Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

CBCS Case Swap video Real?3983

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
By the way...as to why one would pay CBCS to grade a book, if you already know how to grade, the answer is this: to facilitate commerce.

Knowing how to grade only helps YOU. It doesn't help the stranger who doesn't know you.

The cold reality is that a book that is a 9.8 might sell for $100, and its ungraded counterpart...still a 9.8...is only worth $1.

Keeping that in mind, the most important aspect of third-party grading is the restoration check. That alone is worth the price of admission. Even skilled experts can miss restoration now and again. The chances of the grading company missing it, especially after an owner has inspected it, are really low. Then, of course, the grade itself.

Graded books...with some exceptions, which I'll get to...were never intended to be long-term storage solutions for comics. They were meant to facilitate trade. You don't know who I am, I don't know who you are...but we both trust CBCS to come up with a grade to which we'll both generally agree.

And those who say "OMG! You can't READ them if you slab them!" the solution is simple: open the case. Problem solved, and that argument has never been valid.

The exception, of course, is with the Sig Series, and the way it's set up, you're reasonably assured that what you're getting was actually signed by the creator that the case says it is, with slim (not none, but slim) chance of getting a counterfeit.

THAT is why one would pay a grading company.

If one likes the product for its display properties, that's fine, too...but that's not its main function.

(This is why the "grading companies" thread shouldn't have been locked, by the way.)
Post 351 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
But we understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
You're using this board and its moderators as a shield. I'm sure they would prefer if you didn't, but I don't speak for them.

Talk about a double standard... I wonder why we can't discuss your guys opinions about CBCS on the CBCS forum?

I'm not stopping you.
Post 352 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm not stopping you.

No, but you're not sharing your real opinions.

I can't do that for you. If you want people to be honest with you, you need to be honest with them.

#doublestandard
Post 353 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
Quote:
But we understand.

Quote:
You're using this board and its moderators as a shield. I'm sure they would prefer if you didn't, but I don't speak for them.

Talk about a double standard... I wonder why we can't discuss your guys opinions about CBCS on the CBCS forum?

I've discussed my opinion about CBCS on the CBCS forum multiple times.

Here, I'll say it again: I support CBCS, and its place in the comic industry. I think CBCS is and has been desperately needed, because "functional monopolies" learn very quickly that they don't have to listen to customer criticism. CBCS has done wonders in this respect, and I fully support it continuing these efforts, while realistically acknowledging that no company is without fault, and despite marketing claims, doesn't have room for improvement.

Why are you trying to stir up trouble? It's Saturday...go to the park or something.
Post 354 IP   flag post
Quote:

Here, I'll say it again: I support CBCS, and its place in the comic industry. I think CBCS is and has been desperately needed, because "functional monopolies" learn very quickly that they don't have to listen to customer criticism. CBCS has done wonders in this respect, and I fully support it continuing these efforts, while realistically acknowledging that no company is without fault, and despite marketing claims, doesn't have room for improvement.

Why are you trying to stir up trouble? It's Saturday...go to the park or something.

There was a part you missed about the Mods of this board particularly... I feel like I've read something.
Post 355 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
Quote:

There was a part you missed about the Mods of this board particularly... I feel like I've read something.

Post 356 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
Quote:
I'm not stopping you.

No, but you're not sharing your real opinions.

I can't do that for you. If you want people to be honest with you, you need to be honest with them.

#doublestandard

Because your... Moderation hands out punishment. THAT WON'T HAPPEN AT DITCH'S SITE.

Register.
Post 357 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
Quote:

Doc... I just want your true opinion!
Post 358 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
Quote:

Doc... I just want your true opinion!

See above.
Post 359 IP   flag post
Quote:

Because your... Moderation hands out punishment. THAT WON'T HAPPEN AT DITCH'S SITE.

Register.

Closer.....
Post 360 IP   flag post
Confirmed.
Post 361 IP   flag post
Anyway, this is just more of the same. It's boring.
The invitation is always open. But we understand.
Post 362 IP   flag post
Quote:
Anyway, this is just more of the same. It's boring.
The invitation is always open. But we understand.

Would it blow your mind to know I'm already inside...
Post 363 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I think this thread has run it’s course for now. It’s being derailed, and that is going to stop here. We really don’t want to lock this thread.

CBCS will make an announcement when we have one to make. Today is Saturday. Everyone returns to the office on Monday, so please stop with the drama until we get back to you. I appreciate the passion, but really…

As for the incessant trolling, it stops here. Consider this the only warning. Your fate lies in your own hands. Or, fingers, I suppose.
Post 364 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you, Steve!!!
Post 365 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Steve. Cool it guys.
Post 366 IP   flag post
Oh, no problem. I was already done.

Looking forward to what the front office releases. I think their attention is better directed towards a decisive course of action, if any, and a complete reply rather than wording out something indecisive before they have a course of action, if any.

It is a drag knowing I have to be more concerned about buying slabs than I was yesterday, but I don't purchase slabs anywhere near the number you guys do, so that concern is pretty low.

When it comes to big keys, I usually to go to established sellers, even if it costs just a bit more for the peace of mind, though of course that's not a guarantee.

I'm curious if we're soon going to see comments along the lines of, "Inspected and verified to be tamper free" in sale descriptions. That would seem a bit "knee-jerk", but it's a goofy hobby anymore.
Post 367 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Wrong thread**
Post 368 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I cracked one of my rivit slabs for pressing. FYI the label is not secured at all, can be pulled out the side, no cutting needed.

Post 369 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I cracked one of my rivit slabs for pressing. FYI the label is not secured at all, can be pulled out the side, no cutting needed.

So it had even less going for it other than being fugly.
Post 370 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
In the comments to the second video the facilitator says that he cracked it open because he needed to get a Stan Lee signature for it. I thought that cgc doesn't recognize cbcs SS. Not sure how that would work or what the facilitator would write in the paper work.

Any ideas?
Post 371 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That's a very good question, poka
Post 372 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
In the comments to the second video the facilitator says that he cracked it open because he needed to get a Stan Lee signature for it. I thought that cgc doesn't recognize cbcs SS. Not sure how that would work or what the facilitator would write in the paper work.

Any ideas?

CGC Signature Series Qualified label. A yellow label with a green stripe at the top. The unwitnessed signature would be the qualifying defect ignored (for the numeric grade) and noted on label.

Scroll to bottom of linked page

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/label_description.asp
Post 373 IP   flag post
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
I can't find the video on youtube....
Post 374 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
CGC is cutting off its nose to spite its face by not honoring CBCS yellow. They are losing potential fees on case swaps from CGC users.
Post 375 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriffhards
I can't find the video on youtube....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=08L5wbwqqSI
Post 376 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
when did CGC state they were not going to honor CBCS yellow labels?
Post 377 IP   flag post
Idk, that has been the universal grapevine
Post 378 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
when did CGC state they were not going to honor CBCS yellow labels?

I have seen it in forums and it is not really surprising. Try to write anything in the cgc chatforum which contains cbcs and it will be deleted by moderators within 24 hours. There is a reason they use voldemort.
Post 379 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I am in agreement with DarthLego

This is purely a security flaw with CBCS, nothing ELSE matters.

I don't believe the "heat sealed Labels" were ever intended to be a security measure as much as they were a flaw in the QC department.

The whole point of authenticating and slabbing a book in the first place is SECURITY. without that you might as well just keep it raw.

Until CBCS implements a "REAL" security feature into their slabs I would not be inclined to use their services. I would also be hesitant in purchasing CBCS books online for the same reason.

Implementing a legit security measure will surely go a long way in securing my future business.

Healthy competition is absolutely needed, so I wish nothing but the best for CBCS and their continued success. Its a tough road to haul for a start up company going up against the established Goliath. Hopefully CBCS can stay the coarse and do the right thing here, to again buck the system and set themselves apart from the crowd.

I believe they can do it.
Post 380 IP   flag post
601505 606 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.