Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Fantastic Four 48 1st Galactus/Silver Surfer5268

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I've always thought that Fantastic Four 48 had huge potential for value growth. This book always felt undervalued to me. It's a huge key book that is relatively affordable in decent grades. It's appeared this way for many years. If you're in agreement with the above statement, do you believe, now that Marvel/Disney owns Fantastic Four, this will increase FF 48's value?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say it has more potential, yes.

Lower grade copies have stayed relatively stagnant for a long time. A 4.0 can still be had for just a little over what I paid for one about three years ago.

That said, Higher grade copies have really shot up in the last six months.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I try to get the keys as soon as I can. I'm happy with mine. I'm not going to seek out more. I think it most assuredly will continue to escalate in price.

I see little or no discussion on Silver Surfer's own series.

I REALLY think this is undervalued...

Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC The Rise of the Silver Surfer managed to turn a guy with a space Surfboard and the power cosmic into the most boring character in the history of comic book movies. It is going to take a lot of mojo to undo that damage. I am not even going to start on the cloud that was supposed to be Galactus in that flick.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Hopefully Silver Surfer Makes an appearance in Infinity War (was in the books).
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos @KingNampa

I believe if and when Galactus and Silver Surfer make their MCU debut, Galactus will not be a cloud and SS will not be boring. Marvel will knock it out of the park.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@drchaos @KingNampa

I believe if and when Galactus and Silver Surfer make their MCU debut, Galactus will not be a cloud and SS will not be boring. Marvel will knock it out of the park.

Well if they don't think those 2 characters are interesting enough, how about Galactus' daughter! They could make a hipster movie with her.

Post 7 IP   flag post
omg!is thst real? lol!!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I don't want to know what's dripping out of her mouth...
Post 9 IP   flag post
@GAC Ya she's a real character. You didnt' read the one-shot? It was pretty good. She got teenage pregnant or whatever too. Slut.

Bio on Wikipedia
Post 10 IP   flag post
lol!!!!! wow!! that's hilarious!!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
FF 48 is a big book. But it should be a HUGE book. First appearance of major characters in the Marvel universe. A Marvel from the 60's. A couple of really good characters, who partook in major storylines.

One of the things that keeps it at just big, is that there seems to be a lot of them around. I mean a WHOLE lot.

Must have been a warehouse find.

I find it akin to the Iron-Man/Sub-Mariner one shot. Should be bigger than it is.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak
There was a warehouse find. That is why there are so many 9.4 and better copies of this book. CGC's census for the book is
9.4 - 112
9.6 - 85
9.8 - 35

Compare that to a similar FF Key - #45
9.4 - 20
9.6 - 3
9.8 - 6

Or #50
9.4 - 18
9.6 - 6
9.8 - 3
Post 13 IP   flag post
35 9.8's Wow

Gocollect doesn't even have a price for a 9.8 Their highest sold price (seven sales recorded) is for a 9.6 and is just over 7K

I'm guessing a 9.8 is a 10K book. Maybe more if it presents really nice.

Guess I won't be upgrading my 7.5 any time soon.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak @IronMan

really interesting!

9.4 - 112
9.6 - 85
9.8 - 35

I have difficulty with perspective on quantities like that. Those #s, to me appear very small in comparison to how big the hobby is. Single day conventions pack in thousands, maybe 10s of thousands of people. Assuming a healthy portion of those people actually collect, those quantities appear small to me...almost rare.

I've got 3 but they're mid grade, nowhere near those grades.

Post 15 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC - Look at DC's from the 1960's and you will see even smaller numbers. For example, Spectre #1 from 1967. There are 17 in 9.2, 20 in 9.4, 1 in 9.6, and ZERO in 9.8.

Post 16 IP   flag post
I think the vast majority of collectors do not spend hundreds on single comic books. Let alone thousands.

They are buying one to three dollar books, if they even buy books. Many are just about the event atmosphere.

A close friend of mine (24 year old police officer) does cosplay at every convention he can. But he never spends money on comic books. Only on costume stuff. He does read comics, but only when he gets them for free from his father who reads them also. His cosplay friends are the same way.
Post 17 IP   flag post
it would be interesting to have a collector's census.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@esaravo that's pretty incredible. such small #s. I wonder if that's indicative of the actual quantity of that book.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo I have two of the 9.4s. one is up on Comic Connect.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos - You would! LOL
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'd love to see the GPA on this book! I bet it's exploded.

Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I'd love to see the GPA on this book! I bet it's exploded.

I almost bought a raw 7.0 at the last Con I attended, but it would have cleaned me out & I was still shopping for a nice TOS 52.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Would you believe that a 9.8 sold on Ebay last month for over $51,700.00

9.8 $51,700.00 1 --
9.4 $10,206.50 2 26.9%
9.2 $4,055.92 3 29.8%
9.0 $2,933.33 3 12.5%
8.5 $1,897.37 34 0.9%
8.0 $1,309.21 24 8.9%
Post 24 IP   flag post
I was just gonna share that.

Here's the GoCollect 6 month average down to 4.0.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I think the vast majority of collectors do not spend hundreds on single comic books. Let alone thousands.

They are buying one to three dollar books, if they even buy books. Many are just about the event atmosphere.

A close friend of mine (24 year old police officer) does cosplay at every convention he can. But he never spends money on comic books. Only on costume stuff. He does read comics, but only when he gets them for free from his father who reads them also. His cosplay friends are the same way.

Some cosplayers do indeed collect comics. See picture below of a couple shopping my booth.

I don't like setting up at shows as a dealer and only do the ones here in my hometown. But the assessment about spending is accurate based on my experience. The great majority of my sales are out of the $1, $2 and $3 boxes.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@IronMan This is disconcerting, but true. There's a major dealer in my area who has attended local Cons only to bring lesser books. When I asked about his Silver Age keys, he said he didn't think anyone would be looking for them at the show.

I go to maybe two conventions a year and save up for an average of six months so I can pick up one or two major keys and maybe a statue or something.

It bums me out when the picking is slim at a Con.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
$20 seems to be the price point at cons. The dollar bins get high traffic and sales. Personally, I rarely buy higher end stuff at cons as it makes me nervous carrying around something of that value.
At a con a few years ago, friend bought a few books with total value of about $2,000. He thought it would be safer to put them in his car instead of carrying them around all day. At the end of the day when he went to leave, he found his car had been broken in to and the books were gone.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
$20 seems to be the price point at cons. The dollar bins get high traffic and sales. Personally, I rarely buy higher end stuff at cons as it makes me nervous carrying around something of that value.
A friend bought a few books with total value of about $2,000. He thought it would be safer to put them in his car instead of carrying them around all day. At the end of the day when he went to leave he found his car had been broken in to and the books were gone.

comic book hoodlums!!!

seriously though..that sucks!!

I don't buy key books at cons because I always feel that I'd be paying a premium. I'd rather buy from my LCS or from online.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
At a con a few years ago, friend bought a few books with total value of about $2,000. He thought it would be safer to put them in his car instead of carrying them around all day. At the end of the day when he went to leave, he found his car had been broken in to and the books were gone.

This is horrible.

Expensive books I carry with me, or, if it were $1000 single book, I'd ask the seller to hang onto it for me & id pick it up before I left the show.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601479 41 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?