Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeMemorabiliaQuestionsSignaturesSigning Opportunities

ASM 252/Secret Wars 8: US vs. Canadian print995

Collector sonny4eyez private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Everyone,

So I own both ASM 252 & Secret Wars #8 in the United States set, and also ASM 252 (.75 cent variant) & Secret Wars #8 ($1.00 variant print) in the Canadian circulation set too.

Here is my dilemma, I have a future opportunity to get 2 of these signed by Stan Lee and slabbed, which ones should I go ahead and get these done to? I hear the canadian sets are much more rarer to come by, so I am leaning towards those. Any input is appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think you can go wrong either way. Why not get one Canadian newsstand signed and one of the other ones signed?
Post 2 IP   flag post
The SW#8 Canadian I definitely will get signed and graded. As for the ASM 252 Canadian, it has a fairly large pinhole by the middle spine and that is whats holding me back from sending that one in.

Are Canadian price variants that highly sought after?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Some are I suppose. I am not the person to answer this though since I live in Canada and they are not all that uncommon. I have not heard much talk about them in the last year or so and I don't think all commanded a premium. There are plenty of people that still treat them on an equal footing as the direct or the odd US newsstand copy that may creep north of the border. I personally do not even consider them variants and at one time they weren't.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Are you going to pay $100.00 for each signature?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Mike_Oxsmall private msg quote post Address this user
Canadian newsstand editions or Canadian price variants are very sought after now, especially high grade keys.

the 2 books you own are always asked for, especially in vf or higher. it has been my experience that secret wars 8 is the harder to find book in any grade. i know a signature would add some value but enough to justify the cost? Thats your call. I think stan lee has flooded the market and i wouldnt pay for a premium for his signature.

i disagree totally with oxbladder that "they are not all that uncommon". They were never that common to begin with and with time less and less exist especially iin high grade. I know this because i was collecting at that time and have been doing so since the late 70s. i do believe oxbladder and i live very close to each other so i know the area he's talking about.

hope this helps
Post 6 IP   flag post
Well the LCS I go to has plenty of Canadian newsstand books and commented to me recently the demand for them has died. He even had some Harveys, Gladstones, and Archies and I don't think I have heard anyone even mention those. The toughest finds are the later newsstand books because there were so little distributed.

Yes the attrition rate was fairly high and yes higher grade is getting harder to find but that goes for many books from the late 70's on. Even direct market books. Many of the copies ended out in cheap bins or wasn't cared for as much as the older books so now it can be hard to find solid 9.0 and up. I had a hell of a time trying to find decent copies of Amethyst and Daring Adventures of Supergirl. For example and I wasn't even looking for newsstand copies. :/
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Of the 4 books, I would base it strickly by condition. Have him sign the 2 cleanest books of the 4. Just my opinion.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Of the 4 books, I would base it strickly by condition. Have him sign the 2 cleanest books of the 4. Just my opinion.

+1
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks Everyone! All of you make valid points, in the end I opted not to get them signed. But I appreciate the responses.
Post 10 IP   flag post
596800 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?