Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

3rd Party Grading: Too Lenient vs. Too Tough2202

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino_013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
If they are to stay in your personal collection is a 9.4 really so bad? It's still the same exact book you purchased, just with a different third party opinion attached to it. Or did you purchase the number on the label instead of the book inside?

Spot on man. More people need to think more this way. Too much focus is placed on the little number than the actual book itself

If you disregard the numerical grade, then why get the book graded at all?

Because i like the look of graded books as opposed to bags/boards.

Not sure if you're aware but you can purchase holders that look like a book is slabbed..label and info on the comic attached, just no assigned grade and at a fraction of the cost of graded books.

Yes i seen them. I dont like them. They look like sh it. And they cost $17

I'm not a fan of the look myself.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
I just cracked 15 of my 9.8 cgc books to submit to CBCS. Honestly, I'm terrified now to submit them. I have seen many videos were people are getting low grades on brand new off the shelf books, I'm stressing what my 1980's books would get. I'm wondering if I should have left them CGC slabbed at 9.8.. thoughts? encouragement is greatly welcomed. I've lost sleep and my wife is sick of me talking / hearing about it.

Yeah. That was just silly. It's silly to crack any 9.8's
Post 77 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I think eating pickles is silly, but I don't tell pickle eaters they are being silly. Do what you want.
Post 78 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I cracked this book and it's going to CBCS next week. It will be pre-screened at 9.8 and after going over it I think I'm safe. Or I hope I'm safe. I've seen some CBCS 9.8 sales but I missed them so I'm going to shoot for my own.

Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicdey
Quote:
I just cracked 15 of my 9.8 cgc books to submit to CBCS. Honestly, I'm terrified now to submit them. I have seen many videos were people are getting low grades on brand new off the shelf books, I'm stressing what my 1980's books would get. I'm wondering if I should have left them CGC slabbed at 9.8.. thoughts? encouragement is greatly welcomed. I've lost sleep and my wife is sick of me talking / hearing about it.

Yeah. That was just silly. It's silly to crack any 9.8's

I don't think so. There are quite a few videos on youtube with people cracking CGC and submitting to CBCS. CBCS has better archival quality slabs and that is desirable. This and the fact I didn't want any CGC books led me to crack mine.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I think eating pickles is silly, but I don't tell pickle eaters they are being silly. Do what you want.

Post 81 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
I cracked this book and it's going to CBCS next week. It will be pre-screened at 9.8 and after going over it I think I'm safe. Or I hope I'm safe. I've seen some CBCS 9.8 sales but I missed them so I'm going to shoot for my own.

Choosing the pre-screen is a great idea. I will do the same. If ones don't make it I guess I can try CGC and then sell them on ebay as suggested by drchaos. Whatever the outcome this has and will be an expensive and eye opening lesson.
Post 82 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Perfect!!
Post 83 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Friends don't let friends eat pickles.

Post 84 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Perhaps silly wasn't the best choice of words....

How about I fail to see any upside to unslabbing 9.8's? Your chances of getting a 9.9/10 border on non-existent. Your chances of getting a lower grade are substantial.

When it comes to grading companies, I'm something of a slut I collect comic books, not plastic slabs. I own slabbed books from all three companies plus one or two companies no longer in existence. But I understand that some collectors have a strong preference for which grading company - and other collectors just want all their encapsulated books to have the same appearance. Or both.

If one doesn't wish to own CGC slabs any longer, I suggest selling the 9.8's and using the $$ to purchase 9.8's slabbed by CBCS will lead to a LOT less butthurt. Unless the books is something so rare you'll never find it again.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah silly was a bad choice. If you want only CBCS then it makes sense, otherwise it's just spent money with no identified upside. Do as you like🦄
Post 86 IP   flag post
It's ironic that when I once said I finally sold my last CGC slab, the first question that someone asked was "why didn't you just have CBCS reslab it?"
Post 87 IP   flag post
Quote:
It's ironic that when I once said I finally sold my last CGC slab, the first question that someone asked was "why didn't you just have CBCS reslab it?"

Yeah that was me lol
Post 88 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Use 3 full backs per Mylite2.Slide each book into a magazine top loader.

Sheet of cardboard between each top loader.Bubblewrap.

This is going to work out to 3 shipments at 6 books per box.
Double boxing is also best.

Have them all screened for 9.8's.

Have CBCS press any 9.8 fails.

There is no guarantee you'd get all back as 9.8's, even if they were shipped in slabs....but it would have hedged your odds because the care needed in shipping raw 9.8's is not something a lot of people understand.Even then, the less handling a book gets , the better.

Shipping/insurance, just to CBCS, is going to cost you a pretty penny.

Then you are paying for grading & return shipping.
Post 89 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Is that a euphemism?
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

Is that a euphemism?

No, I was being literal, I hate pickles.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

There is no guarantee you'd get all back as 9.8's, even if they were shipped in slabs....but it would have hedged your odds because the care needed in shipping raw 9.8's is not something a lot of people understand.Even then, the less handling a book gets , the better.

Cool. Thanks for the info. 3 fullbacks? how does that fit? I use 4 mil and a lot of the time its a struggle to get one fullback in the bag.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Cool. Thanks for the info. 3 fullbacks? how does that fit? I use 4 mil and a lot of the time its a struggle to get one fullback in the bag.

Never used M4's, the flsps would be a huge PITA to crease.

Uncreased flaps > air pocket behind top of board > spine ticks

I also don't use new supplies when I sub books.And ut is not to save money, either.

Brand new full backs, fresh out of shrinkwrap are always slightly warped/buckled.

So I take books out of my older $5 and $10 convention boxes which have been stored in M2's and Full Backs.

Recycle those supplies.

Run your thimbnail over all 4 edges of each full back so any excess bits are removed and the 3 then will compiment each other uniformly.

A modern/copper book, will fit with 3 standard full backs, inside of a standard M2....plus a regular/cheapo BCW board.

Concaved sides of the full back facing upwards so the spine is cradled (this is very important).

Make sure the book is centered properly then compress most air out of the bag by running your palm against the front (avoid any ptessure on spine).

Turn book over.

Forecefully press down center of the book lengthwise with your hand to expell air pockets, then run your palm up the length of the book to remove any excess air pockets.

I then add a BCW thin (half back size) regular backing board , with the concaved side facing outwards. (opposite direction of the 3 full backs).

This acts as a space buffer and as a contrast to the 3 full backs with the opposing sided concaves.

Apply 2 small pieces of GIFT tape on the back of the flsp (I put a piece on my thumb and remove x 15 times....so the graders can easily pull the flap back without having to cut the tape) on the flap.)

One piece gets applied about half an inch to 3/4" of an inch from cleft of center ( to avoie pressing downward near the spine when sealing the flap).

Other piece goes where normally applied, about 1 inch from right edge.

Now, go over the already creased flap on the M2 with your thumbnail, to tighten the flap removing any lax, so it is as rigid as can be.

The end product feels like a brick, book has no wiggle room in the bag and the spine is perfectly rigid.

Then I will lie that product on top of a full back (silver/gold size with concave side facing up)....and insert it into a pre-creased M2 (silver/gold size).
The flap will be facing the nottom of the book i.e. the 2nd bag will be upside down.

Insert half back sized cheapo BCW golden age board (same size as silver/gold full back) as a space filler.

Compress air like before, being careful to avoid any uneven pressure towards the spine.Apply 2 small pieces of tape no more than 1 inch away from each other, starting at the center of the silver/gold M2 flap.

I should make a video, with commentary on each step, of this.

It takes about 5 minutes per book, not including swapping out supplies) to prep books like this,

An alternative to reusing M2's and full backs is to take a new standard M2, crease the flap SEVERAL times with your thumbnail after you have inserted 3 full backs...tape her shut with gift tape (the 2 traditionally applied areas on the flap).

Place on a flat surface with the concaved side facing upward.

Repeat.

Put 2nd M2 w/3 full backs on top of first ( upside down so the taped flap lies opposite the flap of the book below)....

Repeat intil you have enough bags ready.

Put a hardback book on top of the stack, centered.

Put 100+ pounds of weight on the stack.

Come back in a week and have at it.

I'll take a pic of one of the books ai have prepped like this and will upload it later.
Post 93 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids holy hell man, now that is some prep! I would love to see a video of that
Post 94 IP   flag post
I smell pancakes.
Post 95 IP   flag post
601541 95 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?