Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
If you haven't heard and purchase items from HA, the premiums charge is going up to 20%!

Heritage Auctions
Dear ....,

Please Note: For all Movie Poster auctions ending after June 1 and all Comics and Animation auctions ending after June 8, the Buyer's Premium will be raised by 1/2% (one half of one percent), from 19.5% to 20%. Please direct any inquiries to 214-409-1150 or Bid@HA.com.

The Buyer's Premium for auctions in our other categories will remain unchanged

Sincerely,

Heritage Client Services
3500 Maple Ave. 17th Floor
Dallas, TX 75219-3941
Bid@HA.com
1-800-872-6467
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
20% seems excessive. Does it come with any sort of, how should I word this, "favors"?
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Yea, that "buyer's premium" is nuts. That's probably why I've never bought a single thing through Heritage.
Post 3 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Holy crap! I didn't realize it was 20%. Is that on top of the percentage they are collecting from the seller?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Heritage, the PGX of auction houses.
Post 5 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Is that on top of the percentage they are collecting from the seller?

Not exactly sure about that but I know the cost is AT LEAST price + buyer's premium.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 3JJr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Holy crap! I didn't realize it was 20%. Is that on top of the percentage they are collecting from the seller?

Yes. Buyer's premium and seller's consignment fee. Do you seriously expect NP Gresham to roll his own cigarettes? These frills cost money!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJr
Quote:

Yes. Buyer's premium and seller's consignment fee. Do you seriously expect NP Gresham to roll his own cigarettes? These frills cost money!

You remind me of someone from the early days of the cgc boards.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Wow they are really squeezing the Turnip tight.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Been a long time since I won an auction from them....I usually figure the fees and even sometimes the shipping into my bids (on all auction sites). i.e. if it is a $200 book and I know I'll get dinged with $40 in fees , I only bid $170 max - once a year if I'm lucky ,maybe on a slow day when others are busy - I'll win for what I consider a good price.

But then I don't chase 9.8's either.....
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have bought many high end books ($300+ prices) from Heritage. But I quit several years ago. I just could not stomach the high buyers premium any more.

They do have good books there. But I can no longer justify their fees/premiums.

I would not sell with them either, for the same reason. Their cut.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I have bought many high end books ($300+ prices) from Heritage. But I quit several years ago. I just could not stomach the high buyers premium any more.

They do have good books there. But I can no longer justify their fees/premiums.

I would not sell with them either, for the same reason. Their cut.

Not to mention you have to provide a collection worth about 10K for them to list your books.

.....maybe some day when I want to seriously downsize my collection?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJr
Quote:

You remind me of someone from the early days of the cgc boards.

Some debonnaire gentleman of distinction with a rapier wit, no doubt?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Wow they are really squeezing the Turnip tight.
I think Heritage will cut a deal with a consignor, some slack for a lesser commission based on the rarity of material or dollar value of the merchandise being consigned, much like Metropolis will.
Post 14 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
I doubt that they would even consider offering my collection.

Marty
Post 15 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, I complained about the increase when I rated them on google and just got this email response...

Dear Mr. ....,
I wanted to let you know that I did receive your feedback expressing a dissatisfaction with our recent change to a 20% buyer's premium.

When an item is sold at auction, a commission must be paid to the auction house by the consignor, the buyer, or both. The final amount due is always calculated by taking the hammer price plus the Buyer's Premium. We have found that charging a 20% Buyer’s Premium rather than a larger Seller’s Commission makes it easier to attract consignments. When we first went to a Buyer’s Premium with our Signature Auctions years ago our volume of consignments increased substantially. Thus we had more items than ever to offer to our buyers, resulting in even more bidders, creating even more demand for the items being sold, and so on. Everyone benefited by this increased critical mass - except our competitors, of course!

Does this mean that we expect buyers to pay more for the items they purchase from our auctions? Not necessarily. Ultimately, whether a bidder bids $100 for an item (with our commission coming entirely out of that amount), or $84 plus the buyer’s premium for a total of $100.80, the net result is virtually the same. Most bidders will bid only up to whatever total amount they are willing to pay, the auction house will take its commission, and the seller will get the rest.
If you, as a bidder, feel comfortable with an item at a particular price, simply place your bid accordingly, to reflect the total amount you are willing to pay including the Buyer's Premium. Our site will even calculate and show you the total you are paying, so you needn't ever pay any more than you are willing to pay.

Based on our 40 years of experience in the auction business we remain highly confident that by displaying and calculating commissions in this way, the overall quantity and quality of lots we can now make available to you, our bidders, will continue to increase.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Randy Nicholas Ritter | Director Client Services
HERITAGE AUCTIONS
214-409-1720 | 1-866-835-3243 | Fax: 214-409-2720
3500 Maple Ave Dallas, TX 75219

Does this make sense to you guys?
Post 16 IP   flag post

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster yep - what we have always been saying, please refer to all previous HA related threads
Post 18 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I bet Randy writes that same letter to all the boys.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Look - if people have just a little bit of brain - this is what’s gonna happen.

FMV $100

auction house with no buyer premium $100
HA: $83 + buyer premium $100

What HA is betting on is that they can get the final price incl premium above FMV so that the seller don’t loose out.

They do this via their reputation and also probably via shill bidding when needed which they acknowledge in their T&C
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster I'm impressed that they actually addressed your concerns in an email. Props to them for doing that. If I got it right their summary is basically: "we put the fees on the buyers so we can attract more sellers".
Post 21 IP   flag post
That's what I took from it, @KingNampa .
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
That's what I took from it, @KingNampa .

I'd love it if ebay charged me no fees and instead put the 10% on the buyer's bid.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
So, if Heritage is allowed (and states they can and do) bid up their offerings. And you input the highest amount you are willing to pay, into their system. What could go wrong?

Man oh man. What a racket.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
So, if Heritage is allowed (and states they can and do) bid up their offerings. And you input the highest amount you are willing to pay, into their system. What could go wrong?

Man oh man. What a racket.
I've won some HA auctions. The trick is you don't set a max bid. HA will cheat and push it up to that amount. Just wait till the last minute to bid.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know what percentage they charge the seller?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Yep, @conditionfreak. No thanks!
I'll stick to eBay or CLink or whatever else.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@OGJackster I'm impressed that they actually addressed your concerns in an email. Props to them for doing that. If I got it right their summary is basically: "we put the fees on the buyers so we can attract more sellers".

I thought Heritage received a percentage from the seller and buyer.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

I thought Heritage received a percentage from the seller and buyer.

I've got 2 coupons to list on HA with no fees. I think they are shifting all the fees towards buyers these days. They probably found it easier to get their percentage that way.
Post 29 IP   flag post
All questions have previously been addressed

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/2908/page/1/thoughts-about-heritage-auctions/#28
Post 30 IP   flag post
601488 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?