CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Never mind
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarshade
They have insurance unfortunately my original birth certificate in a building in New Orleans didn't during Katrina.

So you don't exist???😎
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn

nah, it just means he's a Mysteron clone.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazywan
@CBCS, as we all know Hurricane Irma is rapidly approaching,and flooding may accur, and I know how fast St. Petersburg floods, how are our comics being protected in "the vault"? Is the vault watertight? Are you currently wrapping our books in garbage bags? Will Steve (any or all will do) be holding our books above his head to keep them from the rushing flood waters? Will this effect the tat schedual? These are things we need to know. Good luck to you all @CBCS ...stay dry please

I believe that you know that.

I also believe that CBCS was acutely aware of the potential for flooding , due to being located in a coastal state,when they built their vault.

I also believe that their vault was constructed with that foresight in mind.

Why do I believe these things to be true?

I believe these things to be true because CBCS is a successful business that routinely has millions of dollars of comic books in their vault, at all times.

The books are also elevated in their vault to begin with, and have been moved to a higher elevation point.

Furthermore, a business does not become as successful as CBCS has become, when it is run by those who lack such foresight and common sense, to plan ahead for the likelihood of a natural disaster, when their business is located in a coastal state.

As far as your query regarding the possibility of Hurricane Irma effecting turn around times, the safety of CBCS employees comes before turn around times.

All due respect, I cannot believe you would even ask such a question.

I am going to assume that you were speaking facetiously. Even so, the sort of "humor" that you composed your post with, is stunningly calloused and strikes me to be in very poor form.

I just read a similiar post on CGC's Facebook page, I find it hard to believe that CBCS and CGC customers would assume that either company would be as successful as they both are, yet somehow owned & operated by fools.

Successful businesses like CBCS and CGC are not owned and operated by fools.

All of what I have said here applies to CGC, as well.

These are the top two companies in their field.

All of your comics are in the best of hands, wether they are with CBCS or CGC.

This thread should be locked, IMHO.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Exactly how many companies are in that field?

And you have never been humble. Just flat out state "IMO" without the "H". LOL

(just messin' with ya, like you did with K W)
Post 30 IP   flag post

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarshade
They have insurance unfortunately my original birth certificate in a building in New Orleans didn't during Katrina.

This guy is taking Roy off the grid. He doesn't have a social security number for Roy.

Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

I actually take pride in being humble and respectful but that besides the point I meant that "H was
chiefly mean as "honest/humble" but really, his remarks struck me as disrespectful, and rather cold hearted, considering the potential of Hurricane Irma.

A handful of other grading outfits exist but none offer much of any substantial credibility.

CBCS and CGC have certified the highest existing copies of GA keys like Suspense #3 and Action 1.

Will you ever see pedigree GA and SA keys at Halo, PGX or any of the otherlwer tier firms.

Certainly not.

That is because CGC was the first legitimate company to offer third party comic book grading.

A decade later or so, the former head grader at CGC, some time after leaving CGC to work for Heritage Auctions, partnets up with an investor and leaves Heritage to become the chief officer and head grader at CBCS.

CBCS, hires other pediigreed and well respected members of the industry like West Stephan (who also formley handled resroration checks for CGC abd grading for CGC....Mark Roman, Steve zlaulus and the rest of the CBCS graders have comparable resumes.

Same can be resoundingly said for Paul Litch, Marc Haspel and their crew at CGC.

Point being , CBCS and CGC habe the most reputable , experienced names in the industry.

As such, they command what woukd esimate to be 95% of the graded comuc marmet share.

And between the two of them, they command 10(% of the graded market.

The prestige, experience in the field , impartibility and reliability of CBCS and CGC is what defines them both.

Any other company like Halo, FOX or the hand full of even lesser companies have no more to offer than storing a comic in Gerber Artcival bag and boards with a grade given by who k per who.

Look at the employee resumrs given on both CBCS and CGC's main web sites for a conciseive breakdown, for more.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector XxSpideyxX private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's fair to be concerned, but I'm sure they have taken all the necessary precautions. Also, assuming the "vault" is located at the same address as their sorting/processing facility, you can easily see the entire building on Google Maps
Post 33 IP   flag post
CopperAgeKids: I can not disagree with anything you said in that last post of yours.

But I can disagree with your previous post when you chastised Krazywan.

You made it sound like CBCS and CGC are business geniuses. Do business geniuses start up a business that deals in, and houses, paper products worth multiple thousands of dollars and some of which are literally irreplaceable, in an area known for having tremendous storms of water? Good business sense and strategy would have them do this in an area more centrally located. IMO. Like maybe Cincinnati.

Is "threatening" to thin the heard of your customer base a wise business method? I'll leave that one up to you to decide if it is or if it ain't.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

But Krazywan was obviously trying to lightheartedly discuss the storm situation. I mean, visualize Borock holding books over his head while standing in waist high water. No harm meant, no foul dealt. But you turned it on Krazywan to make yourself look good by making him look bad.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. Instead of a simple "hey guys, let's not be too insensitive during this storm crisis", You decided to post a "wall" making Krazywan seem like an uncaring soul.

EVERYONE HERE hopes for the best, for the families and properties of those in Florida during this time of strife. Including me and Krazywan. I feel confident in saying that.

And calling for a thread to be locked AFTER posting walls of text yourself, is really cheating. Because it would leave your chastisement of Krazywan there "forever" while not affording him the opportunity to defend himself or apologize. However he chooses to address your comments.

By the way. I have several "keys" in PGX slabs. ASM #1, Captain Marvel #1 (pedigreed) and Captain America #100. But to be fair to you. My plan is to have them CBCS graded as money allows.

And finally. Yes, this is also a wall of text. I have been doing that since Al Gore invented the internet. You are a Johnny Come Lately when it comes to walls of text, (ending my wall with a little lighthearted humour). (Hope that is okay)
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Krazywan private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not even going to argue nor do I need to defend myself, some people got the joke others did not, my sense "humor" is subjective. And I live about 25 mins north of cbcs so I'm in the same boat as them. I have the Gulf of Mexico 15 mins to my left, Tampa Bay 15 mins to my right, as long as my body is facing north, if I'm facing south it's vice versa. @conditionfreak gets it. Sorry my dry humor is not for everyone. Stay safe, stay dry and good luck to us all
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector jaeldubyoo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

I actually take pride in being humble and respectful but that besides the point I meant that "H was
chiefly mean as "honest/humble" but really, his remarks struck me as disrespectful, and rather cold hearted, considering the potential of Hurricane Irma.

A handful of other grading outfits exist but none offer much of any substantial credibility.

CBCS and CGC have certified the highest existing copies of GA keys like Suspense #3 and Action 1.

Will you ever see pedigree GA and SA keys at Halo, PGX or any of the otherlwer tier firms.

Certainly not.

That is because CGC was the first legitimate company to offer third party comic book grading.

A decade later or so, the former head grader at CGC, some time after leaving CGC to work for Heritage Auctions, partnets up with an investor and leaves Heritage to become the chief officer and head grader at CBCS.

CBCS, hires other pediigreed and well respected members of the industry like West Stephan (who also formley handled resroration checks for CGC abd grading for CGC....Mark Roman, Steve zlaulus and the rest of the CBCS graders have comparable resumes.

Same can be resoundingly said for Paul Litch, Marc Haspel and their crew at CGC.

Point being , CBCS and CGC habe the most reputable , experienced names in the industry.

As such, they command what woukd esimate to be 95% of the graded comuc marmet share.

And between the two of them, they command 10(% of the graded market.

The prestige, experience in the field , impartibility and reliability of CBCS and CGC is what defines them both.

Any other company like Halo, FOX or the hand full of even lesser companies have no more to offer than storing a comic in Gerber Artcival bag and boards with a grade given by who k per who.

Look at the employee resumrs given on both CBCS and CGC's main web sites for a conciseive breakdown, for more.

I think you may be overly optimistic if the facilities get flooded. As well as CBCS can prepare for the worse,they has no control over the weather. Aside from the possible damage initially from the flooding, there is the aftermath to deal with, What about the clean-up, repairs, and mold? Let's hope the facilities escape the wrath of Irma.
Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Irma is no longer tracking the east coast. We can only hope she's lost most power by the time it reaches our books 😳

Hope the CBCS staff gets out of town or stays in a safe spot as well!

Post 37 IP   flag post
Just heard on the radio that the Florida Governor is telling everyone in Florida to be prepared to evacuate the state.

Everyone. That is about 20 million people.

We have a grandson who just started his first year in college at the University of Florida in Gainesville. It is the first time he had been on his own, as his parents were just transferred to Phoenix (Air Force) and we are in Ohio.

We talked with him today and he says everyone at the college are making preparations for the storm. He expects to be okay but we of course are worried. His parents told him to fly home but he says that is impossible at the moment.

Fingers crossed.
Post 38 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak I have not heard that yet, I cant imagne that many people trying to leave at once; that is a disaster in itself. My cousins on Vero Beach say most all of the roads are blocked, and they couldnt get out if they wanted to.

This could be very very bad.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
my mom has a friend that lives just north of Miami on the beach & she has to stay & work. She's a social worker & she's required to help her clients find shelter. She's gotta stay & wait it out. So I know for a fact they won't vac the entire state.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Oh sure. The "essential" workers like police, fire, ems and other vocations like power company employees and Red Cross volunteers will do what they always do.

Can you imagine the hospitals and nursing homes? Not to mention the zoos, pet shops and humane shelters, and the livestock farms. All trying to find some dry or high ground. I wonder if the alligators and pythons will be in peoples living rooms when they finally come back home.

This could be THE big one. Or, it could be just another one. We will know soon enough.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Just heard on the radio that the Florida Governor is telling everyone in Florida to be prepared to evacuate the state.

Everyone. That is about 20 million people.

We have a grandson who just started his first year in college at the University of Florida in Gainesville. It is the first time he had been on his own, as his parents were just transferred to Phoenix (Air Force) and we are in Ohio.

We talked with him today and he says everyone at the college are making preparations for the storm. He expects to be okay but we of course are worried. His parents told him to fly home but he says that is impossible at the moment.

Fingers crossed.
Tampa International Airport closes tonight at 8pm no more planes in or out, I'm sure that will be the case at most Florida airports. The storm is expected to weakin to a cat 1 if it goes straight up the state, so UF has that going for them and they have a lot of shelters on campus. What we do not want is that thing to get into the Gulf of Mexico, it has a high chance to strengthen if that happens. And I'm staying right where I'm at I have to be here to hold my comics up over head
Post 42 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Having lived through a few hurricanes now, the area where the storm makes initial landfall will get hit the hardest. When Hurricane Charlie roared down the I-4 corridor years ago it downed lots of trees and tore up many older damaged roofs. While bad it was not apocalyptic. This storm could be like Andrew which was devestating. If it comes through the middle of the state it will weaken significantly over land. It will drop allot of rain but the real damage from the storm surge and winds should be minimal. Heck, some of our severe thunderstorms produce winds in excess of 70 miles an hour.

Having seen the vault at the CBCS facility the books should be fine unless the whole building is underwater. Doubt that will happen.
Post 43 IP   flag post
It's now looking like it will hit landfall around Naples. But it is weather, so..............
Post 44 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
The devastation Harvey caused to Houston and the images of houses and business half under water is hard to take in. Here is hoping Florida doesn't get hit too hard.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Listening intensely to the news about Irma, and heard on the radio that some stores were charging 30 to 40 dollars for a case of water that usually sells for about $3. And airlines were charging $1,000 for plane tickets out of Florida (specifically Delta Air lines was mentioned), that would usually cost two or three hundred dollars.

But Home Depot was selling cases of water for less than $3.00 and asked Florida what they needed most and were told plywood. So Home Depot sent 30 trucks full of plywood to the state, and will keep the stores and shipments coming until Friday night.

Not everyone is out for what they can get. But many are.

Which brings up the supply and demand argument, again.

I think supply and demand normally should rule. But in the case of human suffering and catastrophe. Supply and demand has to be superseded by humanitarian needs. IMO.

Kudos to Home Depot and all the rest of the conscientious companies.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Weird. Was talking to a couple last night that was gifted a flight to Vancouver since the ticket they had to Florida wasn't able to be used.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
I think supply and demand normally should rule. But in the case of human suffering and catastrophe. Supply and demand has to be superseded by humanitarian needs. IMO

Quoted for greatness.
Post 48 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
The devastation Harvey caused to Houston and the images of houses and business half under water is hard to take in. Here is hoping Florida doesn't get hit too hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle

Harvey dropped an estimated 21 trillion gallons of water to a region already saturated that had little to no drainage. Add rivers overflowing their banks and you have a recipe for disaster. Hopefully that is not the case here as the storm seems to be moving across the islands fairly quickly and not stationary as Harvey was with Houston.
Post 49 IP   flag post
just a little add on - people taking any animals to shelters are being asked to bring food for them as well. Some animals are being shipped around the country to help them and new potential arrivals.
Animals do have minds. They will have no idea why they are taken from their families and no idea how to get back to them. For people who think animals can't think or feel, ask any professional who depend on their 4 legged partner to help keep them safe and alive.
Post 50 IP   flag post
ABC news is saying @ 6:30pm, Irma will make landfall as a cat. 5.
Post 51 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles
@DarthLego I didn't get a chance to post a reply. So no need to have your "Ummm... How does he want us to reply?" expression.

Uh Wut?

Quote:
That is my staring at CBCS in utter amazement at their continued silence while in the path of a Cat 5 Hurricane both figuratively and literally.

I was trying to make a "I don't really know you that well so I do not know how to reply to what you are saying." kind of joke. Kind of like talking about the comic book version of characters to a person who only knows them by the movies they watched.

But yeah... I knew what you were saying. I was just trying to lighten up the mood. Because I have not really experienced a moment in my entire lifetime where I did not live without the risk of an anxiety attack hitting me. Most are often mild, but the few end with a PTSD-like feel to them.

And right now... I have a comic that I'd definitely like to have them grade. But with the way people are acting, I prefer being goofy than thinking that I will quit after having that one comic graded.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@DarthLego I didn't get a chance to post a reply. So no need to have your "Ummm... How does he want us to reply?" expression.

Uh Wut?

Quote:
That is my staring at CBCS in utter amazement at their continued silence while in the path of a Cat 5 Hurricane both figuratively and literally.

I was trying to make a "I don't really know you that well so I do not know how to reply to what you are saying." kind of joke. Kind of like talking about the comic book version of characters to a person who only knows them by the movies they watched.

But yeah... I knew what you were saying. I was just trying to lighten up the mood. Because I have not really experienced a moment in my entire lifetime where I did not live without the risk of an anxiety attack hitting me. Most are often mild, but the few end with a PTSD-like feel to them.

And right now... I have a comic that I'd definitely like to have them grade. But with the way people are acting, I prefer being goofy than thinking that I will quit after having that one comic graded.
send that book in to graded,just wait until all this storm stuff is over here and they have more cases in stock and the tat comes down a bit, I'm sure you will love it. I got my first submission back from them last month and with all the hub bub going on I was still pleased but that's just me I'm not a flipper
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector XxSpideyxX private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Having seen the vault at the CBCS facility the books should be fine unless the whole building is underwater. Doubt that will happen.

Without compromising security or otherwise confidential information, can you describe the vault? What makes you confident in the structural integrity in the event of natural disasters like the current hurricane situation?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSpideyxX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics

Without compromising security or otherwise confidential information, can you describe the vault? What makes you confident in the structural integrity in the event of natural disasters like the current hurricane situation?

just guessing: big volume of very valuable books in so...
Vault could be a special room with reinforced door, ceiling & walls that has shelves and another special safe within it for high premium items.
.. Keep in mind, for the value of so many books, they would need to keep everything safe but easy to move in and out. Also, to have all the needed insurance in case of a robbery or disaster, they would need to satisfy the insurance company's requirements for its own protection. (Unless you believe they don't have more than small business insurance?)
Post 55 IP   flag post
601432 111 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?