Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Jim Starlin refuses to work with CGC2834

Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
One way I can see the issue of ASP/VSP evolving is if the grading companies gave a kickback to the artists for each book with their signature like a royalty of sorts.

I think if even a small amount of the ASP(maybe even VSP) fees went to the artists directly they may be more interested in this service.

Just an idea.
Post 251 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
BLBComics (Bob) asked me to share with everyone the fact that we suspended him for a week. In particular, he wanted Towmater to know that he understands that you support Starlin. He will respond to all queries after his suspension is up.
Post 252 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Super.
Post 253 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Super.

Duper.

Puttin on the Ritz.
Post 254 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Dont mess with the man wielding Gungnir!

Post 255 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 256 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Super.

Duper.

Puttin on the Ritz.

Trying hard to look like Gary Cooper.
Post 257 IP   flag post
Collector Nino_013 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bythegram
One way I can see the issue of ASP/VSP evolving is if the grading companies gave a kickback to the artists for each book with their signature like a royalty of sorts.

I think if even a small amount of the ASP(maybe even VSP) fees went to the artists directly they may be more interested in this service.

Just an idea.

Royalties for what exactly? CGC/CBCS are not the ones making the money on the sales of the books. They charge an extra (nominal) fee for their witness/VSP services.
Post 258 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@Nino_013 Since most people who use the ASP program don't mind paying the $ 5.00 fee for a yellow label; artist should charge at least that much per signature and limit it the amount of signatures to 2 books per person. The artist gets paid, CBCS gets paid, the fan gets a book for their collection, and the line doesn't get bogged down by the knuckleheads that want 20+ books signed for free.
Post 259 IP   flag post
Yeah absolutely. If the artist wants to charge a sig fee to the customer and limit the sigs they do, then yeah its their prerogative man.
Post 260 IP   flag post
Obviously some artist just dont understand how the market works.
Post 261 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
I believe this whole mess is uncalled for. The idea of a seller making any money off a starlin signsture has to do with the grade of the book, not his signature. This whole scenario is just sad.
Post 262 IP   flag post
Collector PeteN private msg quote post Address this user
For me, I am really curious to see if Starlin pursued further what his legal recourse would be, if companies continue to "witness" his signature. As right of publicity varies by state, here in CA where I am at, there is a civil code indicating it is "unlawful, for the purpose of advertising or selling, to knowingly use another’s name, voice, signature, photograph, or likeness without that person’s prior consent." If a causal link between a company witnessing a signature equates to "advertising and selling", could be argued, that would be far reaching into other hobbies.
Post 263 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
There is no witnessing without consent. Witnesses are required to identify themselves and honor the wishes and rules of each signer. At least that is the CBCS policy.
Post 264 IP   flag post
596794 264 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?