CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
NFL Football

NFL off season trades, news, etc20548

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Bye, bye Kirk.

Agent: Kirk Cousins agrees to 4-year deal with Atlanta Falcons
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O maybe you guys will go after J.J. McCarthy
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O Perhaps more disturbing than losing Cousins, I am hearing names like Sam Darnold and Justin Fields as potential replacementsšŸ˜®. Vikings certainly seem to be at a crossroads. Do they consider trading up to get a top QB in the draft? The cost would undoubtedly be high. Perhaps they are hoping that they can land someone like JJ McCarthy where they currently sit? Seems unlikely but not impossible. You and I are old enough to remember when the Vikes overreached to take Christian Ponder as the fourth QB taken from a similar draft position years ago. That was certainly an epic fail! Reaching for a QB in the first round is probably the best way to squander a high draft pick IMO. Without a quality starting QB do we see them as now being in a rebuilding mode? If so, might it be wise to trade Justin Jefferson, who is due for a mega deal in the not too distant future? Having the highest paid WR on a rebuilding team makes little sense, so reaping a trade bonanza for him now and letting another team ink that deal may be a sensible decision. Of course, doing that would equate to throwing in the towel and admitting to the fan base that they are now building for the future. So many questions! I am very interested to see how the Minnesota brain trust navigates these challenges.

Oh, and props to the Eagles for signing Saquon Barkley. Love that move for them!

Other moves I am liking: Dā€™Andre Swift to the Bears. Gardner Minshew to the Raiders. Not sure if he is there to be ā€œthe manā€ or to compete with/ mentor a possible QB they hope to draft, but I like the add.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Well, it looks like the Vikes are rebuilding the defense right now. Hopefully, Jefferson will stick around and the Vikes will get a seasoned qb to come in. And yeah, I remember Ponder. I had such high hopes for him.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Well, it looks like the Vikes are rebuilding the defense right now. Hopefully, Jefferson will stick around and the Vikes will get a seasoned qb to come in. And yeah, I remember Ponder. I had such high hopes for him.

I think Jefferson is a trade asset at this point. Some one is going to need to break the bank to sign him next offseaon. Maybe the Vikings 1st plus Jefferson get's them into the top 3.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Biggest problem I see with re-signing Jefferson is that Minnesota proved last season that without Cousins they are not a playoff caliber team. Certainly there is hope if they find the right QB. The defense is solid, even if they lose Hunter in free agency. I think they basically have this season to figure it out. If they tank early in the season it will put more pressure on them to deal him. I wouldnā€™t trade JJ and their #1 to move up into the top 3. That would be giving up too much and also counterproductive since keeping JJ would be worth it if they have a franchise QB.
Post 6 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp @Jesse_O Several teams are in need of a quality QB. Them raiders are in a pickle barrel without one too. They just released back up Hoyer and I think they will release Garoppolo too. Otherwise, why did they bench him most of the season.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@michaelekrupp @Jesse_O Several teams are in need of a quality QB. Them raiders are in a pickle barrel without one too. They just released back up Hoyer and I think they will release Garoppolo too. Otherwise, why did they bench him most of the season.
They should give O'Connell some looks in the pre-season
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Nearmint67 @drmccoy74 Raiders signed Gardner Minshew to a 2 year/ $25 million deal. I also expect them to possibly draft a QB if a player they like is still on the board when they pick. I think they have seen enough of Oā€™Connell to make a decision on whether or not he is a long term solution.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I remember Vikings got Herschel Walker and Dallas Cowboys got:
Emmitt Smith
Darren Woodson
Russell Maryland
Kevin Smith
+ 4 Vikings players.
Christian Ponder wasn't very good either though
Post 10 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 11 IP   flag post
The Lions are baaaaaaaaaad!

Post 12 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
@Nearmint67 @drmccoy74 Raiders signed Gardner Minshew to a 2 year/ $25 million deal. I also expect them to possibly draft a QB if a player they like is still on the board when they pick. I think they have seen enough of Oā€™Connell to make a decision on whether or not he is a long term solution.

I just read that in a thread online.
Also, Josh Jacobs just signed with the Packers.
He wanted too much money for his position. I Like Josh, and think he will do well in Lambeau...

Raiders O-line did well in the later part of the season, hopefully they can bolter that a little so Menshew can have 3 seconds to throw the ball...

And it would be nice to see a complimentary defensive rusher to help Maxx Crosby.
Lots of trades and free agency making things very interesting. And then there's the draft...
Are you ready for some football?????? lol.....
Post 13 IP   flag post

Post 14 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad I didnā€™t see the Carlton Davis trade coming. It does make sense, since they were unlikely to get an immediate impact starter at CB with pick 29. A 3rd for two 6ths is definitely less than they would have had to give up to get Snead away from KC. Plus filling this need opens the door to getting a quality interior lineman at 29th overall. I see them needing to retain either Glasgow or Jonah Jackson even if they do take a lineman, but I doubt they will pay both. I would lean toward keeping Glasgow since he is positionally versatile and Ragnow has a history of injuries, then drafting a quality cheaper option in the first round to replace Jackson.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Glasgow signed I believe? Maybe I heard fake news.
Post 16 IP   flag post
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39706513/detroit-lions-resign-graham-glasgow-3-years-20m
Post 17 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad yes, I missed the announcement earlier. He has been re-signed. Definitely the right choice by Detroit. Brad Holmes is so smart! I fully expect them to let Jackson walk and draft his replacement with the 29th pick.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Vikings are making some moves! Love the addition of Aaron Jones. He proved in the playoffs that he still has some gas in the tank. Not sure about Sam Darnold. I am fine with him as a veteran backup, but I canā€™t see him filling Cousinsā€™ shoes. I know he generated some buzz in the preseason last year with San Francisco, but that means nothing in terms of regular season wins. The Vikes seem to be leaning toward a play solid defense/ ground and pound style of play. Hopefully they are not done at QB. Darnold is probably an upgrade from the QBs currently on the roster, but I do not see him being a legitimate QB1.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
More free agents signed.

Mike Williams to the Jets

Bengals sign Trent Brown

OG Kevin Zeitler to Detroit
Post 20 IP   flag post
Detroit is stacking the deck
Post 21 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad I like the Zeitler signing. It gives the Lions absolute flexibility with their first round pick. I still wouldnā€™t be surprised if they take a guard or center in round one, but they can now go ā€œbest athlete availableā€ or even trade back if there is an offer on the table. I love what they have done to bolster their CB room and defensive line. They may need to add a safety, although I have confidence in Brian Branch should they use him in that role. I canā€™t wait for the draft! I may even go down there and watch it live.

Speaking of the draft, Jesseā€™s Vikings seem to be positioning themselves to make a major move. I am very interested in how this will all play out. The Raiders have also reportedly inquired about trading into the top three. The thing is, I am not sure I see any team in the top three (all QB needy) trading out of their spot, no matter the offer. This means that Arizona or San Diego is set to seriously cash in if they are willing to trade back. It will likely cost Minnesota three first round picks to get the fourth best quarterback in the draft. That is a HUGE gamble but it is one they almost have to take. The Vikings have too much receiver talent to waste it with Sam Darnold as starting QB. Also, they obviously want to re-sign Jefferson, which I donā€™t think they can do without a QB in place. Definitely going to be interesting!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Speaking of the draft, Jesseā€™s Vikings seem to be positioning themselves to make a major move. I am very interested in how this will all play out. The Raiders have also reportedly inquired about trading into the top three. The thing is, I am not sure I see any team in the top three (all QB needy) trading out of their spot, no matter the offer. This means that Arizona or San Diego is set to seriously cash in if they are willing to trade back. It will likely cost Minnesota three first round picks to get the fourth best quarterback in the draft. That is a HUGE gamble but it is one they almost have to take. The Vikings have too much receiver talent to waste it with Sam Darnold as starting QB. Also, they obviously want to re-sign Jefferson, which I donā€™t think they can do without a QB in place. Definitely going to be interesting!

There is a TON of speculation floating around as to what they have planned. Thankfully, it all involves a qb.

According to Dan Patrick: "I think the Vikings may have made the better decision," said Patrick. "You're getting Kirk Cousins, he is a B, B+ talent, A+ money and D- results when it comes to playing in big games and getting into the playoffs. He's won one playoff game."

Cousins went 50-37-1 in six years as the Vikings starter, making the playoffs just two times (going 1-2 in three postseason games).Ā 
Post 23 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I've said for years that Cousins is essentially a higher end Andy Dalton. He'll give you stats and wins at 1pm, but once it comes times for big moments, he folds up like an accordion.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Sorry D-Town
He Gone!!

Post 25 IP   flag post
Sorry to lose Sutton? Nah.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Sutton was a rare misstep by Brad Holmes. Given the Lionsā€™ commitment to character guys I am not surprised that they released him. The cap hit sucks, but they should eventually be able to have most of the impact negated since he seems to have violated the leagueā€™s personal conduct policy. Sutton was basically a CB2 who Detroit thought could fill the role of a CB1. It does mean they will be looking for secondary help in the draft, which was probably already in the plan anyway. Honestly, I figured if Sutton played next season like he played last season he would be gone at the end of next year anyway.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I had some weird dreams last night of me throwing a tantrum while trying to watch the 24-25 NFL season. Anyone else disappointed in the rule changes?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I had some weird dreams last night of me throwing a tantrum while trying to watch the 24-25 NFL season. Anyone else disappointed in the rule changes?
Yes. I don't like change. To me change is rarely for the better.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@flanders I think the kickoff rule could be interesting. I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out in preseason. It definitely provides another wrinkle. Plus, touchbacks have never really excited me. I am a little sick of them finding new ways to penalize players for tackling. Football is a violent game. Injuries are part of the game and the players are very well paid for the risks they take. I think an interesting exercise is to go back and look at the highlight reel of a guy like Ronnie Lott, arguably the greatest player ever to play his position. In todayā€™s game virtually every tackle he made would be a penalty, fine or suspension! If the league really cared about player safety, they would mandate natural grass fields, which would likely reduce injuries far more than another stupid tackling penalty. But you will never see that because it would cost them money. So do they really care about player safety or do they care about appearing to care about player safety as long as it doesnā€™t cost them?
Post 30 IP   flag post
602965 56 30