Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSP

CBCS launches New Logo and Brand756

Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Just started my own business. I will be selling collectible labels, encased in a mini slab.

Sweet! I got a cool cross section of CBCS and CGC labels.

You better have an awesome label though or I may have to start up my own label slabbing service (LSS).
Post 1126 IP   flag post
Collector sterlingcomics private msg quote post Address this user
I see there's more problems with the company's lack of robust board software and lack of a census as more pressing issues. Yeah, the label looks like it can be improved. And maybe their problem is actually listening to customers who don't know what makes a good company brand.

I like looking up books, and I like my inventory being in a set not only to show off but to help me keep me straight.

In my opinion, get CORE functionality competition has, and do it better. Then come back and solve this label problem once and for all. The company label looks too big on the label, and the fonts size and placement is a little off. But please, don't listen to me because I'm not a trained graphics art professional.
Post 1127 IP   flag post
Collector jakecaputo private msg quote post Address this user
It's been about 45 days since the new design was rolled out. Has CBCS given an official response yet?
Post 1128 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
There was one response that basically just said "we hear you, we are going to talk about it internally and we'll let you know." right before SDCC. Then at SDCC they slipped out a photo (via a board member) of a prototype newer new label. And there hasn't been any peep since.
Post 1129 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Peep.

We're working on it. Hopefully it won't be much longer.
Expect to hear something in the coming weeks.
Post 1130 IP   flag post

Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Peep.

Thank you Steve for the update.
Post 1131 IP   flag post
Collector jakecaputo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Peep.

Great! Thanks Steve!
Post 1132 IP   flag post
Collector svgcomics181 private msg quote post Address this user
best news yet
Post 1133 IP   flag post
Quote:
Peep.

Post 1134 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Peep.

Post 1135 IP   flag post
Collector BradT private msg quote post Address this user
In case anyone missed it Steve is live on YouTube right now talking about CBCS!

Post 1136 IP   flag post
Collector BradT private msg quote post Address this user
Labels hopefully ready by NYCC per the interview!
Post 1137 IP   flag post
Collector silverage_shane private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome!!! I'm anxiously waiting. I have many books on deck ready to go!!!
Post 1138 IP   flag post
So hopefully less than a month.
Post 1139 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
The sooner, the better. Hurry up, guys, I have books to grade.
Post 1140 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Have they submitted the design for CBCS Forum Board Member approval yet?
Post 1141 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS nope
Post 1142 IP   flag post
Collector jdangerc private msg quote post Address this user
Hopefully the new labels will turn out great!
Post 1143 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
From your lips to God's ears.
Post 1144 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I received my first new label books back from CBCS. I was not a hater either way but I will say this. The font is way way way too small. I don't want to read the label with a magnifying glass to make out who the artist or writer is. I'm going to hold off on sending in more until the label in more user friendly.
Post 1145 IP   flag post
Collector reggieb private msg quote post Address this user
I just want to throw in my 2 cents as someone who is pretty new to the collecting game. I stumbled across these forums because I plan to finally display some of my comics. I don't buy many single issues, mainly just covers I really like, and in my new office, I plan to put some up on a little L-shelf.

This brought me to getting some of mine graded and slabbed so that they can go on there and look good, and after some research, I thought I'd prefer CBCS to the alternatives. I have around half of mine in now that I want slabbed, and I'm waiting on a few deliveries to send in some more. After sending them in, I came across this thread.

I have to say, I had seen the new label once - probably on eBay, but my assumption was that it was their first attempt at a label when they were just starting out. From what I had read around the interwebs, they probably started at a time and with a budget that maybe Word Art was the pinnacle of what they could use for their design.

Then I found this thread. I'm a little shocked. The new label and logo really look like they were designed in Word Art, and they seem to be doing well enough to be investing in their brand, so not hiring a competent designer is a little surprising.

A couple observations:

1. When we went through getting save the dates for my wedding, my wife and her mom wanted to skimp and have my no Mother in law do the design. I said we needed to go to a pro, but they believed that they could come up with something just as good. Well, we didn't, for the invitations, I got my wish, we bit the bullet and hired a pro, and lo and behold, it wasn't all that expensive, and the result was MILES better. Both of them were very happy once they saw the final result, and admitted they should have done the same with the save the dates.

CBCS really needs a pro design firm to do this, it's an investment.

2. Then I got to thinking, why not make some extra money by allowing buyers to submit a label design of their own? Credit card companies do this now, and it's a pretty cool idea. Some simple rules like no trademark violations, and you're good. Again, charge extra for it, and you both make more money, and make people happy.

There is a side benefit for me in that I run a small company with a crazy good designer, and I'd have him come up with something closer to what Thanos had designed. Actually, looking at this is why I had the thought, his design is beautiful, but would clash with some comics - it works because of the colors on that book he chose. But that means that you could pick that sort of thing when you submit your books, submit a design that matches the book and that you like.

Then those who don't want to spend the money, and aren't designers (nor do they know one) could just get whatever the standard label is. Couldn't be too many complaints then.
Post 1146 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieb

A couple observations:

1. When we went through getting save the dates for my wedding, my wife and her mom wanted to skimp and have my no Mother in law do the design. I said we needed to go to a pro, but they believed that they could come up with something just as good. Well, we didn't, for the invitations, I got my wish, we bit the bullet and hired a pro, and lo and behold, it wasn't all that expensive, and the result was MILES better. Both of them were very happy once they saw the final result, and admitted they should have done the same with the save the dates.

CBCS really needs a pro design firm to do this, it's an investment.

2. Then I got to thinking, why not make some extra money by allowing buyers to submit a label design of their own? Credit card companies do this now, and it's a pretty cool idea. Some simple rules like no trademark violations, and you're good. Again, charge extra for it, and you both make more money, and make people happy.

There is a side benefit for me in that I run a small company with a crazy good designer, and I'd have him come up with something closer to what Thanos had designed. Actually, looking at this is why I had the thought, his design is beautiful, but would clash with some comics - it works because of the colors on that book he chose. But that means that you could pick that sort of thing when you submit your books, submit a design that matches the book and that you like.

Then those who don't want to spend the money, and aren't designers (nor do they know one) could just get whatever the standard label is. Couldn't be too many complaints then.

Your Points of View are certainly welcome. However, if you submitted half your books because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieb
[you] had seen the new label once - probably on eBay, but [your] assumption was that it was their first attempt at a label when they were just starting out.

... then you can't really blame CBCS. Unfortunately your research didn't include investigating the looks of their current labels.
Post 1147 IP   flag post
Collector reggieb private msg quote post Address this user
No, it didn't, I made assumptions, as I stated. I also didn't say that I Was trying to blame them for anything. My research centered around accuracy of grading and relative values of the books after grading. I think it's pretty clear that I'm not angry about this. But I also think that the attitude of "You should have known" towards other people is a bit harsh. None of the screenshots around the site contained the new label, and so someone who's new to it is very unlikely to go and Google "new cbcs label"
Post 1148 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking as both a collector and a dealer, I think the new CBCS level has a solid look to it.

If CBCS rolls out a revised label at NYCC, I am confident that it will also look pretty damn solid.
Post 1149 IP   flag post
@reggieb welcome to the forum, you are not the only one surprised by the new label's "retro" qualities.

@CopperAgeKids that's a #riveting opinion you got there. I suppose "solid" is a good word to use when discussing rivets, but it's certainly the last word I'd use to describe this label. But modern art has proven one thing, no matter how hideous something is, there's someone out there who will buy it anyway.
Post 1150 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
The current label is more or less universally disliked. Fortunately an upgrade is in the very near future. I can't wait - I have held off submissions in anticipation.
Post 1151 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio
The current label is more or less universally disliked. Fortunately an upgrade is in the very near future. I can't wait - I have held off submissions in anticipation.

I can't wait for the newer label either. Hopefully, it will be available soon.
Post 1152 IP   flag post
@Kinzebac I agree. Things have been dull around here.
Post 1153 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS Totally. We definitely need something new to talk about around here.
Post 1154 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
I also have refrained from submitting until I see the new-new label. I will not submit if my slabs will get the rivet label.
Post 1155 IP   flag post
601492 1176 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?