Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

AF 15 Opinion Please6196

Collector ozonetv private msg quote post Address this user
Howdy-

I was wondering if I could get an opinion if the torn corner automatically limits this to a certain grade - and if so, what is it. Otherwise the book is complete, great color, spine is ragged and theres some color breaks up top. Hasn't been pressed or cleaned.

I've seen so many 2.5 and 3.0 that look horrible with tape or detached cover and all bleached out...I'm wondering how an otherwise nice looking copy with a specific defect is judged.

Love to hear what you guys think ..
Post 1 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Great looking book. Any AF is
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
She looks good for 55
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Is it yours or are you looking to buy?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I think 3.5 for the corner. What CBCS or CGC would say, I couldn't guess. Wouldn't be surprised if it got higher, just because it's an AF15 :popcorn:
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Is it yours or are you looking to buy?

she's mine.
(at what point did she become a "she" :-)
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
2.5. The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
What a damn shame about the corner....but no chipping which is nice. Slab & sell.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector GeeWiz private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats on your piece of history! Great book no matter what the grade
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
2.5. The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square.

Hmm...are they talking about the hypotenuse - or is it a volume measurement? Does it matter if its an isosceles or scalene? Do they measure by the shortest or the longest leg? So many geometry-based questions this opens up.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I think 3.5 for the corner. What CBCS or CGC would say, I couldn't guess. Wouldn't be surprised if it got higher, just because it's an AF15 :popcorn:

Thats what I thought originally, but now I've heard such a range - all the way down to a 1.5. I'm totally in the dark at this point. Thats why I posted....
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Quoted from the Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics.

Post 12 IP   flag post
ok - just so I understand - this would be a 2.5 or less?

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
If your book in the first post did not have the missing corner, I would rate it as a 3.5 mainly because the spine is rounding, additional creasing and it looks to be a lower spine split. With the additional defect of missing corner down to the 2.0-2.5 range as a max.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
In general small missing corners are factored into the grade depending on severity. There are examples of torn remainder covers which do not go higher than 0.5 poor from CGC.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonetv
Quote:

Hmm...are they talking about the hypotenuse - or is it a volume measurement? Does it matter if its an isosceles or scalene? Do they measure by the shortest or the longest leg? So many geometry-based questions this opens up.

I've seen an AF15 CGC 4.0 with a larger chunk missing than that. I didn't agree with it. Not sure what CBCS would do.
Usually when giving an opinion in thread's like this, I say what I think the label will get, not what I think it actually is.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:

This would probably get higher than 4.0

CGC's and CBCS's grading guidelines a largely a mystery. When I grade my books, I use Overstreet's guideline.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:

THAT book right there, having good eye appeal, a better spine and corners, but still a dust shadow, some chipping, and a "tape pull" corner that book could possibly get a 3.0-3.5 (but without seeing the back, of course.)
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Being it would have a square corner if it was there, the 1/2" would apply to a right triangle. So the piece missing is well beyond that.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'd say 2.5/3.0 nice book
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

It is not as static as Mike suggests.

I'd say this book is at a minimum, a 2.5 as is.

Plenty of benefit to be had via dry cleaning and pressing...up to a 4.0, would not be out of the question.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
I'd say 2.5/3.0 nice book

Agreed.
Post 22 IP   flag post

Post 23 IP   flag post
I have revised my guess now to a 3.0-4.0

Edit : never mind. 2.5
Post 24 IP   flag post
Heres another view (btw-its an old label cgc from 1999). I don't want to show the grade 'cause I don't want to influence you guys... just honest opinions here

Post 25 IP   flag post
Post 26 IP   flag post
Well missed the part where it's already been graded. Sorry
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Well missed the part where it's already been graded. Sorry

old cgc label- so its undergraded (I hope)...also no cleaning or pressing...
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Ditch_Fahrenheit private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Howdy-

I was wondering if I could get an opinion if the torn corner automatically limits this to a certain grade - and if so, what is it. Otherwise the book is complete, great color, spine is ragged and theres some color breaks up top. Hasn't been pressed or cleaned.

I've seen so many 2.5 and 3.0 that look horrible with tape or detached cover and all bleached out...I'm wondering how an otherwise nice looking copy with a specific defect is judged.

Love to hear what you guys think ..

Hi Ozone,

If you want grade opinions, you really need big scans like this

(Click to Embiggen)

Post 29 IP   flag post
Just messaged you...very cool to see this!
Post 30 IP   flag post
601464 52 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?