Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Jungle Girl 1 variant (Dave Stevens)20698

Collector jaysonslade private msg quote post Address this user
Can anyone tell me what distinguishes the regular cover from the variant cover? Dipping my toe into some Dave Stevens comics and I’m not seeing any clear difference(s). Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
@jaysonslade I have never heard of Jungle Girl Dave Stevens comic. I see someone selling Jungle Comics #1 on eBay as a variant, but I find no evidence of a Jungle Girl or Jungle Comics #1 variant with a Dave Stevens cover. GPANALYSIS shows a Jungle Comics #1 9.8 Manufacturing error book.

A 9.8 of Jungle Comics sold last September for $750. In January $1200 and last month for $1350. The manufacturing error book last sold in August of last year for $900. I have no idea what the error is. I do know the Dave Steven's King Kong #1 is suppose to have 5 staples in it.

Welcome to the art of Dave Stevens. His comics are HIGHLY desirable right now and the prices are soaring. Decent priced copies are selling as fast as people post them on eBay. I was lucky enough to find Seduction of the Innocent 3D with glasses last week at a LCS for $15.
Post 2 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Do you mean Jungle COMICS #1??

Post 4 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 5 IP   flag post
@Belarak YES! What a typo on my part! Yes, Jungle Comics! And thank you for the kind response.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 @Belarak Yes, Jungle Comics! I usually proofread my words better than that. Thank you for the kind response.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@jaysonslade it's also the back cover for Planet #1:

Post 8 IP   flag post

Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I was buying Stevens books years and years ago.
I have stopped purchasing anything Stevens as it has just gotten completely nuts and overpriced.

I may come back to his work in a couple years when folks have moved onto the next thing that is made to be overpriced. Buying while everyone else is searching, is not what I choose to do.... ever
Post 10 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I was buying Stevens books years and years ago.
I have stopped purchasing anything Stevens as it has just gotten completely nuts and overpriced.

I may come back to his work in a couple years when folks have moved onto the next thing that is made to be overpriced. Buying while everyone else is searching, is not what I choose to do.... ever

Right??
I don't get why they are suddenly blowing up...some of these books used to be if not dollar bin then maybe $5...guess I should grade and sell some
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I don't get why they are suddenly blowing up...some of these books used to be if not dollar bin then maybe $5...guess I should grade and sell some

Yep! Sell now. Because everyone is looking now.

And lastly, I'll bet my last dollar that those Eclipse, Blackthorne, Dark Horse, etc.. are just sitting in dealer back stock in bulk & in high grade.
If covid didn't teach us something is that more and more and more high grade issues will hit the census and goodbye to values. Just like the MCU Fomo where high grade census #'s went Bananas and helped kill values.
Post 12 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Right??
100% correct but you could say the same thing about 70s horror comics. They were dollar bin fodder for years. Now they are crazy expensive as you probably know, especially Adams and Wrightson covers. Many of these Dave Stephens covers are not that much younger than the 70s horror comics.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I do agree about waiting on these, though, if I ever buy them at all. The one Stephens book I bought recently (and maybe the only Stephens book I own) was a 9.8 Airboy #5. I bought it primarily because it was being sold at about 60% of the current going rate. Too good a deal to pass up.
Post 14 IP   flag post

Post 15 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Quote:
Right??
100% correct but you could say the same thing about 70s horror comics. They were dollar bin fodder for years. Now they are crazy expensive as you probably know, especially Adams and Wrightson covers. Many of these Dave Stephens covers are not that much younger than the 70s horror comics.

lol...curse of getting old?
"When I was young"....it only cost $X to..go to movies, have fast food, to get this or that comic etc. etc.
Post 16 IP   flag post
602411 16 16