Post 276 IP   flag post
Collector Symbiote private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
A friend said it best to me an hour ago.
"I just want to enjoy comics".

If that's true, he shouldn't even be aware of any of this.

When I think about it, I was the happiest when I had my raw Bronze Age X-Men, Avengers, and Fantastic Four in long boxes. Graded books are a pain in the ass.

Post 277 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Finally watched the latest video (never saw the first version), and I have to say. I do not think there was any bad intentions on the part of the video poster. I actually think he has provided a service to the community/hobby/investors.

I guess it depends on how one views what Edward Snowden did.

Telling us something we needed to know. Or trying to hurt the country (or in this case, a business).
Post 278 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Finally watched the latest video (never saw the first version), and I have to say. I do not think there was any bad intentions on the part of the video poster. I actually think he has provided a service to the community/hobby/investors.

I guess it depends on how one views what Edward Snowden did.

Telling us something we needed to know. Or trying to hurt the country (or in this case, a business).

Exactly. Which is why I tried to get a copy in case it got taken down again. It's not to shame CBCS's case design. It's to display how a malicious person could commit such behavior for gain, which in turn effects a ripple action for the reseller market of graded books by CBCS to the would be shopper on auction sites.
Post 279 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloGraham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
I cracked out 3 CBCS slabs today. All three of the labels were held tightly to the inner well in the heat seal. In order to get them out completely I had to tear the label. I have a few of my own CBCS slabs here to check. I will look later on tonight.

Can you please post some pictures so we can have an example to review? Thanks!

Here is one. While I could have soaked the label in a solvent like Naphtha to see if it helped with the heat seal I simply tried to pry it way with my fingers. It was stuck enough to leave paper behind.

Post 280 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That's promising actually. Darth, go check your bottoms (giggles)
Post 281 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I did find a few from earlier slabs I cracked out. While the books are long gone I did save the labels. With an exact knife I opened one up from the top and the other from the bottom edge of the label. The one I opened from the top edge flared immediately and would have to be glued down to look original. You can easily see this in the shadow the #1 creates, The label I opened from the bottom edge did not flare and hardly looks like it was cut. If placed back in the case one would need high magnification to see that anything was doctored. The first picture is the inner well cut but both labels are in their original place. The second picture is where they are swapped. I labelled them 1 and 2 so you could see they were indeed swapped.

Any difference in size on the label could easily be corrected with a micro trim.

Post 282 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
That's promising actually. Darth, go check your bottoms (giggles)

lol, that was funny. Look at my pictures though, the heat seal does touch the bottom edge of the labels. Even on the ones that had the heat seal on the two side edge spots, I don't believe anything touched the bottom edge like that one CFP had.
Post 283 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Not my video, just sharing

Post 284 IP   flag post
Aside from all the cracks in the slab, and the bent label...that was brilliant.
Post 285 IP   flag post
Quote:
I did find a few from earlier slabs I cracked out. While the books are long gone I did save the labels. With an exact knife I opened one up from the top and the other from the bottom edge of the label. The one I opened from the top edge flared immediately and would have to be glued down to look original. You can easily see this in the shadow the #1 creates, The label I opened from the bottom edge did not flare and hardly looks like it was cut. If placed back in the case one would need high magnification to see that anything was doctored. The first picture is the inner well cut but both labels are in their original place. The second picture is where they are swapped. I labelled them 1 and 2 so you could see they were indeed swapped.

Any difference in size on the label could easily be corrected with a micro trim.

yeah but then you would know - you wouldn't see the perforated edge any longer, right?
Post 286 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics

I don't understand this attitude of "crooks will find a way to screw people no matter what, so just don't worry about it."

That's like saying "burglars will find a way into your house, so why waste time locking your doors?"

I find this type of attitude infuriating.
Post 287 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

This is the "old" CGC slabs though, right?
New CGC slabs would not be as shown in the video? (In other words CGC redesigned)
Post 288 IP   flag post
That guy's video didn't show anything.
Post 289 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

yeah but then you would know - you wouldn't see the perforated edge any longer, right?

Some don't have the perforated edge.
Post 290 IP   flag post
There is one huge problem with that video. That Jackwagon cracked the shiz out of the outer shell trying to open it. That's the very definition of "evident." lol
Post 291 IP   flag post
Look at that jagged saw tooth edge. LMAO

Post 292 IP   flag post
It may not be the cleanest ever but I do think he is making a valid point
Post 293 IP   flag post
His point is ignore the flaw of product B because product A used to have the same flaw, possibly worse. That's not a valid point in my opinion.
Post 294 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
His point is ignore the flaw of product B because product A used to have the same flaw, possibly worse. That's not a valid point in my opinion.

That's not how I see it but I do not care to debate it. Happy Friday 😎
Post 295 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Some don't have the perforated edge.

You can get laser cut shears that will give the cut a similar perforated edge.
Post 296 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

That's not how I see it but I do not care to debate it. Happy Friday 😎

Obviously not how I see it either. Also - in this example - product A does in fact still have the same flaw, actually worse - in it's magazine slabs. Right now. Today and tomorrow.

I'm not saying ignore the flaw of product B. Fixing the flaw of product B looks to be no more work than better QC. So hell yeah, let's fix it. I'm saying the person posting the video is misrepresenting his intent. He knows that magazine slabs from company A have the same flaws. He knows there are four million slabs by company A that have this flaw. He is NOT just providing some public alert - if he was he'd alert the public about these problem too.

How many books has CBCS slabbed total? Are they at a million yet? So the problem - to the degree it's a real problem and not a potential problem - is many times larger with CGC. Because there are many more slabs by CGC out there for sale.

It's not some altruistic good will warning. It's a partisan slap. Torrey can't alert the public about company A's problems. He'd loose his livelihood if he posted up something stating there are millions upon millions of CGC slabs with very little in the way of tamper protection. And that the currently used magazine slabs have little in the way of tamper protection.
Post 297 IP   flag post
CGC is irrelevant. This conversation is not about CGC.
Post 298 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Is this the heat seal? Like a quarter inch bump of glue or something on the label? It is hard to photograph.
Post 299 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Is this the heat seal? Like a quarter inch bump of glue or something on the label? It is hard to photograph.

Yup, that's the security feature in question.
Post 300 IP   flag post
Yeah, it's supposed to be a lot more prominent than that though.
Post 301 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Yah...seems disapointing? There's lots of jokes that can be made, but I'll leave it alone...for now.
Post 302 IP   flag post
We're on to Day 3 of this now, it would be nice to get a response from CBCS, an open discussion with them would be even better. Shouldn't something like this take priority? Should they continue accepting submissions or should they cease all grading until this is addressed?
Post 303 IP   flag post
Meetings.
Post 304 IP   flag post

Post 305 IP   flag post
601517 606 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.