Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop CultureQuestions

[PSA] Publishers: Variant Fatigue Syndrome6295

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke My LCS had a 1:500 variant and multiples on other retailer incentives. The best of these was 9.4 or lower due to both the top and bottom interior corner damage.
Post 301 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
sadface
Post 302 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Must....resist....store....variants...

Maybe I'll get the WoSM and JLA homage covers when the are discounted...
Post 303 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
This one goes on sale today. This is one variant which people should consider. if you do plan to buy it - go for the virgin set. Don't think you will be disappointed

Disclaimer: I will buy this set for selling

That's a nice cover. You convinced me, Poka, so I bought a few. Even got one of the 9.8's on pre-order, which I haven't done yet for any comics. Seemed like a good price to be sure of that grade.

Where did you buy yours? From The Comic Mint? (I noticed Comic Mint prices are lowest, but don't know if it is too late to warn others. All the prices are pretty close, and Golden Apple are in CAD, so only seem higher in some cases.)

Post 304 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
...... (who is selling this one?)

https://sanctumsanctorumcomics.com/collections/sanctum-sanctorum-comics-oddities-store-exclusives/products/07-11-2018-amazing-spider-man-1-lucio-parrillo-sanctum-sanctorum-c-o-store-exclusive-trade-dress-virgin-set

Still plenty left. Just sayin.
Post 305 IP   flag post

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@kaptainmyke Damn. It seems like the Marvel print shop has been pushing quantity over quality recently; Mayhew Venom #1's were all trashed & had to be reprinted, and I guess some of the ASM 800 variants came out looking like they'd been mugged. Hoping the shattered ASM 300 swipe version of 800 comes out ok.

Speaking of, any idea when that will be in @poka ?

They say that they will start shipping late next week
Post 306 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid I buy from either comic mint 7ate9 or sad lemon. For this one bought from sad lemon
Post 307 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Must....resist....store....variants...

Maybe I'll get the WoSM and JLA homage covers when the are discounted...

Or you can join my flash sale in 3 hrs
Post 308 IP   flag post
Did anyone notice in this months Marvel Previews the 30 variant covers of Fantastic Four? 9 are Fantastic Four #1, while the other 21 are other titles with Fantastic Four variant covers. And you know every shop will be pushing their store exclusives too...

The only Fantastic Four comic I'll be picking up in August is the Facsimile copy reproducing the original copy of FF#1 including adds. That looks cool. I wish they would do more of those of super key issues.
Post 309 IP   flag post
Quote:
30 variant covers of Fantastic Four

Post 310 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
30 FF variants? Sounds like 30 things to avoid.
Post 311 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:

https://sanctumsanctorumcomics.com/collections/sanctum-sanctorum-comics-oddities-store-exclusives/products/07-11-2018-amazing-spider-man-1-lucio-parrillo-sanctum-sanctorum-c-o-store-exclusive-trade-dress-virgin-set

You just became an enabler!
Post 312 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
30 FF variants? Sounds like 30 things to avoid.

It sounds like an entire publisher to avoid.
Post 313 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, I think it's funny they are still yet available. Too many tired swipes. Orders not being sold out.
Post 314 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, I think it's funny they are still yet available. Too many tired swipes. Orders not being sold out.
a) price.. Turned me off straight away
B) retailer is not one of the common ones (at least not for me)
Post 315 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Did anyone notice in this months Marvel Previews the 30 variant covers of Fantastic Four? 9 are Fantastic Four #1, while the other 21 are other titles with Fantastic Four variant covers. And you know every shop will be pushing their store exclusives too...

The only Fantastic Four comic I'll be picking up in August is the Facsimile copy reproducing the original copy of FF#1 including adds. That looks cool. I wish they would do more of those of super key issues.

Of all the things with variant covers that bug me, this practice of "fake" covers bugs me more than anything else. Captain America with a FF cover? Or The Incredible Hulk as Venom? Spider-Gwen version of Punisher? And these covers, they have NOTHING to do with the story inside? No, thank you.

It doesn't even make sense! Why get the Black Panther cover on Avengers, or the Squirrel Girl version of Star Wars, or whatever the hell? It just seems so wrong. If you want a zombie version of your favorite hero, then go the Archie route and write a damn story. Six issue miniseries: The Walking Dead Avengers meet the eXterminated Men.

Anyway, I just had a look at a couple of the FF variants. Four of them are ARTGERM, doing one each for the four characters. I saw two of them, and, unfortunately, they actually look pretty awesome. I might have to get a set of these...

Post 316 IP   flag post

Just got this today. It's the Amazing Spider-Man 800 Tyler Kirkham "Customer Appreciation" variant offered by UnknownComicBooks.

Oh wait, no it's not. It's just the "trade" version of this cover...I accidentally "zoomed in" there and got excited.

Hahahahaha...Psyche!!!! Had you going there for a moment, didn't I?

Kind of silly they just cropped out the middle of a trade dress and called it an "exclusive"....

It's actually a nice comic. And the corners of the spine, although not perfect, are much better than K-Myke's 1:500 variant (sorry, Brah)...and any of the regular Alex Ross covers that I've come across so far.
Post 317 IP   flag post
Quote:

Just got this today. It's the Amazing Spider-Man 800 Tyler Kirkham "Customer Appreciation" variant offered by UnknownComicBooks.

Oh wait, no it's not. It's just the "trade" version of this cover...I accidentally "zoomed in" there and got excited.

Hahahahaha...Psyche!!!! Had you going there for a moment, didn't I?

Kind of silly they just cropped out the middle of a trade dress and called it an "exclusive"....

It's actually a nice comic. And the corners of the spine, although not perfect, are much better than K-Myke's 1:500 variant (sorry, Brah)...and any of the regular Alex Ross covers that I've come across so far.
the " exclusive" one you refer to is still available at a few of the online retailers.
Post 318 IP   flag post
@Wraith thanks but I'll pass. I like the trade dress. The fan appreciation cover is one of the laziest variants I have ever seen, and I'm not encouraging the behavior of just cropping a part of a cover and trying to make cash out of it. Lacks any real creativity.
Post 319 IP   flag post
Ok. Just for the benefit of myke, this is a regular cover

Post 320 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Still the best cover for ASM #800 IMO. (Cant wait till it comes in the mail.)

one shop reported all their in-hyuk lee copies arrived damaged

Post 321 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@poka Yep. I ordered mine from Frankie's Comics, and I just got the bad news....
Post 322 IP   flag post
And the 800 parrillo variants are reported to need to be replaced as well!
Post 323 IP   flag post
Damn.. Long wait ahead. I got shipping notification for my shattered comics at least.
Post 324 IP   flag post
Quote:
Damn.. Long wait ahead. I got shipping notification for my shattered comics at least.

Yeah, my two shattered ASM 300 homage covers are on their way.
Post 325 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:

Yeah, my two shattered ASM 300 homage covers are on their way.

Still waiting to hear where the other 2000 copies are going to show up...
Post 326 IP   flag post
Lame.
Post 327 IP   flag post
Quote:
Lame.

Post 328 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user

Post 329 IP   flag post
Amazing Spider-Man #1 - Variant Cover Coming Soon.
Kinda cool cover, because the Green Goblin makes it that way.

Post 330 IP   flag post
601460 419 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?