Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Jim Starlin refuses to work with CGC2834

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Does the plumber who does $5,000 worth of work, that now makes my house worth $20,000 more, deserve his cut...?
Again: if the painter paints my house for $5,000, and it adds $25,000 to the value of the house...am I going to give the painter his "cut"? Is the painter going to charge me more because I'm selling the house?
No and no. It's none of his business. He gives me a price, and he paints the house. The house is not his, he does not own it, he does not maintain it, and he has no stake in it. He does not charge me a higher price because he knows I'm selling it.
What I do with the house after he has worked on it is none of his business...

It's an analysis done before sale.
I'm very sorry to inform you, but the answer to your question is YES, they ARE going to charge you more, if you are willing to pay it, based on what you are going to do with it after the fact among many other things. A painter/plumber is not going to work for the same price in every single town or neighborhood; flat rate pricing in business is mostly reserved for items where it is not worth doing a price analysis (in the case of a plumber, that would be an hourly service call).

This is what makes our country great. One has the right (and usually the intelligence) to charge whatever they please, based on any information at hand, and yes, on an individual case-by-case basis. In order to maximize profits, one must analyze many things, including how much the customer is willing to spend, how much they will benefit from services, even their personality, and base price accordingly. If they don't like it, and want everything to be "fair", they can either whine to their liberal political representative, or move to a different country; likely a communist one that fits more into their beliefs.

If you want a veritable "piece" of someone (signature, opinion, service, etc.), they do have the right to charge whatever they please, based on whatever information they feel affects their price; thus "what you are going to do with it afterward", or any other piece of information, IS literally their business (but you of course have no obligation to be upfront or truthful about it; 'tis the game of cutting a deal).

Thus is the USA free market.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

I'm very sorry to inform you, but the answer to your question is YES, they ARE going to charge you more, if you are willing to pay it, based on what you are going to do with it after the fact among many other things. A painter/plumber is not going to work for the same price in every single town or neighborhood; flat rate pricing in business is mostly reserved for items where it is not worth doing a price analysis (in the case of a plumber, that would be an hourly service call).

This is what makes our country great. One has the right (and usually the intelligence) to charge whatever they please, based on any information at hand, and yes, on an individual case-by-case basis. In order to maximize profits, one must analyze many things, including how much the customer is willing to spend, how much they will benefit from services, even their personality, and base price accordingly. If they don't like it, and want everything to be "fair", they can either whine to their liberal political representative, or move to a different country; likely a communist one that fits more into their beliefs.

If you want a veritable "piece" of someone (signature, opinion, service, etc.), they do have the right to charge whatever they please, based on whatever information they feel affects their price; thus "what you are going to do with it afterward", or any other piece of information, IS literally their business (but you of course have no obligation to be upfront or truthful about it; 'tis the game of cutting a deal).

and

Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
And some one here chose to *snicker snicker* denigrate Neal Adams "charging" a few bucks just to look in his direction.

It was a joke and a pretty funny one, too. I don't think it was denigrating Neal Adams, just poking fun at the charging for signature scenarious. Neal Adams is awesome, I think it is great he is such a fixture at cons these days.
Post 128 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
While some parties involved have gone out of their way to invite criticism one of the great things about this hobby has been the people that participate. The whining and finger-pointing about
those who seek witnessed signatures or graded books really says a lot more about the whiners than the people who are excited about adding these books to their collections.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Does the plumber who does $5,000 worth of work, that now makes my house worth $20,000 more, deserve his cut...?
Again: if the painter paints my house for $5,000, and it adds $25,000 to the value of the house...am I going to give the painter his "cut"? Is the painter going to charge me more because I'm selling the house?
No and no. It's none of his business. He gives me a price, and he paints the house. The house is not his, he does not own it, he does not maintain it, and he has no stake in it. He does not charge me a higher price because he knows I'm selling it.

I'm very sorry to inform you, but the answer to your question is YES, they ARE going to charge you more, if you are willing to pay it, based on what you are going to do with it after the fact among many other things.

Not true. Sorry. The plumber doesn't ask you what you're planning to do with the house. It's none of their business. And, if they did, most rational people would consider that nosiness, and potentially

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB
A painter/plumber is not going to work for the same price in every single town or neighborhood; flat rate pricing in business is mostly reserved for items where it is not worth doing a price analysis (in the case of a plumber, that would be an hourly service call).

No one said anything about "flat rate pricing."

No one said anything about pricing for different towns or neighborhoods.

A plumber is not going to charge a different rate for YOUR HOUSE based on what you plan to do with YOUR HOUSE afterwards. It's none of their business. And they're not going to charge a different price for identical, or near-identical work, either ("identical" being the operative word, there.) And if they do, it's time to find a different plumber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB

"One has the right to charge what they please" is a red herring in this discussion, designed to muddy the argument. The discussion has nothing whatsoever to do with the RIGHT to charge what one pleases. That's not the issue, and never has been, because no one's ever disputed that.

The issue is WHY people are charging DIFFERENT prices for the same service, and if that difference is based on ignorance, it would be smart economics to figure that out and adjust accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB

Not the issue, and I do find it interesting that some keep making this argument, because no one disagrees with this. I have never, in the many years this topic has been discussed, ever seen anyone make the argument that someone doesn't have the right to charge what they want, not once, ever.

Yet, some people keep making that argument as if people have.

It's not about having the right to charge whatever one wants, for whatever reason one wants.

It's about why they are charging what they are, and if that reasoning is based on ignorance or awareness.

Big difference.
Post 130 IP   flag post

Quote:
A plumber is not going to charge a different rate for YOUR HOUSE based on what you plan to do with YOUR HOUSE afterwards. It's none of their business. And they're not going to charge a different price for identical, or near-identical work, either ("identical" being the operative word, there.) And if they do, it's time to find a different plumber.

I spend over 2 million a year on plumbing alone. What you have stated is not true, not even in the slightest. The most common price differences are residential vs commercial, new construction vs remodeling, and yes, even difficult customers. It IS their business to figure out how much they can charge on any given project. If it weren't, the bid process would not exist (we could just plug in pre-canned numbers, how wonderful that would be!).

Quote:
It's about why they are charging what they are, and if that reasoning is based on ignorance or awareness.

I get it. You do not agree with their reasoning, and judge them ignorant for it. I, however, judge them intelligent for looking at the market and getting their piece of profits where they can.
Post 131 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Quote:
And, by the way, if everyone is so concerned about the artists getting "their cut", why not approach them and assist them in slabbing their own books...?

For the same reason Ferrari doesn't own their own car dealerships. A signature carries a low overhead cost, just a handful of Sharpies and a few hours of their time.

That's a faulty analogy. Creators aren't publishers, nor are they retailers. You cut out the rest of the statement, which carried the context. If creators are concerned with someone "profiting" off their signature, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of people who are more than willing to help them profit themselves off their own property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCC
It's not the artist who are at fault here, it's speculators who are playing the market.

So, the artist charges a DIFFERENT PRICE for the SAME SERVICE, based on what the artist erroneously thinks is happening with the product of that service...but it's the "speculators" (who have nothing whatsoever to do with this process) who are "playing the market" who are at fault...?

How does that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCC
There are tons of things in this world that are priced based upon their resell value, including your house. Something as simple as the faucet in your house is priced upon what value it adds to your house. A Moen faucet, on average, costs no more to produce than an American Standard faucet, but a Moen will cost more, on average, based upon the value it adds.

This is faulty reasoning, and does not apply to this situation.

The price for a Moen faucet is set by the retailers selling it. Yes, the faucet is priced based upon its quality, but the price doesn't change based on the end-user's ultimate plans for that faucet, or the fixture it's going in.

Home Depot doesn't ask me at the time of purchase what I plan to do with the faucet, and then charge me a different price based on the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCC
Same thing with many flooring products. Bamboo flooring is extremely cheap to produce, and easy to find, but costs as much as red oak, but bamboo typically adds a greater resale value since it's the "in" thing to do.

Again, not relevant to this discussion. Lowe's doesn't CHANGE THE PRICE at checkout based on what you ultimately plan to do with house into which the flooring is installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCC
You can buy a car with he exact same features, but it's priced can be lower or higher based upon the colour. A red minivan sells for less than pearl blue, but a red Mustang sells for more than a pearl blue Mustang. All of this is based upon aftermarket sales and has nothing to do with the cost of paint.

Again, not relevant to this discussion. The price of the red car is based on the fact that it is already red, and the price for that car doesn't change based on what the buyer intends to do with the car.

This discussion isn't at all about the pricing of DIFFERENT features. This discussion is about DIFFERENT prices for the SAME service based on someone's (almost entirely erroneous) perception of what you, the customer, intend to do with the results afterwards.

Aren't you an economist...?
Post 132 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer Imagine a world where plumbers used that kind of logic to set their rates. The housing market would never be the same.
Post 133 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
....and yet....after all this discussion.... at this weekends comicon... I can rest assured knowing I will have two pricing options for some of the artists. We can all gripe one way or the other. It doesn't matter. Legally they can do what they want. I for one support it yet I understand why others wouldnt
Post 134 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@shrewbeer Imagine a world where plumbers used that kind of logic to set their rates. The housing market would never be the same.

LOL yep Its called government and state housing! Rates are fixed, job goes to the lowest bidder, and the projects end up low quality that takes years to complete!
Post 135 IP   flag post
Quote:
Again, not relevant to this discussion. Lowe's doesn't CHANGE THE PRICE at checkout based on what you ultimately plan to do with house into which the flooring is installed.
Quote:
Home Depot doesn't ask me at the time of purchase what I plan to do with the faucet, and then charge me a different price based on the answer.

You're talking retail vs service. Its not apples to apples. Its apples to mud.

However, in retail, you WILL also see price differences based on location, and not simply because it costs more for the retailer. Some of those prices are based on what they believe they can get in that particular neighborhood.
Post 136 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I spend over 2 million a year on plumbing alone. What you have stated is not true, not even in the slightest. The most common price differences are residential vs commercial, new construction vs remodeling, and yes, even difficult customers. It IS their business to figure out how much they can charge on any given project. If it weren't, the bid process would not exist (we could just plug in pre-canned numbers, how wonderful that would be!).

I don't think you're reading what I've written, or you're not understanding it.

The price differences you're talking about have to do with DIFFERENT FACTORS. No one is saying that DIFFERENT FACTORS don't affect the price.

No one has said it isn't their business to figure out how much they can charge on any given project.

I said the price doesn't CHANGE for a SPECIFIC customer, based on what the plumber thinks that customer intends to do with the house after the fact.

Here, maybe this exchange will help:

Plumber: "This job will cost $7,000 in labor, materials, and permits. Unless you're planning to sell the house. In that case, it will be $20,000."

Customer: "I'm sorry, but you're saying the exact same work will cost me a different, and much more expensive, price based on what you think I'm going to be doing with this house after you're done with the work...? Please leave. Thanks."

That's what creators are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB
Quote:

I get it. You do not agree with their reasoning, and judge them ignorant for it. I, however, judge them intelligent for looking at the market and getting their piece of profits where they can.

No. I judge them ignorant because they don't understand the issue, not because I "don't agree with their reasoning."

Do you understand the issue...? I don't think you do.

Here, perhaps this will help:

I get Marv Wolfman to sign a TTT #44. He charges $20 for "grading." He believes that everything he signs is now "worth more", and therefore, he deserves a "cut."

It comes back a 6.5. I have "lost money" if I intended to resell it. A 6.5 isn't worth the cost to grade it, much less the $20 fee Marv charges. His signature added nothing.

Marv doesn't understand that it is the CONDITION OF THE ITEM to which his signature is applied that is the vast majority of its value. That's ignorance.

These creators ignorantly (and I use that in its real, not pejorative, meaning) believe things that aren't true, and are making economic decisions based on that ignorance.

Hopefully that clears it up.
Post 137 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're talking retail vs service. Its not apples to apples. Its apples to mud.

However, in retail, you WILL also see price differences based on location, and not simply because it costs more for the retailer. Some of those prices are based on what they believe they can get in that particular neighborhood.

No, OCC was talking GOODS (not "retail" ) vs. service. I only answered his points.

Price difference based on location is not relevant to this discussion. No one is making that argument.
Post 138 IP   flag post
Quote:
I said the price doesn't CHANGE for a SPECIFIC customer, based on what the plumber thinks that customer intends to do with the house after the fact.

Yes, it does.

If I know I'm bidding a project because the owner is intending to sell, my price GOES DOWN. For the same exact work. Otherwise I cannot compete in the market, as that market is different.

I can get two different numbers from the same plumber or painter for the same exact work they did 10 miles away, but the circumstances of the project are different.
Post 139 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm very sorry to inform you, but the answer to your question is YES, they ARE going to charge you more, if you are willing to pay it, based on what you are going to do with it after the fact among many other things.

Not true. Sorry. The plumber doesn't ask you what you're planning to do with the house. It's none of their business. And, if they did, most rational people would consider that nosiness, and potentially

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB
A painter/plumber is not going to work for the same price in every single town or neighborhood; flat rate pricing in business is mostly reserved for items where it is not worth doing a price analysis (in the case of a plumber, that would be an hourly service call).

No one said anything about "flat rate pricing."

No one said anything about pricing for different towns or neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB

"One has the right to charge what they please" is a red herring in this discussion, designed to muddy the argument. The discussion has nothing whatsoever to do with the RIGHT to charge what one pleases. That's not the issue, and never has been, because no one's ever disputed that.

The issue is WHY people are charging DIFFERENT prices for the same service, and if that difference is based on ignorance, it would be smart economics to figure that out and adjust accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB

Not the issue, and I do find it interesting that some keep making this argument, because no one disagrees with this. I have never, in the many years this topic has been discussed, ever seen anyone make the argument that someone doesn't have the right to charge what they want, not once, ever.

Yet, some people keep making that argument as if people have.

It's not about having the right to charge whatever one wants, for whatever reason one wants.

Big difference.

The only "WHY" people really need is because they can.

Is it always fair? No, but that doesn't really matter.

It's obvious they're cashing in, but then again until that signature is on your book, the signature is still their property. They can justify selling their property just like many on here are justifying what they do with their property.
Post 140 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

LOL yep Its called government and state housing! Rates are fixed, job goes to the lowest bidder, and the projects end up low quality that takes years to complete!

Notice how areas of government involvement have all of the inflation:

Education
Health Care
Housing
Post 141 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And, by the way, if everyone is so concerned about the artists getting "their cut", why not approach them and assist them in slabbing their own books...?

For the same reason Ferrari doesn't own their own car dealerships. A signature carries a low overhead cost, just a handful of Sharpies and a few hours of their time.

That's a faulty analogy. Creators aren't publishers, nor are they retailers. You cut out the rest of the statement, which carried the context. If creators are concerned with someone "profiting" off their signature, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of people who are more than willing to help them profit themselves off their own property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCC
It's not the artist who are at fault here, it's speculators who are playing the market.

So, the artist charges a DIFFERENT PRICE for the SAME SERVICE, based on what the artist erroneously thinks is happening with the product of that service...but it's the "speculators" (who have nothing whatsoever to do with this process) who are "playing the market" who are at fault...?

How does that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCC
There are tons of things in this world that are priced based upon their resell value, including your house. Something as simple as the faucet in your house is priced upon what value it adds to your house. A Moen faucet, on average, costs no more to produce than an American Standard faucet, but a Moen will cost more, on average, based upon the value it adds.

This is faulty reasoning, and does not apply to this situation.

The price for a Moen faucet is set by the retailers selling it. Yes, the faucet is priced based upon its quality, but the price doesn't change based on the end-user's ultimate plans for that faucet, or the fixture it's going in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCC
Same thing with many flooring products. Bamboo flooring is extremely cheap to produce, and easy to find, but costs as much as red oak, but bamboo typically adds a greater resale value since it's the "in" thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCC
You can buy a car with he exact same features, but it's priced can be lower or higher based upon the colour. A red minivan sells for less than pearl blue, but a red Mustang sells for more than a pearl blue Mustang. All of this is based upon aftermarket sales and has nothing to do with the cost of paint.

Again, not relevant to this discussion. The price of the red car is based on the fact that it is already red, and the price for that car doesn't change based on what the buyer intends to do with the car.

This discussion isn't at all about the pricing of DIFFERENT features. This discussion is about DIFFERENT prices for the SAME service based on someone's (almost entirely erroneous) perception of what you, the customer, intend to do with the results afterwards.

They don't have to ask you, that cost is already built in to the price of the goods.

Yes, I have PhD in Economics.
Post 142 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I got really confused on the topic of Jim Starlin not working with CGC becoming an argument of painters, plumbers and whatever after that. And mind you, I don't have a Pee-ech-deee in ekonomiks, hell, I can' even spell echnecronomicon. I do know this, if my house is flooded because I destroyed the toilet, I have many, many plumbers in my area I can get service for. And if I wanted to get a Jim Starlin's signature on my book, I can't get Greg Land or Gingerzapp to be a Jim Starlin signature signer. If Jim, or anyone for that matter (Stan Lee), or Neal, wanting to charge $3 for them to blow you a kiss or sign their names, they have the right to do so. It is up to you to decide whether to take it or leave it. It's supply and demand. We are all here for one thing: feasting on our addiction. Cheers
Post 143 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The argument that "a creator is free to charge whatever they want, to whomever they want, for whatever reason they want, and it's no one's business but THEIRS" is a spurious one.

Once someone offers something for sale...in this case, a signature...it is no longer "THEIR business."

It becomes subject to public discussion and negotiation.

Just like if I was offering my house for sale. The potential buyers now have the right to question my price, or whether the foundation is solid, or the A/C has leaks, etc.

That's how it works.

If I'm not selling it, it's no one's business but my own.

If I'm selling it, the buying pool has the right to question how, why, where, when, and what.

That said...charging a different price for the same service...in this case, a signature...based on the perception of what someone might do with their property afterwards...is not only no one's business, but also quite rude.

...even if he signs it, which he better not do, unless his name is Jeff Koons, in which case, I hope he does. How much less so an artist who had nothing to do with preserving the particular copy that I'd like him to simply sign...?

Charge whatever you wish. The market will bear what it will bear. But don't alienate your fans because of your misunderstanding that people are "profiting" off of your signature by charging a premium for your signature based on where you think it might end up.

Why is the argument spurious? You yourself say later in your post that they are free to charge what they want.

I agree that the market will bear what it will bear, as you say. Creators are free to charge what they want and to upcharge if they want. We fans are free to not pay if we don't want to.

As I have written several times in this thread. There is a clear misunderstanding by many creators of the practices of the grading companies and motivations of most fans. Hopefully there is a plan to get them better educated.
Post 144 IP   flag post
Quote:

Actually, a good contractor or consultant would ask you what you are doing and why, so they can better advise you as to materials to use, how to do the job, or even if to do the job.
Post 145 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Again...their right to do has never been in question, and never will be. Yet for some reason it keeps coming up as the answer, but that question wasn't posed, and never will be.
Post 146 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Again...their right to do has never been in question, and never will be. Yet for some reason it keeps coming up as the answer, but that question wasn't posed, and never will be.

Correct. The question seems to be whether or not it is their business to know. It is neither their right to know. But it is in their best business interest to find out, and adjust price accordingly
Post 147 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to prefer Kohler over Moen
Post 148 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar

Actually, a good contractor or consultant would ask you what you are doing and why, so they can better advise you as to materials to use, how to do the job, or even if to do the job.

Post 149 IP   flag post
@drchaos Too funny. I almost forgot how much I love that movie. Rewatch Clerks is on my to do list for this weekend.
Post 150 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
I tend to prefer Kohler over Moen

I prefer grohe.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

Correct. The question seems to be whether or not it is their business to know. It is neither their right to know. But it is in their best business interest to find out, and adjust price accordingly

So, like, your analogy seems to have been proven to be a good one. Bet that felt like this...

Post 152 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

They don't have to ask you, that cost is already built in to the price of the goods.

Yes, I have PhD in Economics.

Post 153 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
And some one here chose to *snicker snicker* denigrate Neal Adams "charging" a few bucks just to look in his direction.

It was a joke and a pretty funny one, too. I don't think it was denigrating Neal Adams, just poking fun at the charging for signature scenarious. Neal Adams is awesome, I think it is great he is such a fixture at cons these days.

In any other circumstance yes I agree your quip is indeed full of humorous merit. Even now, to an extent remains funny. But it also might leave one with the thought Neal is all about the money - and nothing else.

Then he comes along and gives my daughter an intensely beautiful Batman which went into a benefit auction for her via Russ Cochran which helped her a lot once it sold.

And it is great he is such a fixture at the shows nationwide.
Post 154 IP   flag post
LOL @Towmater , killin the gifs today
Post 155 IP   flag post
601487 264 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?