Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ultra Pro or BCW for your bags?6624

Collector Ladic private msg quote post Address this user
is there really a difference between them? and do you guys prefer resealable bags or prefer using scotch tape?

Also for more expense bags, Mylar or Mylites?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in the process of re-bagging my collection and as far as the modern bags go, I like the ultra pro resealables better than the BCW resealables. The BCW bags seem a little too snug at times where the ultras feel like they have a mm more room IMO.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Ultra Pro bags are garbage. I use mylite2 with fullback (preferred) or use BCW silver age bag and boards with scotch magic tape. Not that clear tape.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Thearrow private msg quote post Address this user
Just like @kaptainmyke I use mylite2 with full backs and use scotch magic tape. I order in bulk from e-gerber. I haven't tried either ultra pro or bcw.
Post 4 IP   flag post
mylite2 seems worth it for your more valued comics but expensive for your filler comics. Do you guys have even your cheapest comics with mylite2?
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
All books I have cleaned and pressed (regardless of value), and books over $100+ I place inside mylites + fullbacks.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Well I just been re-bagging my silver age books so that's what I'm using the mylites2 and full backs for right now. It's not that bad if you buy in bulk it turns out to be around 44 cents per a comic to do. Modern age stuff u dont have to worry to much about bc they are made with better quality paper.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Well you have to rebag/reboard your comics every 10-20 years anyways with BCW and every 2-3 years with Ultra Pro, so why not pay the extra $ 0.30 cents to never have to rebag/reboard ever again, right? Ultra pro bags fall apart or start showing terrible wrinkles on the bags and this can press into your front and back covers if your boxes are stuffed too full of them.

Pro tip: for the mylite2 bags I make a little flap for the scotch magic tape so you can easily peel off the tape from the mylite2 bag by lifting the tag. The rigid plastic is often difficult to remove the tape or you peel the tape apart in pieces otherwise.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector CLT private msg quote post Address this user
Any reason I should not use 2 half-back boards in the mylite2 instead of 1 full-back?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I purchase bags and boards from a place called Mattsbaseball.com. The brand is CSP - Collect, Save, Preserve. Quality is good and prices very competitive.

I'm not a fan of Mylar bags - but if I were going to use Mylar it would be the Mylites 2. Thicker Mylar film is stiff and unyielding. With older books I've seen far to many small tears on the edge caught on the hard Mylar edge and turned into much bigger tears.

If you are talking about new books in great shape and you never plan on taking them in and out of the bag and board, sure, Mylar is great. But IMHO I'd just as soon change bags and boards in 5-7 years rather than risk tears on books I might be taking in and out of bags.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Ive actually damaged a coupe of books with resealable bags .. Those are really sticky.. And if inadvertently put book down on top of bag while the bag is open, say goodbye to the cover.

I stick with blue painting tape.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Ive actually damaged a coupe of books with resealable bags .. Those are really sticky.. And if inadvertently put book down on top of bag while the bag is open, say goodbye to the cover.

I stick with blue painting tape.

I meant to say this also. I despise self stick bags. They are really sticky and the amount of sticky glue is far more than a small piece of tape. Just a disaster waiting to happen
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
I meant to say this also. I despise self stick bags. They are really sticky and the amount of sticky glue is far more than a small piece of tape. Just a disaster waiting to happen

30 years of regular bags with scotch tape - 1 minor mistake
1 year of those self stick bags - 3 major disasters already.

I HATE those self stick bags like the plague
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Ultra Pro bags are garbage. I use mylite2 with fullback (preferred) or use BCW silver age bag and boards with scotch magic tape. Not that clear tape.

Ultra Pro and BCW bags and boards are both made from the same sort of materials; only a bit of variation in sizing....same polyurethane and "coated acid free" boards....which are not remotely archival grade.

BCW/Ultra Pro supplies are fine for short term storage of cheap moderns....up to 2 years.

)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT
Any reason I should not use 2 half-back boards in the mylite2 instead of 1 full-back?

No.

Half backs suck.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
EGerber Mylite2 / Full Back boards on Everything
Post 15 IP   flag post
How do you order the EGerber Mylite2? On amazon are very expensive but on their own website it is very fairly priced, but I don't see how to order from it?
Post 16 IP   flag post
You have to call them and tell them what you want to order. It's better to order in bulk if you need a lot of them.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thearrow
You have to call them and tell them what you want to order. It's better to order in bulk if you need a lot of them.

thanks, do you know if "standard size" which is listed as 70s to 90s will fit early spiderman, iron man, etc?
Post 18 IP   flag post
How early are you talking bronze age stuff?
Post 19 IP   flag post
My earliest Amazing spiderman is 32, I also have daredevil #2 missing a quarter of the front page.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic
is there really a difference between them? and do you guys prefer resealable bags or prefer using scotch tape?

Also for more expense bags, Mylar or Mylites?

I Mylite2/Fullback all my books, then use 3M Dots instead of tape.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Ladic for your early stuff I use 775m2 and 750FB for my silver age comics and bronze age stuff I use 725m2 with 700FB. I hope that helps.
Post 22 IP   flag post
thanks! @thearrow
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I obsessively remove scotch tape from anywhere near a comic, and use 3m dots which don’t ruin comics. I would never use a self seal bag and throw those away immediately.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Any suggestions on where to buy boxes for my slabs? Everyone on EBay or Amazon wants a ton in shipping.
Post 25 IP   flag post
E-gerber is also good for boxes. I get magazine boxes for slabs and they work good
Post 26 IP   flag post
I buy 5 graded comic book boxes at a time on amazon. Shipping's free... https://amzn.to/2JWk4Dt
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Any suggestions on where to buy boxes for my slabs? Everyone on EBay or Amazon wants a ton in shipping.

If you have a local comic book store, ask them to order them from Diamond. A store here in town sells such for about $8 each. kaptainmyke's suggestion is also good.
Post 28 IP   flag post
601537 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?