Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know if any comics exist with Steve Ditko's sig on it? Either CGC witnessed or CBCS VSP'd or raw.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
In my 35 years of collecting, I've seen one instance of an individual who claimed to have gotten Ditko back at a mid-70's convention in NY. I begged him for the comic but he refused to give it up for almost any price which leads me to believe it was real. The more he refused to sell; the more I wanted.

One comic; 35 years.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
There are books out there. I have seen a few in person.

Ditko did at least two conventions in the 70s.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Correct me if I'm wrong but I would say a Ditko sig is the most rare sig of any notable comic creator/contributor. I'd say moreso than Siegel and Shuster or Kane and Finger.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
I have read that he refuses to sign comics, but if you write him a letter he will usually write back.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector MedicAR private msg quote post Address this user
I have a book with a Steve Ditko signature. I bought it already signed and verified it (myself, no professionals) using letters I received from him.

Mr. Ditko only attended a single convention in 1964 in New York.

He's not a recluse, he prefers to let his work speak for itself. In his words, "When I do a job, it’s not my personality that I’m offering the readers, but my art work. It’s not what I’m like that counts [but] what I did and how well it was done. I produce a product, a comic art story. Steve Ditko is the brand name."
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicAR
I have a book with a Steve Ditko signature. I bought it already signed and verified it (myself, no professionals) using letters I received from him.

Mr. Ditko only attended a single convention in 1964 in New York.

He's not a recluse, he prefers to let his work speak for itself. In his words, "When I do a job, it’s not my personality that I’m offering the readers, but my art work. It’s not what I’m like that counts [but] what I did and how well it was done. I produce a product, a comic art story. Steve Ditko is the brand name."

that is amazing!!! I would love to see a picture of that.
Post 7 IP   flag post
There is a debate or difference of opinion on whether a signature enhances or detracts from a book. my personal opinion is it detracts from the book with the exception of Ditko for the simple reason of rarity. I'd give my right arm for a Ditko sig.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have his address? I'll write him a letter.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Does anyone have his address? I'll write him a letter.

Try:

Steve Ditko
Steve Ditko Artist
200 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019-6833
USA

Source:
http://www.fanmail.biz/56689.html
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
You would be hard pressed to find any Marvel comic signed by him on the market. I am willing to bet there are probably only a few dozen out there in private collections from folks who met him at the early conventions. Otherwise there are a handful of Mr. A comics/zines out there that have legit signatures. I know someone who has a legit signature on a Mr. A book.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Sorry for the delay. I've had my hands full here.

This isn't the book I was thinking of. In fact, it's not a book at all. It's a cover proof, which for the uninitiated is the same as the cover that went on the book, inside and out. The difference is that it is untrimmed (the image area is the same but there's more space in the margins) and while it has been folded, it was never stapled to anything.

There are precious few Marvel books out there and all that I have seen are signed inside the book in the margins of the first page of his story. I think I have a Strange Tales signed by him somewhere in my boxes. I know that when I found it as a young collector, I was really bummed. My thought was that some idiot wrote "DITKO" in block letters at the bottom of the Doctor Strange(?) story. Many years later, I saw a similar book with a similar "signature" which the owner was claiming was signed at the 1964 show. I need to try and find it again or at least verify that I don't have it. I'm thinking it was Strange Tales because it fits the time frame, it had stories that I know he did, and it would have come out of my LCS when I was buying those books for 50¢ or less. I could buy one new book or two old ones for the same money, so it was a no brainer!
Post 12 IP   flag post
I forgot to add that there is something of a limited edition out there with his signature as well. The Ditko Package from 1989 has at least a few signed copies floating around. I have seen it referred to a "limited" despite the fact that there is no limitation noted and nothing indicating that it is signed. I have never seen one in person but I do keep hoping! I linked the eBay auction in hopes that someone can make out the letter. I have no relationship with the seller, I only used the auction to demonstrate the book.

I guess I should also explain myself. I'm a long time Steve Ditko fan and collector and have tried to track down every scrap of information on him and every book available. I do not speak for Mr. Ditko in any way, although I have explained some of his views (as I understand them) from time to time when he is attacked or misconstrued in various forums. I admire his work, his philosophy, and his strict adherence to his own moral and ethical code.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
A Ditko signature would be a great find on a comic. Now I am going to have to check all my comics for one.

Do you like Ditko’s Charlton work?

Post 14 IP   flag post
I love his Charlton work. Prior to his Kickstarter books, they are about as unfiltered as you can get. The hero books are okay, but I like the horror books more. They don't feel as heavy handed as the hero stuff.

It's probably just me but does the large face on that cover you posted look like Neal Adams?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I used to be of the opinion that Steve Ditko only attended one comic book convention in 1964 in NYC where he signed comic books. I spoke to Steve Borock a few weeks back and this came up. He said that there were a couple of other conventions Ditko attended and signed books.

Ditko has for a very, very long time refused to sign comic books. Ditko isn't interested in the past and as follower of Ayn Rand's Objectivism philosophy, he see's no reason why he should do anything he doesn't want to do. As justabitevil notes, Ditko is known to respond to letters. Which he signs. Ask him a question about his current work or Objectivism.

Any comic book with Ditko's signature is almost certainly forged. He won't sign comics. Not for a charity, not for a friend, not for the kid with cancer or any other story you are told about the comic you found for sale. I wouldn't even fully trust VSP on Ditko's signature.
Post 16 IP   flag post
does cgc census capture the data when names are written in the book?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

The CGC census only shows how many signed books of a particular issue (if any) It does not list who signed

And CGC ONLY authenticates signatures that a CGC employee or authorized facilitator witnessed. If a book has a unwitnessed signature on the inside, it gets a blue label. None of that information would be in the CGC census
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

If it is witnessed, it will be noted on the label as signed "on first page" or whatever and get the yellow label. If unwitnessed, the label will likely read "name written on first page in ink" but they generally don't add any more details such was what that name may be. I do have an example of where they added the actual name though. I am confident that it was signed by Wally Wood based on other signatures and I've seen a couple of these books signed on the back cover floating around out there.

Post 19 IP   flag post
601512 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?