Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Which would you pay? $20 or $20006105

COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
There is a guy on Ebay that has listed 12 separate copies of the same book, in the Golden Age comic book section. The price for each book is $2,000.00

He has them listed under the title of "Golden Age Comic", and each one has additionally a code like F9001.

The cover on the pic provided states "Showcase, Martian Manhunter". Looked like a modern book to me so I googled and found out that Amazon.com has them for sale for less than $20.00

This seller has a 5200 feedbacks with a rating of 100%.

Here is one of his listing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Golden-Age-Comic-F9004/323198638024?hash=item4b4023d7c8:g:LR0AAOSwstxVa-S1

Here is the amazon listing.
https://www.amazon.com/Showcase-Presents-Martian-Manhunter-Vol/dp/1401213685/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524107131&sr=8-1&keywords=comic+book+martian+manhunter+showcase

I am still unsure if this is a paperback book or a comic book. I contacted this seller thru Ebay and explained to him all of this, but he did not respond back to me.

Could this be ignorance, or deceit? Everything else about this seller says he is legitimate.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Wow!!! Straight up deceit!!

That's just a 50% off sale item trade - can probably get it for less than $20 at my LCS if they had it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
It’s very hard to say what exactly the deal is with that specific listing. Most other listing he has has an actual Series and Issue number with matching photo and a reasonable price.

I wonder if perhaps if it’s meant to be a placeholder as nothing in the item title or description seems specific to the image. The description actually begins with “info coming”. I’ve seen some sellers put up a listing andjust have a “photo coming soon” message.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Showcase Presents: Martian Manhunter Vol 1, July 2007
9.2 = $17.00
Cover for the Showcase Presents: Martian Manhunter Vol 1 Trade Paperback. Cover for the Showcase Presents: Martian Manhunter Vol 1 Trade Paperback
Post 4 IP   flag post
Why would someone put up a listing without pic or a title of the item? I don't get it. Wasting time and money on his part.

I doubt that is the reason. But I can't explain an otherwise legit looking seller this far off.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak I don’t know why they do it, I only know that this wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen a seller put up a listing seemingly without an item to go with it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I sent him a message too. I'll let you'all know if he responds.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Well, seems like dieinfinite was probably right. This is the message I got back.

"This was listed as a template with the intention of filling it in later, sometimes I don't get that done (BY THE WAY IT STATES IN THE AUCTION). I set the price high so that NO ONE will bid until I get complete information in the auction.. Do you really think someone is going to bid on the auction at that price?"

I'm not going to converse with this person any more. But I am VERY curious why someone would do 12 different adds with no pic or description of a legit item.

If someone here has done something like this before, please enlighten me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
It’s very hard to say what exactly the deal is with that specific listing. Most other listing he has has an actual Series and Issue number with matching photo and a reasonable price.

I wonder if perhaps if it’s meant to be a placeholder as nothing in the item title or description seems specific to the image. The description actually begins with “info coming”. I’ve seen some sellers put up a listing andjust have a “photo coming soon” message.

It is a place holder.

Or it is listed solely to increase views on other listing of his, that are priced accurately.

In any event, it is a soft cover TPB.

Cover price is probably $19.95-$39.99.

There is no way that the seller actually thinks it will sell at over cover price.

My guess is that the listing is being used as click bait for people who type in searches in Golden Age comucs, with a dollar figure minimum of a couple hundred or a thousand bucks.

Buyers would do that sort of search in order to see legit/higher value golden age books without having to weed through hundreds of listing of .99 cent throw away golden age books that are worth $10 or less in Overstreet.

Presumably, the seller wants to attract those potential buyers of big books onto his listings.It probably works, to a degree.

That makes sense to me.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Yea, a place holder that states

"The book is complete with off white pages, the cover and pages are attached to the staples."
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
it is against eBay rules to have more than one listing of same item
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

It is a place holder.

Or it is listed solely to increase views on other listing of his, that are priced accurately.

In any event, it is a soft cover TPB.

Cover price is probably $19.95-$39.99.

There is no way that the seller actually thinks it will sell at over cover price.

My guess is that the listing is being used as click bait for people who type in searches in Golden Age comucs, with a dollar figure minimum of a couple hundred or a thousand bucks.

Buyers would do that sort of search in order to see legit/higher value golden age books without having to weed through hundreds of listing of .99 cent throw away golden age books that are worth $10 or less in Overstreet.

Presumably, the seller wants to attract those potential buyers of big books onto his listings.It probably works, to a degree.

That makes sense to me.

You are probably right. That is how I came across it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Yea, a place holder that states

"The book is complete with off white pages, the cover and pages are attached to the staples."

I didn't see that...

You've got me on that one, brother.

I will go with my 2nd option; it is clickbait and/or actually intended to be a place holder, as the seller told you.

But that is not to say that I buy his "sometimes I don't get around to finishing the listing" spiel.That is nonsense.

It is click bait, plain and simple.

Hell, it got me to take a quick look at a couple of his real auctions.As well as probably everyone else who responds in this thread.

And if you're wondering if I have ever done anything like this....nope, I definitely haven't.And I think it has a slight reek of slimy desperation.

I do see why a seller who seems to run mostly auctions would think this would be a good way to increase views.

I certainly wouldn't employ tricks like this, just saying that it does make sense, from a seller's perspective...

I can't answer why he was rude to you in his response, though.Other than the fact that he might be a bit of an idiot.

I go out of my way to be inordinately polite,whenever someone sends me a message on eBay. No matter what the message happens to be.

That is just common sense, IMHO.

Seems to me that the seller should enroll in a:

CAK's Quick Crash Course;How To Interact With eBay Customers.

(Subtitle)

Customer Relations And YOU...Turn That Winning Smile & Cheerful Demeanor Into Dozens Of Eazy-Peazy $99.99 Buy It Now Sales!

Now, if you will open your CAK eBay Seller Reference Manual to the Table Of Contents, we can all get started...

A-hem ...cough cough.
: clears throat :

Chapter 1:

Up-Selling Techniques 101

Chapter 1A:

How To Avoid Being A Smarmy Cun*

Chapter 1B:

Awwe...Fuggit.

I'll fill this out later.Gotta run and pull some TPB's out to make up some 2 grand click bait listings.😉😀😁😂
Post 13 IP   flag post
601504 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?