Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

Please grade this TEC 359 (time sensitive)5933

Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Ok, I'm about to throw down $999 for it. Wish me luck...

I'm praying to the no restoration, no trimming gods, but worst case scenario Paypal has my back.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Is that rust on the bottom staple?

Looks like partial rust on top staple with heavy rust on bottom staple.

Gotta check on my desktop to say much else....but rusted staples get hit hard by graders.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector helsabot private msg quote post Address this user
To my eyes whoever scanned this might have played with color balance. Just my two cents.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Yeah, on my desktop now....

Staple rust (heavy) bottom staple.

Lighter amount of staple rust on top staple.

It *appears*to be dry cleaned & pressd already.

If not, thee is little/to no room for a grade bump from pressing.

6.5 to 8.0 is my estimate, based on what I can see in the FC/BC scans, magnified on a desktop computer.

Pics of the interior 1st page and interior cover.

Same for BC/last page.

And a dead on unangled pic shot from a foot away, is really what you need to pin down grades with reliable accuracy.

This would be for the FC and BC.

And a pic of the c-fold, to see staple alignment and rust migration.

If you will be happy with a 6.0, go for it.

Scans invariably have visual distortions along the outer edges of books.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by helsabot
To my eyes whoever scanned this might have played with color balance. Just my two cents.

Bingo.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman
8.5...what is PQ?

Yeah, it looks like an 8.0/8.5.

But not with rusted staples and possible other issues, with filtered scans supplied.

eBay lets sellers adjust color,brightness and everything else, in scans and in uploaded pictures.

Sellers can also adjust those settings with cell phone and scanning apps, without leaving any trace of actually altering an image on ebay's end.
Post 31 IP   flag post
My final take is anywhere from an 6.0 to an 8.0/8.5.

Safe money is on 6.0/6.5.

Too hard to tell with the scans.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry for the delayed response... was watching Ready Player One... great movie by the way!

Emailed the seller before I purchased to ask about the staples. He said no rust. I'll post raw pictures once this book gets in on Tuesday.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Ok, I'm about to throw down $999 for it. Wish me luck...

I'm praying to the no restoration, no trimming gods, but worst case scenario Paypal has my back.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

I looked on ebay and didn't see this copy, both under sold and unsold. Just assumed you snagged it off ebay because of the coupon you posted.

Good luck with it...I'd look it over with a blacklight before subbing it for grading. I'm sure you know that, just sayin'...looks a bit too good to be true.

But yeah, Paypal has your back if there's any resto or trimming detected by CGC or CBCS, depending on how the book was described, though....to a certain degree.

I'm just guessing...congrads, though
Post 34 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I'm gonna post a guess, just so I'll get the notice when the actual grade comes back.

The front cover looks great. Nice colors, only very, very tiny color breaks. I'm gonna assume the staples aren't rusted but just discolored and the scan makes them look worse than they are. I'm also guessing the scan is bleaching out some tanning on the cover, especially on the back around the edges. I think the one thing we can't tell is how tight the binding is, so that's the X factor.

Assuming it's pretty tight this could go a 9.0 or 9.2, but probably no higher, due to the PQ, c.b. spine ticks, and slightly blunted corners. Not sure how glossy the cover is either. I'm gonna guess it is an 8.0 as my final answer, but 8.5 is my second choice.

This is a nice copy. Good find!
Post 35 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Virtually Impossible to tell with the doctored Scans, Which leads me to believe there are likely some hidden flaws.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Got the book in hand today and just took some pictures with my phone. I raise my estimate to 8.5 O/W. I'll keep you posted when it comes back from grading.

Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector MarcJ private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, that looks nice!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
I would never pay out a grand on ebay for something that I haven't examined closely but that's probably because I could never afford to.

But it looks like your gamble paid off in this instance @Darkga . That's a very nice comic. Congrats.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
I hope it does not come back as trimmed...(second to last pik worries me) if a blue label, you scored big time.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Imagine the seller's success if he learned how to use a scanner. This looks much better than the scans suggested, I think. Good for you
Post 41 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Just wow. What a great copy of a tough in high grade book to find.

I hope this works out for you as it appears it is going to.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Harold, that’s the best looking copy of that issue that I have ever seen.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Thanks guys! You win some and you lose some, but this MAY be a win. I'm trying not to get too excited before a blue slab returns safely in my arms.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Maybe I missed it but was this an eBay sale or a private deal?
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
I don't see any signs of trimming, but to really see you have to see if the cover and pages look like they are all exactly (and I mean exactly) the same length. You can see the top and side are not trimmed because you can see the pages sticking out just ever so slightly from under the cover - the way it should be (or the cover over hanging the pages a slight amount).

Nice book, that looks like a real score!
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
SWEET CHRISTMAS! That’s a sharp looking book!
Post 47 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
I would never pay out a grand on ebay for something that I haven't examined closely but that's probably because I could never afford to.

But it looks like your gamble paid off in this instance @Darkga . That's a very nice comic. Congrats.

I did once, last year, and was sweating buckets the whole time until it was graded. (It ended up being worth very little more than I paid for it, so I broke even when I sold it.)
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
I don't see any signs of trimming, but to really see you have to see if the cover and pages look like they are all exactly (and I mean exactly) the same length. You can see the top and side are not trimmed because you can see the pages sticking out just ever so slightly from under the cover - the way it should be (or the cover over hanging the pages a slight amount).

Nice book, that looks like a real score!

It's pretty much impossible to tell if a book has been trimmed without having the book in hand & laid out on a flat surface in front of you.

Roy Delic of Vintagecomics , laid out the best advice to detect trimming I have ever seen in a thread over on the CGC Forums, a while back.

It is worth searching for.

Besides the possibility of trimming, the cover may have been reglossed.

IMHO, the book appears to have been pressed.

The glossiness of the front cover of the front cover looks questionable, ....but again, hard to tell without having a book in hand, to view.

If I were the OP, I'd send it into CBCS or CGC and pay for a restoration detection fee, before the book is graded.

Joey at CFPComics.com could also offer that, he knows what to look for.
Post 49 IP   flag post
I also did not see this book under any eBay searches....If purchased thru a Facebook group, that spells trouble IMO.
Post 50 IP   flag post
@Darkga

Did you put this book under a black light yet?

That would reveal color touch, that did not bleed thru the cover.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Maybe I missed it but was this an eBay sale or a private deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
I also did not see this book under any eBay searches....If purchased thru a Facebook group, that spells trouble IMO.

Although I bought this on the day of the eBay coupon, I did not buy it on eBay. It's from an older gentleman (not Facebook either) who just so happened to use a scanner. If this book checks out, I am going to be making a lot more purchases from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Did you put this book under a black light yet?

That would reveal color touch, that did not bleed thru the cover.

I recently moved and could not find my blacklight, but I did not notice any color bleed through and cover looks nice and original to the naked eye.
Post 52 IP   flag post
So I don't have any kind of patience, and decided that since I got such a good deal on the book I would splurge on same day grading. Monday evening I overnighted the book to CGC, they got it this morning (Tuesday), and they graded and shipped it this same afternoon. That means I am now exactly $1,209 and 4 days into this comic ($999 + $51 FedEx + $159 grading and return shipping).

Now you may be wondering why I sent it to CGC instead of CBCS... While I slab most of the books I KEEP in my collection here at CBCS, I have learned the hard way that there are closed-minded collectors who will only buy CGC slabs. Since I planned on flipping this book, and I wanted the maximum number of potential buyers, I had to go with them.

HOWEVER, as a challenge to my fellow CBCS forum members, I will pay for CBCS to crack and regrade this book if one of you buys it (CBCS forum members only). Who wants to roll the dice?

So without further ado the grade is...

Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Crowd sourcing works again!

Congrats on the nice book and great grade. Now I have to go check out GPA and see what your profit will be . . .

Nice! Double your money, double your fun!!!
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
8.5...what is PQ?

Nailed it!
Post 55 IP   flag post
601434 60 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?