Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection Thread #22223

Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
I got a few more for the collection:

Question, on the CGC Slab, there is a ComicLink sticker. Is this what they do for all the books bought off that site? Seems like a crappy thing to do.

Uncanny #115 CGC 8.0

Raw Uncanny #124 + #125 (124 is signed by John Byrne on 1st page.

Post 626 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Mail call. Gene Colan Iron Man. eBay find.
Post 627 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorneArt
Question, on the CGC Slab, there is a ComicLink sticker. Is this what they do for all the books bought off that site? Seems like a crappy thing to do.

Yes, and that alone is a big deterrent for me buying from them. I can't get those stickers off without leaving some residue or scratching the slab. Does anyone have a proven/safe method? So annoying.
Post 628 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

Won the set of these at auction this week. I think I got an ok deal, considering the Sups 75 was thrown in. ASM 252 has a few ticks, but all barely break color and the pages are white. A press could bring this up to 9.2.

Another checked off my "Comics to Acquire in '18" list.
Post 629 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

Is it me just me? or is that 9.8 a gift on that book?

In terms of what?

Well, I know the discussion about miscuts have been beat to death. I personally would dock a full grade for the mis cut(the 6 is virtually missing) A mute point as we know TPGers don't downgrade for it.

The right side edge from the Price Logo to the Purple guy looks a bit discolored? Maybe just the scan.

Regardless its a Very cool book.

John
Post 630 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorneArt
I got a few more for the collection:

Uncanny #115 CGC 8.0

Raw Uncanny #124 + #125 (124 is signed by John Byrne on 1st page.

Nice Looking Books!

I refuse to buy books that have had the slab ruined by stickers like this. Its just stupid to plaster your proprietary sticker on a slab. I won't buy from ComicLink.
Post 631 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is it me just me? or is that 9.8 a gift on that book?

In terms of what?

Well, I know the discussion about miscuts have been beat to death. I personally would dock a full grade for the mis cut(the 6 is virtually missing) A mute point as we know TPGers don't downgrade for it.

The right side edge from the Price Logo to the Purple guy looks a bit discolored? Maybe just the scan.

Regardless its a Very cool book.

John

Just then scan, yeah I am lucky that the grade it not according to your grading scale 😜
Post 632 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@poka @BigRedOne1944 Ok fellas, after following your back & forth, the newbie has a question:

Older DC books have the title along the spine; depending on the thickness of the book it can be curved or occasionally be squared off. Does the location of that make a difference in grade? Is it a manufacturing thing, based on how the books were handled, or something else?

On the book Poka posted the "spine data" (I lack technical knowledge of proper term) is rolled completely to the front of the book, like its part of the cover. I have a few older DC books where its along the spine, and a couple where it leans towards the back cover.

Any information would be appreciated; I'm trying to learn things where I can
Post 633 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BabaLament - I think you are mixing up the terms spine roll and off center or miscut covers. If you own an Overstreet Price Guide, there is a definitions section that covers lots of comic terminology. In short, a spine roll is a use defect that causes the comic pages to not line up anymore and will negatively impact the grade of a book. A miscut or off center cover is a printing defect that can negatively impact the visual appearance of the comic (more so to some collectors than others - John, you know whom I am talking about lol), but usually doesn’t hurt the grade.
Post 634 IP   flag post
@esaravo agree.
Post 635 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@BabaLament - I think you are mixing up the terms spine roll and off center or miscut covers. If you own an Overstreet Price Guide, there is a definitions section that covers lots of comic terminology. In short, a spine roll is a use defect that causes the comic pages to not line up anymore and will negatively impact the grade of a book. A miscut or off center cover is a printing defect that can negatively impact the visual appearance of the comic (more so to some collectors than others - John, you know whom I am talking about lol), but usually doesn’t hurt the grade.

I agree also with Ed's assessment. I would also add that there is a "Gray" area among collectors that has been discussed at length.

#1 There are those that do not mind the "off Centered" covers.

#2 There are those that can tolerate "Off Center" covers if they are not to severe and evenly straight the entire length of the spine.

#3 There are those who feel that it does effect the grade regardless of what TPGers(CGC/CBCS)say. At the very least it effects the ascetics and how the book presents and thus making it a less desirable copy regardless of the numerical grade.

I am personally in Camp #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@poka @BigRedOne1944 Ok fellas, after following your back & forth, the newbie has a question:

Older DC books have the title along the spine; depending on the thickness of the book it can be curved or occasionally be squared off. Does the location of that make a difference in grade? Is it a manufacturing thing, based on how the books were handled, or something else?

On the book Poka posted the "spine data" (I lack technical knowledge of proper term) is rolled completely to the front of the book, like its part of the cover. I have a few older DC books where its along the spine, and a couple where it leans towards the back cover.

Any information would be appreciated; I'm trying to learn things where I can

Your reference to books with square bound spines; such as Giant sized, Annuals, etc.. is very similar, but can also involve unique variables depending on the books particular binding process. Some are staple Spines and some are glued spines.

If it is a glued square bound book I prefer not to see any of the Spine text while viewing the front cover straight on. I don't believe that the glued square bound books are as susceptible to being off centered as they are to falling prey to spine roll.

Stapled spines are a different story, Especially if they have a "Print Spine" (see Poka's Superman Book) I don't believe that is a square bound book and almost has to display that way by design. I could be wrong here and maybe poka could shed a bit more light on this. Poka? The Superman book is a stapled spine book, is it not?

Out
John
Post 636 IP   flag post
Today was a good day for my Amazing Spiderman Run.

This was the last issue I needed to complete #150 to #350

The two part Juggernaught storyline has always be very popular and the issues
always seem to be pricy. For that reason I have often passed on the book.
Being a nit pickin condition junkie it seems my patience paid off!

The book far exceeded my expectations, and that don't happen very often with me.
The $15 was also a song of a deal on it considering its nice high grade.

OK OK I'll quit bloviating .......

Just a SUPER Beautiful book! Whoo Whooooo!
Post 637 IP   flag post
Quote:

Stapled spines are a different story, Especially if they have a "Print Spine" (see Poka's Superman Book) I don't believe that is a square bound book and almost has to display that way by design. I could be wrong here and maybe poka could shed a bit more light on this. Poka? The Superman book is a stapled spine book, is it not?

Out
John

Yeah - staple spine - 52 pages. just totally miscut (quite a few of this issue are miscut). Here is a picture of one which is not
Post 638 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
#1 There are those that do not mind the "off Centered" covers.

#2 There are those that can tolerate "Off Center" covers if the are not to severe and evenly straight the entire length of the spine.

#3 There are those who feel that it does effect the grade regardless of what TPGers(CGC/CBCS)say. At the very least it effects the ascetics and how the book presents and thus making it a less desirable copy regardless of the numerical grade.

Very interesting topic. Prof Graders consider "damage", while some collectors want to consider defects as well; the difference being one is done after sale and one before sale.

An off-cut cover *should affect price/value, but should not effect the grade as it does not in the eyes of prof graders. For some reason people don't seem to care anymore. I suspect it is an example of people simply "buying the grade" rather than the book, and thus the negative sentiment has mostly gone away for miscut covers.
Post 639 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Damn. Just bought a Romita Sr sketch. I probably shouldn't have spent the money but I couldn't pass it up. I'll share a pic when I have it in hand.
Post 640 IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user

I was happy to have added to my Conan Run, but im not sure how much longer I can hold out on starting in on the Savage Sword of Conan Series. Just some phenomenal work done on those mags! The Boris Valleo Covers are incredible, as well as the many later Joe Jusko Painted covers. I just have to have them in my collection!!!!

Out
John

I'm just trying to complete my run in un-graded for both the regular Conan series and Savage Sword. I'm missing 16 issues on the Conan the Barbarian run and 24 on the Savage Sword. Joe Jusko has been at the last 2 cons in Toronto and I've had him sign a few things for me. I'm hoping he's going to be at the next one in March so I can get more of his covers signed
Post 641 IP   flag post
Collector HammitChris private msg quote post Address this user
I picked up a couple of signed books that I am hoping to get pressed and send in to CBCS for the verified red label:

Star Trek Annual 4 (signed by Leonard Nimoy)

I Dream of Jeannie (signed by Barbara Eden)

Post 642 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Finally got this back from Matt at Trinity. Had it sent to my parents in Florida as shipping is a lot cheaper then having it sent to Canada. So happy it got the grade it did. Can't wait to put it up

Post 643 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I just got this back from the artist!

The front, you guys have seen before

It went from this

To This (now signed by Jimmy Palmiotti and Joe Quesada)

He finished the back cover, taking this

To This

I especially loved that he didn't just try to recreate the appearance of the original covers

Post 644 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@farseer Jusko’s one of my favorite artists! I’ll probably start gathering his John Carter covers soon
Post 645 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammitChris
I picked up a couple of signed books that I am hoping to get pressed and send in to CBCS for the verified red label:

Im not familiar with the Jeannie Book. It is very cool. What is the issue date on that book?
Post 646 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by farseer

Bigredone1944 "I was happy to have added to my Conan Run, but im not sure how much longer I can hold out on starting in on the Savage Sword of Conan Series. Just some phenomenal work done on those mags! The Boris Valleo Covers are incredible, as well as the many later Joe Jusko Painted covers. I just have to have them in my collection!!!!"

Out
John

I'm just trying to complete my run in un-graded for both the regular Conan series and Savage Sword. I'm missing 16 issues on the Conan the Barbarian run and 24 on the Savage Sword. Joe Jusko has been at the last 2 cons in Toronto and I've had him sign a few things for me. I'm hoping he's going to be at the next one in March so I can get more of his covers signed

Congratulations on getting that close on both of those Conan runs, which are fairly large runs.

My goal with the "Conan The Barbarian" Title is Issues #1-#100. The problem I often encounter as a ocd condition freak, is finding high quality books with centered covers that fit my criteria. It seems sometimes I get so condition sensitive that I often have trouble pulling the trigger on books on my want list. Patience is hard, but it does pay off as it did with my latest addition to the run.....

A beautiful book that really met all of my expectations! It now puts me at 55 of the 100 issues.

As I have stated previously I am not all that impressed with the Earlier BWS issues and will probably be reluctantly content with lesser condition books just for the sake of completing the run.

Savage Sword? Well in light of your impressive achievement of needing only 24 Issues, Im kind of embarrassed to say that I have only 1 issue that I just current purchased and have yet to receive I will post when it arrives.

Your within striking distance! Good Luck!

Out
John
Post 647 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Out
John

Yeah - staple spine - 52 pages. just totally miscut (quite a few of this issue are miscut). Here is a picture of one which is not

Poka

Issue's such as these present me with a unique set of variables when it comes to off centered cover and how I personally feel about them.

In the case of these 52 page Giants. They have a printed spine(Title, Issue # etc..) but are not a square bound book, rather a stapled spine. I think in this case I would rather see the "Printed Spine" cleanly down the left side of the book, such as your grade example, as opposed to the version shown above where the cover is technically more centered, but is stapled through the printed part of the spine and obscuring that print. I guess the trade off for being able to clearly see the printed spine is it being off centered or miscut to the right side of the book. Ummmm... did that make any sense at all?

Do I want the book to be off to the right so I can see the printed spine part cleanly?

Do I want the book to be more centered, but with the staples obscuring the printed text on the spine?

Damn OCD will drive ya Nuts!
Post 648 IP   flag post
Collector Kaleljll private msg quote post Address this user
EBay pickup. Nothing too crazy.

Post 649 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user

Once CBCS is done with it this will be my first gold label, thanks to Trinity Comics. Just need a Hulk and I think I will have all the Stan Lee signed books I could ever want.
Post 650 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammitChris

Star Trek Annual 4 (signed by Leonard Nimoy)

I don't suppose you could be convinced to part with that Trek Annual, it would go really well with the Shatner signed book I'm waiting to get back from CBCS...
Post 651 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
Hello All,

Just got this delivered to me. Looks great in person.

Post 652 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

My first Spawn#1.
Also origin story ASM#181. These were both very clean and in some ignored long boxes. I am happy with picking these up for $12 each. They had 3 more Spawn #1 that I passed on.I needed at least 1 for the collection. There are just so many of them out there but what do you guys think. Leave them there or go back and get them for $12 a piece?
Post 653 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
If they're at least Near Mint Minus, I'd go back for the Spawn #1s. The movie reboot is casting now.
Post 654 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I just got this back from the artist!

The front, you guys have seen before

It went from this

To This (now signed by Jimmy Palmiotti and Joe Quesada)

He finished the back cover, taking this

To This

I especially loved that he didn't just try to recreate the appearance of the original covers

I like how he totally switched the lighting on the back cover. Originally overhead, but now shining up from below. Nice job.
Post 655 IP   flag post
601468 999 30