Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Is It Ok To Buy / Own 9.6 Books601

Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

I am brand new to collecting / investing slabbed books. I grew up reading comics in the mid to late eighties on to the mid nineties. I have recently wanted to obtain some of the books I had as a kid in slab form. All I have been hearing or seeing is 9.8 this or 9.8 that. According to ebay, if you have a 9.8 you can charge whatever you want. Is there a market for 9.6 books? I have seen a few signed books at 9.6 that are more in my price range than an unsigned 9.8. If need be, is it difficult to re-sell a 9.6 graded book? Should I just suck it up and pay for a 9.8? Any thoughts would be much appreciated Thanks.

Matt
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Muggyman84 private msg quote post Address this user
The newer the book the more "taboo" a 9.8 is. Nothing wrong with owning a 9.6 for your pc but for resale i would say most of the time grab the 9.8 (with moderns for sure) silver and gold holds less high grade stigma.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector LordRahl private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing wrong with 9.6s. If you are this new to it, you probably won't know the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 until you have seen lots of examples of each. And even then, sometimes the difference isn't apparent.

Are 9.6s tougher to sell? No. They just sell for less. But then again you are buying them for less also. Will they appreciate? For copper and modern, probably not. For bronze and earlier, depends on the book.

If you are buying mainly/solely for investment, I'd say do a lot more research before you start buying any books, whether they be 9.6 or 9.8 or any other grade. If you are buying for nostalgia and you are going to hold onto them, nothing wrong with 9.6s.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
9.8 number chasers drive up prices to ridiculous levels. Which means you can usually get a great looking 9.6 for a great bargain. If your goal is keeping them for yourself they and you are happy with them it doesn't matter.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggyman84
The newer the book the more "taboo" a 9.8 is.

I'm not sure I'm getting the connection here. Do you mean brand spanking new books need to get a 9.9/10.0 or they're "taboo" to today's Modern Collectors?
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggyman84
The newer the book the more "taboo" a 9.8 is.

I'm not sure I'm getting the connection here. Do you mean brand spanking new books need to get a 9.9/10.0 or they're "taboo" to today's Modern Collectors?

I think he meant to say 9.6 is "taboo" in newer books.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user

I was bought the book before I got it (X-Men 141) signed and slabbed for $25 I wanted it slab because, well I love the cover so much I could care less for the grade, I just wanted that thing encased and on my wall. Will I sell it? Nope.

I bought the Nightcrawler out of a dollar bin. Will I sell it? Probably not. It's not a sought out book but I wanted a Nightcrawler up on my wall. So you got to ask yourself, are you keeping books for yourself or are you turning in to a flipping dolphin and re-selling them?

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
It's your collection. For investing, I can't say I even suggest moderns.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Buy and pay what you feel comfortable with starting out get your sea legs so to speak just because you go on eBay and some sellers price 9.8 moderns at astronaumical prices that doesn't mean that thats what the books worth and they do a great disservice to customers by trying to gouge the new people coming into the market with there crazy price points.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector samediarchon private msg quote post Address this user
I'm probably too new to all this to comment, but that hasn't stopped anyone on the Internet before! The only slabbed comic I own right now is a 9.2 Punisher 1 (2000) variant and I love it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
If you're not interested in flipping or investment and just want to have some books you used to have, just get what you want or can afford and have fun collecting.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
If you want to buy comics to enjoy, buy comics that aren't entombed. That way you can read them. If you plan on investing, you'll need to do a lot of research first. And I agree with @Resurrection, modern is not the way I'd go if you're hoping to reap some financial benefits in the long run.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly if it a book you want for sentimental value the grade is not important what the grade is. If it a book I own and want it signed they i will get pressed and such. I love to get some old books that are 5.0 or lower because i probably can not afford the higher grade ones and such. Finally got my hands on All Star Comics issue 58. I bought so I can read and will get a 5.5 or lower in the near futre. Its all up to you and your cup of tea.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Joshua373 private msg quote post Address this user
I personally really like signed books that are graded. That's the main reason I get a graded book or have one slabbed in the first place. I want to know and I want others to know that the signature is real. To me I would buy a signed 9.6 over a unsigned 9.8, but that's just me...signed books are my thing. Just go with what you enjoy.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
With anything pre-modern (gold, silver, bronze & even some copper age), a 9.6 is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of and in some cases such as key issues, you will find much better deals on 9.6 books compared to 9.8.

IMO pre-mod 9.6's do not get nearly the appreciation or value that they deserve especially when 9.8's of certain issues can be incredibly rare and ridiculously expensive. Would it be great to have a 9.8 of every book? Of course but at that point you are mostly just paying for the bragging rights and the ability to practically set your own price if you ever sell depending on what the issue is.

However, at least for me my sights are set on simply owning my personal Grails in the highest grade I can reasonably obtain and for me that generally means I end up with many more 9.2,9.4,9.6's than 9.8's. As others have mentioned, it really depends on what era and issues you are collecting and what your budget is. One tactic that has occasionally worked for me is to find and buy raw copies that I can tell have a shot at being ultra-high grade. It is a roll of the dice but these are usually cheaper than slabbed books and if you know what to look for you can get pretty good at spotting the 9.2,9.4,9.6+ candidates.

This is one of those topics that I have not heard discussed in depth and I am very interested to hear what other collectors think.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
If you just want to collect them so you have them then there is no shame in a 9.6, or even lower.
There are some on this board that only collect low grade copies. I think because they are cheap, and they want to read the stories contained within, and that is a great reason.
If you want to read them buy raw copies, they are cheaper.

For investment buy only silver and gold. Moderns are too common to have any long term potential.
The books in my collection that have increased in value the most were silver age, most of my stuff I bought new in the early 90's isn't even worth cover price even in 9.8 because everybody else bought that stuff too, and kept it in high grade. i.e. bagged and boarded from day one.
That's part of why I can't understand crazy prices for New Mutants 98, super ultra mega print run so no shortage of ultra high grade copies, but the Deadpool zombies eat it up.
I hate Deadpool, have from the first time I read NM 98.
I went back and bought a second copy for the Domino character because I thought she had potential.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stophmaster
If you want to buy comics to enjoy, buy comics that aren't entombed. That way you can read them. If you plan on investing, you'll need to do a lot of research first. And I agree with @Resurrection, modern is not the way I'd go if you're hoping to reap some financial benefits in the long run.

Yes, yes. The way YOU collect rocks and the way others collect sucks.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to start a storm of hailstorm of complaints but I am going to say this anyway. (The_Curmudeon... You're on the right track). I read posts like this and watch Facebook pages and I have to wander what people are collecting these days... Comics or plastic slabs with high grades. A dollar comic in a plastic slab graded a 9.9 is still a dollar comic. I've heard people say a graded comic under a 9.4 isn't worth it. How about a Fantastic Four #1 graded a 4.5? Garbage? Personally, that's the one I want. I look at the shear volume of money spent on comics with no value some people spend and think that money could have been spent on a Giant Size X-Men 1. Instead you have 25 highly graded $3 books.

Case in point: This thread discussed what grades should be purchased, but NO mention of what actual comics would be a good investment.

I guess my thought process is you can't create value on an item by slabbing it. It helps the value of a book already worth something. A 1 carat diamond is worth the same in your hand, or in a nice case.

Am I wrong? Let the storm begin, my friends.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
With anything pre-modern (gold, silver, bronze & even some copper age), a 9.6 is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of and in some cases such as key issues, you will find much better deals on 9.6 books compared to 9.8.

IMO pre-mod 9.6's do not get nearly the appreciation or value that they deserve especially when 9.8's of certain issues can be incredibly rare and ridiculously expensive. Would it be great to have a 9.8 of every book? Of course but at that point you are mostly just paying for the bragging rights and the ability to practically set your own price if you ever sell depending on what the issue is.

However, at least for me my sights are set on simply owning my personal Grails in the highest grade I can reasonably obtain and for me that generally means I end up with many more 9.2,9.4,9.6's than 9.8's. As others have mentioned, it really depends on what era and issues you are collecting and what your budget is. One tactic that has occasionally worked for me is to find and buy raw copies that I can tell have a shot at being ultra-high grade. It is a roll of the dice but these are usually cheaper than slabbed books and if you know what to look for you can get pretty good at spotting the 9.2,9.4,9.6+ candidates.

This is one of those topics that I have not heard discussed in depth and I am very interested to hear what other collectors think.

Yes, absolutely buying raw high grade copies and subbing them yourself is cheaper than buying them slabbed. Two problems with this approach.

1 - You need to know how to grade to the standards that CGC and/or CBCS grade to.

2 - For anything before Copper, it is difficult to find raw high grade copies. The older the book, the harder it will be.

Sounds like the OP is new enough to this that he will need to learn how to grade before this will be a realistic option.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPop
I'm going to start a storm of hailstorm of complaints but I am going to say this anyway. (The_Curmudeon... You're on the right track). I read posts like this and watch Facebook pages and I have to wander what people are collecting these days... Comics or plastic slabs with high grades. A dollar comic in a plastic slab graded a 9.9 is still a dollar comic. I've heard people say a graded comic under a 9.4 isn't worth it. How about a Fantastic Four #1 graded a 4.5? Garbage? Personally, that's the one I want. I look at the shear volume of money spent on comics with no value some people spend and think that money could have been spent on a Giant Size X-Men 1. Instead you have 25 highly graded $3 books.

Case in point: This thread discussed what grades should be purchased, but NO mention of what actual comics would be a good investment.

I guess my thought process is you can't create value on an item by slabbing it. It helps the value of a book already worth something. A 1 carat diamond is worth the same in your hand, or in a nice case.

Am I wrong? Let the storm begin, my friends.

Again, yes we know, what you collect rocks and what others collect sucks.

How about you let people collect what they like? If they like dollar comics in 9.9 slabs, who are you to say that is wrong? Or that they should collect low grade FF 1's instead. Maybe they don't like FF1. Maybe they have no connection to that book. Maybe they don't like low grade books. Whatever.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
Hi,

I am brand new to collecting / investing slabbed books. I grew up reading comics in the mid to late eighties on to the mid nineties. I have recently wanted to obtain some of the books I had as a kid in slab form. All I have been hearing or seeing is 9.8 this or 9.8 that. According to ebay, if you have a 9.8 you can charge whatever you want. Is there a market for 9.6 books? I have seen a few signed books at 9.6 that are more in my price range than an unsigned 9.8. If need be, is it difficult to re-sell a 9.6 graded book? Should I just suck it up and pay for a 9.8? Any thoughts would be much appreciated Thanks.

Matt

Despite what the news has said comic books are NOT a good investment at this time. You are around the height of the bubble, and prices will come crashing down. Two years ago would have been a good time if you were investing, but with the movie hype for books that were recently dollar bin fodder (and will be again in about two years due to how common they are) hitting ludacris prices, the chances of getting a return gets slimmer every day.

So at this point buy what you want at a price you are willing to pay for your personal collection, but it is NOT the time to invest.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRahl

How about you let people collect what they like? If they like dollar comics in 9.9 slabs, who are you to say that is wrong? Or that they should collect low grade FF 1's instead. Maybe they don't like FF1. Maybe they have no connection to that book. Maybe they don't like low grade books. Whatever.

No need to troll people because they don't agree with your opinion.
He didn't say the way you collect sucks, you read that into his post because you think everyone who doesn't agree with you is out to get you.

Different people collect differently. That's great for the hobby and I encourage it.
No need to be a dick!
Post 22 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
Collect whatever you want, but the question was asked about investing. Try and keep up.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector samediarchon private msg quote post Address this user
To answer the initial question, I believe it is worth it to collect 9.6 copies. It will depend on the comic, obviously. Some of the more recent stuff won't be as collectible at 9.6 as a 9.8, but there is a market for it. You can search completed items on eBay and see that the market exists.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Curmudgeon
Quote:

No need to troll people because they don't agree with your opinion.
He didn't say the way you collect sucks, you read that into his post because you think everyone who doesn't agree with you is out to get you.

Different people collect differently. That's great for the hobby and I encourage it.
No need to be a dick!

No one is trolling. It certainly sounds like he is saying collecting "plastic slabs" versus comics sucks. I don't think anyone has ever outright said "what you collect sucks", it's more of a between the lines kind of thing.

And what opinion would that be precisely that he's disagreeing with? My opinion is people should collect whatever the hell they want. I don't collect 9.9 plastic slabs so if you are ascribing that to me, don't. But I think if people like dollar books in 9.9 slabs than who am I to tell them they are wrong just because I have no interest in paying that premium?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPop
Collect whatever you want, but the question was asked about investing. Try and keep up.

Yeah ok sure, I'll get right on that.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
investing in books from the 80s to 90s slab 9.8 is the key grade you want. For investment thats the grade. For keys like spidey 300 New mutants 98 the 9.8 grade price is astronomical. So 9.6, 9.4 or 9.2. Which grade depends on your budget.
Having samples of the grades already in a slab from 9.2 to 9.8 may give you a better idea how to grade raw books. Which can be a gamble as to how much you paid and what the book will grade at. But maybe a cheaper way for you to collect when you are experienced at grading.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Let me repeat this... I'll talk slow and use small words... This thread is about investing, not collecting.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
At the end of the day collect what you want and what you are prepared to pay.Investing in modern books can always be a risk as when you sell you may not get a profit. It depends if you solely collecting for investment or the enjoyment of ownership. Every collector is different
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
I don't think anyone has ever outright said "what you collect sucks", it's more of a between the lines kind of thing.

If this is your belief then stop insinuating that people are meaning that in their comments.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601455 60 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?