Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

Mold and Rat Chew3598

Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
This comic for sale on Comic Link in an auction has 'foxing'.. I read in my Overstreet Guide that this is mold... I would prefer my comics not to have mold or rat chew (as previously mentioned)... also I would prefer them to cost under $400... none of this seems to apply here... the one that is a 6.0 seems a bit nicer, but maybe it would be good to sell your car first...

Post 1 IP   flag post
A 3.0 one in 2003 could be had for around $400... ok... regrets ...a 1.5 one in 2003 was $150 (YES< ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY)
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@keefriffhards I don't know what you read, but Foxing has nothing to do with mold whatsoever. Foxing is the browning of the paper over time due to the chemicals in the pulp reacting with the environment.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Wiki says it doesn't affect the integrity of the paper... BUT... "The causes of foxing are not well understood. One theory is that foxing is caused by a fungal growth on the paper. Another theory is that foxing is caused by the effect on certain papers of the oxidation of iron, copper, or other substances in the pulp or rag from which the paper was made. It is possible that multiple factors are involved. High humidity may contribute to foxing."
Post 4 IP   flag post
I guarantee it is not a fungal infection.

#TrustDarth
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I heard if you pee on the foxing areas on the comic, the pee will make it go away. Try it please.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I heard if you pee on the foxing areas on the comic, the pee will make it go away. Try it please.

Post 7 IP   flag post
I have tried the peeing and it didn't work, so I also used some windex and light abrading but now I fear the 10.0 book grade might have been affected...
Post 8 IP   flag post
I am glad it is not mold or fungus... I want my books to not keep degrading once slabbed (well, as little as possible)... I also (as you know) hate brittle pages and pieces that then fall off in the bottom of the slab.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@keefriffhards Aww sorry bro, it was Jelly Fish Stings, not Foxing. My bad.
Post 10 IP   flag post
601488 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?