Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Suicide Squad Reviews902

Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I just saw it this morning and I couldn't put my finger at first what it was about the Joker that didn't sit with me until a few hours later after I got home.

This version of the Joker is materialistic. He has bling on his fingers, drives a flashy sports car, wears fancy pimped out clothes, carries a gold gun, and manages his crew like your typical gangster. Even Harley was a possession to him.

What I consider the "real" Joker, didn't care about money, the way he looked, or any of that stuff. He barely cares about Harley. She could be gone for a year and come back and he wouldn't even have noticed she was gone. He wouldn't even risk his own life to save hers, which he has proven countless times.

The Joker I like, can not be bargained or reasoned with. He is a tornado of destruction with no moral compass. He doesn't care about money or things. He only cares for the moment, and maybe Batman. He would even risk his life to prove a point,(Kill me Batman, I want you to do it).

Besides that, I really liked the movie.
Post 76 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I liked the movie. It was entertaining and that's all I went in hoping for. I thought it was better then all the recent movies except Deadpool.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
There some lawsuit going on where a guy is suing WB for false advertising. He is suit because a log of scenes of the Joker were in the trailers but were not in the final film.

I feel this is one of the ridiculous lawsuits but I kinda have to agree with him. The studios need to stop showing scenes not in the movie during their advertising. It is starting to get a little ridiculous. By the time the commercials hit, are not most of the movie past editing? So they figure these scenes are good enough to bring people in to the theaters but not good enough to have in the actual movie?
Post 78 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@roarzola It's hard to generalize so I don't think it can be a hard and fast rule. I work in video games and we just soft launched a game in the Philippines but the marketing materials had to be submitted weeks earlier since things need to be approved. Not to me tion the fact that some of the marketing materials weren't even put together by us, using things we'd made, sure, but things could easily have changed between the time we'd given them the materials and the time the game actually released.

It's not much different in movies and there are many cases of movies still being edited days, if not hours before the premiere.

With due dates set long in advance, productions are always straining to get the work done in time so lots of things are running in parallel.

And scenes are cut for various reasons not just that "they're not good enough to be in the movie.". A major one is time and pacing. The whole Rogue subplot was removed mostly for that reason; it disrupted the flow of the movie. One change can also necessitate cuts of otherwise good material. In T2, they cut a very cool, very difficult to shoot scene of Sarah and John removing the CPU from Arnold's head for time reasons, however the removal of that scene necessitated the removal of some other material explaining why that surgery was necessary and other material related to it. Much of it was great material.
Post 79 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Jared Leto recently said that he had filmed enough Joker scenes which were cut from the final film to make a whole Joker movie. I have a feeling there was a huge disconnect between the Director's vision and the studio, and the Director lost.
Post 80 IP   flag post


Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@roarzola It's hard to generalize so I don't think it can be a hard and fast rule. I work in video games and we just soft launched a game in the Philippines but the marketing materials had to be submitted weeks earlier since things need to be approved. Not to me tion the fact that some of the marketing materials weren't even put together by us, using things we'd made, sure, but things could easily have changed between the time we'd given them the materials and the time the game actually released.

It's not much different in movies and there are many cases of movies still being edited days, if not hours before the premiere.

With due dates set long in advance, productions are always straining to get the work done in time so lots of things are running in parallel.

And scenes are cut for various reasons not just that "they're not good enough to be in the movie.". A major one is time and pacing. The whole Rogue subplot was removed mostly for that reason; it disrupted the flow of the movie. One change can also necessitate cuts of otherwise good material. In T2, they cut a very cool, very difficult to shoot scene of Sarah and John removing the CPU from Arnold's head for time reasons, however the removal of that scene necessitated the removal of some other material explaining why that surgery was necessary and other material related to it. Much of it was great material.


I remember that scene and many others in "director's cuts" on various media. But this is a question of something that was actually shown in a trailer saying you will see this cool scene if you come to our movie. What if they showed a bunch of Batman scenes in the trailer, you go in expecting to see Batman in Suicide Squad, and then all of the scenes had been cut. I would have felt "jimmy jacked". The plantiff in this case is comparing it to ordering a hamburger at McDonald's and getting a chicken sandwhich instead. I think that is a little extreme but he claims he didn't get what was shown to him.

I get movies are edited close to the release date. They have even started showing trailers to movies that will not even be released for at least 6 months. I just get a filling this might lead to a disclaimer at the beginning of every trailer saying that all scenes are not an indication of the final product, just like demos of video games.
Post 81 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@roarzola I brought up the T2 stuff to describe why good material is sometimes cut.

There are long lists of examples of material used for marketing not appearing in the final product. From scenes in movies (here's one surely not comprehensive list) to levels and features in video games.

The plaintiff can put it anyway he likes but it doesn't mean he's accurately describing the situation. The trailers made no guarantee as to how big a role the Joker played in the film or how many minutes of screen time he'd have, nor was it advertising a "Joker movie."
Post 82 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Movies have done this as long as I can remember. The people in charge of advertising are not directly related to the actual production of the movie, they are given bits and pieces of something unfinished and their job is to put together something that looks exciting and is only 2 minutes long. Their only job is to put butts into seats, and they don't have any kind of authority to tell a director "hey we used such and such scene in the trailer you better not cut it." I really doubt that case will go anywhere, it's pretty frivolous.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
I stopped caring what critics thought a long time ago. They hate movies I like and love the movies I hate. Lots of rave reviews on the latest Bourne movie, but I thought it was boring and a re-hash of the first one with less action. Suicide squad had some issues with it for sure, but it was entertaining. Margot Robbie killed it as HQ.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Movies have done this as long as I can remember. The people in charge of advertising are not directly related to the actual production of the movie, they are given bits and pieces of something unfinished and their job is to put together something that looks exciting and is only 2 minutes long. Their only job is to put butts into seats, and they don't have any kind of authority to tell a director "hey we used such and such scene in the trailer you better not cut it." I really doubt that case will go anywhere, it's pretty frivolous.


Whether it is frivolous or not is up to a judge to decide. I am not saying this is, or is not, stupid. I am just wondering if he has a case.

How about if you ordered a car from the manufacture and the picture showed red, when it arrived, it was blue. They decided not to produce this car in red for whatever the reason. Now you can send the car back for a refund but I don't think you can do that with a movie.

I just have a feeling this is going to lead to a disclaimer being put on trailers in the future.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry that I am slow to the party. I saw it yesterday with 2 of my older teen age sons. We all enjoyed it and were entertained. I am glad that I saw it on the big screen instead of waiting to see it on dvd. My favorite characters were Deadshot, the Joker and Amanda Waller. All strong performances by the actors.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector captnwilli private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
I liked the movie. It was entertaining and that's all I went in hoping for. I thought it was better then all the recent movies except Deadpool.

As it may have its issues, I feel the same way. And yeah, Deadpool was crazy, off the hook great! IMHO of course.
Post 88 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Saw it tonight (last night officially). My grade is: meh

The only thing I enjoyed about the movie, was lusting after Harley Quinn aka Margot Robbie.

A C- I think.

Like others have mentioned. The Australian doesn't fit in as a tough enough cookie for the tasks. Neither does Harley Quinn to be honest. But I know she is very popular, so she isn't going anywhere.

Flagg should be dead easily. He is just a soldier, and he was targeted by the bad-der bad guys.

Who goes to a gun and laser fight, armed with a sword or knives? Or a baseball bat and a six shooter pistol? How come they keep the sexy non super female in a cage everyone can see her all of the time in. But put the really dangerous men in completely sealed rooms with just a little sliding window?

I could go on and on. But don't want to give out any spoilers.

There is a little trailer after the movie is over.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Jared Leto recently said that he had filmed enough Joker scenes which were cut from the final film to make a whole Joker movie. I have a feeling there was a huge disconnect between the Director's vision and the studio, and the Director lost.


Just imagine all the $$$ they'll make with a 2nd wave 'Director's Cut' release.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Collector Junglist private msg quote post Address this user
One of the worst films I've ever seen.
Post 91 IP   flag post
169901 92 16
destitute