Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector NeganKilledMe private msg quote post Address this user
Just saw this on Ebay. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMAGE-THE-WALKING-DEAD-27-2006-CBCS-RAW-GRADE-9-6-1st-GOVERNOR-APPEARANCE-TWD-/232241561509?hash=item3612acffa5:g:cBEAAOSwB-1YpMrn

17-06C557E-028
https://www.cbcscomics.com/grading-notes/17-06C557E-028
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Ummm at first reading I thought it was a great idea. I love buying raw books, and to have cbcs graders say what it is, all the better! Cheaper than buying slabbed as well.

But then I kept reading, and No restoration check, no notes, no slab, but a grade? Is this real?

And now I'm wondering why they snuck this out there without announcing it lol, does seem like a good way to expand the brand. Is this gonna be the second thread in a row where Steve chimes in and says "yeah we were wondering when you would all notice we flipped the switch weeks ago"
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
On the surface a raw grade sounds like a great idea. The problem is, how do you prevent THAT sticker with THAT grade from being transferred to another book?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Right..., isnt that the point of the sealed slab and hologram and all that jazz?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Exactly.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Kind of what I thought anything tamper resistant like money is bound to be faked right?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Heres a bit more I could find

http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?articleID=190562
Post 7 IP   flag post
Having magazines done or regected grade screens is a huge ++++
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Wonder if magazine size will be graded this way as an alternative until they come out with a slab
Post 9 IP   flag post
Interesting. But if we can put a man on the moon, I'm pretty sure people will find a way around a "tamper evident" sealed bag. #IfYouCanCatchaWrenchYouCanCatchaBall
Post 10 IP   flag post
Cant imagine itll take long for someone to find the sticker removal recipe...

Yeah an official word on all of it would be nice lol. Prices, how to do it, and how its tamper proof!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRig this would help out on that front till they get a mag slab. Sucks cuz i caved in and sent a mag size to cgc a few days a go through my LCS.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Cant imagine itll take long for someone to find the sticker removal recipe...

Yeah an official word on all of it would be nice lol. Prices, how to do it, and how its tamper proof!

I smell another verboten topic: no talking about sticky syrup removal recipes.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
I smell another verboten topic.

If they want to stand behind it, they should let the comversation run its course.

Quote:
#IfYouCanCatchaWrenchYouCanCatchaBall

🤣🤣
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
I smell another verboten topic.

If they want to stand behind it, they should let the comversation run its course.

Quote:
#IfYouCanCatchaWrenchYouCanCatchaBall

🤣🤣
I agree. And that should go for pancakes as well!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector NeganKilledMe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Having magazines done or regected grade screens is a huge

If this can be used when a book fails a grade screen that would be awesome. I would want all my current submissions to have that option. If the price is right.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganKilledMe

If this can be used when a book fails a grade screen that would be awesome. I would want all my current submissions to have that option. If the price is right.

+1. If its just a few bucks hell yeah. I have 10 books in grade screen right now
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Shrew and Negan: According to the info link, that sounds like the plan.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@TruckJohnson right but I cant see paying more than a few bucks given that its just a quick check and not a fully-vetted grade
Post 19 IP   flag post
Actually I could see this raw grade thing working well at shows where CBCS is present and folks are playing "lets make a deal." I would certainly feel more confident about pulling the trigger, knowing they had just taken a look at my potential purchase and provided fairly reliable guidance on a possible grade.
Post 20 IP   flag post
That would be great. Fresh off the table yes, ebay, not so much on anything high value unless that sticker has superhero stickiness
Post 21 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure how I feel about this their are a ton of questions I have.

1. Are the pages counted and is the inside checked to see if it's complete

2. If there is not restoration check a book will be assigned a Raw grade people could definitely start getting taken to the cleaners because of this.

3. The old switcharoo this is for sure going to happen unless those stickers on the back are like the Comic Link stickers.

Overall CBCS is putting their brand to something that could be masking restored books in a Raw grade label. Or people switching out the higher copies with lower grade copies.

I would rather buy a none slabbed book off of ebay where someone besides the seller has looked at the book but this is not going to make me pay anymore money.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
Aside from the individual collectors, how would it work for dealers and LCS? That's a grey area. i think i'd still go traditional grading.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I won't be doing this. But someone will.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Interesting. But if we can put a man on the moon/quote]

Did you? 😜
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Interesting. But if we can put a man on the moon/quote]

Did you? 😜

#HiddenFigures
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
How is this suddenly a thing? With no CBCS Newsletter announcement. No Forum thread announcement. And not even a polling about how we feel about or receive such a service? I kind of feel insulted here. We are supposed to be the frontlines for CBCS here, not the last to know. And how the Holy Lego Batman are there already books on eBay???
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Darth: "How you feel about it?. You feel insulted?" Call me crazy, but you may be over-thinking your importance at CBCS.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Not MY importance. The FORUM's importance. This is the community of their customers. Honestly, an official newsletter, forum post, facebook post, and YouTube video all should have proceeded some random shop putting books on eBay. We got all of those things with both new label announcements. It's marketing 101, this is not how any company should have a new product hit the wild.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector slym2none private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Darth: "How you feel about it?. You feel insulted?" Call me crazy, but you may be over-thinking your importance at CBCS.

LOL
Post 30 IP   flag post
601469 311 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?