Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgePop CultureQuestions

Your personal Holy Grail?2723

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
So, what book do you want in your collection most of all?

I'm building my collection up to one day sell them all in exchange for an Amazing Fantasy #15.

In the meantime, however, I really want a higher grade Tales of Suspense #52. I have a CGC 4.0, but I'd love to upgrade to an 8.0 or higher.

Black Widow is my favorite character aside from Spidey, & I wouldn't sell that book in the AF 15 exchange.

What about you guys? What are you chasing? I know &kaptainmyke is close to his TMNT #1, 1st print goal.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Not even close.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Sorry to hear that. Someday!
Post 3 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
If it exists...STUNTMAN #3.

mm
Post 4 IP   flag post
@martymann I was unfamiliar with Stuntman #3. After looking it up, that's very interesting. Only mailed to subscribers? Why? And there couldn't be too many subscribers for that title, especially since they only released two issues prior to that.

Very cool little oddity.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I have A.D.D. I can't stay focused on "one grail" very long.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
What do you call a pod of grails?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
What do you call a pod of grails?

A Grouping of Grails?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Sounds good to me.
Post 9 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Mine is this. I've never owned a copy but have been a Legion fan since my early days of collecting. Superboy #197 was where I started.

I'll pull the trigger one of these days.

Post 10 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

mm

It does exist, Heritage sold a good plus copy in 2003. Unlike the first two issues it is black and white.

My only copy from the series is a 9.0 copy of issue 1.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know if I would go as far as to say it is the conic I want most of all but I really would like to havr a High Grade copy of Forbidden Tales of the Dark Mansion signed by the late Wes Craven if it even exists.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Mine is this. I've never owned a copy but have been a Legion fan since my early days of collecting. Superboy #197 was where I started.

I'll pull the trigger one of these days.

How many of those have passed through your hands through the years of being in this business? Have you ever thought of looking up the owner to see if they wanted to sell once a copy came across your desk that really got your attention?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Came close to this one once long ago. Likely will never get another shot.

New Fun Comics #2

Post 14 IP   flag post
I'd like a glimpse into @SteveRicketts personal collection.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
The thing with Threads like this is i think sometimes folks are reluctant to post for fear of being 'punish bid' when said grail surfaces
One i won't say as it comes up for auction this week on Comic Connect (wish me luck), but two that have eluded me for a while are Speed Comics #22 and Four Favorites #6
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Lunarshade private msg quote post Address this user
My grail would be a Journey into Mystery 85 UK edition. I have some good stuff so if I don't get it I wont complain.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I've been saving for years, and will have to for several more, but I'll own a copy of this book before I die. Restored, unrestored, I don't care. It's my all-time favorite Batman cover.

Post 18 IP   flag post
A VF to NM Savage Tales #1 is also high on the list. Whenever I have the extra cash, I just can't find one. It's not an easy one to find in high grade, especially in shops or at Cons.

Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
A VF to NM Savage Tales #1 is also high on the list. Whenever I have the extra cash, I just can't find one. It's not an easy one to find in high grade, especially in shops or at Cons.

High on my list too. I have never even actually seen one. In fact I think it is a myth. How can a book that supposedly got made in my lifetime not even cross my path even once in 30+ years?
Post 20 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann

mm

It does exist, Heritage sold a good plus copy in 2003. Unlike the first two issues it is black and white.

My only copy from the series is a 9.0 copy of issue 1.

That appears to be the only copy ever seen!

mm
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Oxbladder I haven't seen one either. Not even lower grade. However, I've only been actively looking for it for a few years. I'll settle for a mid grade copy as a space holder if/when I get the opportunity. I see early issues from time to time, but not #1.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@00slim yeah I think I will likely have to settle for a mid grade, too. Hopefully soon.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Original Art Cover for any of the key Silver Age comics would be my grail. But those are locked away somewhere never to be sold.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarshade
My grail would be a Journey into Mystery 85 UK edition. I have some good stuff so if I don't get it I wont complain.

I have a nice 7.5 - if I decide to sell it,I will keep you in mind.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Lunarshade @Mio

Why the U.K. edition? Is it just rarer?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Lunarshade @Mio

Why the U.K. edition? Is it just rarer?

About 15-20 times rarer. Also something interesting about how it was early days of exporting pop culture. I also get a laugh out of the arguments against them, dismissing them as unworthy foreign edition.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarshade

I have a nice 7.5 - if I decide to sell it,I will keep you in mind.

Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Oxbladder I haven't seen one either. Not even lower grade. However, I've only been actively looking for it for a few years. I'll settle for a mid grade copy as a space holder if/when I get the opportunity. I see early issues from time to time, but not #1.

I'm confused. Are you talking about #1 or #3? MartyMann was talking about #3.

There are a few #1's around. I have an CGC 8.0 #1. A Gerber 6.

I too would love a #3 and have never seen one. I didn't know until this thread that #3 is black and white.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Sometimes you look for the grail and sometimes the grail finds you.

I just picked this up in an auction minutes ago.

Easily the most I have ever spent on one book but boy was it worth it.

Post 30 IP   flag post
601502 53 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?