Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignatures

Explainlikeimfive: Stan Lee sig. values6447

Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
The Stan Lee forgery signature thread got me thinking about the inherent value of his signature on anything. While I do obviously understand his contributions to comics are immeasurable, I just don't get how his signature on a book can still increase value so much. The guy has signed EVERYTHING. Isn't the reason a collectible primarily increases in value due to scarcity and demand? If I put a matchbook from a strip bar in front of him I'm sure the guy would sign it. I get the value of him signing an original early marvel book he wrote. But how come there are so many auctions where he signed books he had nothing to do with? If I can catch him before he passes should I have him sign my Adolescent Radioactive Blackbelt Hamsters #1? There are soooooo many signatures out there. Any way....thoughts? Am I way off? Should I have him sign my NFL SuperPro?

*explainlikeimfive appears courtesy of Reddit
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I think his sig on any book prominently featuring a character he created makes sense.

I’d imagine his sig is getting more & more expensive simply due to his age and diminishing health. We know he won’t be with us much longer & many are eager to get his sig or meet him before he passes.

As far as his signing random stuff he wasn’t even tangentially connected to? I can’t answer that.
Post 2 IP   flag post
A couple examples-pretty sure he had 0 to do with Spider Gwen and Star Wars. I get the 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon with Spider Gwen...but Star Wars?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spider-Gwen-1-CGC-SS-Signature-Autograph-STAN-LEE-Signed-EXCELSIOR-9-8-Quote/163041909059?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150817211709%26meid%3De850ea9cd6e54ae5a7b53d1b1779de94%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D163041909059&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-SS-9-8-Signed-Stan-Lee-Star-Wars-1-Joe-Quesada-1-500-Art-Cover-Variant/382474761878?hash=item590d45b696:g:rGMAAOSwxUtbC1UV
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yeah, Star Wars is an odd one. Some could make the incredibly loose connection that “hey, it’s a Marvel comic!” But I agree that’s a stretch.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Menoth79 private msg quote post Address this user
Soooo much graded stan lee out there that one should just simply buy it already witnessed/slabbed at this point.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Definitely the convenient way to go. Especially given the LONG lines.

A friend of mine desperately wanted to meet Stan & said he would take one of my books to get signed & split the cost with me in exchange for the opportunity.

Sadly, this was Silicon Valley Comic-Con, in the midst of the current turmoil & health scares.

I texted him to ask “how was Stan?”, knowing how much he was looking forward to meeting him. His response was “I don’t think [Stan] knew where he was”.

Knowing what we know now, I’d suggest buying an already authenticated yellow label. I don’t like the idea of just propping him up for sigs. If he were noticeably enjoying it, it would be different.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Pete Rose signs anything you put in front of him as long as some form of hard currency is attached to it. I view Stan's signature the same way. Part of the inflated prices, to me, are that sellers have to make up for time spent waiting for the signature, in addition to the cost of acquiring it. There's nothing scientific in my response, just opinion.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I first signing from Stan was 1992 when Venom #1 came out.I was so happy to get 4 only comics signed by Stan and free but i couldn't see paying $100 are even $130 only because Stan has signed from comics to garbage cans.To many.If it was limited maybe but know millions,no go.I am happy to have the few moments i got to talk with Stan and of course his signings for my comics.Its been nice to visit with him.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector JLA555 private msg quote post Address this user
like myself I have a iron man helmet signed my Stan I was their to witness it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@Enelson Yes, there are a ton of Stan Lee signatures out there, but due to his importance to the comic book genre, it is still valuable and worthwhile to obtain his signature. And yes, to answer your question, it appears that Stan will sign just about anything you put in front of him.

The what you get signed, does it make sense, will it increase value, will it retain value....those questions are open to debate and personal preferences.

It appears from what I've read so far in this thread that I am in the minority opinion on Stan Lee signatures. I am only interested in and would only get Stan Lee to sign a comic book that he directly worked on. Getting his signature on modern books (even key issues) of characters that he originally created, but didn't actually work on, holds no interest to me. I don't begrudge anyone for getting those comics signed or people for buying them. It's just that I won't.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I blame Sheldon!!!!

Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
He's asking for $150 now.

I project when he dies a typical Stan Lee signature will be worth about $70 moving forward. Pete Rose is an excellent example as a bellweather.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I blame Sheldon!!!!

This scene was one of the first things to come to mind when I saw this thread. 😆
Post 13 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim It's humorous, but I think it speaks accurately to the mentality of a lot of collectors. They want something unique!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke @Jesse_O you know what, you guys made me think of something, from now on I only want Stan Lee signed baseballs
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Absolutely.

It blows me away though when I see what people think Stan’s signature does for a random item’s value.

A $300 statue is now a $1000 statue? Right . . .
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
the only real money making stan lee autograph is one where he scribbled a quote or did a creepy spider-head sketch. (Usually for charity pieces)
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@Enelson I think the best time to buy a yellow label Stan Lee will be a couple years after he passes. The market will be flooded with every person trying to cash in on their “rare” signature. The oversupply will push down the price. Similar thing happened recently with Gal Gadot yellow labels. 9.8 SS were selling for below cost.
Post 18 IP   flag post
because of you
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
A friend collects autographs and he is very much in the Stan Lee on Batman comics group. His philosophy is that its not a unique or rare collectible if everyone has one. The majority of his collection is on dollar bills, but he has some on baseballs and posters.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector 3JJr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Pete Rose signs anything you put in front of him as long as some form of hard currency is attached to it. I view Stan's signature the same way. Part of the inflated prices, to me, are that sellers have to make up for time spent waiting for the signature, in addition to the cost of acquiring it. There's nothing scientific in my response, just opinion.

Good analogy, Stan's signature and Pete Rose's. I think that comparing Stan to Bob Feller is even closer as Bob lived into his 90s and appeared at innumerable shows, a congenial and avid signor. This is also why although Feller is one of the greatest MLB pitchers of all time, his signatures have only as much value as the item they're signed on and are among the easiest ones in that hobby to find (like Rose).
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Stan will never die.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
The Stan Lee forgery signature thread got me thinking about the inherent value of his signature on anything. While I do obviously understand his contributions to comics are immeasurable, I just don't get how his signature on a book can still increase value so much. The guy has signed EVERYTHING. Isn't the reason a collectible primarily increases in value due to scarcity and demand? If I put a matchbook from a strip bar in front of him I'm sure the guy would sign it. I get the value of him signing an original early marvel book he wrote. But how come there are so many auctions where he signed books he had nothing to do with? If I can catch him before he passes should I have him sign my Adolescent Radioactive Blackbelt Hamsters #1? There are soooooo many signatures out there. Any way....thoughts? Am I way off? Should I have him sign my NFL SuperPro?

*explainlikeimfive appears courtesy of Reddit

Keep in mind that huge portion of Marvel comics, actually the lion's share of them, have the words, "STAN LEE PRESENTS" at the top of every splash page! And it's there whether he participated in the scope of that comic or not, thus arguably appropriate for him to sign. Reinforced by Stan being co-creator on a good many number of characters in any Marvel comic that he's asked to sign.

Of course, it's more desirable to have Stan's signature on a comic that he worked on, but keep in mind that decades ago, when creators did sign comics, they were mostly splash page signatures, unless asked to do otherwise.

There are genuine Kirby cover signatures, but his modus operandi was to go right to the splash page to sign on the bottom margin. Decades ago, that's what Stan would do also, except he used to mostly sign the top margin of the splash.

For the most part, cover signatures are a relatively new phenomena, IMO, the practice of signature placement and collector demand, bolstered by the grading services.

I think it makes more sense to see signature series labels over books with visible signatures. Once it's hermetically sealed, the only way to see splash, or other inside page signatures is to crack it out, defeating the whole purpose of encapsulating.

A signature series slab has far more historically visual impact and makes more collector's sense if you can see the signature.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Stan will never die.

From your keyboard to God's ears!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJr
Quote:
Stan will never die.

From your keyboard to God's ears!

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

I project when he dies a typical Stan Lee signature will be worth about $70 moving forward. Pete Rose is an excellent example as a bellweather.

Lee's signature, on a lot of CGC SS slabs, often end up closing under $100.

It mostly depends on the book and the grade.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
It appears from what I've read so far in this thread that I am in the minority opinion on Stan Lee signatures. I am only interested in and would only get Stan Lee to sign a comic book that he directly worked on. Getting his signature on modern books (even key issues) of characters that he originally created, but didn't actually work on, holds no interest to me.

If this is the minority opinion, its at least not a minority of one. I completely agree.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Stan will never die.

He'll never really be dead, as long as we remember him...
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Keep in mind he currently charges $130+ for his sig, so in a sense he's driving his own signature value up artificially because people are desperate to get it before he passes.

So I think items he had nothing to do with Will be near worthless. I think items he had close ties to will retain value, someday increase. I only ever wanted his signature on an amazing fantasy 15, which I got it on a reprint. i wouldn't have done this to an original, personally. it looks good in a slabbed AF15 book, though. Regardless of the grade.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I have 3 yellow label Stan sigs: a Spidey 300, a Captain America 6 (1st Winter Solder) and I’m awaiting a low grade Tales to Astonish 44 from across the street.

The Winter Soldier book is the odd duck, but I won it at auction for a decent price. Of all of them, that one could drop a bit in the years to come because it’s a Modern in only 9.2. It’s basically only worth the price of the sig.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601512 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?