Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Don't know why.

Maybe it is because I am sick with bronchitis at the moment. Or maybe it is comic book overload.

But I used to see or hear about a new character, storyline, awesome cover, or "the next hot artist" depiction. And I would get numerous copies from whatever source I needed to get them from. I had to have some.

But now. I am "meh" and think, "oh well, another just as exciting will come along later". And I don't pull the trigger.

Which isn't like me.

My best "guess" what the problem with my lack of interest is, is this: There is just too much that looks like "must haves".
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I would suggest doing what I did: focus on a few characters and themes and buy more Silver and Golden age.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
I agree, I feel like there are too many 'must haves'.

I actually try to be about 6 months behind, that way I don't get burnt out by all the hype?

If it wasn't for the comic hype, I wonder if the fatigue of trying to collect everything would wane.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak I agree.There is just so much coming out and either I cannot afford it all or cannot get to the store fast enough. Like this Batman 38 that just came out. I have a pull list so that at least I know I will get one.I never get that "antsy must" have feeling when I buy my Siver and Bronze age books. It is just all good and I love it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
For moderns, I typically stick to trades, but even then, there's a lot of stuff to pick from. It's easy to reach overload.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Hence why buying moderns for me? ended in 2005🤔
Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak - Walt, based on the title you chose (Losing Interest) and your age, there might be a little blue pill in your future that could help.

Just kidding!

But seriously, just buy and collect what you really like. It doesn't have to be new, just new to you.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
There is a Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".

I have way too much inventory and really need to spend more time selling books and get away from buying as many. With that said I found myself at the comic store last Wednesday buying some of the latest first appearances, etc.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I just left 2 comic book stores. I saw nothing that interested me.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I lost interest a while ago...like may have said here "buy what you really like'.

Personally I don't mind missing out on the 'hot' new character etc. etc. if they really have staying power I might pay a few bucks more 6 months to a year later (again still if it is only something I'm interested in) or just let it slide and save myself trying to buy every variant/new character appearance/new relaunch issue #1 whatever.... of characters and issues I don't actually like/follow anymore.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user

Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
I would suggest doing what I did: focus on a few characters and themes and buy more Silver and Golden age.

This is what I had to tell myself when I started collecting again. Buying random stuff on spec alone always leads to disappointment for me and a short box of dreck. With that said, I still find myself doing it. One day I’ll follow my own advice.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
New books hold very little interest for me lately. I picked up the Phoenix: Resurrection and was just kind of `meh` about it. X-Men: Grand Design was very good though, but I like Piskor's stuff generally. I haven't even been making an effort to pick up The Walking Dead, even though it's been pretty good lately. I'm wondering if it's because there's no 'thrill of the hunt' with new stuff.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Batman titles, Metal, Doomsday Clock and related cross overs are about it for me...and there are enough of those to drain my wallet.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I recently got back into collecting, and I started with what I like: Spider-Man, Venom, Aliens, and filling out all the series I liked when I was younger, but couldn't find/afford the complete set (Crow, Alien Vs. Predator, etc.). I thought about going nuts and subscribing to everything under the sun, but I find I just don't care that much about every character.

Batman? Too many reboots since the last time I paid attention (Knightfall), and (still) too many titles for a single character. Superman? Boring. X-Men? Too many titles. A dozen Spider-Offshoots (-Woman, -Gwen, -Miles, -Renew Your Vows, -Men, -Scarlet Spider, Silk, Venom, Carnage, ad-infinitum). Spawn isn't Al Simmons? Not my Spawn, no longer care.

In new, I find myself drawn to comics I would never have looked at as a kid: Babyteeth, Guncats, Robyn Hood, Darth Vader.

So yeah, I find myself buying older comics (not necessarily golden/silver) & grabbing whatever Dark Horse I can get my hands on before Disney/Marvel yanks the Fox-based licenses out from under them.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Tony private msg quote post Address this user
So is that like every Dark Horse stuff, or just certain titles ????
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I had somewhat the same issue - burnout with hot variants and the hot cover.

What makes me go now? High grade, raw, 1st appearances of TV shows and Cartoon characters I grew up with. There is certainly an exciting hunt and it remains exciting 14 months later. Very few are looking for these and one can get great BIN deals and/or auctions because not many are looking for them. Any great BIN deal for superheroes high grade is immediately purchased within minutes of listing. Not so with these.

Last year pickups include (all very high grade): Monkees #1, Bewitched #1, Brady Bunch #1, I Dream of Jeannie #1, Happy Days #1, Harlem Globetrotters (cartoon) #1, My Favorite Martian #1, I Love Lucy #1 (Four Color comics), Mister Ed #1 (Four Color), Welcome Back Kotter #1. These were shows I loved while growing up.

It was so much fun waiting for high grade copies to show up. And it happened perhaps a handful of times during the course of the year+. I wait every morning and every evening to see if any pop up. And talk about affordable? Ridiculously affordable compared to almost all of Superheroes and Horror and Barks stuff. The hunt was on for me again and I was no longer fighting/competing against hundreds of other speculators. I chuckle when I hear an individual talk about a "ghost" for a variant. If one wants to talk ghosts, find a raw, Near Mint copy of Brady Bunch #1.

My point in all this is to try a different comic niche than you're used to if getting burned out. It's what I did and all of a sudden the hobby was revitalized for me.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I was getting burned out for a while. Seems like it was a combination of any or all of, rising prices, diminishing supply, too many titles to collect. . .
About two years ago, my little guy started getting into collecting and now, I'm having a great time. I'm collecting less of what I used to, I'm getting rid of a lot of books I don't care about anymore (or never cared about). We collect together and have a lot of fun.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
New books hold very little interest for me lately. I picked up the Phoenix: Resurrection and was just kind of `meh` about it. X-Men: Grand Design was very good though, but I like Piskor's stuff generally. I haven't even been making an effort to pick up The Walking Dead, even though it's been pretty good lately. I'm wondering if it's because there's no 'thrill of the hunt' with new stuff.

The thing is though... new books are what got me back into collecting again.

The art has come so far, even from when I was a kid collecting 30 years ago.

My trick is with modern books is to find that perfect blend of art and writing.

Lately I feel as though that has shifted to DC books. A few years ago, Marvel... Image really came up in 2012... before that, DC, then before that, Marvel.

The quality of content just has a paradigm shift that I feel many readers/collectors miss out on with modern books, if they tend to stick with just 1 publisher
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I happen to have a run of Irredeemable in my $1 box so I recently pulled it out and binge read the series, after hearing what the basic story line was. Still a ton of stories to tell in the comic book world, but in my opinion, story lines that have an end are the best ones. I’m keeping that run now. Sorry Superman! For me, I collect randomly, and sporadically, which seems to work.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Gd4901 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
I would suggest doing what I did: focus on a few charactergs and themes and buy more Silver and Golden age.

Agree- everyone stabbing moderns is so puzzling me. You have GA with 50-100 copies of a classic cover- buy that instead of multiple covers of the same modern issue. And just enjoy the stories. My 2 cents
Post 22 IP   flag post
The people not interested in modern variants have moved on to something else or left the hobby. It seems like a lot of people are interested in it because those are the collectors that are left. They keep making variants more rare to stimulate sales, but the sales don't drastically increase.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
My problem is I buy too many of the darn things and I already have far too many to start with. Sorting is becoming a nightmare!!!🤤
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
The people not interested in modern variants have moved on to something else or left the hobby. It seems like a lot of people are interested in it because those are the collectors that are left. They keep making variants more rare to stimulate sales, but the sales don't drastically increase.

Yes. Agreed.

It's less people buying more copies and variants.

I also believe many comic buyers now don't activity read comics.

I see the fun in speculative comic purchasing, but from a financial sense, I don't see there being money in it for most.

How many people are in the hobby due to just simple nostalgia?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II

Me! I like the art form, but the stories are not a source of entertainment for me anymore. The quality of the published content doesn't meet my expectations anymore.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Me! I like the art form, but the stories are not a source of entertainment for me anymore. The quality of the published content doesn't meet my expectations anymore.

Hm...

Which books could you say really hit those love notes for when they were solid entertainment?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Hm...

Which books could you say really hit those love notes for when they were solid entertainment?

Jim Shooter Valiant
"Days of Future Past" (X-Men)
Pretty much any EC
Most 70's Marvel
60's Marvel was fun.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'll add that there has to be respect for the characters. The concept that anyone can put on a hero's costume and be that hero negates his/her significance.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I like the Dark Nights stuff. The overpriced Virgin covers, etc, meh.

But the story is pretty interesting. You can get the Original Covers cheap.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601468 81 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?