Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I bought these two books from an eBay seller. What was listed and what I got were completely not the same thing. I opened a case asking to return the books and the seller was insinuating this and that. The back of the comics were not even listed.

Here are the pictures on the listing listed as NM with top loaders

And here are the pictures are from what I got.

And this goes as follow:

Me: Items arrived damage. Not shown in listing. Scuffing in back of both items.

Seller: I do not accept returns because I know things get damaged or people have buyers remorse. These books were exactly as described in the eBay listing when they where shipped from me. I do have insurance on these items and if you would like I will open an insurance claim but as stated I do not accept returns. Let me know what you would like to do.

Follow up message from seller: This item was exactly as described. I do not accept returns due to damages by shipping or buyers remorse. They books where shipped the best they could have been. I have insurance on all shipped books so let me know if you want me to open an insurance claim.

Me: There is no buyers remorse. The item listed as NM with no signs of damage on the listing. Please point out where in the listing the damages are clearly visible similar to the shots I have uploaded.

Seller: I understand there is damage to the books now that they have been shipped. but they had no damage when I had them. That’s why I’m thinking it may be shipping? Like I said I have insurance on everything I ship and if you would like I will open a claim on this item? I do not accept returns because then I’m out all the money and then stuck with a item that’s been damaged by shipping. Let me know I’m trying to fix this problem.

Seller: Both books were in near mint condition when I shipped them in fact would say they were both in amazing condition and never read.

Seller: Returns can only be made if they aren’t as described which they were when I shipped them so the only other option is damage from shipping which I don’t know how that happened because I packed them better then any book I ever received in the mail. Let me know and I’ll open a claim for you

Seller: Also I’m not saying you did this but how do I even know that those are the same books? Lots of people out there scamming others. For all I know you had those damaged books already and now are trying to act like those are the ones I sent. I’m not saying you did this at all just letting you know why if they were damaged in shipping I have it covered by insurance to protect me from scams and postal damages. Again not accusing you just trying to not loose on both ends on this transaction. I have insurance that’s what it’s there for

Me: How do I know you sent me the same books you listed on eBay? There are a lot of scammers on here. Not accusing you of switching out those books. But how do I know? And you showed they were in top loaders. Those weren’t in there either. You may have many of these books , again not accusing you, and listed the best copies with top loaders to entice ignorant buyers to buy them. Again, that’s what insurance from eBay is for.

Seller: I am a private collector and when I have higher dollar books I keep them in a top loader to protect them. I have never posted that they come Shipped in top loader in fact I have found top loaders will damage books in shipping. These were the books in the image the were both grade worthy when I shipped them. The eBay insurance is for when things are as not described not from shipping damage. Let me know if you would like me to open an insurance case with usps I would gladly do that for you.

Me: Thank you for clarifying the fact that you listed the books in top loaders but with no intentions of including them in the sale. As a proclaimed a private collector, you should have known better to list every single defects of delicate items such as comic books. eBay insurance is there for “item received not as describe” whether it’s damaged through shipping or negligence, does not or should not have any bearings on the buyer. As a seller, you are also protected through eBay from fraudulent buyers.

Seller: So what do I do. I’m trying to work this out with you by offering to file a claim through USPS to get your money back. I’m not getting what other options I have?

Me: Look. I just to get my money back. I want the books and its the reason why I paid for them. I don't want to buy stuff just to waste my time to send them back.

Seller: I understand that. I am trying to get your money back without loosing out on both the books and the money. I am offering to get a claim started by the usps to solve this problem. Let me know if this is what you would like me to do.

At this point, I see no point of continue with the conversation. The box was not damaged through shipping because it was packaged well. He played hard ball at first, and then trying to insult my intelligence.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text

Perhaps ebay can assist you further
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@JustThatGuy seller’ responsibility doesn’t stop when they are shipped. He is responsible for that they arrive safely.

Just the fact that they are shown in top loaders but not shipped is enough for you to win if you opened an eBay case.

Anyway - you paid for something you didn’t receive. Doubt insurance will cover if there is no issue with the box.

Really up to you how you wish to handle
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Btw. In your argument that you did not get what you received, you may want to state the seller didn't fulfill his agreement because he didn't include those holder things. Since he admitted it in your conversation, it's obvious he did not sell what he had in his picture.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I swear I didn't plagiarize poka.....
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
Situations like this are why I don’t buy raw books on eBay anymore. Hope you get everything resolved.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Returns to an eBay seller can’t be stopped. I think you are out shipping, though. No point in any more discussion
Post 7 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I've already called eBay and spoke with them directly. I truly am hate to do this to any sellers because it doesn't benefit anyone. I have sold stuff on eBay before, and I have always had clear as day shots of any imperfections shown in them. I don't want to waste anyone's time or money. I love the hobby and cheating people has never ever crossed my mind.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s the thing, if he files an insurance claim with the postal service, they want proof the shipper is out of pocket the amount they’re reimbursing.

He needs to refund your money & then take on the responsibility of perusing a claim.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector VCBE private msg quote post Address this user
You got to remember when buying raw books his NM might be different from yours and CGC or CBCS. You just take the chance when buying this way and also NM does have flaws to them...
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps a partial refund would be a decent compromise? You keep the books & get some money back? Just a thought?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
If you file a claim with USPS, they will pay insurance if damage was done in shipping. You have to keep the box and packing materials and they will inquire about them at their discretion. The seller can help you file a claim but does not need to incur a loss. If there is insurance, file a claim.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
And I'll note that I had to file a claim once or twice when slabbed books got crushed in shipping. It was a smooth process, believe it or not.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCBE
You got to remember when buying raw books his NM might be different from yours and CGC or CBCS. You just take the chance when buying this way and also NM does have flaws to them...

I completely agree with you on this because grading is subjective. There is risk when buying raw on eBay. Had the seller listed all of the flaws on the books, then both sides could have avoided the headache.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Looks to me like a press can get these to NM. The corner bends do not look like they break color. I've seen spine ticks on 9.6, even 9.8 books. It's the scuffs on the back cover I'm not sure how hard a hit you could take, but if it's a small amount you may be a 9.4.

Either way, that's an expense you incur. Maybe requesting an amount to cover the expense of a press (plus shipping) is sufficient rather than return them.

If the package does not have damage, you have no case with USPS. Plus even if you did you need to estimate the damage. It's not a total loss. Again, cost of pressing and shipment or just loss of value.

Kids, let this be a lesson to all you...don't buy high value books on eBay without see high res photos of the front, back and interior (older comics)...otherwise great asking for disappointment.

And inquire about shipment and insurance! Don't assume because a person describes a comic as near mint or assigns a number grade they know how to protect it from the rough hands of the USPS.

And above all else, stay in school!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Bronte 🤣
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@JustThatGuy seller’ responsibility doesn’t stop when they are shipped. He is responsible for that they arrive safely.

Just the fact that they are shown in top loaders but not shipped is enough for you to win if you opened an eBay case.

Anyway - you paid for something you didn’t receive. Doubt insurance will cover if there is no issue with the box.

The seller knows that USPS will not likely approve a claim for damage because the box itself was not damaged.

That is why he doesn't want you to send the books back.

I would start a "item not received as described " case and follow the protocol that eBay provides.

It looks like the seller sent you lesser copies or packed the books inside of a large box with very poor to no packaging material.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Returns to an eBay seller can’t be stopped. I think you are out shipping, though. No point in any more discussion

Not in this case.

The seller shipped the books without the pictured top loaders.

I read that as the seller will have to eat original & return shipping cost.

Which he should, for either shipping different/lesser copies or not packaging the books properly.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@JustThatGuy anyway - can see that you paid $60 a piece+ shipping - so guess it depends on whether you think a press can help and factoring in the cost and effort is worth it to you vs getting your money back
Post 19 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
You did the right thing by giving the seller a chance to make things right.

Now that he has failed to take responsibility you need to open an item not as described case with ebay.

Be sure to keep the books and packaging material until eBay tells you otherwise.

If the seller files a claim with USPS you may need to show good faith by helping him with the claim.

As long as you respond to any questions and follow eBay's instructions you should be able to get a full refund.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@JustThatGuy Based on the length of your story you seem to be a bit irked or upset about this situation. My advice, gotta learn to just let this stuff roll off you. As a buyer you are 99.99999% guaranteed to get any return request approved and all your money refunded (including shipping). So why even argue with this guy. Stop responding to him, let the return request do its magic and then send them back.

On a side note this is a new scam that sellers are doing. They intentionally send you damaged books and buy a lot of USPS insurance coverage. USPS basically approves insurance claims these days with little or no investigation. So they are actually making a bigger profit by having you complain and then filing a case on your behalf.

I've filed 3 legitimate cases this year (for the full value of the insurance) and all three were approved 2 days later got a check in the mail 5 days later.

If you decide to keep this item, you should file the USPS insurance claim ASAP. Whomever files it first gets the pay out.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

Actually poka...FOB = Free on board....and that means the buyer owns responsibility once the product they bought has left the seller's dock.

Well that is usually how it goes in the manufacturing world.

I see it as similar here.

I feel your pain....and you can continue to kick yourself over the whole play....but why?

Lesson learned...unfortunately, it cost you this time.

Look at the brighter side....you don't buy from this guy anymore, you still can leave feedback (risky), and you can now buy from the LCS.....and pick the copy you want.

FYI....AC#1000....
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
You did the right thing by giving the seller a chance to make things right.

I disagree. Look at all the wasted time and energy with all that back and forth. Yuck.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@ZosoRocks That is not how ebay sees it. Until you have the item in your hands the seller is responsible for its condition.

With that said, if the seller has a legitimate claim against the post office and you do not help it should be your loss not his.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@ZosoRocks yep but as @drchaos said that is not how eBay operates.

Anyway - not too keen in AC1000. Don’t really care whether there is a new villain or not, there are way to many variants. So that is one issue I am avoiding.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I am more interested in the blank covers for Action 1000 than the other variants.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Looks to me like a press can get these to NM. The corner bends do not look like they break color. I've seen spine ticks on 9.6, even 9.8 books. It's the scuffs on the back cover I'm not sure how hard a hit you could take, but if it's a small amount you may be a 9.4.

Either way, that's an expense you incur. Maybe requesting an amount to cover the expense of a press (plus shipping) is sufficient rather than return them.

If the package does not have damage, you have no case with USPS. Plus even if you did you need to estimate the damage. It's not a total loss. Again, cost of pressing and shipment or just loss of value.

Kids, let this be a lesson to all you...don't buy high value books on eBay without see high res photos of the front, back and interior (older comics)...otherwise great asking for disappointment.

And inquire about shipment and insurance! Don't assume because a person describes a comic as near mint or assigns a number grade they know how to protect it from the rough hands of the USPS.

And above all else, stay in school!

Not a good idea, just do the math.

Best case scenario, the books get slabbed at 9.6 with a press.

Slabbed 9.8's are worth about $160.Slabbed 9.6's, about half that much.

Call fast tracked grading and quick pressing at $40+ shipping/invoice fee.

Unless the OP can get a partial refund to the tune of $50 per book (he paid $60 + shipping per book), bringing the OP's cost down to $10 or $15 tops per book, it would not make any sense to have these books pressed and slabbed.

Good luck getting a partial refund of $100 on the pair.. .

Odds are that the seller did not insure the box at $120, it was likely sent via usps priority with the standard $50 of free insurance that priority covers.

Which is a moot point, considering that the box was not damaged.

Either the seller shipped out lesser copies, or his internal packaging was subpar enough to allow the books to fly around the box during shipping, which is very unlikely, if the scuffing on the back covers was not present in the eBay pictures.

The OP noted that the books he received have scuffing on the back cover.

Scuffing is something that happens when excess pressure is applied to books.

It is damn near impossible to have scuffing, spine ticks and corner impact dings, on 2 books that are loosely packed in a box.

The latter 2 defects would be easy enough to incur, but not with the addition of scuffing.

Those 3 defects together, in conjunction with an undamaged shipping BOX, would defy the laws of physics

I think the seller is fishing for the buyer to ask the seller for a partial refund....which eBay could possibly view as manipulation of the eBay Return Process.

If this is true, eBay would be more likely to decide in the seller's favor.

The only viable solution I see is to return the books thru eBay return process i.e. open an "item recieved not as described" case.

The books are clearly not as described/pictured.

The OP will get a full refund of original shipping , BIN/auction price and the seller (or eBay but more likely the seller) will eat the cost of the usps priority return shipping label. The OP will walk away with nothing lost, other than his time.

This is why buyers of raw books should only buy from sellers who stand behind their grading & packaging.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@JustThatGuy Based on the length of your story you seem to be a bit irked or upset about this situation. My advice, gotta learn to just let this stuff roll off you. As a buyer you are 99.99999% guaranteed to get any return request approved and all your money refunded (including shipping). So why even argue with this guy. Stop responding to him, let the return request do its magic and then send them back.

On a side note this is a new scam that sellers are doing. They intentionally send you damaged books and buy a lot of USPS insurance coverage. USPS basically approves insurance claims these days with little or no investigation. So they are actually making a bigger profit by having you complain and then filing a case on your behalf.

I've filed 3 legitimate cases this year (for the full value of the insurance) and all three were approved 2 days later got a check in the mail 5 days later.

If you decide to keep this item, you should file the USPS insurance claim ASAP. Whomever files it first gets the pay out.

This x100.

I would also report the seller to eBay, noting the blatant insurance scam the seller is fishing for, after the full refund is received.

Ebay will investigate the sellers' return history, if the buyer reports the seller.

if he has done this a couple times, he may get booted off eBay.

This would be a big win-win, less scammed on eBay, the better for the comic market as a whole.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Comics aren't made in a mint, so "NM" would not mean much to me if I was eBay or an insurance company.

I bought a comic described as high grade and it looked like a reading copy that had been sitting on a truck stop bathroom floor for a week. Water damage, stained etc. I think you got lucky. People on eBay are not professional graders and there is no stipulation that they have to go by Overstreet's standards or that of a professional grading company.

I think it needs to be chalked up to a lesson learned. This is why I rarely buy online. You can't trust that the seller graded it well. You can't trust the shipping company. It's a crap shoot. I'm sure the seller felt that he was using due diligence to describe it well and get you the comic you thought you were buying.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Comics aren't made in a mint, so "NM" would not mean much to me if I was eBay or an insurance company.

I bought a comic described as high grade and it looked like a reading copy that had been sitting on a truck stop bathroom floor for a week. Water damage, stained etc. I think you got lucky. People on eBay are not professional graders and there is no stipulation that they have to go by Overstreet's standards or that of a professional grading company.

I think it needs to be chalked up to a lesson learned. This is why I rarely buy online. You can't trust that the seller graded it well. You can't trust the shipping company. It's a crap shoot. I'm sure the seller felt that he was using due diligence to describe it well and get you the comic you thought you were buying.

Huh?

From everything I have read and seen hete, it looks like the seller shipped put 2 under copies.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601505 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?