Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
SignaturesSigning Opportunities

Stan Lee charging $100 per sign on final con704

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking of Celebrity sigs, does CBCS have any trouble verifying these? I'm planning on doing them all red label, I don't want to bother an AW, especially when they are for my personal collection.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector SilverAgeFan private msg quote post Address this user
Put it like this: if I had an AF 15,or an AS 1, I'd probably pay $1000 and move heaven and earth to get Stan to autograph it. But really, why should the value of a Mcfarlane AS 300 go up if Stan signs it? I'm just lost as usual I guess.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Speaking of Celebrity sigs, does CBCS have any trouble verifying these? I'm planning on doing them all red label, I don't want to bother an AW, especially when they are for my personal collection.
I'd like to know if there's an issue with getting an AW for Ray Park and Ian McDiarmid at Tampa Bay Comic Con next month. I have 3 comics I want them to sign that feature Darth Sidious and Darth Maul.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAgeFan
I lost my arse in the speculation years of the 90's-2000's.

I'm patiently waiting for this new comic bubble to burst. The only modern books I buy anymore are of characters I love. I'm not investing a dime into new books in hopes of the value going up over the next few years.

Silver & Bronze on the other hand....
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
Quote:
I'd like to know if there's an issue with getting an AW for Ray Park and Ian McDiarmid at Tampa Bay Comic Con next month. I have 3 comics I want them to sign that feature Darth Sidious and Darth Maul.

Can't see why there'd be an issue with the AW, aside from being swamped.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
Quote:

There should not be any issue with an AW witnessing anybody in particular, as long as you are able to secure an AW. I'm simply choosing not to, also as far as I know CBCS won't be at the Expo, but they will be at Cincy ComicCon.
Post 56 IP   flag post
@rickdod3, for the most part, I agree. I do read as much as I can on upcoming "hot" books with an extremely low print run. Those I'll make an exception for.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3
Quote:
I lost my arse in the speculation years of the 90's-2000's.

I'm patiently waiting for this new comic bubble to burst. The only modern books I buy anymore are of characters I love. I'm not investing a dime into new books in hopes of the value going up over the next few years.

Silver & Bronze on the other hand....

And Gold
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzebac

And Gold

Haha honestly I VERY VERY rarely even see golden age books in my area. (Southern Illinois/St. Louis Missouri)

Sadly...I do not own any golden books. :-( maybe one day! lol
Post 59 IP   flag post
I don't have any GA either. There are a lot of affordable GA out there, but they won't be keys.
Post 60 IP   flag post
There's no less than 2 copies of NYX#3 on eBay with Stan's sig. I'm not 100%, but I doubt he had anything to do with that book.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

There should be no problem with entertainment celebrities. CSA Comics, who does the verifying for CBCS, has access to a HUGE database of signatures. It includes all kinds of celebrities: historical, entertainment, comic related, even sports.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzebac

And Gold

Haha honestly I VERY VERY rarely even see golden age books in my area. (Southern Illinois/St. Louis Missouri)

Sadly...I do not own any golden books. :-( maybe one day! lol

You are missing out.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle129 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If the celebrity has a long line sometimes the aw will give you their cell number to call them when your close to the front I had it done for Jon bernthal
Post 64 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@SteveRicketts, Steve, on the Stan Lee thread, we're having a lively discussion concerning someone signing Stan Lee in this case, a book they did no work on. Some (myself included) believe this should actually lower the grade. Others have different opinions. Can you comment?

In reference to this question, no we would not lower the grade of a book due to someone who signed it not having any creative input on it.

Where would this stop? If Grant Gustin signs a Flash book, do we downgrade for his sig because he didn't work on the book? Do we downgrade for a Hugh Jackman sig on a Wolverine book?

The yellow ASP or red VSP label negate the effect of the signature on the grade. The signature is authenticated and is noted as such on the label. We grade books, check for restoration, and authenticate (or witness) signatures. That is the extent of our involvement.

We will not get involved in telling someone how, or what, to collect. We offer a service and are not trained in the art of "what I collect is cool, what you collect sucks." That may be harder to define than grading standards.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCastle129
Quote:

If the celebrity has a long line sometimes the aw will give you their cell number to call them when your close to the front I had it done for Jon bernthal

When I read things like this I have to imagine there must be tons of potential SS books that don't get witnessed. Is this the case or do the AW's manage to keep up (mostly)?
Post 66 IP   flag post
Thanks Steve for the input. You made very valid points. Especially concerning Gustin and Jackman playing those parts.
I think we were wondering more along the lines of a person, (actor,artist, writer or whatever), whom had no connection to that particular book altering the value of that book by signature alone.
Of course, we'd never expect you guys to tell us what or what not to collect.
Post 67 IP   flag post
FWIW, I have no problem with CBCS not downgrading the physical grade, Steve is 100% right, there would no end in sight if they started doing that. I think however that we has consumers and collectors should downgrade the value of such things in the marketplace. If people don't buy dumb books with dumb sigs then the sellers will stop getting dumb books signed by irrelevant people. Oh who am I kidding 😜 there's no end to this stuff, there's always some smo who will buy it.
Post 68 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS, you raised an interesting conundrum earlier. IF Ihad you autograph a book for me in the presence of an AW, then my understanding is that I would NOT be downgraded. You had nothing to do with it but your autograph was witnessed. Thoughts?
Post 69 IP   flag post
Great, now you know someone at a Con is going to get a blank cover AW'd for a whole group of CBCS forum members signing it.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Great, now you know someone at a Con is going to get a blank cover AW'd for a whole group of CBCS forum members signing it.

Here's an idea, set up a stand next to the CBCS booth at a con, get an AW, and just have random people sign a blank comic. Let them draw stick figures, etc, on it. Then have them graded and auction them off them for charity at the next years con.
Post 71 IP   flag post
OOOOHHH THE HUMANITY!!!!! My head hurts. It's never gonna end! @DarthLego, but you see my point Darth? No downgrade if it's a witnessed, authentic signature. From ANYONE...
Post 72 IP   flag post
Anyone got an Amazing Fantasy 15 they'd like me to sign? No charge just for today.
Post 73 IP   flag post
But you don't have an AW for today lol
Post 74 IP   flag post
Damn! Tampa Con!! I'll be there, we'll grab Zachary, and I get to sign an AF 15. Heaven. Action 1 anybody?
Post 75 IP   flag post
You're bound and determined to prove free market value downgrading aren't ya? Lol
Post 76 IP   flag post
You could just sign every book you own and claim them as the SilverAgeFan Pedigree.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Not really Darth, been stuck in a hospital bed for a week. (Going home tonight), all you guys have kept me somewhat sane. And I thank all of you.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Very cool thought. Still need a damn AW.
Post 79 IP   flag post
After seeing some of the horrendous sketch covers on eBay, I'm still contemplating teaching myself to draw so I can churn out OA sketch covers. $$
Post 80 IP   flag post
601505 168 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?