Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help Needed

GPA for CBCS?205

Collector jmh722 private msg quote post Address this user
Is there anything out there like GPA for CBCS books? For those of you who don't know what it is, it's an index of CGC graded sales. Really useful for determining the market value of their books. Do I need to build this myself or does something like that exist already and I'm unaware?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Marc_1 private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing exists right now...unfortunately George at GPA won't track CBCS sales.

The market is ripe for someone to do it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
If the need is immediate, gocollect.com does included CBCS sales in its data. I've found it useful on more than one occasion. You can usually find a code for a free trial.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector jhm private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a 30 free days code for GoCollect price guide: CBCSBOARDS
You can enter it as you register here: http://comics.gocollect.com

...or plug it into the right side of the screen on your Dashboard page.
Post 4 IP   flag post
GoCollect. GoCollect. GoCollect.

Are you like Beetlejuice only less malevolent?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector jhm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
GoCollect. GoCollect. GoCollect.

Are you like Beetlejuice only less malevolent?

Ha - pretty much I suppose. I do like to monitor chatter about the brand.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector ares private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_1

How come?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
I signed up for GoCollect, but noticed that many variants I own are not even listed.
Does anybody know how to go about requesting for variant issues to be added by GoCollect?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector TimesChange private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS could get the data from the auction houses and buy the data from eBay, I think a third party sells data.

It would be a great addition to the top membership perks, and one step ahead of the competition.

Just a thought.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Sqeggs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesChange
CBCS could get the data from the auction houses and buy the data from eBay, I think a third party sells data.

It would be a great addition to the top membership perks, and one step ahead of the competition.

Just a thought.

I think it's an excellent thought. Just the type of thing they should be doing to take advantage of the golden opportunity that CGC's stumble has given them.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Mikes_Rack private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares
Quote:

How come?
I was led to believe that CGC would not allow his site to link to the CGC census if he incorporated CBCS slabs. GoCollect is good but I think it only has eBay sales and not the auction houses.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes_Rack
Quote:
Quote:

How come?
I was led to believe that CGC would not allow his site to link to the CGC census if he incorporated CBCS slabs. GoCollect is good but I think it only has eBay sales and not the auction houses.

Why would GPA need the CGC census? How does that affect their collection of completed sales data?

Btw, I like your Futurama avatar :thumbsup:
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Claudio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

How come?

$$
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector nevinem private msg quote post Address this user
If someone had the time and resources, I believe a partnership of sorts would be ideal. Could you imagine having Heritage/Comiclink/eBay sales data every week and using accurate information to produce price history and trends?

The interfaces within GPA and gocollect are pretty problematic when it comes to total ease of use and customization. Having a site with accurate timely data and the ability to follow books you own/are interested in / etc. with the click of a button would take the price tracking world by storm.

One better would be if CBCS was able to do this all themselves and integrate it into their census when that comes, but that is a dream lol.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector LordRahl private msg quote post Address this user
CL won't release sales data. They don't do it for CGC so why would they change their stance for CBCS. I do hope that Go Collect starts to incorporate the auction houses that do report sales data.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How come?

Why would GPA need the CGC census? How does that affect their collection of completed sales data?

I don't understand why they would need this information either, especially since the census has been mangled by CPRs.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector LordRahl private msg quote post Address this user
Need might be too strong a word but I will say I frequently use the census link in GPA so there is value there. Census ghosts notwithstanding.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRahl
CL won't release sales data. They don't do it for CGC so why would they change their stance for CBCS. I do hope that Go Collect starts to incorporate the auction houses that do report sales data.

I’ve always been under the impression that CL only wanted to release selective info to GPA, and George said all or nothing so that’s why GPA doesn’t track CL. However, the last time I tried a search to find find a statement from GPA on the subject I could not find it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

+1
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Need might be too strong a word but I will say I frequently use the census link in GPA so there is value there. Census ghosts notwithstanding.

But what does the census have to do with gathering completed listings?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon
Quote:

I’ve always been under the impression that CL only wanted to release selective info to GPA, and George said all or nothing so that’s why GPA doesn’t track CL.

That's right, Josh only wanted to report the really good sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon
However, the last time I tried a search to find find a statement from GPA on the subject I could not find it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1499982

Josh - "I offered to give GPA some high-end ComicLink sales, not all sales, and if it is all-or-nothing I am not comfortable with handing over all of that valuable data to GPA or any other company. The offer I extended was based on thinking that GPA would prefer more data to less, especially in the high dollar department, as it is currently lacking all of ComicLink's high dollar sales. I thought it would benefit your customers to have more information in this department going forward, however little."

George - "Josh, we can continue going over this. You want to report some sales to us, we would rather you reported all sales. Other than the chart busters section on our home page, there is no identifier as to where the sale comes from. I can't force you to report to us, you can't force me to change my policy. Dealers are free to do what they want, buyers are free to do what they want.

I stand by my service and don't believe it misleads in any way. If that is your opinion, well, that is your opinion. You ultimately deal directly with your customers and you are best placed to put your argument forward for whatever position you hold for any and all issues."
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Stelbert! I was starting to think I was misremembering.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqeggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesChange

Just a thought.

I think it's an excellent thought. Just the type of thing they should be doing to take advantage of the golden opportunity that CGC's stumble has given them.

Right.

I will add that if CBCS were to take advantage of this opportunity, they would be well served by getting their CBCS Collector Sets up and going.

That is a big step in increasing the market value of CBCS graded books.

I think CGC will eventually start incorporating inner wells into their cases again, they cannot afford not to.Reholdering books is a stopgap, not a permanent solution.I understand why CGC has not made any public concessions regarding issues with their new holder.To do so would be corporate suicide.

CGC graded (new holder) books will surely start to see a drop in FMV, as more slabs exhibit waviness and knowledge of the problem becomes widespread.

Once CGC (new holder) slabs drop in FMV, you will see a very large dip in CGC submissions.

I cannot stress just how bad it is for the hobby as a whole, for CGC to be viewed as uncredible.This will negatively impact everyone who collects comics, not only CGC and those who buy & sell CGC graded books.

In the meantime, CBCS has a window of time in which they can truly raise their standing in the marketplace.

I am every bit as confident in the CBCS graders' abilities to grade as I am in CGC's graders' abilities to grade.

My confidence really means nothing in the face of public confidence.

Public confidence is increased by time in the marketplace as a trusted service provider, which CGC is well ahead of CBCS by well over a decade.

CBCS can shorten that perceived gap in experience by upping their ante with a Collector / Registry Set and a site that shows the sales of CBCS slabs, with links to a CBCS census.

Along with fine tuning this forum,these are the last 3 things missing from CBCS, to be regarded as equal to CGC.

Personally, as I have said on numerous occasions, I believe that CBCS and CGC are both equally competent WRT grading.

Again, as I have said, I am referring to market perception.That is the key, not my (or any other consumer or dealer) personal opinion or feedback.

CBCS would have to hire a couple more tech guys to get this ball into steamrolling mode but it would be well worth the expense.

In the long run, after CGC reformats their new holder utilizing an inner well thereby doing away with waviness issues altogether, we will see a more even playing field between prices realized for CGC and CBCS graded books.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector cloudcloddie private msg quote post Address this user
has this forum always been CAKKED?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Sqeggs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How come?

I don't understand why they would need this information either, especially since the census has been mangled by CPRs.

They don't necessarily need it, but I often click on the census link after looking at prices of GA books. For the scarcer books, it's worth knowing whether 40 copies or 4 copies have been slabbed -- and yes CPRs can screw that up a bit.

So, I think that George is probably right to be reluctant to lose the links.

There are also the links to the cert numbers. Those are useful as well for looking up grading dates and grading notes. I assume he would lose the ability to include those links, as well.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Well CBCS's new IT guy just started 2 days ago, I'm sure he has his plate full.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcloddie
has this forum always been CAKKED?

Good job in offering up pointless drivel, instead of a well thought out reply to the matters at hand.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How come?

They don't necessarily need it, but I often click on the census link after looking at prices of GA books. For the scarcer books, it's worth knowing whether 40 copies or 4 copies have been slabbed -- and yes CPRs can screw that up a bit.

No doubt that one-click census links are nice. In the context of the original question, not letting GPA link to the census didn't seem like much of a threat to me.
As long as CGC doesn't start charging for the census!
Note: you can also see CGC census #s on MCS' site and Heritage iirc.

Quote:
There are also the links to the cert numbers. Those are useful as well for looking up grading dates and grading notes. I assume he would lose the ability to include those links, as well.

This I did not know, that's very convenient.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Easiest way to look up census numbers. Sometimes it can be a little slow, but that's a small price to pay for the convenience

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
Easiest way to look up census numbers. Sometimes it can be a little slow, but that's a small price to pay for the convenience

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/

That's CGC data.

Not CBCS data.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601464 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?