Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSP

CBCS launches New Logo and Brand756

Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Spot on CatmanAmerica
Post 426 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
I like the new label ... a lot. It's 'stronger'. I feel it compliments my comics better.

I disagree with you but I 'liked' your post, because I'm glad to see some people going against the grain here. It takes guts to speak out when you are in the minority.

Also, you're wrong.
Post 427 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
There are people asking for a choice as to which label is used. Whether CBCS agrees is another matter, but I think this request is at least fair.

It's the ones that are screaming for labels to NOT be changed at all that make me SMH. They feel they're being told what to accept.
Perhaps, but isn't demanding that the label be returned to the old style doing the same thing to those who like the new label?

I do agree that CBCS probably could have eased this in (so to speak), but tbh they probably new there would never be a unanimous reaction. So what to do? Ignore the customers who want new, or ignore customers who don't? I don't think a poll would necessarily have solved this as I doubt the majority of their customers are forum members

CGC: "Holy crap, they're reacting to a label change the way our people reacted to the completely imagined illusions of damage our new case might possibly have displayed, but really didn't."

S
M
H
Post 428 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdangerc
I really hope that they give you an option to go with the old label or fix the new label. With Cincy Comic Expo coming up I am going to have Stan Lee sign a few books. I love CBCS and customer service is truly top notch, but I simply hate the new labels. I hope some kind of option or change happens before September. Fingers crossed.

He's coming?

Yes, I saw a post about it on their Facebook page. Stan would like the new label. It fits his generation.
Post 429 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWorthing
I'm looking forward to getting my 'Civil War' (Steranko Captain America Variant) ASP and 'Sinister Tales' #23 back shortly in the new livery

I like the way the new slabs present, and not wishing to fan the flames more (I agree with SilverAgeFan) .. it's a label/logo for Petes sake! .. it's not like it's causing waviness to your books.

It's all perspective. Anyone who discontinues using CBCS for the label is just a tool. Sorry if that offends you but it's true. You paid for a GRADING SERVICE. You want your book graded and in a case that prevents damage.

How the label looks is tertiary. If it's primary for you, get out of the grading comics game. Just keep your books raw.

Marc and Ken, beg to differ here, my friends. The label may be more than tertiary for some folks. Unless your crystal ball is much clearer than mine you can't possibly know all the reasons why folks pull the trigger when submitting books. So, is the abusive tone really necessary?

Grading is usually a key reason for the decision to use a grading service, but it certainly isn't the only one, let alone the primary one for some of us.

For instance, most of my CBCS graded books were already CGC slabbed. They didn't require regrading and I wasn't shopping for grade bumps. I decided to have books regraded because I liked the simplicity of the CBCS label and lack of objectionable color coding that instantly prejudices minor restoration regardless of type or degree.

If those factors weigh heavily on future submissions does that make me a tool?

Grading isn't a "game" for me, it's an important part of my collecting and business dealings (MANNUP Collectibles) as a broker of investment grade books. Most folks here know I'm a solid supporter of CBCS. That's why the decision to radically change the label design leaves me perplexed.

Changes that are forced on customers without thorough vetting and consultation have consequences. Just look at the CGC train wreck if you have any doubts. Reactions to a makeover may be marginal or serious dependent upon how the change is regarded by CBCS's customer base and how well informed they were in respect to it's implementation.

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here, but for some folks the label change is a tough climb. Those who see the new label as insurmountable shouldn't be castigated on a message board by fellow collectors just because they're unwilling to make the climb. It isn't a crime to disapprove of the label's optics and for some it may be a deal breaker.

Sorry about going on at length about this, but it's how I feel; OMMV.

I understand what you are saying but it is just a hard climb for me because it makes you sound like you are collecting the label as much or more than the the comic. I have comics that are on the grading room floor (or perhaps even shipped Friday) and will get the new label and I am nowhere near as emotional as some of the folks in this thread. I much prefer the old label but I am not upset at all about the change because what I paid for is the opinion on the grade. The slab and the information on the label are part of that service but how the label looks isn't a huge deal to me as long as the information is there for people to see.

When I buy a graded book I have only ever cared about the book. I have several graded books from CGC, PGA(PGX), and CBCS and their labels have things I like and dislike. They do have what is most important though, information on the book inside. I just can't seem to grasp those of you folks that feel how this information is displayed is critically important. No matter how a label looks it has never distracted me from what is the most important part of a graded comic ... the comic.
Post 430 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm looking forward to getting my 'Civil War' (Steranko Captain America Variant) ASP and 'Sinister Tales' #23 back shortly in the new livery

I like the way the new slabs present, and not wishing to fan the flames more (I agree with SilverAgeFan) .. it's a label/logo for Petes sake! .. it's not like it's causing waviness to your books.

It's all perspective. Anyone who discontinues using CBCS for the label is just a tool. Sorry if that offends you but it's true. You paid for a GRADING SERVICE. You want your book graded and in a case that prevents damage.

How the label looks is tertiary. If it's primary for you, get out of the grading comics game. Just keep your books raw.

Marc and Ken, beg to differ here, my friends. The label may be more than tertiary for some folks. Unless your crystal ball is much clearer than mine you can't possibly know all the reasons why folks pull the trigger when submitting books. So, is the abusive tone really necessary?

Grading is usually a key reason for the decision to use a grading service, but it certainly isn't the only one, let alone the primary one for some of us.

For instance, most of my CBCS graded books were already CGC slabbed. They didn't require regrading and I wasn't shopping for grade bumps. I decided to have books regraded because I liked the simplicity of the CBCS label and lack of objectionable color coding that instantly prejudices minor restoration regardless of type or degree.

Grading isn't a "game" for me, it's an important part of my collecting and business dealings (MANNUP Collectibles) as a broker of investment grade books. Most folks here know I'm a solid supporter of CBCS. That's why the decision to radically change the label design leaves me perplexed.

Changes that are forced on customers without thorough vetting and consultation have consequences. Just look at the CGC train wreck if you have any doubts. Reactions to a makeover may be marginal or serious dependent upon how the change is regarded by CBCS's customer base and how well informed they were in respect to it's implementation.

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here, but for some folks the label change is a tough climb. Those who see the new label as insurmountable shouldn't be castigated on a message board by fellow collectors just because they're unwilling to make the climb. It isn't a crime to disapprove of the label's optics and for some it may be a deal breaker.

I understand what you are saying but it is just a hard climb for me because it makes you sound like you are collecting the label as much or more than the the comic. I have comics that are on the grading room floor (or perhaps even shipped Friday) and will get the new label and I am nowhere near as emotional as some of the folks in this thread. I much prefer the old label but I am not upset at all about the change because what I paid for is the opinion on the grade. The slab and the information on the label are part of that service but how the label looks isn't a huge deal to me as long as the information is there for people to see.

When I buy a graded book I have only ever cared about the book. I have several graded books from CGC, PGA(PGX), and CBCS and their labels have things I like and dislike. They do have what is most important though, information on the book inside. I just can't seem to grasp those of you folks that feel how this information is displayed is critically important. No matter how a label looks it has never distracted me from what is the most important part of a graded comic ... the comic.

I feel everyone reading what you just put would be fine with it as it is your opinion. But if I called you a tool and your point was ridiculous you may not be so receptive to me.

Different strokes for different folks. I dislike the label which is personal but CBCS should not have changed it without letting people know who had subbed

I mean come on when it comes to collecting people collect buttons, matches, sandals, postcards literally anything. Collecting labels wouldn't be exactly off the chart crazy if someone just bought a CBCS slab for it
Post 431 IP   flag post
@matterus023 Oh please don't get me wrong, I do not approve of name calling. I am not even saying don't have the opinion you have I am just trying to understand it. I mean I assume like me there are things you like and dislike on the many incarnations of grading labels out there and I assume that has never stopped you from using or buying a graded book you want, or am I wrong in assuming that?
Post 432 IP   flag post
Perhaps a better question would be is that if CBCS were to design a new label or retool the new one what would be an acceptable look? Keep in mind there had been criticism of the old label almost from the get go. I know someone posted an example earlier in this thread that has a decent layout but it has some things that I really did not like either (ie colour and the Tiny book title compared to the absolutely massive publisher text). I like plain and unassuming but with enough clear markers that a book is restored, signed, etc without looking at the label.

Perhaps part of the problem is that while we all say this and that is bad there wasn't enough clear direction what would please the most people?
Post 433 IP   flag post
Collector KenWorthing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I hope I didn't come across as abusive? Matter-of-fact, certainly; but abusive ... no. I even did a follow-up post saying to give the office a ring.

If I've come across as abusive .. heck! .. I'm sorry, folks
Post 434 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user
@Oxbladder i would guess in my opinion. That cbcs would modify the new label to salvage what they have. If money was spent in developing the label this would be a suitable fix to rectify some of the issues with the coustomer base. At least this is what i would do in a business standpoint. Or to work with the person who presented an alternet label that would work, but to fix some of the issue that majority of coustomer did not like to provide a solid product to the coustomers.
Post 435 IP   flag post
Quote:
@matterus023 Oh please don't get me wrong, I do not approve of name calling. I am not even saying don't have the opinion you have I am just trying to understand it. I mean I assume like me there are things you like and dislike on the many incarnations of grading labels out there and I assume that has never stopped you from using or buying a graded book you want, or am I wrong in assuming that?

Oh of course like most people I have an opinion on almost anything lol. ''You can't please everyone'' is very apt here but that saying kind of takes away that we have common sense and are aware that when things are done right the majority will agree on things. Or at least not disagree with such severity.

You assume right, for me it won't stop me from buying a graded book. But will it make me less keen or in less of a rush to send certain comics in? Yes.

This just wasn't a smart move at all imo. The old label for me was washed out but it also had many great qualities. The old logo beats this one HANDS DOWN. Like you said about trying to understand others view points on this label matter I would really have to dig deep to understand those who prefer the new design. I mean I'm not thick I get why some would prefer it as that is just what their brain tells them looks nicer but for me as I have my brain I will never see it. No right or wrong answer though but the majority of opinion rules or should with things like this.

I have said before that I would of made the announcement about something else and only slightly changed the old label as an add on comment. Less washed out looking, better quality/thicker paper used and besides that I would have left it where it was. This should of also been mentioned to submitters so they knew of the changes.
Post 436 IP   flag post
Collector Frost451 private msg quote post Address this user
Not super excited about the new labels, but it's not the end of the world. Packaging is important to collectors so don't dismiss the people that are upset. CBCS should have held a contest to design a new label and let the community decide. That's how you get buy in from your fan base not alienate them. Looks like they need to hire someone to manage social media community relations.
Post 437 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost451
Not super excited about the new labels, but it's not the end of the world. Packaging is important to collectors so don't dismiss the people that are upset. CBCS should have held a contest to design a new label and let the community decide. That's how you get buy in from your fan base not alienate them. Looks like they need to hire someone to manage social media community relations.

For $50k a year I'm available bahahaha
Post 438 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just the opposite, really, but if you collect graded books the label comes along for the ride. I think a well designed label should compliment the book while not drawing attention away from it.

The new CBCS label isn't attractive (my opinion) and works against seamless integration into a collection of other graded books. The simple solution would be to provide customers an option.
Post 439 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023
Quote:

throw in relocation, and lets call it a day.
Post 440 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
@Oxbladder, I've made my position known. I don't mind the new label/logo in the least. It has the information on it that I, and future buyers or traders will need.
But CBCS could have handled the whole situation much better.
To everyone getting nasty with each other, let it go! Realize that we're all entitled to our opinions. There's no need to get ugly with each other. When you do that, you're acting like children. Is that what you want?
Post 441 IP   flag post
@matterus023 thanks for the response. I won't argue with any of it.

@CatmanAmerica thanks to you too. That is clear and makes sense. While integration is not that important to me I would say that it is nice to have labels that are mostly continuous. CBCS has tweaked their label over the past few years but not so much as to disrupt continuity. I appreciate that to some this new label is a drastic break from the game plan
Post 442 IP   flag post
Collector KenWorthing private msg quote post Address this user
This has just been posted by Kurt Griffis on the Trinity Comics Convention Services and Sketch Opportunities FB group ..

>> Someone just got the new slab in hand, and it looks a lot better in person. The darker color of the blue makes it look a lot better. <<

I have to agree with Kurt. Dang thing looks gorgeous

Post 443 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
My big problem with the video showing the new labels is... Why the heck did you guys put that Defenders 8 in with that crappy mis-wrap come man attention to details. And yeah I'm not going to go out and buy a new label slab to see how they look in hand. I'll have some back quick enough and maybe it would be even be quicker to use my Bronze membership 2 day moderns to get one is hand sooner.
Post 444 IP   flag post
I personally love the shield. Strong, bold,trustworthy are the words that come to mind. The whole labei to me looks professional and firm.
In MY opinion, anyone who thinks it takes away from the book is mistaken.
Post 445 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAgeFan
I personally love the shield. Strong, bold,trustworthy are the words that come to mind. The whole labei to me looks professional and firm.

I still find it ugly.

Some of the negativity was also due to the lengthy build-up of suspense, qith an, at best "meh" ending.

CBCS did a better job of announcing the forums a few months ago. Advice for future - let people know what to expect, so they are not let-down.
Post 446 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
@Marc_1 Why is that? Please enlighten us?

The label is the biggest draw for you to CBCS? HAHAHA

Seriously man, do you collect comic books or labels?

I think your position is way over the top and you are a drama queen for posting it online.

With all due respect, you calling anyone a drama queen is laughable at best.

Physician, heal thyself.
Post 447 IP   flag post
@Mio, earlier in another thread, I addressed how poorly I thought CBCS handled the whole situation.
Whether anyone likes the change or not, CBCS failed this time.
Post 448 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Mio, earlier in another thread, I addressed how poorly I thought CBCS handled the whole situation.
Whether anyone likes the change or not, CBCS failed this time.

For me they still have chance to rectify their obvious mistake. We all make them, even ones that to others are glaringly obvious and foreseeable. So regardless of the look of the label (as this is purely subjective) all they need to simply do imo is accept it was an oversight of not letting subbmitters know the change and act accordingly. This would be absolutely fine for me.

What you think @SilverAgeFan ?
Post 449 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DertyComix
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023
Quote:

throw in relocation, and lets call it a day.

I actually made the decision to go into comics full time a couple of months ago. Will take me a while to find my feet (if I don't, back to plastering for me )

Dream job would be to work for a reputable company such as CBCS. So here it is me putting it all on the line. CBCS hire me please bahahaha
Post 450 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user

Post 451 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I respect your right to an opinion even if it is only informed by a single book.

The industrialized design just doesn't do it for me. I don't care for the grade font at all. And if there's color coding for restored books (PLOD rivet border) then there's no way I can support it.

The shield alteration is fine. I'm not in opposition to modification of the shield emblem. That's a compromise to which I could easily accede.

It comes down to how well labels fit into a collection of other graded books. That's how I assess the final result. It isn't about the holder or the grading, those services fully trusted.
Post 452 IP   flag post
I think the 24 hour vacation was a bit harsh. Really disapointed CBCS.
Post 453 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I think the 24 hour vacation was a bit harsh. Really disapointed CBCS.

?

So you were put on the naughty step for a day?
Post 454 IP   flag post
@matterus023 Yes, by Steve Rickets, not any of the moderators.
Post 455 IP   flag post
601465 1176 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?