Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Ginosdad private msg quote post Address this user
I have a graded ASM 1(4.5). My LCS has a Stan Lee signing this Friday. However, there are no witnesses. Do I crack it open and have Stan sign it unverified or do I leave it alone and find something else for him to sign. Suggestions??
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Depends what you intend to do with it. Personally - I would only have it signed if it would qualify for yellow label.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If you are shelling out money to have Stan sign something the extra $20 for red label is not a big deal.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Stan has signed so much, it's getting to the point where a book without his signature may be more desirable. Plus, I've heard more than a few horror stories where a book has gone down in grade after being handled by him, so I would be very cautious and think twice about doing this. Personally, I think I would get more enjoyment out of just meeting and having a short conversation with him. If you must have him sign something I would find a different book and not risk your ASM #1, but that's just my opinion.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If he preps the book and puts in some extra backing boards he shouldn't have problems with damage. A low - mid key book is probably the best thing to have Stan sign. At least he worked on the book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Plz dont ruin that book
Post 6 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Crack the case. Lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector nikki666666 private msg quote post Address this user
crack it open...

I have a swap thing 1 signed by Berni Wrightson and was due to have Len Wein sign it in a few weeks time...

oh how disappointed i am now!

Do it!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Depends what you intend to do with it. Personally - I would only have it signed if it would qualify for yellow label.

That☝🏻
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
get it signed but have your pix taken with him and the book.
You can always have it signed on pg 1.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Please don't de-Face the book by letting somebody write on it
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Please don't de-Face the book by letting somebody write on it

This. It would be different if it was a modern or run of the mill book from any age. But not an ASM #1.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
+1 with everyone saying not on this book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Stan has signed so much, it's getting to the point where a book without his signature may be more desirable. Plus, I've heard more than a few horror stories where a book has gone down in grade after being handled by him, so I would be very cautious and think twice about doing this. Personally, I think I would get more enjoyment out of just meeting and having a short conversation with him. If you must have him sign something I would find a different book and not risk your ASM #1, but that's just my opinion.

So far I only submit signature series for grading. I love a good signature on a book with some nostalgia. But I fully agree with the comment. I am to the point that I would prefer to buy unsigned copies of stan's books. The market is just so flooded it no longer appeals to me. Plus his signature placement often detracts from the cover art.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
If you plan to sell and want to capitalize on the book, I'd say have it signed. Stan Lee will not be around forever unfortunately, and there will come a time when his signature may increase in value -- making that book way more collectible.

Of course, there are some people who believe having a book signed will deface it. I myself am not a huge fan of signed books. But I think you will best monetize that book by having it signed and it is a worthy perspective to consider, even if you have no immediate plans to sell.

Also, I think a red label will suffice for many collectors, so I would not be dissuaded even if an AW is not available.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I just checked ebay, and depending on how you look it up, I found up to 3,623 books advertised with a Stan Lee autograph. Of those, I found 6 graded Amazing Spider-Man #1's that were Stan Lee autograph signature series. And this is just ebay, not counting all the others that can be found on other sites. The market is flooded, so much so (and I hate to say it because it will surely be a sad day), when he dies, I think the market for his autograph will say, "meh". There's just too much out there and even though I have a few books myself with his autograph, I have no desire to own anymore, and pass over books with his autograph just because I know there's so much out there.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
I just checked ebay, and depending on how you look it up, I found up to 3,623 books advertised with a Stan Lee autograph. Of those, I found 6 graded Amazing Spider-Man #1's that were Stan Lee autograph signature series. And this is just ebay, not counting all the others that can be found on other sites. The market is flooded, so much so (and I hate to say it because it will surely be a sad day), when he dies, I think the market for his autograph will say, "meh". There's just too much out there and even though I have a few books myself with his autograph, I have no desire to own anymore, and pass over books with his autograph just because I know there's so much out there.

What he said
Post 17 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I have seen some people get the slab signed...as long as you never get it re-slabbed could be an option
Post 18 IP   flag post
Wow!!! Thanks all!! I have considered all my options and your opinions and.....I will not be cracking open the slab. I have a raw copy of Incredible Hulk #6 and Daredevil #5. I will have him sign one of those instead. Thanks for all the suggestions!! You folks are why I love this place.

Ginosdad
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
ASM #1 in 4.5 is the quintessential book to have signed by Stan. It's not high grade...in fact it's in the lower mid-grade range...so there's not a great deal of value (relatively speaking) in the book.

I would not hesitate to have it signed by Stan. Perfect book for it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Philflound private msg quote post Address this user
I personally think when Stan leaves us there will be a flood of books with his signature and the demand won't be there. Get the autograph for yourself with no thought of reselling and you'll be a happier collector. If you want to pay extra to get it verified, that's your option.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I said this on the CGC board, and I'll say it here: for the Silver Age, there are thousands, if not tens of thousands, if not even hundreds of thousands of copies of books still in existence. There were nearly 900,000 copies of Batman sold...SOLD, not just printed...in 1966. If there are less then 100,000+ copies of each of those books that still exist, I'd be very, very surprised. Same with Spidey. There are at least 73 copies of ASM #53 for sale on eBay right this moment.

A Silver Age book in average condition is about as common as an 80's book in very high grade: that is, REALLLLY common. The vast, vast majority of copies are not signed, and never will be signed. And when those creators die, that sets the upper limit of books with their sigs on them.

Sure, Stan's signed a lot of books...but it's a drop in the bucket compared to how many copies aren't signed, and he'll never sign. So, if you want it signed, don't miss the opportunity. And if someone wants a copy unsigned, there will be hundreds, if not thousands, of opportunities to buy one.

There may seem to be a "glut" of signed books...but it's mostly a mirage. And once Stan dies, even those will dry up.
Post 22 IP   flag post
And by the way...a great deal of the glut is due to people who don't know what they're doing getting books signed by Stan that have no value...but, because they paid the $$$ to get it signed, they imagine they have a right to get at least that out of it.

Stan created hundreds of comics...and presided over thousands more. So a lot of that is just a function of the amount of books he worked on. There aren't dozens of copies of the same book signed by Stan, so if a particular book is special to you, it may be hard to get one you like unless you do it yourself.

Especially in light of the recent deaths in the industry, I say "go for it." Get as many signed as is possible...no one is going to even come close to getting even 10% of all copies of any particular book signed.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
^
^
^
I agree.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Just one question for you... Would you go out of YOUR way to buy a classic high value book with a real Jack Kirby signature on it? or Bob Kane's?

IF the belief that comics go to digital platforms happens, then fewer collectors will care about signatures. Will that matter to you?
Post 25 IP   flag post
@det_tobor Great question!! I think I would go out of my way to get a silver age book signed by one of the greats. But don't you think that IF we do go all digital the signatures will be much more in demand?? Boy I tell you, I would love to sit at a table in a bar or restaurant with all of you to discuss this (and other topics)! I keep trying to convince my LCS to hold a weekly round-table discussion about our hobby...nothing yet
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
ASM #1 in 4.5 is the quintessential book to have signed by Stan. It's not high grade...in fact it's in the lower mid-grade range...so there's not a great deal of value (relatively speaking) in the book.

I would not hesitate to have it signed by Stan. Perfect book for it.

So 7K is not a great deal of value (relatively speaking)? Interesting way to look at $7,000.00 for a comic book.

We live in different worlds.

What exactly does relatively speaking mean? Does it mean, compared to the value of an ASM #1 in 9.4? Or does it mean, as it relates to Action Comics #1 in 4.5?
Post 27 IP   flag post
When I got his signature on a book. It was not for any value aspect. It was evidence I had met and talked with the man. A memento. Which any five dollar book would work.

Now everything is about money. Everything and everyone chasing the almighty dollar.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginosdad
@det_tobor Great question!! I think I would go out of my way to get a silver age book signed by one of the greats. But don't you think that IF we do go all digital the signatures will be much more in demand??

@Ginosdad, two halves to that answer.
* if we go all digital, fewer people, especially younger collectors
will care about paper comics or older talents. How strong a
market is there for Murphy Anderson?
* if you want to sell it in the future, market value goes by
** how much demand for it in paper form
** how many collectors will WANT it and how strongly
( 4 people may not put a lot of bids to an auction)
these are things to consider. Yes, there are vinyl record
collectors, but how hot are they or autographs of singers?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Not a big sig fan for my personal collection, but this situation may be different. Good discussion so far and both sides come off very convincing. If you seek and enjoy sigs on your comics, go for it. It also sets up potential future value should you need to sell or just leaving to your kids. Everything is lined up for you.
Post 30 IP   flag post
602905 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?