Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Where do you buy your books-multiple places4709

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics

Eventually, I'll open my own store. It's costing me a small fortune every year to keep my website name and another small fortune for copyright protections for my logo and name.

Maybe even more expensive if you do decide to open. But if you do go ahead - all the best - let us know so we can support!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
@poka Ha ha, yes those! June 23... Vegas?
did it through Matt/Trinity - like seems like everyone else - lol
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
DCBS is good but you have to preorder 2 months in advance. they don't carry stock and they do give "warnings" if they feel you buy too many of the same copy. Also - their variants do not come cheap

I struggle on places that charge too much for variants and places that charge over cover for "exceed" variants... The lenticular covers, for example, were supposed to be cover price. Same for the venomized covers. Same for the Phoenix-ized covers coming in November. But, some retailers raise the covers to make up for the fact that they had to buy more copies of the regular to get to the exceed variants. If it's reasonable... $1 more... I guess it's not too bad, but when they go higher, it just ticks me off.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Let me jump in here too with my answers:

LCS - I am blessed with being in an area where there are multiple shops. I have one shop where I have my pull list. It's a smaller shop so they dont always get the higher ratio or incentive variants but it's a place I can go shoot to poo for a while and I like the staff. Another is like a Walmart version of LCSs, they get everything. If I'm in the area I like to stop in and see what's what. Another I hit sometimes on my way home from work. They get new books but they're always picking up collections and I like digging through the new stuff (back issues that just came in) for deals

ONLINE SUBSCRIPTIONS - I have used MidTown in the past and I like that you can order so far in advance. Shipping was super slow though and the one time I did have an issue with a book being damaged they were super communicative and remedied the situation rather quickly. Would use again.

NEW COMICS ONLINE (OTHER) - I order exclusives from eBay, KRS Comics, Brain Trust, Unknown Comics, Dynamic Forces, ComicsElite, comiccollectorlive, Instagram and a few others here and there

WHAT ELSE - If I am on the hunt for a specific book I will look at multiple sources to check availablitly, price, condition, shipping options
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Gotcha... I guess the advantage of being in So Cal is I get access to some of the creators, but not all of them. Some only seem to travel around the East Coast and ignore us out here!!! Tyler is at a lot of cons here.
Post 30 IP   flag post

@JLS_Comics I haven't used the ComicsElite site, but I am in the group on FaceBook, so I have purchased from him that way. Shawn's a good guy, but often misunderstood. I watch his lives weekly-ish.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
@poka not a lot of sales thru CBSI, but some. I will buy from there before ebay, as I know most of the folks and their packing methods.
Post 32 IP   flag post
eBay is way too much of a crap shoot for me unless someone has a LOT of feedback and even comments based on packaging. It's just too hard to trust that people have a clue on packaging. I hear of too many people getting books mailed to them in padded envelopes or priority flat rates. GASP!

I tell you, one of the most shocking (in a good way) shipments I've received in recent history was from IGComicStore... My first purchase from them was the Old Man Logan 25 Teaser Variant Black and White virgin... Paid $40 for it (shipped) and was soooooo worried how it would show up. Came in a 13 X 8 X 3 box and was so well packaged inside, I was shocked. That one is getting graded right now. I asked Mike if there was a CHANCE he might be coming anywhere in the US for signings before I sent it in.

Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Matt/Trinity?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector DarthKribs private msg quote post Address this user
@thelastbard Matt Saltzman with Trinity comics.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
I haven't used the ComicsElite site, but I am in the group on FaceBook, so I have purchased from him that way. Shawn's a good guy, but often misunderstood. I watch his lives weekly-ish.

Absolutely! I agree Shawn is good peeps. I like to watch the live auctions frequently on Facebook too. In fact, I'm sure I have seen you in the chat just didnt know it lol They're always running specials and I like the idea of hiding prizes on the back of books. It keeps it fun
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Quote:
I haven't used the ComicsElite site, but I am in the group on FaceBook, so I have purchased from him that way. Shawn's a good guy, but often misunderstood. I watch his lives weekly-ish.

Absolutely! I agree Shawn is good peeps. I like to watch the live auctions frequently on Facebook too. In fact, I'm sure I have seen you in the chat just didnt know it lol They're always running specials and I like the idea of hiding prizes on the back of books. It keeps it fun

Sometimes, I have them playing while I'm getting work done, so I can't exactly chime in... When I do, I'm a bit of a peanut gallery and even try to point people to buy certain things, ha ha.
Post 37 IP   flag post
@thelastbard Are you the one always harassing Kara? lol

(and for others reading this I'm not serious about harassment, so please don't take that the wrong way!)
Post 38 IP   flag post
oh hell no!
Post 39 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics I'm not a harasser... I'd be the guy who says, "Shawn, can you show me the BLAH on the wall?" then say, "oh, why don't you show all of the Venom 150 variants still available," then a bunch of the variants sell. That happened several weeks ago.
Post 40 IP   flag post
They do the Tuesday night sale which gives a really good look at books coming on out Wednesday. Not sure if they're going live tonight due to it being a holiday but I like that when they do it.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
They do the Tuesday night sale which gives a really good look at books coming on out Wednesday. Not sure if they're going live tonight due to it being a holiday but I like that when they do it.

Yeah, those are what I like to watch. It also helps from a prospecting standpoint! You get a gauge on what people are really going to want come Wednesday. Shawn has the books, I see what people want, and a little while later, g-mart goes live with Wednesday books, so I can snag things, too, which I may have missed, AND I can still PM my local shop, since, by that point, my friend is working on pulls for the next day.

After over 30 years of collecting, you just figure out what you need to do to NEVER miss what you want. The only things I tend to miss are books out of the budget. For example... I'm pissed the Adam Hughes Thor 700 is so pricey!!!
Post 42 IP   flag post
Good strategy and that's also what I use Midtown's listings for. Seeing what is sold out, checking their Previews sales for hot stuff, etc.

I didnt get a Thor 700 either but it is already settling down. I think it will stabilize around the $80-100 mark before long. When it does, I'll buy.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Good strategy and that's also what I use Midtown's listings for. Seeing what is sold out, checking their Previews sales for hot stuff, etc.

I didnt get a Thor 700 either but it is already settling down. I think it will stabilize around the $80-100 mark before long. When it does, I'll buy.

My only issue with Midtown has been that I don't always know, when ordering in advance, that the books will arrive PERFECT.

One thing I also check, though, is what has sold out or is marked as "low stock" on the g-mart site. They have a color coding system and a very concise listing of weekly comics.

Check this out... So, at the top, I go to New Comics, then click on Oct 25 for last week.

Green = readily in stock
Red = critically low stock
Yellow = low stock
White = out of stock

Their pricing structure is based on supply, but tempered by variant structure. So, a 1:5, 1:10, 1:whatever will cost more, of course. A normal book will be cover price until they are down to their last 1-2 copies, because they want to try to keep 1-2 copies in stock for their online store. If they only order 1-2 copies, the LAST copy will the the pricey one.

This is for the online store, having nothing to do with pre-orders....

I look at this on Tuesday night shortly after books show up for sale, then again on Wednesday morning when I wake up to see what is trending. So, last week, Merciless, Action Comics, both covers of Detective... New Wonder Woman team... The things I also mentioned on my Monday post about new books for DC.

Keep in mind, though, they might have 20 copies on sale at regular price, then the last 2 copies or something go up in price... You can click on an individual item and see the pricing structure. You might have the opportunity to buy five copies at regular price and the sixth costs more or something... If you pre-order, it's at a discount, and you order as many as you want! You can even pre-order FCBD, HCF, and other fun things at the price they pay, AND still get FCBD books online. Bwa ha ha...

Post 44 IP   flag post
Speaking of ComicsElite... Check out their guaranteed 9.8 option.

https://www.comicselitecomics.com/pages/9-8-subscription-box
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
I was buying from midtown,but they were horrible with their packaging, so I switched to comic cartel, but then had the same issue.

With anyplace I'm ordering online, I try to make sure I'm not ordering "small" unless I've heard they have good packaging. I've gone so far as to order from Forbidden Planet UK to get exclusives and stock when they have it. Paid the price once on minimalist packaging and lots of "touches" on the boxes along the way. Another time, the box came completely fine.

I'm jealous of anyone who lives close enough to midtown to shop there in person, but if you're shopping online, I think they will pack in a bigger box if you order more than $20-ish at a time. My last order (not this week), was around $30, maybe six books, and it came in a decent box, bubble wrapped inside around a Midtown paper bag, books inside were bagged and boarded. My wife asks, "how many books did you order?" When I opened the box, it was like they were protecting explosives.

@OrbitCityComics , are you just doing eBay right now, and are you just re-selling right, or have you gotten to the point of opening a Diamond account? What's your web site?

I occasionally sell on eBay, but mostly just trying to build inventory at the moment.

I own Orbitcitycomics.com, but you'll find nothing there. I snagged the name, along with a few others, just so no one else gets it.

I sold my last store about nine years ago, and signed a non-compete that expires next year. Right now I'm just laying the groundwork for when it expires. February 1, 2019 is the date I can apply for a new Diamond account without violating my agreement.
Post 46 IP   flag post
@OrbitCityComics Well, if you need help on web design, logos, etc, I know some people, including myself, who can assist on some things. Just PM me and we can talk... I'm all about good people! If you ever look at any of my books, my wife and I do all of the graphic design and lettering. Sometimes in a pinch, we lean on a pro-designer who does it full time in MN.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:

I sold my last store about nine years ago, and signed a non-compete that expires next year. Right now I'm just laying the groundwork for when it expires. February 1, 2019 is the date I can apply for a new Diamond account without violating my agreement.

A 10 year’s non-compete agreement? Is that even valid? Hope you got a good price
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

A 10 year’s non-compete agreement? Is that even valid? Hope you got a good price

Yep, it's valid, and I did quite well from the deal, but sadly I had to share with the ex-wife.

I know the formula, I just need to be smarter this time around.
Post 49 IP   flag post
@OrbitCityComics Hope you're able to come back with a BANG!
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
LCS: I'm lucky to have www.newenglandcomics.com/ with 2 stores I can get to easily and two more if I feel like traveling. There's always something to find. I don't really read modern comics to much but I usually just grab any that catch my eye there.

Online: I usually use www.mycomicshop.com/ and eBay.

Other: Pound ground. Flea markets, estate sales, pawn shops.

Other Other: I try to hit Big Apple Comiccon every year for shopping, I usually have a blast and score some good deals.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
LCS: I'm lucky to have www.newenglandcomics.com/ with 2 stores I can get to easily and two more if I feel like traveling. There's always something to find. I don't really read modern comics to much but I usually just grab any that catch my eye there.

Other Other: I try to hit Big Apple Comiccon every year for shopping, I usually have a blast and score some good deals.

I'm spoiled by a bunch of shops in the San Diego area (harder now that I'm in the southern Riverside County area), but it's NOTHING like the concentration of shops in that corner of the country and the quality of them. Los Angeles may be the only area to rival, but, again, I think there's more comic "age" in the East.

I always hear about flea market finds and estate sales, even locally, but I have yet to go to them and find books... I need to try and go to flea markets at least. I'm missing out.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil

I'm spoiled by a bunch of shops in the San Diego area (harder now that I'm in the southern Riverside County area), but it's NOTHING like the concentration of shops in that corner of the country and the quality of them. Los Angeles may be the only area to rival, but, again, I think there's more comic "age" in the East.

I always hear about flea market finds and estate sales, even locally, but I have yet to go to them and find books... I need to try and go to flea markets at least. I'm missing out.

My best flea market find was book on my avatar, X-Men 12. I paid $10 for it, granted that was nearly 20 years ago now. I had Stan Lee sign it at my first convention and CBCS received it on Monday and I can't wait to have my baby back.

PS: Check https://www.estatesales.net/search/ for estate sales in your area.
Post 53 IP   flag post
596776 53 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?