Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeSignatures

What have you found in the Wild lately?2154

COLLECTOR Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Been digging through comic stores? Find anything that you are proud and want to share it? A thread for books found in the wild that you patted yourself on the back for finding.

I'll start. Not in the best shape but when I pulled it out and saw that it was signed by Kieth it made me smile.




Same store had this in a box - X-Factor 92 Joe Quesada Dynamic Forces book


Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
I don't even waste time doing that any more. It's been a LONG time since I've found anything of substance so I just stopped looking. Pretty much everybody is wise to the comic game now and they pull the good stuff.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Got a nice lead to follow up on Sunday, hopefully I'll have something to post. From a Modern collector, said there was a new guy with a tiny booth at a flea market that had nothing but old Dell and obscure golden stuff... 👌🏻

@NegativeTruck is probably right though, its probs been picked to hell 😔 dammit man why you gotta go there n kill my buzz lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
@Shrew: Giggity.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
I don't even waste time doing that any more. It's been a LONG time since I've found anything of substance so I just stopped looking. Pretty much everybody is wise to the comic game now and they pull the good stuff.


If you read my post it is about books that you were happy to find in the wild. A Primer #5 can be found in a long box in the shape I found it. Finding a Sam Kieth signed one in the wild made my day. Paying $8.00 for it really made my day.

That was the spirit of the thread. Something that gave you joy in finding it. It doesn't have to be amazing to anyone else.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
How about this one?

Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Not too recent but a few months ago I found this in the wild for $15.. Wasn't threw a store found it online


Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user




Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone know why this xo manowar #15 has a pink color logo instead of the yellowish normal color
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I have an interesting story. On craigslist about 2 weeks ago, this guy posts some comics for sale, it was a random post you could tell he didn't know much about comics. It was a picture of a pile of comics, he said he was cleaning out junk and wanted to get rid of them. In the pile I see Tales of Suspense #39. He is asking $400 for all of them (like 100 comics)

SO I call him up right away and go over to his house. I rushed there from work. I'm not sure what to expect. Sure enough it is Tales of Suspense #39 in a 5.0 or around that condition. He said he had all these comics from when he was a kid in the 70's didn't touch them since. Now I could have just paid him $400 and ran off with the goods but as a collector I felt bad. So, I told the guy, "This book is worth like $4000 man, I don't want to rip you off and I can't pay you that much in cash. But I can show you how to get it graded and sell online."

By this time other people have caught on and his phone is blowing up with calls. He is an older guy and he didn't really believe me. I told him I could come back in 1 hour with the Overstreet guide to prove the value to him and would explain to him what "eBay/comiclink" and "comic grading" is. I just wanted to help the guy, no catch. So, he is open to the idea. I go home to get my overstreet guide.

As I was on my way back to his house he calls me, "sorry man I sold it this guy offered me $1000 cash and I don't want to hassle with that online stuff, thanks anyways"

F*ck, LOL. I shoulda just paid him $400 he was asking for instead of trying to be the nice guy...
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Well at least you have a high moral.

Last year there was a guy who found 5 Star Wars #1 35c variant at a garage sale. Hvis wife put them on eBay for sale at $400 (seems like it is the magic number) without realizing what they were. They were sold within minutes (not to me). However the guy found out before shipping and backtracked on the deal (and got a negative feedback from the buyer). Instead he got them graded at cgc (4.5-6.5) and sold them one by one for around $20k. I suggested the guy that he should go back to the garage sale folks and give them a bit more. Doubt he did it though.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253
Anyone know why this xo manowar #15 has a pink color logo instead of the yellowish normal color

Pink Variant Cover
came in the box of Ultra Pro comic sleeves
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig
Not too recent but a few months ago I found this in the wild for $15.. Wasn't threw a store found it online




Lucky prick.Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I have an interesting story. On craigslist about 2 weeks ago, this guy posts some comics for sale, it was a random post you could tell he didn't know much about comics. It was a picture of a pile of comics, he said he was cleaning out junk and wanted to get rid of them. In the pile I see Tales of Suspense #39. He is asking $400 for all of them (like 100 comics)

SO I call him up right away and go over to his house. I rushed there from work. I'm not sure what to expect. Sure enough it is Tales of Suspense #39 in a 5.0 or around that condition. He said he had all these comics from when he was a kid in the 70's didn't touch them since. Now I could have just paid him $400 and ran off with the goods but as a collector I felt bad. So, I told the guy, "This book is worth like $4000 man, I don't want to rip you off and I can't pay you that much in cash. But I can show you how to get it graded and sell online."

By this time other people have caught on and his phone is blowing up with calls. He is an older guy and he didn't really believe me. I told him I could come back in 1 hour with the Overstreet guide to prove the value to him and would explain to him what "eBay/comiclink" and "comic grading" is. I just wanted to help the guy, no catch. So, he is open to the idea. I go home to get my overstreet guide.

As I was on my way back to his house he calls me, "sorry man I sold it this guy offered me $1000 cash and I don't want to hassle with that online stuff, thanks anyways"

F*ck, LOL. I shoulda just paid him $400 he was asking for instead of trying to be the nice guy...


You don't have to screw yourself over to treat people fairly.

You should have onown that a stack of SA keys would be scooped up at $400 by the first person who got to them.That is your fault for dropping the ball.

Here is what you should have done.

Paid him the 400 in cash that he asked for.

Shook his hand.

Then pack the books up in up your car and lock it.

Walk back over to him and give him a few hundred more in cash;briefly explain the value of the books.

Shake his hand again and drive home.

You can be a nice guy without shooting yourself in the foot.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
You can be a nice guy without shooting yourself in the foot.

Agree with this 1000%
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids @DarthLego oh lesson learned. I usually learn stuff the hard way like this.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
I don't even waste time doing that any more. It's been a LONG time since I've found anything of substance so I just stopped looking. Pretty much everybody is wise to the comic game now and they pull the good stuff.


I understand, but looking through comics at flea markets, yard sales, craigslist and even small local comic shows is a large part of the fun of collecting to me. Yeah, anyone can figure out the value of comics they have, but most don't really want to take the time or effort that it will take to actually get full value. Also, many people know that silver and golden age super hero stuff is valuable, they often don't realize which bronze, copper or even modern age stuff is valuable. Honestly, there is few things I enjoy more than hunting through boxes of comics in hopes I'll find something good or interesting. And it doesn't necessarily need to be of high value.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
looking through comics at flea markets, yard sales, craigslist and even small local comic shows is a large part of the fun of collecting to me.


I would even go so far as to say that the HUNT is 90% of the fun for me 🍺
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector steveo76 private msg quote post Address this user
I was in Jacksonville, NC for a meeting this week and there was a 2nd & Charles across the street from my hotel.

I got a Seven to Eternity #1 1st print for $4. Also got House of Mystery Annual 1 (1st iZombie) for $2, 2 copies of RAI #33 (last issue) for $1/ea, Sex Criminals #1 for $2, and a few others.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I have an interesting story. On craigslist about 2 weeks ago, this guy posts some comics for sale, it was a random post you could tell he didn't know much about comics. It was a picture of a pile of comics, he said he was cleaning out junk and wanted to get rid of them. In the pile I see Tales of Suspense #39. He is asking $400 for all of them (like 100 comics)

SO I call him up right away and go over to his house. I rushed there from work. I'm not sure what to expect. Sure enough it is Tales of Suspense #39 in a 5.0 or around that condition. He said he had all these comics from when he was a kid in the 70's didn't touch them since. Now I could have just paid him $400 and ran off with the goods but as a collector I felt bad. So, I told the guy, "This book is worth like $4000 man, I don't want to rip you off and I can't pay you that much in cash. But I can show you how to get it graded and sell online."

By this time other people have caught on and his phone is blowing up with calls. He is an older guy and he didn't really believe me. I told him I could come back in 1 hour with the Overstreet guide to prove the value to him and would explain to him what "eBay/comiclink" and "comic grading" is. I just wanted to help the guy, no catch. So, he is open to the idea. I go home to get my overstreet guide.

As I was on my way back to his house he calls me, "sorry man I sold it this guy offered me $1000 cash and I don't want to hassle with that online stuff, thanks anyways"

F*ck, LOL. I shoulda just paid him $400 he was asking for instead of trying to be the nice guy...


Man that stinks! You did the honest thing though. The guy should of just offered it to you for $1000 then if he was just going to get rid of it or at least let you have first dibs on it for being honest. Not totally the same but I deliver food for a living and a few weeks ago there was a gentleman standing by a table watching the news on the tv in the shop. I noticed as I was talking to him, a bundle of money near his left foot just laying on the ground. So I asked him if he had dropped any money and sure enough he said yea he just got paid and must of fell out of his coat pocket. He then asked me if it was mine, I said no I have all my cash. He proceeded to get his food and leave. About 15 minutes later my boss is frantic checking her pants pockets and what not. I ask her why and she goes "I dropped the days deposit somewhere". I go well this gentleman just claimed cash that was over by the table near the tv on the floor. She goes "I was sitting there paying bills about 20 minutes ago". Sure enough it was her money. It happened to be over $2000 in 100's. So moral of the story, being nice means you lose I guess :/
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user



Found these 2 in the wild at $1 each.

Pressed them both last night, need another press to be solid 9.8 candidates...will get these out with other moderns this coming week.

Found other comparable books in that 'lil $1 a pop hit, as well.

Also sored a Rawhide Kid 17 in an eBay lot of 20 books recently....cost me $23 shipped for the lot.

A 2.0 as is, after I give it some loving it should slab out at 3.0.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@rckstr1253 Don't think that way about being nice. We got good karma for the nice things we do. It will come around to us in other ways. That's why I don't sweat it too much. At least the guy in my story got $1000 instead of the $400 he was originally asking for. He lives in my neighborhood and he wasn't very well off. I wanted to help him. Being nice you may lose a battle here and there but you will win the war in the end.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Got this to compliment my 8.0 #180 and 7.0 #181.


Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig
Not too recent but a few months ago I found this in the wild for $15.. Wasn't threw a store found it online




Insane.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@CopperAgeKids @DarthLego oh lesson learned. I usually learn stuff the hard way like this.


Lesson learned. Legally you have no duty to educate a seller about what the seller is selling you. Your duty is to pay whatever price you agree on by the agreed upon deadline, free of any liens. As a seller, he has no duty to educate you about patent defects (e.g., obvious color-breaking crease), but he does have a duty to educate you about latent (i.e., hidden) defects such as resto, if he knows the book has resto.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
@zosocane it's one of them stories if I told the whole thing you still wouldnt believe It lol
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@CopperAgeKids @DarthLego oh lesson learned. I usually learn stuff the hard way like this.


Lesson learned. Legally you have no duty to educate a seller about what the seller is selling you. Your duty is to pay whatever price you agree on by the agreed upon deadline, free of any liens. As a seller, he has no duty to educate you about patent defects (e.g., obvious color-breaking crease), but he does have a duty to educate you about latent (i.e., hidden) defects such as resto, if he knows the book has resto.
yes you are right about the legal issue. Sometimes what is legal may not be the right thing to do. Scenario: old lady down the street from you knows you collects comics and comes to your house one day. Her husband recently passed away and had some old comics. She is getting rid of a lot of his stuff. She know you like comics and offers them to you. One of them is an Action Comics #1 in VF/NM condition. What do you do??
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Scenario: old lady down the street from you knows you collects comics and comes to your house one day. Her husband recently passed away and had some old comics. She is getting rid of a lot of his stuff. She know you like comics and offers them to you. One of them is an Action Comics #1 in VF/NM condition. What do you do??

Sell the Action #1, give her the proceeds, keep the rest.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I would get it pressed and graded by CBCS and put it up for auction. Then I would give her a large portion of it or make sure her house is paid off and take care of all of her bills.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Ya but like other have said in this thread you are under no legal requirement to help someone realize the real selling value of a comic that they are grossly undervaluing.
Post 30 IP   flag post
184072 37 30
destitute