Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ebay fun - Just the facts6153

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Originally Posted by DocBrown
The requirement is lip service. The buyer can put essentially anything they want, and it will be approved.

Interesting. That has not been my experience, although it is possible things have changed. It has been about 4 years since I went through it, and someone from ebay looked at both sides of the story and made a determination based on the evidence.

And you believe anyone at eBay is qualified to make such a determination...?

Especially about something as esoteric as the grade of a comic...?

They don't. eBay doesn't hire forensic experts to sift through evidence and come to a determination. They pay drones $5/day in the Philippines to read from scripts. John Donahoe looked at the numbers when he became CEO in 2008 and realized that Amazon was destroying eBay...and the reason was because buyers didn't want to deal with people's overestimated crap anymore, and the systemic unwillingness of eBay to deal with it.

So...and remember, this was purely a numbers issue with Donahoe...they decided to model their returns after Amazon, which is essentially unlimited. There is some merit to this philosophy, but it obviously can be taken too far. There is no one actually looking at cases; it's all automated now. IF you call in, then yes, someone will manually look at the case...and then decide in the buyer's favor.

Since that change in 2008, I have never had a return denied. In fact, you could probably put "item smelled very badly of unicorn farts", and the claim wouldn't be denied unless the seller challenged it...and even then, it's iffy, because eBay doesn't care. They want those returns processed and done with. They don't want to deal with buyer complaints.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I'm genuinely disappointed.

Disappointed in what? The fact I tried to help these two gentlemen come to an agreement outside of eBay where they BOTH don't lose money?

I have no feelings for the USPS as my wife and I have bought many of things on-line just to have the mail carriers "misdelivered" the mail... When you check the tracking history it will show "delivered" but we never received the items. It was only delivered to another address within the same zip code so it shows "delivered." This is how they track the mail. Called Geo-Tracking. Sure they admitted to dropping it off to the wrong address, & asking the person to return the item, but if the person is dishonest, they cant do anything about it and the Post Office will not tell you the address of the person they misdelivered the item to. (You know, for safety concerns. - So they say.)

Here is a Google reviews of my local Post Office in York, SC. (Google them yourself to read all the reviews.) They have lost four of our packages so far this year alone. So excuse me if I choose to take out my aggression on the worthless bastards as a means to try and settle a dispute between two comic collectors on this forum.

Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:
I'm genuinely disappointed.

Disappointed in what? The fact I tried to help these two gentlemen come to an agreement outside of eBay where they BOTH don't lose money?

I have no feelings for the USPS as my wife and I have bought many of things on-line just to have the mail carriers "misdelivered" the mail... When you check the tracking history it will show "delivered" but we never received the items. It was only delivered to another address within the same zip code so it shows "delivered." This is how they track the mail. Called Geo-Tracking. Sure they admitted to dropping it off to the wrong address, & asking the person to return the item, but if the person is dishonest, they cant do anything about it and the Post Office will not tell you the address of the person they misdelivered the item to. (You know, for safety concerns. - So they say.)

Here is a Google reviews of my local Post Office in York, SC. (Google them yourself to read all the reviews.) They have lost four of our packages so far this year alone. So excuse me if I choose to take out my aggression on the worthless bastards as a means to try and settle a dispute between two comic collectors on this forum.

Doubtless, you've heard of the phrase "two wrongs don't make a right."

Your bad experiences with the USPS doesn't justify opening a fraudulent claim against them.

I am not unsympathetic to your frustration. I've had them myself. I had a postal supervisor imply that I was potentially defrauding them to my face...that "Gosh, I sure did have a problem with "losing" a lot of packages", after one of HER window clerks released a SIGNATURE CONFIRMED (meaning they have to CHECK ID) package to someone else, after the year before having a single OTHER package put in someone else's PO box.

Yes, TWO packages, BOTH lost because of USPS mishandling, and this bitch was trying to blame me.

The nerve of that bitch was astounding.

But the way to deal with it is by being above board yourself, and seek justice through the proper channels. Otherwise...you're no better than they are.
Post 103 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Much like the boy who cried wolf, anyone who files false damage claims against USPS deserves to have a legitimate claim denied in the future.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Doubtless, you've heard of the phrase "two wrongs don't make a right."

Of course I've heard that saying, but I hate the USPS and from what I read so do you from your experiences. I was just offering a solution so that BOTH the buyer & the seller could come out on top.

Also, I had to share my experience as to and why I would even consider giving the seller and buyer such advice. I'm not trying to justify or persuade people into my way of thinking or feeling. But if there was a way for both parties to come to an agreement, (not lose money on either side)then I gave that advice.
Nothing more nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Much like the boy who cried wolf, anyone who files false damage claims against USPS deserves to have a legitimate claim denied in the future.

Don't try to spin the spotlight on me when your the one in the limelight.
Post 105 IP   flag post

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

There is plenty of light for us to share.

Your participation in this thread was your decision to make.
Post 106 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

There is plenty of light for us to share.

Your participation in this thread was your decision to make.

So you wanna headbutt with me next? I'm not here to argue with anyone. I just wanted to give advice so both of you would benefit from your eBay deal. Thats all.
Post 107 IP   flag post
@GanaSoth I appreciate that you were trying to help but I would advise others not to follow your suggestion.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Quote:
@GanaSoth I appreciate that you were trying to help but I would advise others not to follow your suggestion.

Yeah I agree... I and everyone else here in my City has a personal vendetta against our local Post Office, so I was just looking at it from my view point I suppose. Guess it was bad advice. But I didn't see any other advice pouring in that would help both you guys. So I just tossed it out there.
Post 109 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
If the book was say, wrinkled in transit, a Postal Service claim would be a 100% legit course of action. I thought that was the reason for the suggestion.
Post 110 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If I were to sell books, I'd make it a policy to not spend the funds until the individual deal is COMPLETELY done, just for this possibility.

Then you would have to wait 6 months if payment done with paypal
Post 111 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus
I'm curious. Why does E-bay give sellers the option to not accept returns, if in fact, that is not E-bay's policy?

A lot of Ebay sellers, not just of comics, have a no-return policy.

Even the OP.

For the few buyers who don’t know but yeah you are right - for any sellers doesn’t make sense to have more returns.

Worse case scenario - if the wrong buyer gets buyer’s remorse - damage your book and claim not as described.

This is why most sellers offers returns even though we don’t think it is fair (for items like graded books)
Post 112 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Agreed.

I was not suggesting that a claim be filed, if the book was not actually damaged during shipping.

A box can arrive without being visibly crushed, with significant damage to the book.

If a seller just puts a book in a 10 cent bag/board combo, slaps it between a 12 inch sheet of bubbkewrsp eith crumpled up newspaper...or no packing/buffering material at all...a book can fly around inside of a priority box, getting dinged up quickly and easily.

I was not suggesting that a fraudulent claim be filed, I want to make that patently clear.
Post 113 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
eBay doesn't hire forensic experts to sift through evidence and come to a determination.

Thats a bit much lol

It doesnt take a very smart person to determine whether or not an item has a quality about it that was or was not disclosed.
Post 114 IP   flag post
Quote:

Good evidence could end this issue with reputations intact and a salvaged relationship between the two of you.

Think we are beyond that point, unfortunately
Post 115 IP   flag post
Quote:
Seller never claimed the books were a specific grade. In fact, no grade was given.

Large scans were provided, for a prospective buyer's inspection.

What else is a guy to do?

If I were the seller, I'd just take the return, refund the $, and let karma do its thing.

Wow- you managed to get both parties to like your post - maybe there is still hope 🙏
Post 116 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochism

Starting to feel like you might be the OPs second account cause you sound like a shill if ever I've met one.

Nah - that it just who he is. He has a tons of knowledge which he is willing to share but will also not stop until you agree with him

Sorry @DocBrown 🤣
Post 117 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I love it when you guys get into advice wars; makes me wish we had a popcorn emoji to go with the .
Post 118 IP   flag post
@poka

Post 119 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
If I were to sell books, I'd make it a policy to not spend the funds until the individual deal is COMPLETELY done, just for this possibility.

Well, obviously if a buyer leaves positive feedback that all was wonderful and everything was to their satisfaction, and then 5.5 weeks later wants a refund, that would be altogether different. DrChaos didn't change his mind. He was unsatisfied once be he saw the book (it seems).
So "when the deal is done" means when the buyer says, "thank you."
Post 120 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yep. I would suggest @drchaos and @Masochism let ebay decide if its not as described. They do require evidence and reason, last I went through it with someone.

No point doing that on eBay. If a buyer opens a not as described but states the specific issue then eBay does not require pictures (they used to but have changed their policy).

Instead as a seller you wait to you get the item back and if it as it was listed you can report buyer as misusing the not as described return policy. If a buyer gets reported 3 times something is supposed to happen
Post 121 IP   flag post
Quote:
What I get from this thread is this:

I can over-bid for a book. When it arrives, I can take it to a presser or appraiser and see if they agree with me...that I over-bid for the book.

When I get around to it, I can then request a refund from seller, who hasn't done anything to misrepresent his product.....and EBay will force the seller to refund me my $$.

If I ever behave like the buyer I just described, I'd have to kick my own a$$.

Just sayin...

Bingo - that is how eBay works (not to say that was what @DrChaos did though) - fortunately most transactions goes well
Post 122 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
@GanaSoth I said, "disappointed" because when I read a listing, ad, or post about something for sale online, I (like many) go with my impression of that listing and what it says. If I see anything that raises a red flag, I decide if it's worth a chance, and usually move on. So when I see a suggestion like yours given with such indifference to right and wrong, I see a red flag. That doesn't mean I think you ARE dishonest (in practice), but I ask myself what OTHER 'shady' practices is the seller comfortable with?
It just isn't worth it to me to roll dice with it.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who does the same thing has no right to complain.

But GLWTS, I'm sure you'll get many bids.
Post 123 IP   flag post
Quote:
Of course I've heard that saying, but I hate the USPS and from what I read so do you from your experiences. I was just offering a solution so that BOTH the buyer

That doesn't it make it not stealing.
Post 124 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thats a bit much lol

It doesnt take a very smart person to determine whether or not an item has a quality about it that was or was not disclosed.

Read what I wrote about eBay, especially the part about John Donahoe.
Post 125 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, obviously if a buyer leaves positive feedback that all was wonderful and everything was to their satisfaction, and then 5.5 weeks later wants a refund, that would be altogether different. DrChaos didn't change his mind. He was unsatisfied once be he saw the book (it seems).
So "when the deal is done" means when the buyer says, "thank you."

That works in theory. In practice 2 out of 3 buyers don’t leave feedback
Post 126 IP   flag post
Wow - just finished with the thread up to here, I wish I could afford to get a beer but gotta work
Post 127 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I can over-bid for a book. When it arrives, I can take it to a presser or appraiser and see if they agree with me...that I over-bid for the book.

When I get around to it, I can then request a refund from seller, who hasn't done anything to misrepresent his product.....and EBay will force the seller to refund me my $$.

Just sayin...

Bingo - that is how eBay works (not to say that was what @DrChaos did though) - fortunately most transactions goes well

That's STILL not a very fair assessment of this situation, given the evidence that has been presented.

There's nothing stated here that would give anyone the impression that drchaos overbid on the book with the intention of returning it if it wasn't "upgradeable." And we only have the seller's word...who has a vested interest in the situation...that he "hasn't done anything to misrepresent his product." Those are leaps and an assumptions.

Some of you folks aren't being very fair, here. And I say that as someone who has said the very same thing to drchaos in the past.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Quote:
No point doing that on eBay. If a buyer opens a not as described but states the specific issue then eBay does not require pictures (they used to but have changed their policy).

Instead as a seller you wait to you get the item back and if it as it was listed you can report buyer as misusing the not as described return policy. If a buyer gets reported 3 times something is supposed to happen

You guys must not deal with eBay directly very much if you believe these things.

Remember...it is ALSO eBay policy that sellers aren't supposed to be able to call in and demand to have negative feedback removed, and yet it happens all the time, completely defeating the purpose of feedback.

eBay, following its own rules and policies...? Please. They have money to make.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just sayin...

That's STILL not a very fair assessment of this situation, given the evidence that has been presented.

There's nothing stated here that would give anyone the impression that drchaos overbid on the book with the intention of returning it if it wasn't "upgradeable." And we only have the seller's word...who has a vested interest in the situation...that he "hasn't done anything to misrepresent his product." Those are leaps and an assumptions.

Some of you folks aren't being very fair, here. And I say that as someone who has said the very same thing to drchaos in the past.

The only person who isn't being fair here is you.

I agree with the OP more than I do with you. You have gone out of your way to take digs at my integrity. I may be new to selling comics on eBay, but I am not the idiot you have been speaking to me as.

The fact that he wants to return the book, although I am not happy about it, is beyond my control. I'm going to have to take this hit. But you, and your arrogant, venerable attitude and the way you talk about how eBay transactions should transpire and what you expect from sellers shows me that you are just an entitled human being and I am so happy right now that I am not associated with you or anyone who thinks like you.

The best thing to come out of this whole ordeal is knowing I don't have to ever associate with you.

OP, you'll get your refund, you're obviously going on my blocked buyer's list, but no hard feelings man. It's done.
Post 130 IP   flag post
601502 265 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.