 with white pages. With that said I wish them luck. It will be hard for them to get a piece of the U.S grading market as there are already 3. 1 firmly established and another with staff with credibility to bring to a newer company.
It was easier for Halo as the Australian market had been unhappy with sending books overseas with a TAT of nine months.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@southerncross never heard of Halo, I'll have to check them out!
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@antoniofett @sborock @dpiercy

Looking forward to the CBCS interview.
Are you still pulling forum questions or just from the stream? I noticed none of mine were asked with foo.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Don't really care to discuss the merits of other grading companies on a message board hosted by a single grading company, but I will say that I wish Fortress cases were still around.
Post 32 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man Yes I will take questions off the forum, I know Im so sorry man! I didn't see your questions until it was over! I owe you some questions!
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
the price of halo slabs are ridiculous ($50aud per book ) ... while they are based in Australia like me , i believe it's still cheaper for me to send and receive books internationally to cbcs. I struggle to see how they can make an impact in the market for that reason.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
the price of halo slabs are ridiculous ($50aud per book ) ... while they are based in Australia like me , i believe it's still cheaper for me to send and receive books internationally to cbcs. I struggle to see how they can make an impact in the market for that reason.

Over a week ago the Australian dollar was sitting around 64cents to the green back.
The price for grading is the same whether it's this months new issue or a vintage book.
After grading the book is sealed inside a mylar and the encapsulated for long term preservation. Never have to pay for a re-holder again.
Mark 2 slabs come with a chip in the label that allows 150 characters. So a collector at a comic book convention can pick up the book from a dealer and use their smart phone and up comes date of grading and grading notes immediately.
I suspect those are the qualities some Australian collectors see. Too each their own.
Myself I live in the states now and as I've posted in another thread I'm satisfied with the accurate grading by cbcs.
Most of my old books I'll be sending there not because I need another opinion on grade but to make it easier for my wife to sell my collection in the future if something were to happen to me. Probably go on a very nice expensive holiday 🤪
I'll have to re-holder my cgc books soon and send them over there as the slabs are getting old.
Overall I'm looking forward to the next few interviews from the other grading companies I think it will be quite insightful.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@southerncross is there a European or Asian comic grading company?
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
@comic_book_man Yes I will take questions off the forum, I know Im so sorry man! I didn't see your questions until it was over! I owe you some questions!

Saweeeeet!
When's the CBCS interview?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
@southerncross is there a European or Asian comic grading company?

I've no idea.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Deleted
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
EGS is a hard pass for me.
I just looked at their website and it seems like a slicker version of PGX.
Can't believe I'm saying it, but they might even be below PGX.

I actually had that same thought. I wasn't going to go down this road, but I have a few concerns about them. The least of which is that it looks like their "slab" is a comic skin holder with tamper resistant (or evident) seals on the sides. They even state on their website "EGS has partnered with Comic Skin to provide a case ..."

That's exactly what they use. You can see an example of the slab in this video at around 22:17.
https://youtu.be/NWFurgGBo4E

Like you, I have a lot of other concerns but the pricing alone is enough for me to pass.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man Yep!

https://www.eurograder.com/grader/index.php

looks interesting
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
Quote:

Saweeeeet!
When's the CBCS interview?

#soon

JK, Looking at the 1st weekend in october if everything works out
Post 42 IP   flag post
601481 42 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?