Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Is totally awesome hulk 22 going to maintain4195

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Wait....but he's already married to Batwoman!!! and then had a child out of wedlock with Talia.

Damned - good to be rich to keep up with all those alimony/child support payments.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I think Hulk will be different. Unlike a few other books recently, there are some die hard Hulk fans out there, and he doesn't always get the respect he deserves.

Short term I believe the price will drop a bit.

Long term, say ten years, it will go up.

Those are just MY speculations.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
It will drop. High print run and lots of people who bought multiple copies. In a month, it'll be cover price when people need to dump them. Only the long haul speculators will hang onto them.

Was it really a high print run? I thought it was relatively low, mostly because of the lack of variants. Where can I find print runs on comics? Curios to see how it compares to batman 24, or supergirl 12 or any other recent popular comic...
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I picked one up for $30...and then was able to snag most of the other issues I the story arc off the stand. I figured $30 was worth the risk in case this takes off like NYX #3...you never know. I like the covers so it's nice to hold onto for that reason.

I'm also interested in the story...so it's more than just an investment for me too.

Hoping my $30 is 9.6/9.8 quality...otherwise I paid waaaay too much.

As for Batman 24...need to see what happens still...dragging this out...not much longer though! I think she says "yes"....but that doesn't mean they're getting married. So my guess is that it'll drag on a year before any wedding plans are made...gotta get past the watchmen thing and Action 1000 first...then the wedding of the millennium will start being planned.

As for Supergirl 12...It's just a cover...comic that is only a cover and no content is rare to hold value unless its truly rare. Going to dump my copies this week to compensate for paying $30 for Hulk 22.

$30 Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
It will drop. High print run and lots of people who bought multiple copies. In a month, it'll be cover price when people need to dump them. Only the long haul speculators will hang onto them.

What makes you say this book had a high print run?

Whatever it is, you are mistaken.

The print run on TAH # 22 is reported to be 23,000.

Cominchron.com will verify the print run soon enough, if they haven't already.

23 K for a mainstream Marvel title, with no variant covers, is pretty low, not high.

The Weapon X storyline is one of the most popular Wolverine storylines that exists, it is mentioned, or has been a focal point ( in Wolverines solo films) in every X-men and Wolverine movie that has been made.

Wolverine made his debut in Hulk # 180-#182....remember how Wolverine fought the Hulk in that storyline?

The cover of Hulk #181 ringing any bells?

What do you see on the cover of Hulk #181?

Hulk fighting Wolverine.

Since Wolverine was inroduced into the MCU, Wolverine versus the Hulk has always been a widely popular theme with Marvel collectors.

To take a classic storyline like Weapon X, which is arguably the definitive basis for the modern age Wolverine, and to combine Wolverine's' introductory foe (ummm,the Hulk) into an amalgamation of the two characters ....you have something that fans of *both* characters have wondered about for years.

Now, you have Wolverine AND Hulk collectors who want the book.

Arbitrarily, call that a 200% increase in a fan base, between the 2 characters.That is a conservative figure, I will add.

23,000 copies...Supply vs. demand.

I slept on this book, I have 3 copies left.

I sold one via auction a few days ago, the others will be on their way to Sunny Florida for grading on Monday.

Despite my offer on this board, of $40 for raw NM to $55 for raw 9.6/9.8 candidates....PLUS the costs of boxed, insured USPS Priority shipping....NO ONE has offered to sell a single copy to me.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
CAK - "To take a classic storyline like Weapon X, which is arguably the definitive basis for the modern age Wolverine, and to combine Wolverine's' introductory foe (ummm,the Hulk) into an amalgamation of the two characters ....you have something that fans of *both* characters have wondered about for years.
"

To be fair, I've been a fan of both of those characters for maybe as long as you've been alive and I've never "wondered" about that.

Aside from that I can't argue much with what you wrote above.
Post 30 IP   flag post

He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids Just giving you a counter-point on this topic.

Wolverine was not that popular of a character until Chris Claremont started to flesh out who he was. This opened up the chance for Barry Windsor-Smith to write Logan's part in the Weapon X project, which also debuted in The Incredible Hulk #181. Which would not be hot if they left him as-is.

However, the post-movie market for the character shows low re-sale values for Marvel Comics Presents #72-84. And besides his full first appearance, only his first limited series, Wolverine (Vol. 2) #10, and The Incredible Hulk (Vol. 2) #340 have maintained any real value within the market.

So pretty much, TAH #22 is riding the "Hype Train" as we speak. But like Bane and Doomsday before him, that will die down and so will the value of the issue. But not as much to the point that people should prepare to sell them at pre-publication prices. But he also will not reach Deadpool's mark.

So pretty much in the end, the Weapon X issues I had mentioned cost around $50 on eBay, both complete and in NM condition. So either way, time will only tell since there is more to be seen of this character.
Post 31 IP   flag post
LOQuote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
CAK - "To take a classic storyline like Weapon X, which is arguably the definitive basis for the modern age Wolverine, and to combine Wolverine's' introductory foe (ummm,the Hulk) into an amalgamation of the two characters ....you have something that fans of *both* characters have wondered about for years.
"

To be fair, I've been a fan of both of those characters for maybe as long as you've been alive and I've never "wondered" about that.

Aside from that I can't argue much with what you wrote above.

Logan, my wording on the part you bolded was poor.It is like 3:30 in the morning as I type this

What I meant was more along the lines of....what are the seperate powers/abilities that Wolverine and tge Hulk, have over one another?

What makes for the riveting battle crossover issues between the two of them?

What gives Wolverine a fighting advantage over the Hulk?

His admantanium claws, along with and all of the other powers he received during his transformation in the Weapon X Project.

Conversely, what gives the Hulk his fighting advantage over Wolverine?

His brute strength and thickened, armor like skin.

Those two factors are the underlying factors that have chiefly been driving all of the Wolvie vs. Hulk storylines, for some 42 odd years.

Now, with the Weapon H Project, you have the introduction of a character that combines the unique advantages that both of the two,and wholly seperate, characters have over one another.

Im essence, this is the most comprehensive "what if" story concerning the two characters that fans of both characters have wondered about for years...but this is not a " what if" storyline.

It is set in modern continuity.

This is not IMO going to be a Nyx #3 book, the sort that sells for $1500 in 9.8.

Once slabs hit the market, it will be an easy $250+ in 9.8.

I can see it creeping up to the $400+ range...there will probably be a couple outliers at $400-$500 within the first 1-3 months of 9.8 slabs on the market.

Speaking conservatively, it will probably settle at the $250 mark after the initial sizzle simmers down.It may not sizzle down all that much though, considering the cross over appeal of the character.

OTOH....if the character is well received by fans over the long term , which I think it will be because it is a fan boy's wet dream in a couple ways...Marvel could use the character in a movie, but that would not be for at least 4-5 years..
..or have him appear in a brief hint/cameo type of thing.

Think what that sort of 2 second hint in Logan (the movie) did to the value of the 1st App of Mr. Sinister....than, consider a diffetent sort of rumor/hinting and what not that was conveyed onto Nyx #3.

This book can definitely see several very signifigant upticks, over the years to come.

It depends where Marvel takes the character and Marvel has a proven track record of money makers, in the film industry.

This could also be the Hulk #181 for the under 25 crowd...while still having appeal to older collectors, that grew up reading Wolverine vs. the Hulk stories in the late 70's thru the 90's.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles

Wolverine was not that popular of a character until Chris Claremont started to flesh out who he was. This opened up the chance for Barry Windsor-Smith to write Logan's part in the Weapon X project, which also debuted in The Incredible Hulk #181. Which would not be hot if they left him as-is.

However, the post-movie market for the character shows low re-sale values for Marvel Comics Presents #72-84. And besides his full first appearance, only his first limited series, Wolverine (Vol. 2) #10, and The Incredible Hulk (Vol. 2) #340 have maintained any real value within the market.

So pretty much, TAH #22 is riding the "Hype Train" as we speak. But like Bane and Doomsday before him, that will die down and so will the value of the issue. But not as much to the point that people should prepare to sell them at pre-publication prices. But he also will not reach Deadpool's mark.

So pretty much in the end, the Weapon X issues I had mentioned cost around $50 on eBay, both complete and in NM condition. So either way, time will only tell since there is more to be seen of this character.

I never said thst MCP #72-84 were worth much, cash wise.

How could they be?

It is a 12 issue ORIGIN story, with about 8 pages of the Weapon X story per book.

There is no key book in that run, it's a 1 or 2 issue origin story, in drawn out serial format.

The relevance that the Weapon X Project had in the Wolverine & X-Men uiverse was the popularity I was referring to.

Bane and Doomsday and whatever else are apples and oranges.

Weapon H is the splicing of the most formidable aspects of two of Marvels heavy hitters/draws.

I'll respond to the rest when I'm not so tired but yeah, you're off the mark your assessment of there only being a dozen or so pricier Wolverine keys and so on.

By a great deal....

Follow up:

This listing of the top copper age keys , while not up to date, puts several Wolverine .CA books well above others.

http://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/most-valuable-comic-books-copper-age.html

I will also say that Wolverine has always been widely popular, at the very least since Miller's 4 issue mini series from 1982.

Study GPA trends on Wolverine keys, from BA to modern. That tells the full story.....
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Is there an interesting back story to support this monster? Something to keep readers interested in him long term? If not I doubt this thing will last long.

I tried to pick up the story, but everyone had raped the shelves clean of every issue 😞

@CAK I know of an LCS that usually has stuff like this, gonna try to make it this weekend. Last time I drove up there was during the xmen gold #1 rush and he had 10+ copies sitting on the rack. If I do find a #22 you can have it when I'm done reading it 😁
Post 34 IP   flag post
Sorry dude. Only copy he had has two bad spine dings on it.

I'll enjoy owning the reader copy anyways. No striking gold for me today.

Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Is there an interesting back story to support this monster? Something to keep readers interested in him long term? If not I doubt this thing will last long.

I tried to pick up the story, but everyone had raped the shelves clean of every issue 😞

@CAK I know of an LCS that usually has stuff like this, gonna try to make it this weekend. Last time I drove up there was during the xmen gold #1 rush and he had 10+ copies sitting on the rack. If I do find a #22 you can have it when I'm done reading it 😁

For the reasons I gave above, that seems like a pretty interesting back story.

Congrads on the pickups, btw. 😊
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Krazywan private msg quote post Address this user
I hope it goes up more and stays up, I was able to buy one off ebay before the super hype hit, it came with one small non color breaking spine tick. I was was happy to grab this when I did. One copy was all I needed, seeing as I'm not a flipper. And @copperagekids congrats on your sale I watched that one and your 9.8 garantee is what made that sale, high five on that one. And that is also why no one will sell theirs to you lol, good luck on the graded ones being sent out, I think I may send my copy out too, pretty sure I could get a 9.8
Post 37 IP   flag post
Ok....I've read the first 2 in the arc but am a little behind in my pile of 'to read' books - was able to get this issue and the others in the arc at my LCS even though it is not part of my normal pull.
I usually read ALL my books, even the ones I have graded that come back 9.2/4/6/8 - very carefully though.
Now I'm not sure if I should read this one!!!

Never read a digital comic - anyone know what sites offer the service for cheap!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Krazywan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Ok....I've read the first 2 in the arc but am a little behind in my pile of 'to read' books - was able to get this issue and the others in the arc at my LCS even though it is not part of my normal pull.
I usually read ALL my books, even the ones I have graded that come back 9.2/4/6/8 - very carefully though.
Now I'm not sure if I should read this one!!!

Never read a digital comic - anyone know what sites offer the service for cheap!
comixology has the digital books
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

What makes you say this book had a high print run?

Whatever it is, you are mistaken.

The print run on TAH # 22 is reported to be 23,000.

Cominchron.com will verify the print run soon enough, if they haven't already.

]

Comichron does not report print runs. They report sales.

Publishers, especially Marvel and DC, do not release print run information to the public, with very rare exceptions.

One more time: Comichron does not report print runs. They report sales.

This is vital information to know if one is to understand the modern comics market.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:

That website is WILDLY inaccurate, for all sorts of reasons I have detailed at length in other threads.

Quoting it as a source is no better than quoting the National Enquirer for news.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:

That website is WILDLY inaccurate, for all sorts of reasons I have detailed at length in other threads.

Quoting it as a source is no better than quoting the National Enquirer for news.

Wow - just checked out that website - seems a bit crazy - I have a lot of those books and can still find raw copies of most that will grade 9.8 - just cause 1 nutjob paid an insane amount once does not a market value make.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles

Wolverine was not that popular of a character until Chris Claremont started to flesh out who he was John Byrne convinced Claremont to keep him in the X-Men in the late 70's.

Fixed.

John Byrne, more than any other creator, is responsible for Wolverine being Wolverine. Both Claremont and Cockrum didn't like the character, and were planning to ditch him. Byrne came along, said "we have to keep the only Canadian character in comics", and proceeded to spend the next 3 years making Wolvie the badass he became.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I just read the story. First appearance of H-alpha is taHulk #21.

Cameo i guess? Idk. But here he is.

Post 44 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKidsI never said thst MCP #72-84 were worth much, cash wise.

How could they be?[/quote

I never said you did. But you were praising the entire arc as a reason why "Weapon H" should maintain its overall value. Before you chose to preach to a fan of his pre-James Howlett days. And one that also had seen this type of hype happen for Superman (volume 2) #75's polybagged variant.

In all cases, the main reason why very few of Wolverine's key issues maintain any value is because of Chris Claremont's handling of the character. I said that once before, but I felt it was worth repeating. Especially since it is one of those things that others in the field would agree upon.

And do you know why the MCP issues are virtually worthless now? It has NOTHING to do with it being an origin story. Because prior to the days when they had Logan regain all his memories, those were considered hot issues, and ones highly recommended for a more complete Wolverine collection.

What hurt those issues values was due to the fact that Marvel, in all of their eagerness to be first, pulled a "Brand New Day" on Logan, which ended up undoing any reason to buy these key issues. Which is the key point on what I am saying, based on pre-James Howlett sales versus today's.
Post 45 IP   flag post
@DocBrown I'll give you points on that, but it is not as much of a fix as you are claiming. Because when it comes to the history of Wolverine's popularity, people in the field give Chris Claremont full credit for his transition from being a hothead fighter to warrior with amnesia.

Here is one example:clickable text

Pretty much, Chris Claremont offered the idea to make him older, make him be an amnesiac warrior, and everything else that validates what I have said.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
A few reasons that hulk 22 is priced as I is are a) it came as a bit of a surprise - a lot of ppl missed out on it and b)there are no variant covers!

Back on topic;

Poka is right to point that out. Those are two vital ingredients for a key book.

To those that have an opinion on this, I would suggest you read the short series first. Two things jumped right out at me:

1. Hulk currently is the most pussified super in all the marvel universe. It's Totally awesomely sad. Completely, and totally, pussified (and has the control to keep his pussification while green).

2. Wolverine is portrayed as an old man on his way out. This does not appeal to younger people. He is not "cool".

Marvel has a chance to make this new guy into something. He is neither good nor bad; has the temperement of wolverine of old, and the crazy power of the hulk of old. If they play their cards right (and NOT name him fkng "Hulkverine" ), there is a chance this new guy could be something really big for them.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Hulkverine!!!

maybe Wolverulk???
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Hulkverine!!!

maybe Wolverulk???

Post 49 IP   flag post
@robertofredrico I was glad to see that "hulkverine" wiped out quickly. Hopefully the name doesnt carry over to H-A 😳
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
So did he die already?
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
That's not an actual picture from the book, is It? The one @robertofredrico posted. Because it looks ridiculous. Or is it supposed to?
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
That's not an actual picture from the book, is It? The one @robertofredrico posted. Because it looks ridiculous. Or is it supposed to?

Yes it is, but thats not him. H-alpha kills that thing.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

Yes it is, but thats not him. H-alpha kills that thing.

Yeah, that's Batch-H/H-Beta/Bobby Andrews in that picture up above.

Weapon H/H-Alpha/Real-Name-Unknown that everybody is freaking out about is this guy:

Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazywan
I hope it goes up more and stays up, I was able to buy one off ebay before the super hype hit, it came with one small non color breaking spine tick. I was was happy to grab this when I did. One copy was all I needed, seeing as I'm not a flipper. And @copperagekids congrats on your sale I watched that one and your 9.8 garantee is what made that sale, high five on that one. And that is also why no one will sell theirs to you lol, good luck on the graded ones being sent out, I think I may send my copy out too, pretty sure I could get a 9.8

Yes, I know that the CGC guarantee is what brought $170.50.

If I had known that the book was going to blow up like it is, I wouldn't have auctioned it at all....and just subbed it directly.

In a way, my guaranteed CGC 9.8 raw copy may have queered the initial FMV of slabbed 9.8 copies. I actually think it did so, to an extent.

If it was already slabbed in CGC 9.8 Universal, I could see a first to market CGC 9.8 selling for....well, possibly around $400.

As far as your copy, one small color breaking spine tick or not, have it pre-screened and pressed if needed.I take no chances on books that I expect to get 9.8's on.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601524 98 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?