Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Comic grading interviews10006

Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve been interviewing collectors lately and it’s been a lot of fun, I’ve even been able to interview some of you here on the forms! Tonight is going to be a new style of interview!

3 out of the 4 grading companies have agreed to an interview and answer questions live on my channel! The 1st of (hopefully) 4 part interview series starts tonight in about an hour!

Come check it out and have your questions answered! Starts at 8PM eastern

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCItr7TMqk6TDw4IvnN9DuVQ
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
I’ve been interviewing collectors lately and it’s been a lot of fun, I’ve even been able to interview some of you here on the forms! Tonight is going to be a new style of interview!

3 out of the 4 grading companies have agreed to an interview and answer questions live on my channel! The 1st of (hopefully) 4 part interview series starts tonight in about an hour!

Come check it out and have your questions answered! Starts at 8PM eastern

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCItr7TMqk6TDw4IvnN9DuVQ

That sounds cool!!! Will they all be online at the same time, like a panel? Or are you doing one at a time?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Wait...3 of 4??? Who is the 4th??? CBCS, CGC, those whose name we do not speek and someone else???
Post 3 IP   flag post
@KatKomics I cant say, I'm trying not to get banned!
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O All online! One at a time as well and Ill be having other comic book you tubers on as well, like a panel!
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
You can say PGX. You just can't post, sell, trade, display, gift, donate, fornicate, or otherwise endorse their products in association with this forum.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I also wouldn't post a link to anything directly or indirectly associated PGX on this forum.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@DrWatson yeah, thats a road to ban city!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ban City? Is that like the Phantom Zone or Limbo?
Post 9 IP   flag post
If this was a Country Western forum, maybe it could be Fist City.
Post 10 IP   flag post
So...PGX is 3 of 4....who is #4??
Post 11 IP   flag post
CBCS, the cgc, PGX, and EGS.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@antoniofett I honestly tried to keep an open mind, but I just had too many red flags going up when he was talking. I tried to be polite, but I had to say something. And after I said it, I left so I didn't say anything more. It was not meant as a reflection on you or your cohost, just the guest.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I watched part of it, was surprised and confused that another grading company is trying to enter the market. I can understand how a non-U.S. grading service similar to HALO might get up and running but another company based out of Florida is mind boggling. I look forward to watching other parts of the series.

Their website can also use a little work. Maybe they can hire Doug Sulipa.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
CBCS, the cgc, PGX, and EGS.

Thanks....never heard of EGS.
I like mine scrambled
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

I like mine scrambled

How do you know which way you like it if you've never heard of it?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Originally Posted by KatKomics

I like mine scrambled

How do you know which way you like it if you've never heard of it?

Truly a "lost in translation" moment I presume.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@antoniofett I tuned in per usual but wasn't a fan of EGS at all. The guy seemed shady and the website reminds me of PGX.

If you asked him what his facility is like or how many employees they have I have a feeling it would of been a dance. PO box only? Signature authentication process?

I dont know...
But hey I wish them luck!
Post 18 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man @Jesse_O no worries guys! True EGS seems to have some growing up to do. If it was me, I still would stick with the ones that have a proven track record.

Who knows, maybe in the next feed years they might be a little more we’ll known.
Post 19 IP   flag post
So we had the interview with EGS, next is PGX then CGC. Now we only need CBCS to agree to an interview!
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
So we had the interview with EGS, next is PGX then CGC. Now we only need CBCS to agree to an interview!

@antoniofett I would be more than happy to do an interview with you.....
Post 21 IP   flag post
@sborock awesome awesome awesome! I sent you a PM with some details!
Post 22 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@antoniofett PM sent
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector peterc777 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
...was surprised and confused that another grading company is trying to enter the market.

Really? How many posts or topics have there been [recently] about people being dissatisfied with customer service/shipping/turnaround times/grading/cost/fill-in-the-blank?

There still seems to be a place in the market for a company to improve on the grading services. I don't know anything about EGS, or if EGS is the company that can remedy these complaints, but honestly, I wish them luck and hope they succeed.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
EGS is a hard pass for me.
I just looked at their website and it seems like a slicker version of PGX.
Can't believe I'm saying it, but they might even be below PGX.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, awesome!!! Some great segments coming up. Props @antoniofett!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
EGS is a hard pass for me.
I just looked at their website and it seems like a slicker version of PGX.
Can't believe I'm saying it, but they might even be below PGX.

I actually had that same thought. I wasn't going to go down this road, but I have a few concerns about them. The least of which is that it looks like their "slab" is a comic skin holder with tamper resistant (or evident) seals on the sides. They even state on their website "EGS has partnered with Comic Skin to provide a case ..."

Some other concerns that I have are: experience of the graders, experience of their signature verifier, the lack of forensic equipment for signature verification, their honoring COAs, the option of choosing your own colored label and the fact that the main grader and signature verifier claims a 30 hour class as his credentials for being qualified to grade and verify signatures. I'm sure he did his own grading before this, but it's not like he ever worked for cGC or CBCS and is starting up his own company. It sounds like he did work at a comic store and was taught to grade by the owner there. But he didn't emphasis that, so I don't know how good he is. He may be an excellent grader, but I'm not about to pay him to grade any comic that I have. The company is two people and it sounds like the guy being interviewed was training the second guy.

I don't know what course the main guy took, but he stated that it was 30 hours long and covered grading, restoration and signature verification. It was all based on Overstreet guidelines. One thing he stressed was that they put their grading guidelines on their website for everyone to see. I pointed out that CBCS does the same thing, but time didn't allow that to be mentioned in the broadcast. Or at least, not before I left it. I would just caution people about this service. Study the website, watch the interview and decide for yourself. But for me, it is an easy pass.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O you had some great points! But in the end you and I are on the same page, pass on EGS. Once I interview the others I'll go in to detail as to why.

Up next I still have

PGX

CBCS

CGC
Post 28 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I saw the interview with EGS. Do like the fact the slabs are UV resistant. But that's all. I know they have only been in business for 7 to 8 months. But only have graded about 165 books and the coolest book when asked with a twenty second pause was Spidey 300. Halo had graded far more then that and as for coolest books they graded. I helped out with their grading on the weekends for the first 6 months they started and I had graded timely world war 2 cover books and a perfectly square bound GSX 1 that I graded 9.2 with white pages. With that said I wish them luck. It will be hard for them to get a piece of the U.S grading market as there are already 3. 1 firmly established and another with staff with credibility to bring to a newer company.
It was easier for Halo as the Australian market had been unhappy with sending books overseas with a TAT of nine months.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@southerncross never heard of Halo, I'll have to check them out!
Post 30 IP   flag post
601510 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?