Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPQuestionsSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Autograph Fuss331

Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Are you finicky or fussy on signings/autographs for your books?
Please share.

Do you let a voice actor of the character sign a book where he/she was cast previously, but not the version on the book? (example: Kevin Conroy signs a Dark Knight Returns book - he was cast as Batman in the animated series, but in the Dark Knight Returns Duology animated films, it was Peter Weller)

Do you let an actress sign a book of a 1st appearance of her team, but technically her character was never in that book? (example 1: Margot Robbie/Harley Quinn signs a Legends #3 book which is the 1st appearance of Suicide Squad, but Harley is not a comic book character until 5 years later and was never in the Legends #3 book)

I don't think this applies to Stan Lee. He can sign any damn Marvel book he wants!

Let's discuss! Share your thoughts on these "unspoken ground rules" for signing.
Also, whenever I think of this topic, I remember how Midtown Comics always has Ken Haeser sign and doodle on many books where he isn't involved in (not blanks, mind you). Isn't that weird?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I saw Gary Oldman sign a old Planet of the Apes book someone brought up to him and got witnessed for cgc. I know he was in the last movie but I thought it was kinda weird at first to have him sign that comic.

I have also seen the Dark Horse Aliens comic get signed by various cast of the movie Aliens. Now I know, Michael Biehn is in it and so is Newt ( even if they later changed both of their names in future printings ), so I give them a pass but other actors have signed it.

What bothers me, is sometimes I have had actors sign a book not as their real name but as their characters' name.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think I've gotten such a wide variety of autographs to have really formulated a lot of rules for myself.

I haven't realky had many actors and actresses sign my books. When I do, it tends to be pretty straightforward. BSG actors sign books associated with the continuity they're associated with.

The strangest case for me would be Thomas Jane as the Punisher. I wouldn't ask him to sign my ASM 129 but I gladly had him sign my Wizard Ace Edition of the same book (heck, I'd get Dolph Lungren, Ray Stevenson, and John Bernthal on the same book if I could) and I've been looking for the LGF edition of the book that was released to promote his movie.

I dunno, maybe I reserve original books foe their creative teams, promotional books for the associated actors, and just free-for-all on genrral reprints.

Also, the signature should be visible (no black ink on black background please), if at all possible, the signature should be on a location that disrupts the cover art the least.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I dunno, maybe I reserve original books foe their creative teams, promotional books for the associated actors, and just free-for-all on genrral reprints.

Also, the signature should be visible (no black ink on black background please), if at all possible, the signature should be on a location that disrupts the cover art the least.

Good comments @dielinfinite. It'll be quite easy for modern books to have their creative teams sign, so I also chase voice actors and live-action film actors to sign. Just can't get a definitive rule for that.
Here's one from my collection:

Signed by Terry and Rachel Dodson, then by Susan Eisenberg, who was voice actress for Wonder Woman in the Justice League Animated Series and a few other DC animated films. It's not a Justice League Animated book, but I had her sign it anyway.

Arleen Sorkin (voice of Harley Quinn) should've been more sought after nowadays, but I never see her in guest lists of upcoming Cons in time for Suicide Squad.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'd have been happy to get her autograph on that book.

I guess the way I kind of narrow the pool of what I'd like to have someone sign is something like: is it something the actor's work was closely involved with like an adaptation or continuation of their work or vice versa? Was it an important issue (first appearance, #1 issue, etc) for the character they played? If they're in a group, is it an important issue for that group.

Going back to your example, sure I'd get Margot Robbie to sign a Legends 3 but only if I didn't have say "Suicide Squad the Official Adaption", "Harley's first Suicide Squad Appearance" or "Harley's first New 52 appearance" to have her sign instead
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
These are all good arguments for getting celebrity sigs and such. On the Margot Robbie I would have her sign something new like the past 2 years of Harley Quinn or like they did with Batman V Superman covers they did at Wonder Con. One I always trip out is having the Avengers cast sign issue 1 or 4 from the ailver age. That is just weird for a great book to be aigned by people who were not even born lol.Oh would this be weird because I am going to see him next month. Kevin Conroy sign a The Adventure of Batman?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I guess I kinda feel the same way. An avengers cast signing is something I'd probably use a reprint for.

If you mean one of rhe Batman Adventures books based on the animated series then I think that'd be fine, especially if it was something like the Mask of the Phantasm adaptation. If you meant a different book then I'm not familiar with it so I can't say how weird it'd be.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't even consider anyone from the cast of Walking Dead signing any of the books. In my mind, I see the comic and the show as two different entities. I would rather have them signing a poster.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute_Zero
These are all good arguments for getting celebrity sigs and such. On the Margot Robbie I would have her sign something new like the past 2 years of Harley Quinn or like they did with Batman V Superman covers they did at Wonder Con. One I always trip out is having the Avengers cast sign issue 1 or 4 from the ailver age. That is just weird for a great book to be aigned by people who were not even born lol.Oh would this be weird because I am going to see him next month. Kevin Conroy sign a The Adventure of Batman?

We have the same dilemma. Don't know if I'll get my Batman Adventures #12 signed by Conroy, when:
(a) he's not in the cover, no Batman anywhere aside from the title
(b) it's not a first appearance of his character that he voiced (Batman), but rather Harley Quinn

Also, do you think it's not too weird if I let Conroy sign Any of the Scott Snyder / Greg Capullo books?
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'd do it. Heck, if you're getting it witnessed, I'll send in my copies to get them signed, too lol

Having him sign the snyder/capullo books might be where I draw the line
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Well I want to get one signed by him from the awesome cartoon that I watched as a kid. That's what I want to get. If it was issue 12 I would rather get the voice actress that did Harley, Ivy, and Batgirl. About Conroy signing Snyder/Capullo only if it was sketch cover with them doing a sketch of Batman that he voiced. But thanks for your input.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
These actors charge too much. I'm not into the TV/movie stuff anyway.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
I just had James Marsters sign Spike vs Dracula #1 retailer incentive cover. I did that because it was a photo cover, but would not have if it was art. I also had the artist sign it as well.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I got Stan Lee to sign all my Dark Horse Presents.
Post 14 IP   flag post
This deserves to be in the Autograph Fuss thread!

What do you all think about this case of our fellow hobbyist @meldo24?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldo24
So I had Neal Adams sign my spiderman 1 variant and also had Stan Lee sign well long story short Stan did this
[im
Post 15 IP   flag post
@JazzyJeffie That made me cringe :/ I can understand autographs slightly overlapping but in this case I'd see if it could be authenticated as Staneal Lee Adams
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Stan Lee is the worst for signing like that and also signing books that he had absolutely nothing to do with. But if it says MARVEL he will sign it. Hell he'll sign anything for the money. Just don't touch him.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I wonder how CBCS can verify it, because the ink overlaps obviously.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Also, isn't that a bit disrespectful of Stan to Neal? Might be unintentional (the health / old age excuse), but still...

I know most Comic Book Celebrity Artists and Writers couldn't care less about the books of the fans getting their autographs, but this is just too much!!!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Soma private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeffie

I don't think this applies to Stan Lee. He can sign any damn Marvel book he wants!

it absolutely applies to stan lee.

Ive seen his sig on:
New Mutants #98 (1st Deadpool... nothing to do with it)
NYX #3 (1st X-23... nothing to do with it)
Wolverine #1 (J. Scott Campbell Deadpool Variant... nothing to do with it.)

It bugs me when people get signatures of people who have nothing to do with the book they get signed. Even Stan Lee. Having him sign an X-23 book is no different than having him sign a Superman book, lol.

This one bothers me too... i follow all Joe Madureira books on ebay... and his signature on this book is cringe-y

I couldnt figure out why anyone had him sign, but then i realized that theres a page or 2 preview for Inhuman #1... even I, someone who will buy a book with a single page done by him and have him sign it(Akira #38 pinup,) wouldnt have him sign my spider-man #1 lol.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
I would never have an actor/actress sign my book, that's just odd if you ask me. No offense to those that do though...

For me, I would only want someone directly involved in the making of that book: Artist, inker, writer, editor, etc.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with that 100%. I have only broke my rule once- I had Ian Mcdiarmid sign Return of the Jedi #2 (1st app of the emperor).
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector joelzstuff private msg quote post Address this user
@Soma: I seen some DC Comics Signed by Stan Lee on eBay. there was a New 52 Detective Comics #27 SS CGC by Stan Lee not too long ago. That bugged the hell out of me.

Anyways,

It depends for me, the actors must be known for that character for a long time… like someone said before, I’m not going to have the cast from the walking dead sign my Walking Dead #1… the characters come and go.

BUT, I have gotten Adam West and Burt Ward to sign my Oreo Giveaway of Detective Comics #27. I also have gotten Billy Dee Williams to sign my Star Wars #1, 66, & 107. I would like to get an Evil Dead signed by Bruce Campbell and a Batman 66’ signed by West & Ward again.

Post 23 IP   flag post
601238 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?