Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

A hypothetical/whatif.....20692

Collector chuchie private msg quote post Address this user
I have a F.F.#1 and wud u believe...i had it signed by Stan Lee at a college seminar that he was giving. This was in the mid 60's. A few years later my son and me went to a comic con where CGC had a booth. I showed them the book and autograph and inquired about slabbing and grading the book. They said the autograph doesn't mean anything because it was not verified (other than me and my son). It would simply be considered scribbled writing on the cover and, therefore, a defect. There was nothing I/they could do. So I submitted it anyway. I had it slabbed and the grade given was 3.5. Fast forward to the present when I learned about CBCS and their signature verification program, I am wondering if I can submit that slab as is and have the signature verified or break open the slab and submit just the book for sig verification. Is there a way/procedure to do that...break open the slab.

Because the sig would then no longer be considered a defect would the grade be higher?
Any opinions/thoughts would be appreciated. I'm all ears......or should it be eyes....whatever.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
I recently had a book that was 9.0 CGC, had CBCS crack it do a witness sig and then have them take it back to slab it. I just came back as a.... 7.0. I was crushed so I can't promise you won't face the same. This was done at a local con and they cracked it not me. If you crack it yourself you run the risk of damaging the book. But it's up to you honestly. You and your son know it's a real sig. If your trying to go for a better grade well it it didn't go well for me but you might have better luck.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector GT_Turbo private msg quote post Address this user
I’m pretty sure you can do this as you’ve described. There is some risk in cracking the slab and regrading - you may see a dip in the grade, worth keeping in mind.

Also, CGC bought a company called JSA and are expected to be launching a signature verification service of their own pretty soon (apparently there will be more information in April).

Some other things to consider - if you haven’t gotten your book cleaned and pressed, it might be a good idea to send it to one of the big, professional cleaning and pressing services ahead of getting it cracked and regraded - somewhere like Avery Comic Pressing or Impressive Comic Pressing - it could get your grade up and that’s a high value book. They can also do the cracking and sending to CGC or CBCS as part of the service.

Others here will know more than me but I think you have a good opportunity to level up your book!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, CBCS can crack open the slab, (attempt to) verify the signature and regrade the book. You would just use the normal submission process for grading and signature authentication.

I think CBCS has a current discount code for signature authentication.
Post 4 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Beckett has some sort of signature pre-screening thing. $10 or something to look at a photo of the sig before you send it in. I clearly haven't used it since I don't know much about it. Others can chime in.

I would suggest looking into it.

I had Stan sign a book. CBCS didn't verify that fact, so it was just a bunch of wasted money.

You don't want to crack your slab unless they can tell you that the sig should pass.

That's all assuming you're talking about submitting to CBCS.
CGC is just about to start the same service. My Stan sigs will be going there.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
@chuchie One other thing you might consider is: Send the book to CBCS in the case. Have them clean and press it. They do an outstanding job and you wouldn't have to worry about some many people handling the book.

You do run a risk of getting a lower grade but if it's a 3.5 now, cleaning and pressing should keep it at 3.5 or improve it.

Yes CBCS is offering a $10 discount for signature verification right now. Beckett is the one that does the verification. Be aware you also run the risk that they might not be able to verify the signature. It doesn't mean it's not real. Sometimes signatures vary and unless they have a reference signature like yours, they might not verify it. It happens rarely but it does happen.

It's all a personal choice. If you really want the yellow label, go for it. If you don't care if it's verified, keep it in the CGC case. Only you know what's best for you. At a minimum you might get a grade bump.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
You definitely ought to get the signature verified. If it fails with one company, I'd send it to the other- especially since you know it's legit. And while CBCS states they don't take into account COA's or anything like that when verifying, it couldn't hurt to send a letter saying where/when you got it signed. At least that could possibly point them to which era of signatures they ought to be comparing it to.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuchie
I have a F.F.#1 and wud u believe...i had it signed by Stan Lee at a college seminar that he was giving. This was in the mid 60's. A few years later my son and me went to a comic con where CGC had a booth. I showed them the book and autograph and inquired about slabbing and grading the book. They said the autograph doesn't mean anything because it was not verified (other than me and my son). It would simply be considered scribbled writing on the cover and, therefore, a defect. There was nothing I/they could do. So I submitted it anyway. I had it slabbed and the grade given was 3.5. Fast forward to the present when I learned about CBCS and their signature verification program, I am wondering if I can submit that slab as is and have the signature verified or break open the slab and submit just the book for sig verification. Is there a way/procedure to do that...break open the slab.

Because the sig would then no longer be considered a defect would the grade be higher?
Any opinions/thoughts would be appreciated. I'm all ears......or should it be eyes....whatever.

@chuchie - Were it me, I would send in to CBCS for VSP and Press Screen. As mentioned by @Belarak , CBCS is offering a $10 promo if you print the invoice before month end and get it to them before the 15th of May. The Promo Code is VSPSAVE10 . You can opt to not have it graded if signature verification fails, but even still, it will be better to have an accurately graded CBCS blue label than a cgc Green Label.

By getting the comic Press Screened, if @SteveRicketts and his crew can...iron out some flaws, you can be confident that the Grade CBCS applies will be the best accurate grade possible. If they do not feel they can help, or if the comic is too delicate, they will simple have it graded.

Cheers and if you do send in, take a before Pic and then share both a before and after pics here on the forum.

Cheers!
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@chuchie I don’t think you mentioned it, sorry if I missed it, but did CGC give it a blue label or a green label?

If it’s a blue label then it has a higher chance of getting an improved grade than if it has a green label. A green label recognizes that there is a flaw (the signature) but does not count it against the grade.

The green label grade should be closer to the CBCS grade if the signature is verified whereas the blue label grade would be closer to what CBCS would grade the book if verification fails.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
crack the case, get comic out. resubmit grade and pay to authenticate.

I'm planning on submitting my secret wars #8 next year. Its signed by shooter, Beatty and Zeck. I know they are legit (gave it to them to sign myself at heroes con). only reason didn't do grade/authenticating sooner. I had non signed comics I felt should go first as don't cost more
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have a F.F.#1 and wud u believe...i had it signed by Stan Lee at a college seminar that he was giving. This was in the mid 60's. A few years later my son and me went to a comic con where CGC had a booth.

A few years?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
crack the case, get comic out. resubmit grade and pay to authenticate.

I'm planning on submitting my secret wars #8 next year. Its signed by shooter, Beatty and Zeck. I know they are legit (gave it to them to sign myself at heroes con). only reason didn't do grade/authenticating sooner. I had non signed comics I felt should go first as don't cost more

sadly knowing they are legit still doesn't guarantee they will pass. Stans signatures in his later years are especially prone to failure it seems.
Sounds like this signature from the original poster was from when Stan still had all his facilities...I would guess the sig passes!
Post 12 IP   flag post
siggy....maybe more than a few years. you're making me think and hurts my head....i remember my son was 10 yo and that wud have been 1977. i think that wud make it about 1966 that i bought the book. seems like only yesterday.......
Post 13 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
WARNING - Beckett/CBCS was not able to verify any of the three Stan Lee signatures I submitted. It's a definite risk if you do send it to them.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
siggy....maybe more than a few years. you're making me think and hurts my head....i remember my son was 10 yo and that wud have been 1977. i think that wud make it about 1966 that i bought the book. seems like only yesterday.......

CGC opened around the year 2000. It wasn’t graded in 1977.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia: i had the book signed in '77. it wasnt slabbed till after that. so if ur rite about cgc, it cudnta been slabbed till after or around 2000. the date/s sre hazy but the fact remains it was slabbed and graded and cgc comments were made. i am planning to crack the case and send to cbcs. wish me luck.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@chuchie I don’t think you mentioned it, sorry if I missed it, but did CGC give it a blue label or a green label?

@chuchie This is the first thing I thought of when reading the original post. Green label vs. Blue makes all the difference here on whether you could get a grade bump.

Either way, I think you’ll be ok sending it to CBCS.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
@figment oh damn, did you witness the sig?
Post 18 IP   flag post
@figment my son and i witnessed it......as well as other college guys waiting in line to have their books signed.
Post 19 IP   flag post
602402 19 19