Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

A guideline to CPR'ing CGC slabs6376

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty good thread with a timeline of CGC tighter grading periods, in this thread:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/431132-is-grading-strict-currently/?page=5

2002-2003 and 2007 are the tightest grading periods.Followed up pretty closely by 2017-2018.

2002-2003 are generation 1 era slabs, which already tend to sell for a premium.

2007 however, would be a sleeper year, and would not sell for 2002-2003 old label premiums, if you're looking for very tightly graded books. 2007 is even a bit tighter than 2002-2003; 2007 is CGC tightest period on record.

This holds true for earlier books, beyond coppers, per the 3 charts posted in the earlier pages of this thread.

See page 4:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/431132-is-grading-strict-currently/?page=4

CGC apparently is in a uber tight phase, now.

I really hope that they loosen up a good bit, by the time Baltimore onsite grading rolls around.

Otherwise, I'm effed 😂😂😕😰
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I have a House of Secrets 92 in an old slab, but I haven’t checked the slab date. I’m a little nervous about regrading it anyway since it’s already an 8.0. Even a .5 hit would suck. Either way, I’ll have to check.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
I just bought a Green Lantern #7 CGC 8.0 that was graded in 2010 with ZERO grading notes. Considering cracking it and having it signed by Joe Giella before reslabbing at Denver Comic Con but this definitely has me questioning myself.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I have a House of Secrets 92 in an old slab, but I haven’t checked the slab date. I’m a little nervous about regrading it anyway since it’s already an 8.0. Even a .5 hit would suck. Either way, I’ll have to check.

Well, just because the book was graded in a tighter period, doesn't mean it will grade higher now.

Especially considering that CGC is currently in a tighter period. This isn't a cheat sheet on how to crank out a quick buck.😉

You'd have to look at books on their individual merits.

The title of this thread was also meant in a tongue in cheek way; not literally.

2007 is the last year that Borock worked for CGC; grading (on average) saw a drop in tightness, the following year.

I think CGC may be (partially) hammering grades, and has been for the past couple years, to beat off their sole legitimate competitor in CBCS.

Personally, I do not care for super strictly graded books, or softer graded books.

Fairly conservative grading, on a steady basis, is what I want to see, from both companies.

As of now, I think CGC and CBCS for the most part, grade books on a pretty similarly predictable field.

But both companies are not super reliable, when it comes to consistency.

I sure as Hell don't want either company slamming coppers and moderns with 9.6's, on what should be 9.8's.

I also have high grade silver and bronze keys that I want to sub at Baltimore; to both companies.

If I get the hammer from either one of them, I stand to lose thousands of dollars.

That isn't an exaggeration.

I have not subbed a single book to either CGC or CBCS since 12/2016. And that was a very light sub too, barely 20 books to CGC at a con.

I have about 150 books already prepped for Baltimore.

I have enough time/books to get another 300 books locked and loaded, by the time Baltimore comes around. A steady clip of 2-4 books done per day.

If CBCS and CGC are both trying to grade harder than the other as some sort of business tactic, I will be holding back on the majority of my subs.

If I don't get a 9.8 on my Captain Marvel 26....A $2000 slab in 9.8, becomes a slow seller at $500, in 9.6.

My Blackhawk 133 gets hammered with a 7.5-8.0 instead of an 8.0-9.0?
....bam. That is at least a grand, out of my pocket.Maybe 2-3000.

And all of the coppers and moderns that are good for $125-$200 in 9.8's...they become books that I either break even on....or are just borderline time wasters, at 9.6's.

That's not good.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
I just bought a Green Lantern #7 CGC 8.0 that was graded in 2010 with ZERO grading notes. Considering cracking it and having it signed by Joe Giella before reslabbing at Denver Comic Con but this definitely has me questioning myself.

If there are no notes, that largely means that a book has no unusual defects to the interior i.e. no defects you won't see in a slab or unusual defects that are not typically consistent with the assigned grade.

Of course, you have to be capable of grading slabbed books when the slabbed book is in your hand, with solid accuracy.

If you're not sure; best to send it into a presser who has the eye/experience for that sort of stuff.

I can look at slabs and judge them by eyeball.

Any presser worth his salt has the experience as a competent grader, by nature.

If I were you, I'd send the book to Joe at CFP to be pressed, before it's signed.

If it's a bad idea, he'll tell you so.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Real tight grading at CGC I see.....real tight. I bought this book personally off the newsstand rack at Barnes and Nobles. Look at that upc barcode! It's all scuffed and scratched up, bunch of white gunk on it. The corners are rounded. Scratches.

I slipped them a $20 for pressing and I got a 9.8. What?!

Super tioght grading.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
A red slabbed CGC was from their early grading period correct? I just bought a red labeled power man and iron fist 66.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Real tight grading at CGC I see.....real tight. I bought this book personally off the newsstand rack at Barnes and Nobles. Look at that upc barcode! It's all scuffed and scratched up, bunch of white gunk on it. The corners are rounded. Scratches.

I slipped them a $20 for pressing and I got a 9.8. What?!

Super tioght grading.

I see rubbing on the UPC; likely from stacking during final production or shipping.

I don't see any white "gunk" in the UPC box, just some ink loss in the bar code area.

That is largely a manufacturing/production related defect, to begin with.Light scuffing/ink loss is common on both CGC and CBCS 9.8 books, as long as the book is free of spine ticks, or has light spine ticks that barely break color.

The corner "rounding" you referred to is, to the degree present on that book, is present on about 99 out of a 100 copies of all new books.

I don't see any spine ticks.

You probably would have gotten a 9.6 or lower; depending on the amount of spine ticks on the book before being pressed.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
A red slabbed CGC was from their early grading period correct? I just bought a red labeled power man and iron fist 66.

Yeah.

You can just punch in a cert # on CGC'S site to pull up the grading date, that won't cost anything.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, I'm glad they're a little tighter on the grading, personally. It's one thing I like about CBCS! If I get a 9.8, I know I earned it, ha ha. I've seen a few 9.8's from CGC that were real head-scratchers. Heck, I have one in my collection I bought through Dynamic Forces a few years ago and pulled it out last week - I was ticked off! To me, it looks like a 9.4. 9.6 would be generous.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Yeah.

You can just punch in a cert # on CGC'S site to pull up the grading date, that won't cost anything.

Uncanny X-Men #244 9.6 W August 8, 2000
ASM #298 9.4 W Jan 2, 2001
Cool. But I'm lazy, so meh lol
Post 11 IP   flag post
GASP!!! The MCP!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah.

In about half the time it took to type that post out, you could have punched in each of the cert # 's to get the dates.

Just sayin'😉

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
GASP!!! The MCP!

??
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user

Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah.

In about half the time it took to type that post out, you could have punched in each of the cert # 's to get the dates.

Just sayin'😉

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx

Yes, that's how I got the dates I posted.
I thought it was cool how early they are.
I'm too lazy to CPR them.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Ah...doh.

That didn't register with me.

And btw, I don't think cracking red labels is neccesarily a good idea....especially on moderns.
Post 17 IP   flag post
601494 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?