Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Advice on coverless comic3387

Collector 99issues private msg quote post Address this user
I have the opportunity to acquire a Detective Comics 38 missing the cover. I am not an expert on coverless books so I was hoping some folks could pitch in some advice..

1. What would you value such a book?
2. Would adding a repro cover for grading purpose make it more or less attractive to future collectors/buyers?
3. I like this book alot but for a few grand more.. I can get a complete copy. Input?

Thanks in advance guys/gals
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
Do you have any pics or scans of the book? Depending on the overall wear & tear that's always gonna be a factor (I know, I'm stating the obvious!). Here's some advice that was given to me:

1. The value's going to vary depending on the market. There's always a demand for older books, coverless or not, and someone's always looking for these books. I'd check EBay & other auction sites to get an estimated value.

2. Adding any aftermarket upgrades could hinder your chance to resell the book. But then again, there's always people looking to buy a graded book no matter what improvements have been made! Key issues, first appearances, etc., are always sought after for collections but many would choose to have it "as is" without add-ons.

3. I say if it's a book you'd really like to have then pick it up, but shop around if possible. Who knows? You might be able to find that book @ a lower cost and put the extra bucks towards another gem for your collection!

I hope I was able to help ya out a bit. People here are VERY helpful & are always happy to help a fellow collector. So happy hunting & good luck! 🤘🏻😆🤘🏻
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
disclaimer: I'm also no expert on coverless comics

overstreet lists it for 8000 in good condition, but is also the first cover appearance of Robin, so the cover has value of its own

unless you're made an offer you can't refuse, I would go with a complete copy
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiebigfoot
Do you have any pics or scans of the book? Depending on the overall wear & tear that's always gonna be a factor (I know, I'm stating the obvious!). Here's some advice that was given to me:

1. The value's going to vary depending on the market. There's always a demand for older books, coverless or not, and someone's always looking for these books. I'd check EBay & other auction sites to get an estimated value.

2. Adding any aftermarket upgrades could hinder your chance to resell the book. But then again, there's always people looking to buy a graded book no matter what improvements have been made! Key issues, first appearances, etc., are always sought after for collections but many would choose to have it "as is" without add-ons.

3. I say if it's a book you'd really like to have then pick it up, but shop around if possible. Who knows? You might be able to find that book @ a lower cost and put the extra bucks towards another gem for your collection!

I hope I was able to help ya out a bit. People here are VERY helpful & are always happy to help a fellow collector. So happy hunting & good luck! 🤘🏻😆🤘🏻

Here is a pic. Thank you for your input. Really helps.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
1.5 cover detached.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
When I bought books 10 years ago, I was bidding on Amazing Spiderman #1 in 4.0 grade, and gave up at $2800... now how much is it worth (Graded by CGC). Other books I had went down, or stayed flat... so everything isn't going to just automatically go up in value. Robin was killed off as we know, and became another super hero, and they say Robin will appear in a new Batman film in a couple years... but if he goes off the grid for good that could effect the demand for DC #38. I would skip the coverless one for now, unless you love it and like propping it on your desk and staring at it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@99issues that book isnt just missing the cover, the 1st wrap is missing as well (so first and last pages).

It's got an incomplete story to go along with the missing cover. I'm not one to down coverless books, but this one is almost worthless IMO, its a .1 grade maybe a .3. You need two wraps to complete it

Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@99issues that book isnt just missing the cover, the 1st wrap is missing as well (so first and last pages).

It's got an incomplete story to go along with the missing cover. I'm not one to down coverless books, but this one is almost worthless IMO, its a .1 grade maybe a .3. You need two wraps to complete it

Thank you Shrew. This is why I value these forums. Input like yours and all of the input above it. Thanks folks.
Post 8 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
This is a very interesting thread as I have often questioned
if there is any interest in coverless and remainder comics
as I have a fair share of both...please continue the discussion.
Thanks!

Marty Mann
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@martymann there is certainly interest, but generally speaking for me it must be a key book. For example, if I come across a detective 38 that is only missing the cover (like the pic I posted) or is a leftover torn cover, I'll be interested as long as its a great price. IE less than 1/4 price of a complete poor.

If its just some random GA or SA book then I've got no interest at all, maybe a buck if I'm in a buying mood.

Others may have more interest, idk
Post 10 IP   flag post
I was reading online that one major 'rule' for collectors is that covers must be intact... missing coupons, decomposing tape and rusty staples seem to be more acceptable to collectors from what I can tell.. even (apparently) nail polish on the cover and names/ ink stamps etc.. I would feel that the more wrong with the book the more you have to want it and the rarer it has to be.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I think the real value in a book like this is in a single
page.

mm
Post 12 IP   flag post

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefriffhards

First time I've ever seen this issue...TERRIFIC!

Marty
Post 14 IP   flag post
Coverless...but I love the art!

mm
Post 15 IP   flag post
The damaged beings of comic books are infinitely more interesting than the perfect specimens...
Post 16 IP   flag post
615302 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?