Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Recent Raw Grade arrivals10002

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Submitted Aug 1, arrived home Aug 30: The FF Annual should have been slabbed if I had known it would grade this high. The others are kind of perfect grade and value range for Raw Grade service.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
why raw grades on some of those keys instead of slabbed? And why does CBCS do NOT perform a restoration check on raw grades???
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
why raw grades on some of those keys instead of slabbed? And why does CBCS do NOT perform a restoration check on raw grades???

Good question!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I have them graded so they are ready to be sold online whenever I want to list them. For Silver Age books the Raw Grade costs $10 less than slabbed. I can ship Raw Grade books for $5 vs. $15 to ship slabbed books. So that is a total savings of $20. Factor in selling fees and return shipping cost from CBCS and the total savings is about $25. This means I can sell for $25 less than a slabbed book and still make the same money. For books valued $100-$200 that's a discount of 12%-25% off the slabbed price.

It's not for high-value books because they don't do a formal restoration check or guarantee. But they must do something, I got a book back that said "altered" on the label. I assume that means some kind of restoration was done.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
It would be interesting to see an average for what the same book sells for raw graded vs. slabbed with the same grade.

I’d imagine there’s more than a $25 difference, but we’d have to see what the numbers show to know for sure.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Here’s one I found. Some look closer and others took offers for raw grade, so, I’d have to deep dive to get accurate numbers for.

With lesser keys, raw grade might make sense.

Ideally, we’d need CBCS slab priced vs CBCS raw grades to get real fair comparisons.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Marximus private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty sure an average layman grader could arrive at similar grades on those books.

Having a sticker on the bag doesn't add value, IMO. In fact, it would make me more wary to purchase, because I'm thinking 'why didn't the seller have it slabbed? Is seller trying to scam me?'
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
I got a book back that said "altered" on the label. I assume that means some kind of restoration was done.

I assume that means, "please re-submit this to find out what we mean by 'altered'".
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus
Pretty sure an average layman grader could arrive at similar grades on those books.

Having a sticker on the bag doesn't add value, IMO. In fact, it would make me more wary to purchase, because I'm thinking 'why didn't the seller have it slabbed? Is seller trying to scam me?'

Raw Grade is a Liquidity tool. It really only works for books valued between $75 and $200. If you use it for more valuable books it certainly does raise concerns that you are probably trying to skip the restoration check. Here are my sales of Raw Grade books in the last 90 days, all on Ebay all prices included free media mail shipping:

Batman 171 2.5 $95
Captain America 100 3.0 $150
Fantastic Four 72 7.5 $110
FF Annual 6 6.0 $255
FF Annual 6 5.5 $195
X-men 28 5.5 $98
ASM 50 3.0 $245

The books over $200 probably should have been slabbed and could have gotten at least $25 additional
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The Raw grade service is designed for customers who are looking for a fast and reliable grade that will help these collectors assess their books without incurring the full cost associated with traditional grading and encapsulating.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl_H
Quote:

The Raw grade service is designed for customers who are looking for a fast and reliable grade that will help these collectors assess their books without incurring the full cost associated with traditional grading and encapsulating.

but what does „Altered“ mean?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

Yeah, that question has been in my head since the books came back. I never knew "altered" was an option, now that one of my books says "altered" it would be nice to know the details to determine new value.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

Yeah, that question has been in my head since the books came back. I never knew "altered" was an option, now that one of my books says "altered" it would be nice to know the details to determine new value.

I’d imagine it would impact the price as much as a purple label.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I’d imagine it would impact the price as much as a purple label.

True, I just would like to know the details. A trimmed cover would be different than a cut out coupon or missing page. Without the details I have no idea what the book is worth. I guess I could sell it as "mystery flaw".
Post 14 IP   flag post
598060 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?